Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freepomme

Suspended
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
White iPhone 4......
No, not like this one. The majority of the time spent with this iPhone 7 is going to be you not having any Airpods and running around with an adapter.

I told people to wait for the 8. I said that back during the keynote when I realized the iPhone 7 wouldn't be shipping with the Airpods in the box.

Now you have a phone with an adapter trying to do what you could easily do with the iPhone 6s. We thought there was something special about Apple's Airpods vs the competition. But this is simply not the case as now every manufacturer under the sun is coming out with Bluetooth earphones. What advantage does Apple really have?

Removing the headphone jack was dumb. I didn't believe it when I first heard it.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
No, not like this one. The majority of the time spent with this iPhone 7 is going to be you not having any Airpods and running around with an adapter.

I told people to wait for the 8. I said that back during the keynote when I realized the iPhone 7 wouldn't be shipping with the Airpods in the box.

Now you have a phone with an adapter trying to do what you could easily do with the iPhone 6s. We thought there was something special about Apple's Airpods vs the competition. But this is simply not the case as now every manufacturer under the sun is coming out with Bluetooth earphones. What advantage does Apple really have?

Removing the headphone jack was dumb. I didn't believe it when I first heard it.

Apple removed the headphone jack to push for a wireless future. Not to sell Airpods.

They will sell them when they are ready, a false start doesn't look great but it's better than selling defective products.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Last edited:
Reactions: toph2toast

freepomme

Suspended
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
The white model was supposed to ship alongside the black one at the iPhone 4's launch last June. But design and manufacturing complications delayed the process by 10 months, catching Apple off guard, executives say.

Airpods... so far 2 months.

P.s. Airpods will be cancelled the day Apple says so, otherwise they are just delayed
So you're saying that the white iPhone 4 didn't come out until around about the time the iPhone 4s came out?

This could pan out exactly like that. Because who bought that white iPhone 4 when they had a white iPhone 4s they could buy around that time?

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
So either Apple releases them as soon as possible and faces the consequences and disdain of the "I want it better wahhhh" crowd a la Samsung, or Apple delays release to perfect their envisioned product and faces the whining "I want it now" crowd...

I would suggest Apple should have ensured they worked and would be available before removing the headphone jack on the iPhone.

If the AirPods weren't ready, they should have delayed removing the jack until the next iPhone.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
So you're saying that the white iPhone 4 didn't come out until around about the time the iPhone 4s came out?

This could pan out exactly like that. Because who bought that white iPhone 4 when they had a white iPhone 4s they could buy around that time?
I am not saying, it is what happened.....

June 24, 2010 the Black iPhone 4 was released
April 28, 2011 White iPhone 4 was released
October 4, 2011, White and Black iPhone 4s were released

Are you suggesting that 6 months before the new iPhones no one buys the current model? Because it isn't so!

Last edited:

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Apple removed the headphone jack to push for a wireless future. Not to sell Airpods.

They will sell them when they are ready, a false start doesn't look great but it's better than selling defective products.

You're right in saying Apple is pushing for a wireless future and I for one am onboard for that. And as you say, selling 'Airpods' probably not a priority, if only because they know all too well there are plenty other wireless earphone options.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Or, you could, you know, buy a Powerbeats now and be happy, and then see what you want to do later on when the AirPods come out.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
If true, Yea adapters forever! (welcome to 2004), at least for this version.

Now the "most amazing phone in the world" - Iphone 8 - will get Airpods! Like no other phone! Cant wait!!!

Wonder how many other awesome "new" features that the phone 8 will have.... Better camera? Stereo speakers that sound great? Now Airpods?!?!? WOW!!!!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I would suggest Apple should have ensured they worked and would be available before removing the headphone jack on the iPhone.

If the AirPods weren't ready, they should have delayed removing the jack until the next iPhone.

Does not work that way. The jack removal was already under way before they found out the Airpods did not work.

It is not the end of the day. Have not used the jack in years. If you do there are ways around it.

Deal with it as this is just the way it is.

Reactions: 44267547 and nnoble

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Does not work that way. The jack removal was already under way before they found out the Airpods did not work.

It is not the end of the day. Have not used the jack in years. If you do there are ways around it.

Deal with it as this is just the way it is.

I did deal with it - I sold my iPhone 7 and bought a Galaxy S7.

I still say they should have got the AirPods match-fit before removing the jack.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016

Why? I've not plugged my headphones into my phone for nearly a year, why would I need an adapter?

Reactions: nnoble

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
Did you read the link? Go read it. Apparently all of the feedback that Apple got about these Airpods said that the Airpod was abhorrent.

I apologise in advance for the incredulity that follows:

Are you being serious? One article, not citing anything that appears to be remotely reliable - and this pearler:

"Based on the reviews of early samples by the tech press, Apple may have been surprised by the extremely negative reaction, including complaints about how difficult it is to adjust the sound, the poor audio quality, and their weird appearance"...​

So the writer looked at reviews of early samples (how many, by whom, where), then suggests Apple may have been surprised by the (alleged) 'extremely negative reaction' from these un-cited reviews - with complaints ranging from difficulty to adjust sound (no doubt a viable complaint - but how significant in the absence of having used them?), the poor audio quality (no worse - and some have said, slightly better - than the current wired pods) and their weird appearance'! Really, their weird appearance? That's not subjective in the least?!

Anyone who has an ear to the ground (har-har) would have heard several comments about how it is strange that there has been a delay given the numerous reports from those who have early review models that they work well - and are still working well...

And yet you just lay this down, and then act surprised that someone describes the article you have linked to (and your initial title) as being click-bait?? Seriously?

Reactions: Dave245

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
$159 for non working Airpods? This product was doomed from the start.

Talk about exaggeration... I see a mod changed the thread title and added a link which makes your point a bit more clear. Still, those AirPods will eventually be working like they should, despite these delays. There's never been an announcement followed be cancellation, right? I'm sure delays like these happen more often, some might not be made public.

freepomme

Suspended
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
What wireless future? Apple is shipping more dongles than everybody else! In the blind obsession with thin devices they give to you a LITANY of cords, dongles and adapters with their USB C and lightning cables. And there you go, lapping it up. Falling right in line. You took the bait.

Last edited:
Reactions: darthbane2k

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
What wireless future? Apple is shipping more dongles than everybody else! In the blind obsession with thin devices they give to you a LITANY of cords, dongles and adapters with their USB C and lightning cables. And there you go, lapping it up. Falling right in line. You took the bait.

Because Apple are making devices without the connectors at the moment, they are waiting for the industry to catch up, which it will. Apple have been doing this for years, very successfully i might add, they removed the floppy drive, they removed the DVD drive, they have now removed the headphone jack, sure people have moaned just like they did when Apple removed the other tech that i mentioned, but soon wireless headphones will replace wired ones, hence the Airpod's, Beats Solo 3 Wireless and so on.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous

I'm sorry, but I think you've taken the bait. This is a transition phase. A few years from now, this will be a non-issue. Wireless is where things will be at. It simply has to be. Look at the telephone. Dongles, thingimabobs etc. is part of that transition. And it sucks. But to argue that because it sucks, and because we're not there right now therefore there is no future for it, is quite frankly myopic.

And these articles just fill that void - looking to add as much click-baitedness to what must be easy pickings for ad-based revenue. Just look at all of us, arguing about something that really shouldn't be on the table. That article has zero credible sources. It's pure, unadulterated speculation, written to feed the perceptions of those opposed to Apple removing the jack, and rile-up those in favour of moving past where we are currently, physically 'tied' to our devices.

Macbooks etc. are going to have dongles etc. for a while still, until the rest of the industry catches up. But you started this thread off about Airpods. The latter, or any of the already existing bluetooth earphones already allow you to cut the cord, so to speak - so from a mobile perspective, the future is already here. It's just that many choose not to see it.

freepomme

Suspended
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
You have more cords now than you had. You're going backwards. How can you deny that? Look, look. The Airpods have failed! We would have been perfectly okay with removing the headphone jack once you had proven the technology, but now is not the time!

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Apparently the Airpods are not even coming out at all. The reason why is because they simply don't work. And they won't be coming out before Christmas because it's already too late.

Proof: https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2016/11/26/where-are-those-airpods-we-were-promised-by-apple/
That was the most idiotic horribly written article I've ever seen. 'When the airpods were reviewed they got an extremely negative reaction"? This person is either not living in reality or hugely dishonest in their writing.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. It's pretty simple without coming up with garbage conspiracy theories: Apple had issues with production and didn't make it in time for the deadline. They'll come when Apple has worked out the supply chain issues. When these were reviewed there weren't any huge issues. So I'm not jumping on the "oh no there was a huge issue that Apple had to work on" just yet

Reactions: Cigsm and 44267547

freepomme

Suspended
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
That was the most idiotic horribly written article I've ever seen. 'When the airpods were reviewed they got an extremely negative reaction"? This person is either not living in reality or hugely dishonest in their writing.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. It's pretty simple without coming up with garbage conspiracy theories: Apple had issues with production and didn't make it in time for the deadline. They'll come when Apple has worked out the supply chain issues. When these were reviewed there weren't any huge issues. So I'm not jumping on the "oh no there was a huge issue that Apple had to work on" just yet
There are no supply chain issues. Did you read page 2 of that article? Go read page 2.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
Why do yall keep apologizing for everything Apple does. It doesn't matter WHAT they do... Nothing can get yall mad. I'm bamboozled.

Now now. That's a bit unfair?

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I'm worried about Apple seemingly closing down their focus on OSX automation. I'm still angry that their laptops are no longer upgradeable - which means replacing my current machine for a similar one is going to require me selling a significant number of my organs, just to be able to put down the deposit on the loan I'll need to take out. And them pulling out of monitors, gives me one less thing to yearn for. And don't get me started on the Mac Mini and their most recent move in respect of the Airport and related routers. And the Magsafe charger that is no more. And the charging indicator. So, I'm not exactly sitting here thinking Apple can do no wrong.

But that has little to do with why I waded in here.

For starters, the topic caught my eye when I had a few moments.

But the link was what caused me to exercise my internet anonymity. I cannot stand articles like that. They represent (to me, at least) everything that is bad and wrong with the internet and social media today.

The only thing that makes me more 'mad' than them, is how easily the average internet reader just gobbles it up, as another voice inside their echo-chamber that some algorithm has deemed necessary to populate their feed with, confirming the bias they already had.

No analysis. No consideration. Just acceptance as supposed fact.

And what did that author need to do? Just about nothing. A few lines, not really saying anything, remaining vague with a catchy topic, and 55 comments later, and goodness knows how many views, he/she can sit back and marvel and the stupidity of the internet. THAT makes me mad.

And here I am. Another comment in the machine. So I'm clearly just as idiotic. :)

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
There are no supply chain issues. Did you read page 2 of that article? Go read page 2.
Point out to me where they confirm there are no supply issues. Please

Attachments

• IMG_0715.PNG
    IMG_0715.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
Reactions: 44267547
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.