Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I said a couple of weeks ago that Apple have missed the xmas market and it will be at least January before we see them.
I don't think it's a problem with the W1 chip as they are in the new Beats but they obviously have a serious issue and no doubt that someone's head will roll for this.

Perhaps it's not someone's fault for not delivering, but it very well could be an engineering/technical issue through Beta or manufacturing.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Expected delivery in February if lucky. They have said nothing and it will unlikely be huge volumes to satisfy the demand.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Expected delivery in February if lucky. They have said nothing and it will unlikely be huge volumes to satisfy the demand.

Easily backordered into February when released. My thoughts are these won't debut until after the New Year. But a lot of customers are watching in the shadows for these to release.

Reactions: blaine07

tembelreis

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2014
I don't think even Apple knows when they are going to release it. Such a mess.

And I have been thinking what it could be.

• Some thinks it could be the BT connection but W1 chip works on other products without a problem.
  • If it was just about "need little more time to make them ready for customers" then I think they would have been out by now.
  • This guy in this article says he has been using them for two months with no problems so it really can't be something major
  • Did they really think Siri to control volume was good enough and decided it is not after every single reviewer highlighted as a setback? And now perhaps they are changing/adding a sensor for touch/tap volume/track control? And I think this would be unlike Apple.. they could simply add this to version 2 next year.
  • Or are they having a mass production problem? This seems likely but they "need more time" statement was a total lie then.
  • Or have they really promised more than they can chew? I mean this device promises a lot; easy pairing, no disconnection, multiple sensors, 5 hours batters, good sound quality, inductive charging etc. To be honest these are the reason why I am excited about them. We know Apple is able to deliver this kind of advance tech, I mean look at Apple Watch 2; 2-3 days battery, speaker, great retina screen, multiple sensors including GPS etc.

They missed the original launch date, they missed the Black Friday and they will sure miss the Christmas. Even Apple Watch was released 6 months after it was announced.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
Its appearing in Christmas store advertising at different apple stores. Pretty silly to suggest gift ideas if its not going to be out by Christmas.

Also a delay of 2+ months doesn't sound like a "little" more time.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Its appearing in Christmas store advertising at different apple stores. Pretty silly to suggest gift ideas if its not going to be out by Christmas.

I agree with this. Would Apple seriously keep AirPods on their marketing materials in store if they have no plans to release in December? Perhaps yes but it reeks of incompetence.

My gut says they will be released in December. But of course I could be dead wrong.

Reactions: Simche

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I don't know if anything has been added for XMAS, the same marketing banner/picture has been at my closest store since the Airpods were announced. I haven't been there recently though.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Interesting. I wasn't aware it was being advertised for Christmas. Then one would think it should be released before hand, that is if you can a get a pair. Apple needs to step it up then.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
1) They announce the delay a day before the launch date

2) An they still have the Airpods section on the main page, with unknown shipping date which is really infuriating

3) This all happens during the festive seasons, when ppl are desperately trying to get the best gift items they can

I'M SORRY PEOPLE! BUT THIS WOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED IF STEVE JOBS WAS ALIVE!!! :mad:

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
I might be the only one or come to think of AirPods aren't that big of a deal and are they really wireless when to change a track you are going to reach for your iPhone and no I'm not talking to myself (Siri) to turn down the volume that's not a solution.

If anything you got a great alternative which is BeatsX would allow you to do all of that for slightly cheaper and you don't risk of losing an earbud.

Coming soon or fall or winter or next year is a bit of a played out marketing strategy. I'm getting tired of it if they promise to deliver something they better live up to it, come on Apple.

Doesn't this **** go through a fair bit of testing even before the announcement is made?

And to say that something as small as a pair of your already existing EarPods minus the cable got postponed for whatever reason it's a bit of a shame really.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I might be the only one or come to think of AirPods aren't that big of a deal and are they really wireless when to change a track you are going to reach for your iPhone and no I'm not talking to myself (Siri) to turn down the volume that's not a solution.

If anything you got a great alternative which is BeatsX would allow you to do all of that for slightly cheaper and you don't risk of losing an earbud.

Coming soon or fall or winter or next year is a bit of a played out marketing strategy. I'm getting tired of it if they promise to deliver something they better live up to it, come on Apple.

Doesn't this **** go through a fair bit of testing even before the announcement is made?

And to say that something as small as a pair of your already existing EarPods minus the cable got postponed for whatever reason it's a bit of a shame really.

See bolded above. The thing is, we don't know what caused the delay. Apple never confirmed this. It could be for a multitude of reasons. It is unfair to the customer base that Apple hasn't apologized or at least acknowledged the delay. But in any case, Apple knows these will sell out. They will likely we backordered for months.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
How many people thing the Airpods aren't even coming out anymore. I mean they're not coming out this year, it's too late for that.
So either Apple releases them as soon as possible and faces the consequences and disdain of the "I want it better wahhhh" crowd a la Samsung, or Apple delays release to perfect their envisioned product and faces the whining "I want it now" crowd...

freepomme

Suspended
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
So either Apple releases them as soon as possible and faces the consequences and disdain of the "I want it better wahhhh" crowd a la Samsung, or Apple delays release to perfect their envisioned product and faces the whining "I want it now" crowd...

First they said they removed the headphone jack to make way for Airpods. When they realized the Airpods don't actually work, they then came back and said the real reason they removed the headphone jack was to make room for some gyroscope and a thinner design. Apple pulled the old bait and switch that's as old as time itself.

They're not releasing them in 2016. It's too late for that. And if they come back in 2017 and release them, if that happens I'm going to consider that during the release of the iPhone 8. So in my eyes they've been cancelled.

Sure, they'll just throw away the investment and opportunity to make money.

They're delayed, but will come out eventually.

$159 for non working Airpods? This product was doomed from the start.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
$159 for non working Airpods? This product was doomed from the start.

How can the Airpods be "Non-working", if they are not even released yet? That makes absolutely no sense. They will be released. You seem very concerned about these, even though you're looking for reasons to chastise Apple and the Airpods. Seems to be a reoccurring theme with you on these forums.

freepomme

Suspended
Oct 30, 2015
Boston, MA
How can the Airpods be "Non-working", if they are not even released yet? That makes absolutely no sense. They will be released. You seem very concerned about these, even though you're looking for reasons to chastise Apple and the Airpods. Seems to be a reoccurring theme with you on these forums.
Did you read the link? Go read it. Apparently all of the feedback that Apple got about these Airpods said that the Airpod was abhorrent.

Never has an Apple product been delayed like this and we now know that these Airpods weren't delayed because of manufacturing or because they can't make enough. No, Apple said they don't work. That's what they said

Which when I really started to think about it I've listened to Bluetooth headphones and they do cut out, they're not as reliable as a wired connection. I just thought of that.

They said they would come out at the end of October, I tried to tell people that that wasn't going to happen. They missed that, they just missed Black Friday, and they're not going to make it happen for Christmas. It's over, it's finished, it's panning out just like I said it would.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
No they haven't been canceled, they have been delayed, it is better to have a product that works than for Apple to release the AirPods and for them to have issues. I'm sure when they are released they will sell very well, i know i will be buying a pair.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.