Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWDbag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
Hello all,

Weird thing just happened to me.
I was listening to some podcasts, watching YouTube videos, listening some music, etc. for some time with both AirPods.

When I put them back into the case I noticed the following:

Screenshot_1.png

Is this normal? I don't see a reason why my Right AirPod is drastically with lower battery level.

Also another thing that I have noticed is that when they are fully charged 100% (overnight charging) as soon as I take the right one the battery immediately drops down to 99%. With the Left AirPod that isn't the case.

I got them on 4th of January 2020.

Last edited:

TWDbag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
No, that's not normal. A reasonable variance is 3-4 percent.

Have Apple replace them.

They are bought from a Premium Apple Reseller and that's why I am a little bit concerned - in case they insist on repairing them instead of replacing them. They are not even a month old.
To your knowledge, does Apple has something to do with it? Should I call Apple Support directly so I will make this easier for replacement?

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
They are bought from a Premium Apple Reseller and that's why I am a little bit concerned - in case they insist on repairing them instead of replacing them. They are not even a month old.
To your knowledge, does Apple has something to do with it? Should I call Apple Support directly so I will make this easier for replacement?

AirPods are not repairable-- they will just replace them.

TWDbag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
AirPods are not repairable-- they will just replace them.

Before I made this post I was chatting with Apple Support (they gave instructions what to do and yet this happened again) and the Advisor told me that in case this happens again I should bring them for a service (I supposed that is a repair).

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Were you using an app with the microphone, like calling or conferencing? This is normal in that situation because the side the mic audio is coming from has to compress and transmit the audio back to the phone, which uses more battery.

TWDbag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
Were you using an app with the microphone, like calling or conferencing? This is normal in that situation because the side the mic audio is coming from has to compress and transmit the audio back to the phone, which uses more battery.

It is set to Automatic.

j0nblayz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
Have the same issue, I believe when it is set to automatic, it will use only one bud for calls. I had couple buds exchanged and they both had different rate of battery draw when using for extended time for calls. But with my luck I could had 2 sets with the same issue, lol.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Hello all,

Weird thing just happened to me.
I was listening to some podcasts, watching YouTube videos, listening some music, etc. for some time with both AirPods.

When I put them back into the case I noticed the following:

View attachment 889409

Is this normal? I don't see a reason why my Right AirPod is drastically with lower battery level.

Also another thing that I have noticed is that when they are fully charged 100% (overnight charging) as soon as I take the right one the battery immediately drops down to 99%. With the Left AirPod that isn't the case.

I got them on 4th of January 2020.
No, that's not normal. A reasonable variance is 3-4 percent.

Have Apple replace them.

No don’t replace them yet - this is a known issue many of us are experiencing.

I’ve taken them to an Apple Store (after multiple testing over the phone with Apple Support) with video evidence of the inaccuracies of battery levels & they advised to wait for the next firmware update.

There are at least another two threads on this...

TWDbag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
No don’t replace them yet - this is a known issue many of us are experiencing.

I’ve taken them to an Apple Store (after multiple testing over the phone with Apple Support) with video evidence of the inaccuracies of battery levels & they advised to wait for the next firmware update.

There are at least another two threads on this...

Hi Ralfi,

I called Apple Support and I just finished talking to them and they say this isn't expected at all and there must be a replacement. They offered a shipping the parts (I don't know if Left and Right AirPod or just the one I am having issue) but because I am not in the US nor Canada at the moment they cannot to do so, so they told me to ask for a replacement at the store where I bought them.
The store is a Apple Premium Reseller.

Now, I've noticed couple of things that are weird as well to me (I've told Apple only about the first one, the other two happened after my conversation with them):

1. As soon as I take my Right AirPod from the case battery drop to 99% (my left one is still in the case). That isn't the case when my I take my Left AirPod.
    This has been tested when my Microphone is set to Automatic, set only on the Right AirPod and when is set only on the Left AirPod.

2. The following happened is when I opened the case, took both AirPods from the case.

Screenshot_1.png

3. Or even this after taking both AirPods out from the case - it shows that the Left one is still charging.

Screenshot_2.jpg
Now, for point 2 & 3 I don't know if it's just a problem with both AirPods or even a problem with the case as well.
After all of this I honestly don't want to take the risk of having a defective product and I will try to have everything replaced.

Last edited:

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
What firmware are you running? I’m on 2C54 (the one which Apple have apparently stopped updating them with).

If you end up getting them replaced, let us know how the new Airpod/s go.

Man, some of you people are gluttons for punishment.

Whatever.

I paid >$200 for these suckers. They need to work without me getting my panties in a bunch.

But do what you want.

There are no panties getting bunched up.

The battery readings are false ie. nothing wrong with the batteries. I’ll bet that getting them replaced makes no difference, unless a new firmware comes out in the mean time.

Try reading my post again & the thread I linked - I’ve gone into a store with video evidence & they didn’t replace them. This was after 5 or so factory resets over the phone & in store.

Last edited by a moderator:

TWDbag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
What firmware are you running? I’m on 2C54 (the one which Apple have apparently stopped updating them with).

If you end up getting them replaced, let us know how the new Airpod/s go.

Currently I am on 2B588.

IMG_0544.jpeg

TWDbag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
As soon as I take my Right AirPod from the case battery drop to 99% (my left one is still in the case). That isn't the case when my I take my Left AirPod.
This has been tested when my Microphone is set to Automatic, set only on the Right AirPod and when is set only on the Left AirPod.

Or even this after taking both AirPods out from the case - it shows that the Left one is still charging.

View attachment 889522

Here is another screen recording that shows how the animation (sometimes) goes crazy after opening the case, plus it shows the widget with incorrect information. As well as how the Right AirPod goes at 99% immediately after taking it out from the case. -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujo3ljjyf6li92t/(5) crazy_animation + widget + right_airpod_99%.mp4?dl=0

The following happened is when I opened the case, took both AirPods from the case.

View attachment 889521

The screenshot above only shows that a problem only with the Left AirPod - here is a detailed screen recording what (sometimes) is happening -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/vunfo7tpfiihvef/(3) leftr-right_aripod_error.mp4?dl=0
Same is shown in the screen recording above.

Now, considering all of this happening to me and taking it into consideration Apple's will to send me replacement parts I don't know if it's a problem with just both AirPods or even the case - that's why I don't know if I should request (if possible) replacement of the whole product or just the Left and Right AirPods.

Everything is annoying and there isn't a peace of mind, again - I don't want to posses a defective product considering I purchased them 2 weeks ago. I had non problems withing the first week.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Yeah, I mentioned similar issues in that other thread & may have provided my screen recording showing the sudden drop in battery.

Now, considering all of this happening to me and taking it into consideration Apple's will to send me replacement parts I don't know if it's a problem with just both AirPods or even the case - that's why I don't know if I should request (if possible) replacement of the whole product or just the Left and Right AirPods.

Here are the 3 conclusions I received, RE: Hardware or Software issue...

Apple Phone Support: Software issue.

3rd Party Apple-approved repair centre: Hardware issue.

Apple Store: Software issue, & they dismissed the 3rd Party store's Hardware conclusion (which also didn't convince me).

Hence why I think replacing one bud, both buds or the whole thing (including case) won't fix anything & why i'm holding out for a firmware update.

Here's another thread...

Last edited:

TWDbag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
Thank you for the information.

I was listening some music and watching some YouTube videos when I heard some crackling. The first one was in the Right AirPod (Noise-Cancellation and Transparency Mode were OFF) and the second one was in the Left AirPod with Noise-Cancellation ON.
Never experienced such a thing when on Transparency Mode.

I will still ask for a replacement (One AirPod, both AirPod or the whole thing (including case)) because I think it's the safest thing (peace of mind as well) considering what Apple Advisors suggested over the phone.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Hmm yeah crackling doesn't sound good. It'd be a good opportunity to get them replaced.

Let us know how the new ones go.

(Keep in mind you may need a few hours/days to see if the battery issue clears up - I thought it did after a factory reset, but late in the same day, it did it again).

icloudUser

macrumors regular
May 20, 2019
The mismatch only happens when i use one of the earbuds otherwise when both are in use they are mostly at the same battery percentages.
I got mine replaced already once. One the buds didnt maintain charge levels. May be you have the same problems

TWDbag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
Hmm yeah crackling doesn't sound good. It'd be a good opportunity to get them replaced.

Let us know how the new ones go.

(Keep in mind you may need a few hours/days to see if the battery issue clears up - I thought it did after a factory reset, but late in the same day, it did it again).

So, I just took my AirPods Pro to the Premium Reseller where I bought them and they are giving me a hard time for a replacement even though they saw what was going on when pairing the AirPods Pro to their own devices in front of me. Screen recordings and screenshots were shown as well.
However, I called Apple earlier today to just ask what are my options and the Senior Advisor told me that my options are limited and he cannot "order" them to replace my product.

The reason why I called is because they say that they will try to repair them and if that's not possible they will replace what's causing the issue (one or both AirPods or even the whole thing). The thing is I don't want a repaired product (I think understandably) considering the product it's only 2 weeks old.

What I would like to ask you guys is - is there any other way Apple can assist if I get more problems with them about this?
Why I am asking this is because there is rumor that that particular reseller says "The product it's not for a repair and everything is okay" but in reality isn't. Again this is a rumor not my personal experience with them, but considering this I would like to have my options on hand in case this happens to me, i.e. they say that the product is all right or repaired but I am experiencing the same issues after all (including crackling).

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
So, I just took my AirPods Pro to the Premium Reseller where I bought them and they are giving me a hard time for a replacement even though they saw what was going on when pairing the AirPods Pro to their own devices in front of me. Screen recordings and screenshots were shown as well.
However, I called Apple earlier today to just ask what are my options and the Senior Advisor told me that my options are limited and he cannot "order" them to replace my product.

The reason why I called is because they say that they will try to repair them and if that's not possible they will replace what's causing the issue (one or both AirPods or even the whole thing). The thing is I don't want a repaired product (I think understandably) considering the product it's only 2 weeks old.

What I would like to ask you guys is - is there any other way Apple can assist if I get more problems with them about this?
Why I am asking this is because there is rumor that that particular reseller says "The product it's not for a repair and everything is okay" but in reality isn't. Again this is a rumor not my personal experience with them, but considering this I would like to have my options on hand in case this happens to me, i.e. they say that the product is all right or repaired but I am experiencing the same issues after all (including crackling).

No one can "repair" AirPods or AirPod Pros. Even Apple can't do it. The cases are sealed permanently.

TWDbag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
No one can "repair" AirPods or AirPod Pros. Even Apple can't do it. The cases are sealed permanently.

Is there an official Apple article that says that?
In case they say that the AirPods are repaired I can prove them wrong.

Also I need an answer about this:

perezr10

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
My AirPods Pro seem to discharge at different rates but after careful observation of how they CHARGE in their case I’m noticing that it may actually be a charging up problem. As opposed to a rate of discharge problem.

I’ve noticed that my good side always shows the little charging lightning symbol in the battery widget. Whereas my bad side often doesn’t appear to be charging even though it’s in the case. If I jiggle it, it will resume charging.

When I remove the AirPods from the case, they both show 100% but the bad side very shortly starts showing a lower battery level.

I don’t know if this applies to everyone else’s problem. But in my case, I think I have a hardware problem.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I don’t know if this applies to everyone else’s problem. But in my case, I think I have a hardware problem.

The best way to test this is to wait until one of the Airpods charge to 100% (even if the other shows 50%, 40& or whatever), & then test them for a long time until you hear the flat battery tone - if they work for 4.5 hours, then you have proof the battery reading is incorrect.

Incorrect readings are what is happening to me & others on this forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.