Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
Has anyone discharged both AirPods and case all the way down to dead and charged up all the way?

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I just got back from a run. Listened to Spotify high quality the whole time with NC enabled most of the time. I listened for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. The battery levels were reported evenly and was down to 73% when I got back. Put them in the case and immediately the right was reporting like 15% and the other like 53% then it put them both at 15%.

It’s clearly a problem with how the software is reading the batteries when they start charging. Could be that they are just such small batteries that it’s hard to get a correct reading.
I sure hope one of the batteries isn’t that much lower than the other!

Either way I hope they figure it out with an update! And I hope my APP can last long enough to run a marathon without dying! So hopefully the 4.5 hours they advertise because it usually takes me about 4 hours to 4.5 hours to run one!

Reactions: Zanton68

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Either way I hope they figure it out with an update! And I hope my APP can last long enough to run a marathon without dying! So hopefully the 4.5 hours they advertise because it usually takes me about 4 hours to 4.5 hours to run one!
With NC on, that'll be borderline.

With Transparency, you may just make it!

Last edited:

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
With NC on, that'll be borderline.

With Transparency, you may just make it!
I read if I just turn it to off it should last 5 hours like the regular AirPods second gen. But music just sounds better with the NC on! Guess I’ll leave it on for my short runs and turn it off to try to make it last a whole marathon!

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I read if I just turn it to off it should last 5 hours like the regular AirPods second gen. But music just sounds better with the NC on! Guess I’ll leave it on for my short runs and turn it off to try to make it last a whole marathon!

Never turn it off, especially when active. It just sounds awful. Transparency should be your ‘battery saving’ setting.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
Never turn it off, especially when active. It just sounds awful. Transparency should be your ‘battery saving’ setting.
Not really! Transparency still puts the mics at work which drains the battery as much as the ANC itself.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Not really! Transparency still puts the mics at work which drains the battery as much as the ANC itself.
Well ok, I get that. But any movement booms through the buds when they’re OFF. So when you’re in statue form, sure turn it OFF 😏

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I have the 2nd gen AirPods from 2019 and have this exact problem. It only started doing it lately. My right Airpod always drains down faster than my left one. In fact my right had cut off because of this. I’ve tried to pair and unpair, forget device and re install and it still happens. Of course I’m way out of any warranty. They still work and charge but the right is in the red a lot quicker than the left one and it’s annoyingly when the right side cuts off. I don’t know if it’s software or hardware issue. I might try the AirPods Pro this fall and hope I don’t get this issue.

IsKindaSuspect

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2020
Hello guys, i'm new here and i need some help. I'm from italy and i have the same issue that Andrea has. Exactly the same. Different battery levels and some bugs. My question is: should i replace them or is simply a bug that will be fixed? thanks to everyone. (i have airpods pro bought 2 weeks ago, and i noticed this thing)

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
Hello guys, i'm new here and i need some help. I'm from italy and i have the same issue that Andrea has. Exactly the same. Different battery levels and some bugs. My question is: should i replace them or is simply a bug that will be fixed? thanks to everyone. (i have airpods pro bought 2 weeks ago, and i noticed this thing)
It likely won’t ever get fixed and it’s a software issue. Just go with the higher battery percentage reading which seems to be the accurate reading.
No need to replace just for that issue alone.

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
I’m on my second pair of AirPods Pro. Apple say they have never heard of this issue before..... The replacement pair do the same. Put them in the case L 81% R 84%. After about 20 minutes L 73% R 98% then about two minutes later L 100% R 98%. It’s just a mess. On the plus side I can get at least 4.5 hours continuous use out of them. Just really annoyed that everyone I’ve had contact with at Apple say they have never had any reports about this.

Reactions: MrGuder

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
I’m on my second pair of AirPods Pro. Apple say they have never heard of this issue before..... The replacement pair do the same. Put them in the case L 81% R 84%. After about 20 minutes L 73% R 98% then about two minutes later L 100% R 98%. It’s just a mess. On the plus side I can get at least 4.5 hours continuous use out of them. Just really annoyed that everyone I’ve had contact with at Apple say they have never had any reports about this.
Don’t worry about it. Same over here. Just buggy software. As long as your playtime is good just enjoy them.

Reactions: Ralfi and Zanton68

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I called Apple support about this (I have the regular Airpods not the pro) they offered to replaced my right one which is doing this and cutting out on me but the cost would be $84.00. I said no.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I called Apple support about this (I have the regular Airpods not the pro) they offered to replaced my right one which is doing this and cutting out on me but the cost would be $84.00. I said no.

Why people continue to avoid advice in the many threads (& the one I created specifically detailing what the cause is) is beyond me.

^This is the bigger annoyance to me than the software bug 😂

Reactions: Superrenz

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Why people continue to avoid advice in the many threads (& the one I created specifically detailing what the cause is) is beyond me.

^This is the bigger annoyance to me than the software bug 😂

The advice I’ve seen, in different places, is that it’s a software fault, it’s hardware fault, replacing the hardware will resolve the issue, replacing the hardware won’t resolve the issue, it’s to do with noise cancelling, it’s nothing to do with noise cancelling etc etc. I still don’t know what to believe. I just want see “Firmware update: resolves issue for some users where battery life is incorrect”. Apple have told me it’s a software fault and they won’t replace the headphone until they done diagnostic checks. They have also said it is a hardware fault and they want to arrange an express replacement.

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
The advice I’ve seen, in different places, is that it’s a software fault, it’s hardware fault, replacing the hardware will resolve the issue, replacing the hardware won’t resolve the issue, it’s to do with noise cancelling, it’s nothing to do with noise cancelling etc etc. I still don’t know what to believe. I just want see “Firmware update: resolves issue for some users where battery life is incorrect”. Apple have told me it’s a software fault and they won’t replace the headphone until they done diagnostic checks. They have also said it is a hardware fault and they want to arrange an express replacement.
Complete chaos? Is that what you are trying to say?

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
You already have a way of eliminating the hardware issue. Just check the runtimes and see if it’s close to the advertised 5 hours. If the diff is close to half hour or more then you’ve got a hardware defect and replace them.
If not, enjoy the product and stop replacing them for no good reason.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
That’s why I tried to clear things up by making a specific thread about it.

Maybe I should ask the mods to sticky it for at least the short term.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I’ve never seen an answer for this yet and Apple won’t acknowledge any issue therefore they are charging for replacement.

On a positive note, I updated to iOS 13.7 last night and using my Airpods today multiple times and my right bud had not cut off and returning them to the case after listening is showing they are both showing the same charge remaining % so maybe the new iOS update helped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.