Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
In the UK, no one else ever handles your credit cards?

Does the UK have fully electronic ID?
No.

All transactions are either Contactless for low value, Apple pay(mobile payments), or with your pin number via chip and pin.

Places here often do not accept you signing for payment. If cards are used fraudulently using one of the above methods the bank takes liability as their system was used to verify the transaction and reimburses the retailer.

If a payment is made by signature that is verified by the retailer and thus have little protection if it’s a stolen card or fraud transaction.

With regards to ID. We have no legal requirement to carry ID, even when driving. If stopped and we do not have insurance, driving license and MOT. We have 7 days to take them to a Police Station.

Reactions: Tenkaykev

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Restaurant - I use Apple Pay on their contactless equipped card machines.
Fuel Station - I use Apple Pay on their contactless equipped card machine.
ID - I’m not legally required to carry ID. If stopped while driving by the police we have 7 days to take documents to a Police Station if they’re not with us.

It’s been a long time since I’ve been anywhere that does not accept contactless cards and therefore Apple Pay.

Well, yeah, I guess if you live somewhere where they bring card machines to your table, and all fuel pumps are contactless, and you never have to show ID for anything, you can get by without a wallet.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Well, yeah, I guess if you live somewhere where they bring card machines to your table, and all fuel pumps are contactless, and you never have to show ID for anything, you can get by without a wallet.
i guess I’m fortunate/unfortunate enough to look suitably old enough that I am no longer asked for ID to buy alcohol and other age restricted products.

The only exception to contactless at Petrol Stations is 24hr “Pay@Pump” which use chip and pin and don’t have a kiosk for payment. But the huge majority of petrol stations in the UK have a kiosk 24/7 where you can use contactless.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
i guess I’m fortunate/unfortunate enough to look suitably old enough that I am no longer asked for ID to buy alcohol and other age restricted products.

The only exception to contactless at Petrol Stations is 24hr “Pay@Pump” which use chip and pin and don’t have a kiosk for payment. But the huge majority of petrol stations in the UK have a kiosk 24/7 where you can use contactless.
ID isn’t just about age. Y’all don’t need ID to fly? Rent a car or hotel room?

durangojim

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
this sounds odd but since I only carry a leather "sleeve" for my cards/id I'm going to sew an additional piece of leather onto it as a small patch for the Airtag. I'll see how it works but I'm hopeful

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
ID isn’t just about age. Y’all don’t need ID to fly? Rent a car or hotel room?
Hotel Room - No

Flying we don’t often do internally. Not much point when. 4 hours gets you north to south on a train. But youre likely to be carrying much more info.

Renting a card just need drivers license. But those 2 are not everyday occurrences.

FWIW; I do carry a wallet with my license and bank cards every day, and intend on just putting am airtag in the coin pocket. I’m just saying that it’s possible to go about everyday life 11 months of the year without needing to carry a wallet in the UK

Reactions: Tenkaykev

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Hotel Room - No

Flying we don’t often do internally. Not much point when. 4 hours gets you north to south on a train. But youre likely to be carrying much more info.

Renting a card just need drivers license. But those 2 are not everyday occurrences.

FWIW; I do carry a wallet with my license and bank cards every day, and intend on just putting am airtag in the coin pocket. I’m just saying that it’s possible to go about everyday life 11 months of the year without needing to carry a wallet in the UK
As I wrote before, under those circumstances, it probably is feasible to to without a wallet. You certainly are more familiar with the environment there than I am.

Not everyone lives under those circumstances, though. It’s not very feasible in North, Central, or South America, which is where I (and hundreds of millions of people) spend 100% of my time.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
I live in a very highly populated area near Chicago, and you still can't get by without taking a wallet with you. All the big chains and some of the more tech savvy small businesses take Apple Pay, but there are still far more businesses that don't. And what if I need my driver's license, insurance cards, etc. for some reason? Those have Apple Wallet compatibility, but it doesn't display all the information I need when I need to pull the card up due to privacy issues.

So yeah, here on planet earth, I do need my wallet when I go out. What I DON'T always need when I go out is my iPhone. My cellular Apple Watch steps in just fine for that purpose. Smartphones are so 20th century.
I live in a small US town (<60,000 people) and I genuinely cannot remember the last time I needed to swipe a card. I can always just pay with Apple Pay, or if it’s like Walmart, just pay through their app.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
I live in a small US town (<60,000 people) and I genuinely cannot remember the last time I needed to swipe a card. I can always just pay with Apple Pay, or if it’s like Walmart, just pay through their app.

Literally every time I go to a “sit down“ restaurant, I need a physical card. How are y’all getting around that?

uuee6543

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2015
Literally every time I go to a “sit down“ restaurant, I need a physical card. How are y’all getting around that?
In other countries like the UK and most of Europe, *every* restaurant accepts apple pay. Also in the UK there is only one type of business I can think of that doesn’t accept any form of card payment - including apple pay - certain small barber shops. If cards are accepted, then apple pay is accepted. Which is pretty much everywhere. That includes hotels as well.

Reactions: Azzin

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
In other countries like the UK and most of Europe, *every* restaurant accepts apple pay. Also in the UK there is only one type of business I can think of that doesn’t accept any form of card payment - including apple pay - certain small barber shops. If cards are accepted, then apple pay is accepted. Which is pretty much everywhere. That includes hotels as well.
Yes, I get that.

Here, at most restaurants other than fast food, the server runs the credit card and comes back with a receipt. That doesn‘t work without a physical card. That’s why I asked someone in a US town how he avoided that, since I don’t know of a way.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Not one of you yet has addressed the fact that you can’t show ID or insurance info with Apple Pay. I am not leaving the house without a wallet until it does that. What is so hard about this concept?

Reactions: SBC44

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019

Most big chains have little kiosks sitting at the table that support NFC, and smaller local ones usually operate with a Square reader at the front, where I can just tap to pay. I don't usually go to sit-down restaurants, however.

Not one of you yet has addressed the fact that you can’t show ID or insurance info with Apple Pay. I am not leaving the house without a wallet until it does that. What is so hard about this concept?

I use a MagSafe wallet as my only wallet currently with my ID and my one of my credit cards (It doesn't support Apple Pay). All my other credit cards, debit card, insurance cards, cash, etc. live in a drawer in my house. If I've ever needed to present insurance cards or any of that, I've always been able to use a picture, and I store photos of all those kinds of things (health insurance, car insurance, etc.) in my Private Vault in my OneDrive, which is also saved locally to my phone.

It's not that it's a hard concept to understand, it's just that your rules don't apply to everyone. Before I had the MagSafe wallet, I'd leave my ID at home unless I was driving or I knew I was going to need it (like to go into a club or bar).

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Most big chains have little kiosks sitting at the table that support NFC, and smaller local ones usually operate with a Square reader at the front, where I can just tap to pay. I don't usually go to sit-down restaurants, however.

I use a MagSafe wallet as my only wallet currently with my ID and my one of my credit cards (It doesn't support Apple Pay). All my other credit cards, debit card, insurance cards, cash, etc. live in a drawer in my house. If I've ever needed to present insurance cards or any of that, I've always been able to use a picture, and I store photos of all those kinds of things (health insurance, car insurance, etc.) in my Private Vault in my OneDrive, which is also saved locally to my phone.

It's not that it's a hard concept to understand, it's just that your rules don't apply to everyone. Before I had the MagSafe wallet, I'd leave my ID at home unless I was driving or I knew I was going to need it (like to go into a club or bar).
It might be a MagSafe wallet, but it's a wallet nonetheless, so you're still taking a wallet everywhere with you. Hence, my rules do pretty much apply to you too.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
It won't be a thing. Not unless Apple allows tags that don't comply with the same privacy policy...that are allowed to be tracked for recovery of stolen items. Otherwise the wallet thief gets a notification when they return home that they're being tracked...and they promptly remove the AirTag card and smash it to bits. (or, similarly, the wallet if it's integrated / hidden).

Edit: Oh, and another point made on another thread - any wallets that block RFID capture will also interfere with any tracking cards...as the shield is designed to block radio frequencies (Bluetooth Wifi and UWB included).

Last edited:

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Yes, I get that.

Here, at most restaurants other than fast food, the server runs the credit card and comes back with a receipt. That doesn‘t work without a physical card. That’s why I asked someone in a US town how he avoided that, since I don’t know of a way.
I’ll have to remember to take cash when I visit the US after COVID. There’s no chance I’d let somebody take and handle a card out of my sight.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
No.

All transactions are either Contactless for low value, Apple pay(mobile payments), or with your pin number via chip and pin.

Places here often do not accept you signing for payment. If cards are used fraudulently using one of the above methods the bank takes liability as their system was used to verify the transaction and reimburses the retailer.

If a payment is made by signature that is verified by the retailer and thus have little protection if it’s a stolen card or fraud transaction.

With regards to ID. We have no legal requirement to carry ID, even when driving. If stopped and we do not have insurance, driving license and MOT. We have 7 days to take them to a Police Station.

Yep, in the UK many places don't like to accept cash now. Hell even street vendors these days have contactless payment devices to buy your latte with. Most days I don't take my wallet. No requirement to carry proof of ID in the UK. I have a scanned copy of my passport and driving licence in 1Password on my phone just in case.

Contactless is offered just about everywhere in the UK, not all locations have ApplePay (limitless) but the contactless limit got raised to £45, and is due to go up to £100 before the end of the year. Contactless is supported with ApplePay, meaning any vendor that has contactless payments you can pay for anything up to £45, more and more locations support limitless ApplePay.

I have two £10 notes that have been in my wallet for around 3 months now, I just use my  watch to pay for just about everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.