Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Most of the stuff I do every day don’t require cash anymore, my city also has Apple Pay Express Transit so even the travel card is on the Apple Watch, together with my credit cards etc.
But I still need to carry a wallet due to the ID card / driving licence, my work ID, petty cash in case some smaller shops that don’t have or deliberately don’t install credit card machines (to evade tax, you know). So it’s kind of worst of both worlds. I don’t have much use of the wallet but I nevertheless have to carry it.
Unfortunately we don’t have Express Transit where I live but we do have a mobile app that you show to the driver on the bus or the fare inspector on the train.

supposedly an Apple Pay bus card is coming soon from Valley Metro., similar to the LA, SF, and Portland implementations we saw recently.

Only place I can think of that is cash only here in Phoenix is Pete’s Fish and Chips, and it isn’t good anyway so I don’t bother with that place. Even the Mexican food guy run out of a gas station parking lot tent here has Apple Pay.

As for drivers license, check with your state government. As I stated above mine has an app for that.

Reactions: haruhiko

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Go to the App Store. Download Arizona Mobile ID. Set it up with your MVD credentials that you use for your car registration stuff online/Service Arizona. Voila, ID on your phone. Looks like a regular Arizona ID, but on your phone and your picture moves to prove to the cop it isn’t just a screenshot.

Yeah... found it... wasn't impressed...

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
The even more correct answer is get an Apple Watch cellular and don't even carry your phone around.

:rolleyes:
I thought you could pay using a non cellular Apple Watch, even if you didn’t have your phone with you.

I’m pretty sure that I’ve done it.

Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Only drawback I can see is making purchase over £45 which won't work on apple pay.
Incorrect. Contactless payments used to be £45 but that was increased to £100 a couple of months ago. Apple Pay is not subject to the same limit as contactless. I use it regularly when I fill up the car with petrol and have used it for many purchases that are well over the contactless limit.

Some vendors (such as Tesco) have an Apple Pay limit but that's not the norm.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
The Americans need to put pressure on their "sit down restaurants" to get this done - in Canada virtually all of them have wireless payment terminals that the servers bring to the table. Long gone are the days of giving your server your card and them running away with it. It used to be many of these terminals required chip + pin, but virtually all retailers have finally gotten the stick out of their ass and embraced contactless, so Apple Pay (and Google Pay) work virtually everywhere. (oh, and the limit up here is now $200 - hopefully one day soon it'll be limitless)

I do wish all of the governments would go to ID's on our phones so we could finally be done with wallets. (yes, make backing up to the cloud mandatory, so you can't lose your ID if your phone is lost/stolen/destroyed). :)

Edit: And, while we're at it - why the hell haven't the banks gotten rid of their debit cards?! (should be tapping at the ATM). NO PLASTIC, DAMMIT!!! :D

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
The only "options" I've seen so far are either attaching the AirTag like a keychain to the wallet...or putting it in with cards and adding bulk.

There doesn't appear to be a good minimalist option (so far).

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The only "options" I've seen so far are either attaching the AirTag like a keychain to the wallet...or putting it in with cards and adding bulk.

There doesn't appear to be a good minimalist option (so far).
I wish there was a wallet made with it in mind.

one can think Apple just wants you to use a MagSafe wallet anyway which is attached to the back of your iPhone.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The Americans need to put pressure on their "sit down restaurants" to get this done - in Canada virtually all of them have wireless payment terminals that the servers bring to the table. Long gone are the days of giving your server your card and them running away with it. It used to be many of these terminals required chip + pin, but virtually all retailers have finally gotten the stick out of their ass and embraced contactless, so Apple Pay (and Google Pay) work virtually everywhere. (oh, and the limit up here is now $200 - hopefully one day soon it'll be limitless)

I do wish all of the governments would go to ID's on our phones so we could finally be done with wallets. (yes, make backing up to the cloud mandatory, so you can't lose your ID if your phone is lost/stolen/destroyed). :)

Edit: And, while we're at it - why the hell haven't the banks gotten rid of their debit cards?! (should be tapping at the ATM). NO PLASTIC, DAMMIT!!! :D
I do all of this, including phone IDs, and I’m in the United States…

Even tapping at ATMs.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Heh - some of your countrymen were saying that it wasn't readily available. :)
A lot of people in my state don't even know about our mobile ID cards. I show it to people and they act like they have seen the second coming of christ and of course, then I end up walking them through how to set it up....in a line at the gas station. I should be charging for my support services. Ha.

As for tapping cards, it's old news now, everywhere but Walmart pretty much has it, same with Apple Pay, as it uses the same infrastructure as tapping regular cards. I even was able to pay my traffic ticket at the courthouse with Apple Pay. Also did the same at the car emissions station. People unfortunately just don't know. I even see people inserting the chip of their Apple Cards, when they should be tapping their phone to get the most cash back.

I use Apple Pay literally everywhere, I should put a list up of my recent transactions, I go without my wallet and keys all the time.

To be fair though, this is only my experience living in Phoenix Arizona, which is the 5th largest city in the United States. Of course I don't expect the same for say Montana.

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa
I live in a very highly populated area near Chicago, and you still can't get by without taking a wallet with you. All the big chains and some of the more tech savvy small businesses take Apple Pay, but there are still far more businesses that don't. And what if I need my driver's license, insurance cards, etc. for some reason? Those have Apple Wallet compatibility, but it doesn't display all the information I need when I need to pull the card up due to privacy issues.

So yeah, here on planet earth, I do need my wallet when I go out. What I DON'T always need when I go out is my iPhone. My cellular Apple Watch steps in just fine for that purpose. Smartphones are so 20th century.
I am a boomer, geezer, old fart. Yes I use the Wallet and have one. I have to show the damn insurance cards, I would think they would keep it on file. OH and now my covid card I have to carry. Are there any apps that would scan those document, I then could flash them and be happy? OK, I did carry a spare key in my wallet, before going to a pushbutton entrance, but still... there are times I would rather pay with cash than Apple pay. I have to show my drivers license, we haven't gone to using the app for that yet here in the boonies. Also that I have my funeral arranged card.
Now get off my lawn.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I'm a private hire driver (Uber et al) in London and I just haven't had the need to take my wallet out with me for a long time.

I used to pay for fuel with my Apple Watch. I have an electric car now and if I need to top up the charge during the day, I just user my watch to pay on the charger.

Other than that, I still use my watch for everything.

I appreciate my use case is fairly specific, but I'm all about being wallet free.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I thought contactless in the UK had limits? If it’s an Apple Pay contactless does that behave differently then if the shop accepts Apple Pay?

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
For the last one, Arizona has a mobile ID app. Check with yours state.
Delaware has one, too.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I think governments around the world should use the "Vaccination Passport" as an opportunity to FINALLY embrace digital ID's. Let's get rid of all of the damn paper and plastic we carry around!

If everyone can lobby their local representatives, maybe we can get this done!!!! :)

Reactions: haruhiko

jaymc

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Port Orchard, WA

You're want to give your government too much power.

• Haha
Reactions: iDaniel88
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.