Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Yep, in the UK many places don't like to accept cash now. Hell even street vendors these days have contactless payment devices to buy your latte with. Most days I don't take my wallet. No requirement to carry proof of ID in the UK. I have a scanned copy of my passport and driving licence in 1Password on my phone just in case.

Contactless is offered just about everywhere in the UK, not all locations have ApplePay (limitless) but the contactless limit got raised to £45, and is due to go up to £100 before the end of the year. Contactless is supported with ApplePay, meaning any vendor that has contactless payments you can pay for anything up to £45, more and more locations support limitless ApplePay.

I have two £10 notes that have been in my wallet for around 3 months now, I just use my  watch to pay for just about everything.
Pre-covid was in the UK for work every 1-2 months. I used to exchange cash, but not for the past 2-3 years. Now I pay for everything there with contactless. Especially great for Taxi, bus and Underground.

Reactions: calstanford

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
It might be a MagSafe wallet, but it's a wallet nonetheless, so you're still taking a wallet everywhere with you. Hence, my rules do pretty much apply to you too.
Well, no.

I could easily leave my wallet at home still, I just choose not to because the MagSafe makes the wallet more convenient for me. Any given day of the week I could leave my MagSafe wallet at home and be perfectly fine.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Well, no.

I could easily leave my wallet at home still, I just choose not to because the MagSafe makes the wallet more convenient for me. Any given day of the week I could leave my MagSafe wallet at home and be perfectly fine.
Well, you must live in a city/country where you never need any kind of identification whatsoever and 100% of all vendors no matter how big or small take contactless payments. I would love to live in a fantasyland where all I ever had to have with me is my cellular Apple Watch, but that’s just not reality. If I get pulled over for speeding and the officer asks for license and registration, do I just say, “Sorry officer, you need to join the 21st century like I have. Nobody carries a wallet anymore!”

I have a feeling you’re like 13 or you would not be suggesting that people should just stop carrying wallets completely. You fully admitted that you carry one sometimes too. Just because Apple made it and it sticks to your iPhone doesn’t mean it’s not DISproving your point.

I can’t believe I’m still even talking about this. It’s like trying to reason with my 10 year old but just end up talking in circles for 15 minutes and giving up.

• Haha
Reactions: macOS Lynx

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Well, you must live in a city/country where you never need any kind of identification whatsoever and 100% of all vendors no matter how big or small take contactless payments. I would love to live in a fantasyland where all I ever had to have with me is my cellular Apple Watch, but that’s just not reality. If I get pulled over for speeding and the officer asks for license and registration, do I just say, “Sorry officer, you need to join the 21st century like I have. Nobody carries a wallet anymore!”
If that's how it works in your country then yes, you need to carry a wallet.

As has been said many times in this thread, in the UK, it's not a requirement for us to carry our driving license and I don't know anyone who's ever been asked for their 'registration' during a stop. I don't even carry insurance documentation in the car with me.

To give you an idea how widespread contactless payments are - I've not used cash anywhere for well over a year and although I have a couple of tenners in my wallet, they've been there for a long time.

Having said that, I'm old school and wouldn't go anywhere without my wallet so if I could buy a proper leather wallet with a proper cutout to hold an AirTag, I'd happily do so.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019

I have a feeling you’re like 13 or you would not be suggesting that people should just stop carrying wallets completely. You fully admitted that you carry one sometimes too. Just because Apple made it and it sticks to your iPhone doesn’t mean it’s not DISproving your point.

I can’t believe I’m still even talking about this. It’s like trying to reason with my 10 year old but just end up talking in circles for 15 minutes and giving up.
I live in the United States, in a town with about under 60k people (college town).

Every major retailer I shop at (Best Buy, Walmart, Target, the grocery stores, etc.) either have contactless payments, or they have a mobile app I can use instead (like Walmart Pay).

The only time I need my ID is when I'm driving, which I of course take with me. Before I was using the MagSafe wallet, I'd usually just put it in my door or in my pocket.

I use the MagSafe wallet because I think it's fashionable. If the MagSafe wallet didn't exist, I'd just keep my ID in my pocket when needed like I previously.

I don't understand why you're projecting this idea that I think nobody should have wallets. You shared your experiences where you need a wallet, and I shared my experiences where I don't need a wallet. Given the fact you're having such an intense emotional reaction to the idea that someone doesn't need a wallet (and the fact you're using age as an insult), I'm surprised you're old enough to have a kid and you're not 10 years old yourself. I never tried to impose or say nobody should have wallets, but you seem unable to accept the fact that someone doesn't want or need one. The world doesn't revolve around you or your life experiences.

I'm 24, by the way, and you chose to respond. If you thought it was stupid, you should've done the adult thing and just walk away.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Yep, in the UK many places don't like to accept cash now. Hell even street vendors these days have contactless payment devices to buy your latte with. Most days I don't take my wallet. No requirement to carry proof of ID in the UK. I have a scanned copy of my passport and driving licence in 1Password on my phone just in case.

Contactless is offered just about everywhere in the UK, not all locations have ApplePay (limitless) but the contactless limit got raised to £45, and is due to go up to £100 before the end of the year. Contactless is supported with ApplePay, meaning any vendor that has contactless payments you can pay for anything up to £45, more and more locations support limitless ApplePay.

I have two £10 notes that have been in my wallet for around 3 months now, I just use my  watch to pay for just about everything.
At BP Petrol stations here, you can even unlock the petrol pump from the phone app, and fill up without ever having to go to the cashier to pay.

If I knew a magsafe wallet worked with my iPhone case, I'd probably just have one of those with my drivers license in and my Nitrox Card for scuba diving. Only drawback I can see is making purchase over £45 which won't work on apple pay.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I’m in the US, in a suburb, but I travel a fair amount (even now more than most). It has definitely gradually gotten to the point where it is rare enough that I can’t use Apple Pay that I get annoyed to have to get out my wallet. Sit down restaurants are a sticking point, as some have mentioned. And Kroger still doesn’t take Apple Pay. But that’s about it, in terms of my encounters in recent months. I don’t even carry cash anymore. I literally cannot remember the last time I used it.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I’m in the US, in a suburb, but I travel a fair amount (even now more than most). It has definitely gradually gotten to the point where it is rare enough that I can’t use Apple Pay that I get annoyed to have to get out my wallet. Sit down restaurants are a sticking point, as some have mentioned. And Kroger still doesn’t take Apple Pay. But that’s about it, in terms of my encounters in recent months. I don’t even carry cash anymore. I literally cannot remember the last time I used it.

Sadly, this is true... and I am so annoyed that everyone wants to have their own proprietary payment system - Walmart, Kroger, etc... With many credit cards offering the "touch and go" option on their chipped cards, one would think that NFC payment systems would be more ubiquitous...

I only use cash for purchases that I am hiding from my wife (gifts for her), because she's always studying the credit card bills or looking online. Maybe I just stop buying her gifts - that will fix her. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Tenkaykev

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
To get a rough comparison of the feel of an Airtag in my wallet with a Tile Slim I used a stack of 4 quarters in my wallet to simulate an Airtag and a single quarter to simulate a Slim. The “Airtag” stack was not bad but I purchased a Slim.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
You're lucky. I live in Silicon Valley, and even here I run into places that don't accept it a lot. For me even places that accept Apple Pay don't always work, because their readers are sometimes out of order. Heck, the laundry machine at my apartment complex accepts Apple Pay...that bit's been broken for 2 months now. All the Chevron stations in my area claim to take Apple Pay...it never works.

I would be happy if someone would make a thin wallet with a built-in Air Tag slot.

Reactions: haruhiko

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Can you explain how you’ve been using ApplePay in, say, a restaurant at which the server runs your card? Or at a gas pump or other POS location which isn‘t equipped for NFC transactions?

Or how you provide ID with ApplePay?
For the last one, Arizona has a mobile ID app. Check with yours state.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Of course this one turned into a US vs. Other countries war. Well, I guess I will post my personal experience.

Almost everywhere I go now has Apple Pay. The layman doesn't know what to look for, but having worked in the industry I do. I even see people inserting Apple Cards into chip readers, that have Apple Pay on them. To be frank, this just means that John Q. Public can't comprehend with all of this "new tech"

I don't carry a wallet. On days I do, I carry a very slim one, that holds two cards, an Apple Card, and an ID. My state is one of the few with a mobile app that can replace your ID, called Arizona Mobile ID. I have used this ID during traffic stops, and to pick up pre-paid items from the Apple Store without any issue. You don't have to hand your phone to the cop, they just write the ID number off of the app and go run whatever they need in their car. If you really are afraid this is going to happen anyway, just turn on Guided Access, and triple click the side button 3 times to "lock" the phone to the driver license app.

My car has an app that I can just use to unlock the door, so I don't carry any keys either. I do have an AirTag on the car key on days I choose to use the key. I enter my home through my garage door, which I just use a HomeKit widget in control center to open if I am taking the bus, or the button that is already in the car if I am driving. If my phone dies, I have a backup way to get into my car, so I am not worried about that either. Same for the garage door, where I can just type in a PIN on the wall to open it as a backup.

The key here is choice. You choose how you want to live your life, I choose to live mine "on my iPhone" and Apple Watch.

And yes you can get by with just your Apple Pay in most cases, without having to worry about physical cards. In fact, a lot of restaurants I frequent, I just walk up to the server station to use Apple Pay and no one really had an issue with it at all, unless I know the place doesn't have Apple Pay at all, for which I plan for those days, and I can take my wallet with me. I don't go to sit-down restaurants on a whim, so its a non issue. and every fast food place but Wendys has Apple Pay.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Tell me more about this "mobile ID app".
Go to the App Store. Download Arizona Mobile ID. Set it up with your MVD credentials that you use for your car registration stuff online/Service Arizona. Voila, ID on your phone. Looks like a regular Arizona ID, but on your phone and your picture moves to prove to the cop it isn’t just a screenshot.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Can you fly with it? Can't with Lousiana's, the last I read.
No you can’t. But I will always take a physical wallet and physical Apple Card when traveling. This is something that has to change on the federal level, so not much your state can do until TSA is ready to change.
Once more states have mobile ID, and a unifying way to verify them they will probably finally accept them.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Of course this one turned into a US vs. Other countries war. Well, I guess I will post my personal experience.

Almost everywhere I go now has Apple Pay. The layman doesn't know what to look for, but having worked in the industry I do. I even see people inserting Apple Cards into chip readers, that have Apple Pay on them. To be frank, this just means that John Q. Public can't comprehend with all of this "new tech"

I don't carry a wallet. On days I do, I carry a very slim one, that holds two cards, an Apple Card, and an ID. My state is one of the few with a mobile app that can replace your ID, called Arizona Mobile ID. I have used this ID during traffic stops, and to pick up pre-paid items from the Apple Store without any issue. You don't have to hand your phone to the cop, they just write the ID number off of the app and go run whatever they need in their car. If you really are afraid this is going to happen anyway, just turn on Guided Access, and triple click the side button 3 times to "lock" the phone to the driver license app.

My car has an app that I can just use to unlock the door, so I don't carry any keys either. I do have an AirTag on the car key on days I choose to use the key. I enter my home through my garage door, which I just use a HomeKit widget in control center to open if I am taking the bus, or the button that is already in the car if I am driving. If my phone dies, I have a backup way to get into my car, so I am not worried about that either. Same for the garage door, where I can just type in a PIN on the wall to open it as a backup.

The key here is choice. You choose how you want to live your life, I choose to live mine "on my iPhone" and Apple Watch.

And yes you can get by with just your Apple Pay in most cases, without having to worry about physical cards. In fact, a lot of restaurants I frequent, I just walk up to the server station to use Apple Pay and no one really had an issue with it at all, unless I know the place doesn't have Apple Pay at all, for which I plan for those days, and I can take my wallet with me. I don't go to sit-down restaurants on a whim, so its a non issue. and every fast food place but Wendys has Apple Pay.
Getting better, but it's not to the point where it would be worth it to try to live without a wallet. A Ridge with a DL, handgun license, AMEX, and Apple Card isn't too burdensome and having it and not needing it beats needing it and not having it.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

Most of the stuff I do every day don’t require cash anymore, my city also has Apple Pay Express Transit so even the travel card is on the Apple Watch, together with my credit cards etc.
But I still need to carry a wallet due to the ID card / driving licence, my work ID, petty cash in case some smaller shops that don’t have or deliberately don’t install credit card machines (to evade tax, you know). So it’s kind of worst of both worlds. I don’t have much use of the wallet but I nevertheless have to carry it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.