Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2013
There is no such adapter as far as I know. As for building -- well, how good are your electronics skills?

Just sell the old one. You'll get enough money to buy two new ones from a 3rd party. The beauty of the USB-C port is that it's a standard. Sure, you can use Apple's big fat heavy 87W charger. However, I get through the day with a 45W charger. Here are two very well tested ones:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8C6ULO (Anker)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ET762XS (iVoler)

In a pinch, I've charged my MBP with a 40W Nintendo Switch charger!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7RUZ49

Great options. In fact, I have the Anker already in my shopping cart, just waiting for my Lumsig (https://www.amazon.com/Lumsing-Charger-Foldable-Macbook-Compatible/dp/B01I1OIO4A) charger to arrive. It says 48 Watt, delivering only 30W to the USB-C port, so I hope that I will be able to work, even if the battery doesn't charge. But if it doesn't, I'll get one of the options you linked. The iVoler looks cool.

Reactions: bartvk

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
I haven't tried it personally, but my impression is that its wattage is suitable for a 13" Macbook Pro laptop, but is underpowered for a 15" one.

Thank you. Do you know if there is a "directionality" to it? i.e. The adaptor only snaps on in one orientation

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
I haven't tried it personally, but my impression is that its wattage is suitable for a 13" Macbook Pro laptop, but is underpowered for a 15" one.
The description on Amazon says it can deliver 60W. That will limit the stock 87W charger, but considering that I get through the day with 45W, I think it's fine.

Edit: another review says about this:
DO NOT USE WITH THE 2016 MACBOOK PRO! I bought 2 of these after tripping over the power cable and sending my brand new MBP flying, and seeing casual endorsements of this on various YouTube Channels. I can tell you: 1) It gets very hot and is a fire hazard. I assume this is because the 2016 MBP power supply is 87W and the Griffin cable is only rated for lower power. 2) When the Griffin cable is plugged into the MBP it doesn't charge the battery.

What a mess...

[doublepost=1494773953][/doublepost]
Thank you. Do you know if there is a "directionality" to it? i.e. The adaptor only snaps on in one orientation

It's one orientation, one of the Q/A on Amazon says:
You have to plug it in one-way. There is both an indicator and the magnet prevents you from plugins it in the incorrect way.

Reactions: minton

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
The description on Amazon says it can deliver 60W. That will limit the stock 87W charger, but considering that I get through the day with 45W, I think it's fine.

Edit: another review says about this:
DO NOT USE WITH THE 2016 MACBOOK PRO! I bought 2 of these after tripping over the power cable and sending my brand new MBP flying, and seeing casual endorsements of this on various YouTube Channels. I can tell you: 1) It gets very hot and is a fire hazard. I assume this is because the 2016 MBP power supply is 87W and the Griffin cable is only rated for lower power. 2) When the Griffin cable is plugged into the MBP it doesn't charge the battery.

What a mess...

[doublepost=1494773953][/doublepost]

It's one orientation, one of the Q/A on Amazon says:
You have to plug it in one-way. There is both an indicator and the magnet prevents you from plugins it in the incorrect way.

Yes but the 13" isn't 87W. It's not designed for the 15" MBP.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Problem with these magsafe adapters is if data is being transfered and the magsafe connection comes loose.

Potential corrupt data, not worth it IMO.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Problem with these magsafe adapters is if data is being transfered and the magsafe connection comes loose.

Potential corrupt data, not worth it IMO.
Not a problem with power-only adapters (there's fewer pins included, so there's no way to transfer data), but certainly a problem with adapters equipped to handle data.

I changed my mind about wanting data-capable MagSafe-type connectors as soon as I realized that a dropped data connection would be disastrous. Besides, it's not like we're running ten-foot cables to external drives perched on neighboring tables.

Reactions: deany

kipwheeler

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2016
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/snapnator-is-a-scam.2025812/ links to arguments Snapnator is a scam. Read all the way through to the end to see full spectrum of impressions on whether the product is actually coming, or whether that company is just stringing people along. (I'm in the "it's-a-scam" category myself)

Addendum here: there are new reviews from Australia about Snapnator: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/snapnator-is-a-scam.2025812/page-4

This suggests I was/am in error, and the product really does exist.

Reactions: LLCoolJ94

ponytrekker

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
I have one. It's decent. Only negative is that the magnet disconnects more easily than the mag safe because it is not plugged into a recessed receptacle. It sort of sticks out more.
[doublepost=1496189141][/doublepost]
Yes. The magnets repel in the other direction. I use with my macbook.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
That one looks a little more flush but I wonder if the L shape would be more prone to be knocked off?

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
There's a new MagSafe-replacement project on Indiegogo:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/magsafe-now-with-charging-data-5k-video-for-usb-c#/

It's interesting because the design mimics the old L-shaped MagSafe connector. As with all crowdfunding projects, be careful with your money.

I like how it can stay in so just get the cable!
[doublepost=1496423450][/doublepost]
That one looks a little more flush but I wonder if the L shape would be more prone to be knocked off?

The 2012 MBP had L design. Cable would bend but in 2016 you could pick any port to use this.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I like that it has a light but they don't say if it changes to let you know it's fully charged and how bright is that light? Also they say Dec 2017 but in reality delivery will most likely get pushed back to April or June 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rorosbutt

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
I like that it has a light but they don't say if it changes to let you know it's fully charged and how bright is that light? Also they say Dec 2017 but in reality delivery will most likely get pushed back to April or June 2018.

That's awesome! I didn't see that! Miss the battery indicator on the side (maybe not a big deal but that was one of the reasons why I got into the MBP system)

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
I bet it's the same as with the Moshi charge cable. It's just a cable and only sees power running over it, or not. Thus can't distinguish between charging, or fully charged but still using the laptop.

Still if the laptop isn't used (closed lid), then that light may be useful.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
So, amusingly, I backed the snapnator thing, but ended up returning the 2016 MBPs, so now I have snapnators I don't need.

It looks like they only pass through five pins. Any idea whether they can be used for *anything* other than "powering MBP"? Like, would they work for charging things that aren't an MBP? I assume they don't work for general USB-C connections.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
So, amusingly, I backed the snapnator thing, but ended up returning the 2016 MBPs, so now I have snapnators I don't need.

It looks like they only pass through five pins. Any idea whether they can be used for *anything* other than "powering MBP"? Like, would they work for charging things that aren't an MBP?
Hmm. I'll bet they'll charge anything as long as the wattage is within limits.

I assume they don't work for general USB-C connections.

Do you want a data connection to accidentally disconnect?

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
A MagSafe 2 to USB-C would be really useful. Just like how they had a MagSafe 1 to MagSafe 2 adapter when retina MBPs came out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.