Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndreaB13

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2016
Yesterday I've received the snapnator, even though I requested (and received) a refund months ago. So now I have it for free :D
The shame is I don't have yet the MBP to test it, but the looks are not so bad like the previously posted photos.

Playfoot

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
I remember when Apple first explained why using all USB C ports for charging was better so you could charge left or right. While I agree that's convenient it seems like from last year to this year they should have realized the majority miss MagSafe and should have made some change.

I do agree, at times, the ability to charge from either side is very convenient. However, I do not believe it outweighs the benefits of the security of MagSafe release for those of in "high traffic" areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: deany and Daremo

Cycling Asia

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2016
Looks dreamy as a concept...but will believe it when I see it. Selling neo-magsafe fantasies seems to be a burgeoning Kickstarter industry.

And for some, the dream comes to a bitter end. Funding Suspended!

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 8.12.45 AM.png

Reactions: bartvk

interessiert

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
The outcome over all is:
Every simple notebook from LENOVO, HP, ASUS etc. has now access to MagSafe sooner or later (USB-C) - because of this strange Jony Ive design strategy an unique feature from Apple has been lost - congratulation!

This master designer forgot the basic design rule: USABILITY and ERGONOMICS
1. MagSafe lost :(
2. Adapter world hello :eek:
3. Touch Bar :rolleyes:

A ugly snake - hope they stop him in future ;)

NerdyMcNerdface

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2017
USA
I ordered the Snapnator off of the Snapnator website, not realizing that it was a Kickstarter. When it didn't ship and I saw various posts on places like MacRumors saying it was a scam, I assumed I'd just lost my money. I bought the Griffin and have used it with my 15" MBP ever since without any problems. Not as good as real MagSafe but good enough and it has kept my laptop from being jerked off the table when a dog goes running through the wires.

A few months ago I got a non-descript package in the mail from China. I opened it and found two Snapnators. I've tried it out, keep them in my bag for when I'm traveling, but have been reluctant to use them because of the things I've read about the suspect quality. The Griffin works so I just stick with it. But I can say that during the time I gave the Snapnator a trial, everything seemed to be fine.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago

LormaD

Suspended
Aug 20, 2017
Montreal, Quebec Canada
Pledged back in November 2016 as I waited to receive my Macbook Pro 13, and at the same time ordered the griffin magnetic charger. Received both the Griffin and the MBP 13, and after a day or so I returned the MBP.

I patiently waited till now to order the newer MBP 13", supposed to get it tomorrow. Still waiting for the Snapnator. Sent them 4 messages, and still no response. I guess I will have to charge with my Griffin (not that there is anything wrong with it) as I got duped by Snapnator.

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
Just received the Baseus.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1234664819/baseus-worlds-fastest-magnetic-usb-type-c-cable

At first inspection it's the real deal. Materials look solid, good packaging, minimal footprint, magnetic force seems just right. It just works.

Naturally i've just opened it...it could crack open in a few hours, but honestly it does not look like that. At the moment it looks like i have my MagSafe back (except for the minimal footprint and no red-green light. honestly insignificant issues vs. the benefits)

Last edited:
Reactions: LLCoolJ94

LormaD

Suspended
Aug 20, 2017
Montreal, Quebec Canada

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1234664819/baseus-worlds-fastest-magnetic-usb-type-c-cable

At first inspection it's the real deal. Materials look solid, good packaging, minimal footprint, magnetic force seems just right. It just works.

Naturally i've just opened it...it could crack open in a few hours, but honestly it does not look like that. At the moment it looks like i have my MagSafe back (except for the minimal footprint and no red-green light. honestly insignificant issues vs. the benefits)

WoW, looks awesome! But WAY over priced for what it is lmao.

I have the griffin one and it works well, received it in a timely manner (4 days from payment). My only beef, I wish it was a touch slimmer.

For what it's worth, I will NEVER buy anything through Kickstarter. They are as much a scam site, as the Snapnator creator is, seeing as how Kickstarter CONTINUES to support Snapnator by the reciprocating advertising (Kickstarter on Snapnator website, Snapnator on Kickstarter website) they do for each other with no regard for the people who actually pledged.

A2C1_1_20160422434510986.jpg

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
WoW, looks awesome! But WAY over priced for what it is lmao.

I have the griffin one and it works well, received it in a timely manner (4 days from payment). My only beef, I wish it was a touch slimmer.

For what it's worth, I will NEVER buy anything through Kickstarter. They are as much a scam site, as the Snapnator creator is, seeing as how Kickstarter CONTINUES to support Snapnator by the reciprocating advertising (Kickstarter on Snapnator website, Snapnator on Kickstarter website) they do for each other with no regard for the people who actually pledged.

A2C1_1_20160422434510986.jpg

Sorry I don't get how you can even compare the twos...I paid less for the Baseus than for
the griffin, and its obviously a superior product, hands down...I mean just look at the dimension of the dongle of the Griffin, and let alone the numerous reports of absymal performance of the magnetic implementation.

I really don't get it.

Also, Kickstarters is full of scams, but this just isn't. I received in a timely manner a neatly packaged product that simply blows existing competition out of the water.

LormaD

Suspended
Aug 20, 2017
Montreal, Quebec Canada
Sorry I don't get how you can even compare the twos...I paid less for the Baseus than for
the griffin, and its obviously a superior product, hands down...I mean just look at the dimension of the dongle of the Griffin, and let alone the numerous reports of absymal performance of the magnetic implementation.

I really don't get it.

Also, Kickstarters is full of scams, but this just isn't. I received in a timely manner a neatly packaged product that simply blows existing completion out of the water.

Pledge HK$ 195 or more
Early Bird Special
This package includes a Baseus Type-C cable. (Retail: $39)

Your life will be much easier and faster with the Baseus Type-C cable. We will give you 36% off retail. Cheers!

Includes:
  • Baseus Magnetic Type-C Cable
LOL

I paid like $35 USD at the time, and now retails for like $25CAD...

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
Pledge HK$ 195 or more
Early Bird Special
This package includes a Baseus Type-C cable. (Retail: $39)

Your life will be much easier and faster with the Baseus Type-C cable. We will give you 36% off retail. Cheers!

Includes:
  • Baseus Magnetic Type-C Cable
LOL

I paid like $35 USD at the time, and now retails for like $25CAD...

I'm not sure i understand, unless you are a Griffin employee trying to do the impossible...

Baseus: i paid around 25$, it can still be purchased for $25, and full retail price they state will be $39.
Griffin: retails on Amazon around 28$, listed on Griffin Website for $39.

Baseus: it works, has minimal footprint and it's power rated up to a 15'' MacBookPro.
Griffin: it does not work and you have a full dongle on your Mac, its power rating is not enough even for the 13''. Griffin itself does not report is as compatible with MacBook Pros.

Net, Baseus is cheaper, it blows the Griffin out of the water in both form and function, so what are you talking about?

Last edited:

LormaD

Suspended
Aug 20, 2017
Montreal, Quebec Canada
I'm not sure i understand, unless you are a Griffin employee trying to do the impossible...

Baseus: i paid around 25$, it can still be purchased for $25, and full retail price they state will be $39.
Griffin: retails on Amazon around 28$, listed on Griffin Website for $39.

Baseus: it works, has minimal footprint and it's power rated up to a 15'' MacBookPro.
Griffin: it does not work and you have a full dongle on your Mac, its power rating is not enough even for the 13''. Griffin itself does not report is as compatible with MacBook Pros.

Net, Baseus is cheaper, it blows the Griffin out of the water in both form and function, so what are you talking about?

I went on the kick starter listing that you posted. I don't make up the price.

Do you have a Griffin?

The Griffin works PERFECTLY. Charges just as fast, and just as well as using the TYPE C OEM Apple plug. So don't say it doesn't work. I know for a fact that it works. Because I have one, from a "known" entity in the Cable, Power, Case business for MANY, many years.... (no, I do not work for Griffin. No, I did not receive my Griffin cable for free)

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007

Do you have a Griffin?

The Griffin works PERFECTLY. Charges just as fast, and just as well as using the TYPE C OEM Apple plug. So don't say it doesn't work. I know for a fact that it works. Because I have one, from a "known" entity in the Cable, Power, Case business for MANY, many years.... (no, I do not work for Griffin. No, I did not receive my Griffin cable for free)

1. Yes you do make up the price, or can't convert HK$ in USD. Prices are numbers, they are not opinions. And the numbers say that the Baseus is cheaper than the Griffin.

2. There are plenty, plenty, plenty of reviews and posts on the Griffin complaining about the poor quality of the magnets. I am glad the quality is sufficient for you, i don't doubt it, but it's not for plenty of people complaining about how weak the magnetic link is. Just browse this very thread and you'll find plenty. My personal experience with the Baseus is that the magnetic force and reaction is 100% on par with good old MagSafe.

3. The footprint of the Griffin is huge compared to the Baseus, and again this is a fact. This is just a blatant and enormous advantage. Personally i would have purchased the Griffin even knowing about the poor magnets, but i really couldn't imagine myself leaving a dongle attached to the MacBook.

4. The Griffin power rating is not sufficient for even the 13'' MacBook Pro (own Griffin specs that do not report the Breaksafe as compatible with Macbook Pros), meaning that charging it will either damage something or charge slower (very slightly slower for the 13'', much slower for the 15'').

You might have had bad experiences on Kickstarter and i'm sorry for this, but the Baseus is a really good product that was perfectly packaged and shipped right on schedule, and really comparing it to the griffin is like comparing a Skoda to a BMW.
Rightfully so, as the Baseus came to the market several months after the Griffin.

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
OMG... what is blatant, is how you are part of the Baseus team, trying to peddle your wares here...

shame shame shame on Baseus.
OMG... what is blatant, is how you are part of the Baseus team, trying to peddle your wares here...

shame shame shame on Baseus.

UBER Lol..

1- i'm member of MacRumors since 10 years, i think i never posted a review on a product.

2- you are a member of MacRumors since one week, and your very only posts are about how poor a competitor to the Griffin is and how cool the Griffin is.

3- do you seriously think a chinese micro-company selling a product on kickstarter for 30 dollars is somehow recruiting a random italian guy to post about their product? By the way, my user name is my real name.

Seriously, just disappear and tell your colleagues to copy the Baseus for the v2 of the BreakSafe.

caspergirl

macrumors regular
May 15, 2010
I spotted it because I was looking for either baseus or bolt s. Finally I pledged bolt s

Is baseus capable for data transfer or only charging?

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007

Do you have a Griffin?

1- the price is stated in kickstarter, just do
I spotted it because I was looking for either baseus or bolt s. Finally I pledged bolt s

Is baseus capable for data transfer or only charging?

Didn't know about the bolt s, to me they look identical except perhaps that the baseus calbe is nylonish.

I think baseus its power only, not data, don't know as its irrelevant for my user case. Should be specified in the kickstarter page I believe.

Reactions: caspergirl

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago

Yes... This is same one I received, only it doesn't work. What makes me the most upset, I can't get a response from the company. Not from email, not on kick starter... No where. I'm happy yours works, I wish mine did. I love the look and feel, but the customer support is horrible. All I need is the adapter replaced. :(

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
Yes... This is same one I received, only it doesn't work. What makes me the most upset, I can't get a response from the company. Not from email, not on kick starter... No where. I'm happy yours works, I wish mine did. I love the look and feel, but the customer support is horrible. All I need is the adapter replaced. :(

That's the bad part of kickstarter and the likes...good luck getting a replacement from a micro company somewhere in China :( .
Honestly I consider those purchase a little less risky then sports betting...and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if my Baseus will break sooner or later. After all this thing is now selling for $15...still, so far so very good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.