Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I can offer some definitive advice: do NOT buy a Snapnator. It was one of the worse Kickstarter campaigns ever and the quality is atrocious. It was mis-manufactured (and looked like poo). I emailed the company several times and they won't even respond even though they claim hassle-free customer service.

Stay far, far, away!

AndreaB13

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2016
I can't believe how is it possible that one has to rely on kickstarter campaigns that are not even secure to go well for a need like this that seems a lot of people have and complain about.
And I don't talk about Apple, I talk about external legitimate companies that don't need crowfunding.
The only one by griffin seems pretty bad from the reviews.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I got the Griffin cable for my rMB and returned it after two days or so, it's not reversible and it also breaks apart under its own weight.

"it's not reversible" now that is a serious issue I can't believe I kept mine.. and to think of all the times the USB-C cable just went in because it is "reversible". The horror.

Last edited:

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
"it's not reversible" now that is a serious issue I can't believe I kept mine.. and to think of all the times the USB-C cable just went in because it is "reversible". The horror.
The bit that goes into the computer *is* reversible, but what I'm saying is the magnetic bit *isn't*.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I've read a few posts that indicate the Griffin disconnects to easy, and that's what's keeping me from getting one
M

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
Reviews on Amazon for Griffin are not very good so I am hesitant and hoping for Apple to come out with their own version soon.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Reviews on Amazon for Griffin are not very good so I am hesitant and hoping for Apple to come out with their own version soon.

agreed the reviews of griffin on amazon and even elsewhere are bad

Bubbler328

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2014
SNAPNATOR

I was hopeful to support a startup company with a very desirable product. Unfortunately the following occurred when I ordered the product...

• Lead time on the product seems to be 2-3 weeks minimum. I didn't realize this at first, and it is my fault, but pretty crazy IMO. It's not made clear it's drop shipping from china to the US which obviously plays into this.

• The email response for order status was painfully slow.

• The tracking info didn't show up in the tracking system for days after I was given it.

• Horrible quality When the product arrived, the packaging and everything about the product itself was extremely sub-par. Cracked, uneven, rough, chipped, scratched, oddly textured materials were all that I could see all over both sides of the adapter. There was glue visibly oozing out of certain areas. Absurdly bad.

• The product did not match what was pictured on their website.

• When I installed the USB-C "Magsafe" side into the Mac (against my better judgement I wanted to at least test-fit it because I didn't think it'd fit, it didn't.) it failed to sit even close to flush with the housing of the MacBook Pro.

• When I brought these issues to the attention of the company, in addition to the fact that I could have ordered something from Amazon for the same price and had a guaranteed quality product, and then demanded a refund, all that I received in reply to the photos and facts I outlined was "we never sell it on Amazon".
That's it. Nothing apologizing, or addressing the quality issues. Just an improperly capitalized/punctuated 6 word reply without so much as a salutation or goodbye.

Buyer beware, this company is a scam and doesn't give a **** about delivering a quality product. I disputed via PayPal and my money was refunded.

EDIT: Here's a few photos. https://imgur.com/gallery/rYZaP

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
With 8-10 hour battery life in laptops these days... how long and how often are you plugging in your laptop with cables draped across the floor where people can trip on them?

Note... this is a rhetorical question... :)

Though it seems like these laptops are meant to be unplugged most of the time. :p

William Payne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2017
Wanganui, New Zealand.
I have been thinking about magsafe lately. Now it was a device that helped solve a legitimate problem........ However! As an ex Windows laptop user (still have one) I have never seen a windows laptop with any kind of magsafe like device.

It is safe to say that Apple laptops are outnumbered as far as users go by windows ones. Yet On an Apple Magsafe is like "MUST HAVE!!!!" but there are millions of windows laptops out there with no quick release system at all and the world does not end for those people.

Tripping over a power cord is a legitimate thing I have seen it, but how often does it really happen?

kipwheeler

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2016
I have been thinking about magsafe lately. Now it was a device that helped solve a legitimate problem........ However! As an ex Windows laptop user (still have one) I have never seen a windows laptop with any kind of magsafe like device.

It is safe to say that Apple laptops are outnumbered as far as users go by windows ones. Yet On an Apple Magsafe is like "MUST HAVE!!!!" but there are millions of windows laptops out there with no quick release system at all and the world does not end for those people.

Tripping over a power cord is a legitimate thing I have seen it, but how often does it really happen?
Happens enough to wreck two computers at my household in about ten years.... Or at least to wreck that particular plug-in point on those two computers.

I suspect the risk fluctuates wildly depending upon size of house/apartment and number of children/pets in each household. There's probably some sort of formula one could create based on square footage in residence and number of occupants.

Playfoot

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
With 8-10 hour battery life in laptops these days... how long and how often are you plugging in your laptop with cables draped across the floor where people can trip on them?

Note... this is a rhetorical question... :)

Though it seems like these laptops are meant to be unplugged most of the time. :p

For what is worth, our 2016 MBP 15 machines can not go a day. Even the machines that are used effectively for mail, presentations, Excel, etc. need two or more charges every day. Note, BT is off, and when not connected WiFi is also off. So, yes, charging when and where possible, even airports, cafes, train stations, offices, etc is important.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
For what is worth, our 2016 MBP 15 machines can not go a day. Even the machines that are used effectively for mail, presentations, Excel, etc. need two or more charges every day. Note, BT is off, and when not connected WiFi is also off. So, yes, charging when and where possible, even airports, cafes, train stations, offices, etc is important.

And you can still charge the new Macbooks. They didn't take that away. You'll just have to charge without MagSafe. :)

So can't you just be careful about where you place your laptop in relation to the charger? (like the rest of the laptop users on the planet?)

I get it. I've heard many stories like "Thank goodness for MagSafe. My dog ran by and would have pulled my laptop onto the floor if it wasn't for MagSafe."

Apple laptops were considered "superior" to Windows laptops because of things like MagSafe.

Well now they're just "equal" with regards to charging. :p

Playfoot

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
And you can still charge the new Macbooks. They didn't take that away. You'll just have to charge without MagSafe. :)

So can't you just be careful about where you place your laptop in relation to the charger? (like the rest of the laptop users on the planet?)

I get it. I've heard many stories like "Thank goodness for MagSafe. My dog ran by and would have pulled my laptop onto the floor if it wasn't for MagSafe."

Apple laptops were considered "superior" to Windows laptops because of things like MagSafe.

Well, I can not speak for the entire world...I have never thought Apple was superior to WinTel. Both are simply tools. The best tools to fix the problem should be used. Consequently, we do run both solutions for our team.

However, I do have issues when something that was unique and functional is removed for no apparent improvement in functionality. For the avoidance of doubt, I have that issue with any manufacturer be it Apple, Windows, Halliburton, etc.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
Jesus the USB-C cable that is supplied with the MBP is absolutely fine. Honestly you get used to it.

kjparfekt

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Washington, DC

Unfortunately not equal, my 2015 Microsoft surface had a magnetic charging cable same with the surface book.

Attachments

• IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 185

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Unfortunately not equal, my 2015 Microsoft surface had a magnetic charging cable same with the surface book.

Yes... there are Windows laptops now that have magnetic power connectors.

I was talking about years ago when MagSafe was new... and how the laptops were considered "better" because of MagSafe.

It was a while ago and it's moot since no Mac laptops have MagSafe anymore.

kjparfekt

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Washington, DC
I remember when Apple first explained why using all USB C ports for charging was better so you could charge left or right. While I agree that's convenient it seems like from last year to this year they should have realized the majority miss MagSafe and should have made some change.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I remember when Apple first explained why using all USB C ports for charging was better so you could charge left or right.

And don't forget the ability to charge a new Mac laptop with a USB battery pack.

Keep one in your laptop bag and have some extra juice on the go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.