Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyc

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
I received my kickstarter backed MagNeo after a 8 month delay.

The good: It works (for now). Magnet seems strong enough. I have it connected to an Apple Digital AV Multiport connector that has 3 cables (USB-C power, USB and HDMI) connected to it. My MacBook Pro is on a Rain design mStand so entire adapter is floating off the desk. The magnet manages to support the weight of the adapter and the connected cables fine.

Coconut battery is reporting 55w which is the maximum supported by the Apple adapter. Working 1440p HDMI video output @ 60Hz. I have not tested USB transfer speeds with/without the MagNeo yet.

The bad: Big, looks ugly, cheap and unpolished. The part that connects to the MacBook's USB C port is chrome does not match MacBook Pro color. Unprofessional packaging and instructions. USB C part is also not reversible. The magnetic connector part is reversible as long as the other part is connected to the USB C port the right way. No indications to indicate which way is correct so you'll have to test it out. The instructions pretty much tells you to flip both parts around until it works.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to be the only one that supports data/video as well as power. Not sure that I would recommend it as of yet. We'll see how long it lasts.

Attachments

• IMG_2612.jpg
    IMG_2612.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 448
  • IMG_2614.jpg
    IMG_2614.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 451
  • IMG_2616.jpg
    IMG_2616.jpg
    899.3 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_2617.jpg
    IMG_2617.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_2619.jpg
    IMG_2619.jpg
    696.6 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    896.8 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_2628.jpg
    IMG_2628.jpg
    827.2 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    894.6 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_2613.jpg
    IMG_2613.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 447
Reactions: LLCoolJ94

Bubbler328

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2014
I received my kickstarter backed MagNeo after a 8 month delay.

Ugh. 8 month delay and that is what they put out? It definitely looks unpolished. I had a similar experience with Snapnator. It was absolute garbage.

p910115

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2016
Ugh. 8 month delay and that is what they put out? It definitely looks unpolished. I had a similar experience with Snapnator. It was absolute garbage.
still waiting for mine to arrive...
but just judging from the photo above...
I would say snapnator looks much better...
But I sold both of mine unit months ago when MagNeo state they're ready to ship...
sigh..

kyc

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
After a couple of days of use, the MagNeo's magnet has weakened considerably and no longer supports the weight of my usb c adapter. I definitely do not recommend the MagNeo especially since many folks received units that don't even work. Also, I find it easier and faster to plug in a usb c cable than to align the MagNeo properly. I'm going to stay away from all magnetic adapters from now on unless Apple makes one themselves.

Elcompa

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
NC, USA
I bought 3 of the Vinpok Bolts and love them. I have only had them for a month, but all is well. I use them for a 2016 and 2017 ntb MBP as well as our 2016 12 inch MB. No problems. Seems like rather good quality for a minimal price.

Actually I bought 2 for $65 and they sent me a third for free in the same box.

Last edited:
Reactions: LLCoolJ94

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I have been reading about magsafes for the '17 MBP because the USB-C charger is definitely inconvenient compared with the magsafes on my previous MBPs.

magC's project looked the best, besides that they have stopped it and apparently started refunding people but I did not fund it anyway.

Furthermore, Vinpok is the last decent looking one? I'm not sure if I should wait longer or just order one of vinpok's kit on their Indiegogo page considering that it is no longer on their website for purchase.

Thoughts?

Elcompa

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
NC, USA
I have been reading about magsafes for the '17 MBP because the USB-C charger is definitely inconvenient compared with the magsafes on my previous MBPs.

magC's project looked the best, besides that they have stopped it and apparently started refunding people but I did not fund it anyway.

Furthermore, Vinpok is the last decent looking one? I'm not sure if I should wait longer or just order one of vinpok's kit on their Indiegogo page considering that it is no longer on their website for purchase.

Thoughts?

Get the Vinpok. Deffinitely worth the cost. Now my dogs can run around and NOT knock my laptop over!

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
I got the Vinpok and it worked great for 2 weeks and now it stopped charging. Looking at Kickstarter I am not the only one. Support seems good though so let’s see if I get a replacement but quality concerns me...

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
Get the Vinpok. Deffinitely worth the cost. Now my dogs can run around and NOT knock my laptop over!
That is definitely important. Exactly why I need a magsafe.
I got the Vinpok and it worked great for 2 weeks and now it stopped charging. Looking at Kickstarter I am not the only one. Support seems good though so let’s see if I get a replacement but quality concerns me...
That is not good... let us know how that works out. I might try to order a vinpok to try it either way because that seems to be the only good option besides Griffin but their product sticks out kind of a lot.

p910115

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2016
Got mine Magneo today.....

BIG AF ..
other then the color difference on the type c plug into macbook side
the build quality seems ok...
Works ok at least in charging
but 1 of the 2 set, is not reversible
but flip side and it work.

but after all the long waiting time,
I'm already ok with no magsafe

haven't try DATA part

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
but 1 of the 2 set, is not reversible
but flip side and it work.

As far as I know, the MagNeo is not reversible because there were problems with interference. USB 3 would not work with a reversible connector. So this is expected behavior. It was documented (a couple of months ago) in the Kickstarter comments.

p910115

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2016
As far as I know, the MagNeo is not reversible because there were problems with interference. USB 3 would not work with a reversible connector. So this is expected behavior. It was documented (a couple of months ago) in the Kickstarter comments.
It's stated before that the DATA part is not but charging is,
but only 1 set of mine that can charge reversibly.
Still... haven't tried the data part

beegoh

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2017
So this just came in and its real. Can use all my old magsafe bricks + cinema display magsafe to power any USB C device which is cool.

Only issue with it is that it can only charge...it wont hold a "topping off" charge unless the battery drops below 100%. Still not bad for 20 bucks and being able to use all my old magsafe stuff.

How's the elecjet magsafe adapter holding up? Am considering purchasing these to bridge the upgrade to the new Macbooks.

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
I've had my Vinpok for a couple of weeks and have stopped using it. The magnet is far too weak. Numerous times it has broke free simply from me lifting the MBP off my desk (cable was not being significantly pulled or stressed). It is nowhere near as strong as a genuine MagSafe connection

Elcompa

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
NC, USA
Hi all,
I am formally withdrawing my support for the Vinpok Bolt "magsafe-like" product. We ordered 3, and they all worked for about a month-6 wks. Now only one is working and Vinpok has asked me to make a video of me plugging them in and not working. I imagne they will replace them. However, with no modification to the design, I might think the others may "preform" just as well. bummer! i was really hoping this was the magsafe answer.

I'lll keep y'all posted....

Last edited:

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I've had my Vinpok for a couple of weeks and have stopped using it. The magnet is far too weak. Numerous times it has broke free simply from me lifting the MBP off my desk (cable was not being significantly pulled or stressed). It is nowhere near as strong as a genuine MagSafe connection

Hmm... that is a certainly a good reason and that makes me consider withdrawing my order.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I decided to hold onto my order on the Vinpok and I received it. I started using it today and I have encountered an issue with Time Machine with the Vinpok at the moment. I am aware that time machine only works while the laptop is plugged into power but the bolt may be tricking the computer that it is still plugged in when the vinpok cable is disconnected from the bolt. It seems that it attempts to backup and also incorrectly ejects the time machine external drive.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am going to give this one more try and I have this issue again, I am going to contact Vinpok to return it.

Last edited:

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
Continuing with my "Disk Not Ejected Properly" notification... I tested this a couple times again and also with the factory apple cable by letting the battery die with the external HD connected and afterwards plugging into the Vinpok or the apple cable. Afterwards booting the laptop, I receive the not ejected properly notification with both cables and this is not Vinpok's fault. I just wanted to make it clear that vinpok does not cause this. I will make a new thread or search the forum.

Besides this issue, it seems that the vinpok works well without issues and my bolt's magnet is strong enough, it does not randomly fall off or so.

Reactions: newellj

kadify

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2017
https://ilovehandles.com/shop/tug/

Here is an interesting idea. I don't know if it'd work that well since the cord that seems to trip people more often is the skinnier USBc cord and not the actual power cord connected to the power brick but maybe it's worth trying out? I plan on ordering one just to see.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

graffixnyc

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
ÜT: 40.757618,-73.790043
Ok, so I can no longer recommend the Vinpok. It killed my USB C port!. One day I was using my MBP 15 and the cable came off when I accidentally knocked it. When I reattached it, it wasn't working. I then went home and tried plugging something else into that port and it wouldn't recognize it, I tried the OEM cable and it wasn't charging. All my other ports were working, just not the one I had the Vinpok plugged into. I took it into Apple and sure enough, the port was dead and they had to replace the logic board. So I will not be using it nor recommending it to anyone.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
Ok, so I can no longer recommend the Vinpok. It killed my USB C port!. One day I was using my MBP 15 and the cable came off when I accidentally knocked it. When I reattached it, it wasn't working. I then went home and tried plugging something else into that port and it wouldn't recognize it, I tried the OEM cable and it wasn't charging. All my other ports were working, just not the one I had the Vinpok plugged into. I took it into Apple and sure enough, the port was dead and they had to replace the logic board. So I will not be using it nor recommending it to anyone.

Would definitely like to get more info on this like how it killed the computer. Did it not detach quick enough, physically damaging the port or did it short out as it detached or etc etc....

graffixnyc

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
ÜT: 40.757618,-73.790043
Would definitely like to get more info on this like how it killed the computer. Did it not detach quick enough, physically damaging the port or did it short out as it detached or etc etc....

It was sitting on the coffee table plugged in, I picked it up and the cord snagged on the chair and it detached. I reattached it and it wasn't working. So then I tried the oem cable and that wasn't working in the port, then I tried and SD card reader and that didn't work. There was no physical damage to the port at all. Took it into Apple and they ran the diagnostics on it and confirmed the port was not functioning and was completely dead. There was no signal detected at all when they ran the diagnostics. They told me they thought just the port can be replaced but when it came back the whole logic board was replaced. I'm assuming it shorted something out. My other ports were working just fine, just not the one that I had the tip plugged into. It was covered under warranty (I didn't tell them I used a non-oem cable) so it didn't cost me anything to repair but I will not be using that cable again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.