Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damant

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2010
It was sitting on the coffee table plugged in, I picked it up and the cord snagged on the chair and it detached. I reattached it and it wasn't working. So then I tried the oem cable and that wasn't working in the port, then I tried and SD card reader and that didn't work. There was no physical damage to the port at all. Took it into Apple and they ran the diagnostics on it and confirmed the port was not functioning and was completely dead. There was no signal detected at all when they ran the diagnostics. They told me they thought just the port can be replaced but when it came back the whole logic board was replaced. I'm assuming it shorted something out. My other ports were working just fine, just not the one that I had the tip plugged into. It was covered under warranty (I didn't tell them I used a non-oem cable) so it didn't cost me anything to repair but I will not be using that cable again.

I had similar experience with similar type of connector bought from amazon.... I'm now giving Griffins Magnetic cable try for couple weeks , working fine so far. I notice the one from griffins has only 3 and larger pins connections versus like 5 or 6 smaller ones. who knows ... but stay away from connectors with all those little pins. they definitely have the potential to fry your port.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
It was sitting on the coffee table plugged in, I picked it up and the cord snagged on the chair and it detached. I reattached it and it wasn't working. So then I tried the oem cable and that wasn't working in the port, then I tried and SD card reader and that didn't work. There was no physical damage to the port at all. Took it into Apple and they ran the diagnostics on it and confirmed the port was not functioning and was completely dead. There was no signal detected at all when they ran the diagnostics. They told me they thought just the port can be replaced but when it came back the whole logic board was replaced. I'm assuming it shorted something out. My other ports were working just fine, just not the one that I had the tip plugged into. It was covered under warranty (I didn't tell them I used a non-oem cable) so it didn't cost me anything to repair but I will not be using that cable again.

I had similar experience with similar type of connector bought from amazon.... I'm now giving Griffins Magnetic cable try for couple weeks , working fine so far. I notice the one from griffins has only 3 and larger pins connections versus like 5 or 6 smaller ones. who knows ... but stay away from connectors with all those little pins. they definitely have the potential to fry your port.

What do people think?

It sounds to me like some sort of short across the pins as the cable disconnects whacking 60-100w of power across the data pins frying the port.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
What do people think?

It sounds to me like some sort of short across the pins as the cable disconnects whacking 60-100w of power across the data pins frying the port.

Bringing this back up from April to see if anyone else has had this sort of experience.

Your guess sounds reasonable.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Since this was brought back to life, has anyone found a reliable, and slim MagSafe adapter that doesn't stop working in a short time? REALLY want my MagSafe back. :(

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
I agree, Vinpok is working for me. The first one I got lasted 3 weeks but they replaced it and the new one is still working after 6 months. Has anyone got the other adapter MagBull that was sold on Indiegogo?

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I went to purchase the Vinpok, and I took a chance on Amazon, with a less expensive product, that had good reviews, and it seems they take care of any issues right away. I also bought a square trade warranty for it for under $2, so it was about $18 and change total. Got it today, it worked instantly, and the one thing I LOVE, it's reversible and slim. ALSO works with 87W for the 15" MacBook Pro. Check it out...

Basevs Magnetic USB C Cable for Macbook Pro
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NJM3VS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

caspergirl

macrumors regular
May 15, 2010
I have the vinpok bolt and still working without issue. Also I bought the Baseus adaptor that is attached to the original usb c cable. Still working without problem

Elcompa

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
NC, USA
I bought 3 of the early distributed vinpoks. All 3 crapped out a couple months later. They replaced them with a much-improved product. All 3 of the new and improved ones are still going strong 4 months later and they get daily use. Still not quite as good as the original Magsafe from Apple, but a reasonable stand-in.

Reactions: caspergirl

caspergirl

macrumors regular
May 15, 2010
the first generation sucks but then they send me a replacement (i guess second generation vinpok) and i have no issue. i use it everyday for about 7 months.

caspergirl

macrumors regular
May 15, 2010
here is the point, baseus uses the original cable and the original charger. so in essence you have a peace of mind in term of voltage etc. plus, you have the original durability of the apple accessories. the vinpok is just a cable that for me happens to work good, for an unknown period of time. if i have to chose between these two (i bought the baseus when i waited for vinpok replacement cable) i think i would buy the baseus. Plus, here one of the biggest apple authorised sellers and service providers stocked in store the baseus adaptor meaning that they trust that it cant cause damage to your mac.

Starlights

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Just ordered this minutes before stumbling onto this thread: Reviews on Amazon seem promising. Hope it lives up to expectations: If anyone has first hand experience with it then I would love to hear it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079PYZJ2B/

61zsfDb3DtL._SL1001_.jpg

Video: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/B1dqNI309US.mp4

Last edited:

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Can you elaborate on the issue with having smaller pins? I have the Basevs one from Amazon, but it does have 5 small pins. Is it potentially a problem?

mrs2r

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017
Just ordered this minutes before stumbling onto this thread: Reviews on Amazon seem promising. Hope it lives up to expectations: If anyone has first hand experience with it then I would love to hear it.

61zsfDb3DtL._SL1001_.jpg

I have this and it works great with the 2018 MacBook Pro. The magnet is strong, build quality is excellent, and I didn't see any difference in charging watts using Battery Health 2 compared to the USB-C charging cable. The cable is a little thinner than the Apple USB-C one, but I think that is a good thing especially for traveling and stuffing in a laptop bag. I ended up returning the 2018 MacBook Pro but I'm holding on to this cable for when I eventually upgrade my MacBook Pro.

Reactions: Starlights

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
here is the point, baseus uses the original cable and the original charger
Since you have both, can you tell me which has the stonger magnet. It seems many of the less expensive options have weak magnets that can detach too easily, i.e., when you don't want too.

The magnet is strong, build quality is excellent,
As per my above comment, I don't know if you tried any other option, but can you if at all possible elaborate on the strength of the magnet.

Can anyone elaborate on the number of pins, I'm confused by this, 3, 5, 6 pins?

I'm somewhat leaning towards to the Vinpok, but now the ELECJET seems tempting.

Starlights

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Since you have both, can you tell me which has the stonger magnet. It seems many of the less expensive options have weak magnets that can detach too easily, i.e., when you don't want too.

As per my above comment, I don't know if you tried any other option, but can you if at all possible elaborate on the strength of the magnet.

I'm somewhat leaning towards to the Vinpok, but now the ELECJET seems tempting.

Check out the amazon link above. There are pics of pin configuration plus one reviewer has posted video of magnet strength.

Reactions: maflynn

caspergirl

macrumors regular
May 15, 2010
Interesting question about the magnet.i think baseus has stringer magnet but I will check when I come back home

mrs2r

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017

I have not tried other options but it is about as strong as the MagSafe 2. Since it has a 90 degree angle and does not go straight out, it stays attached since there's not a lot of leverage for unintentional disconnects like the Vinpok and others.

There is a good explanation on the 6 pin design on their website.

Reactions: maflynn

caspergirl

macrumors regular
May 15, 2010
Reactions: rainking

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

61zsfDb3DtL._SL1001_.jpg

I ordered this and its been working well for my needs. I've not tried it out while traveling but even sitting on my desk, I feel better about it. My kids use the laptop and having them accidentally tripping or pulling the power cable is a risk.

Reactions: pubmsu and mrs2r

Starlights

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
I ordered this and its been working well for my needs. I've not tried it out while traveling but even sitting on my desk, I feel better about it. My kids use the laptop and having them accidentally tripping or pulling the power cable is a risk.

I have used it for a day and a half since I picked up my MBP and it works very well. My only observation/concern is about the piece that connects to the USB-C - if you notice the contact points are not receded in but stick out by nearly 1/10th of a mm - what if they touch something metallic when not connected to the cable?

Other than that the experience is the same as with a magsafe connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.