Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
This is the one I went with (Elecjet). Magnet seems strong enough, and I appreciate that it's an L shaped plug instead of one that sticks straight out (would would make it more likely to get dislodged.

I should note that it was quite a struggle to fully insert the piece that goes into the USB-C port on the computer, enough to make me concerned about how the heck I'm going to get it out of there if I ever need to. However, I suspect this is intentional, to reduce the chances of the piece getting inadvertently pulled out (and I don't intend to ever remove it myself, so it's a relatively minor issue). Still, I thought it worth mentioning, just in case anyone is considering this one but does sometimes need access to all 4 ports (or would want to switch it to a different port in some circumstances).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I should note that it was quite a struggle to fully insert the piece that goes into the USB-C port on the computer, enough to make me concerned about how the heck I'm going to get it out of there if I ever need to
That's my concern, but I've taken the mindset that I used the rear left USB port as a power port, which is in similar location as the MagSafe was on my 2012 MBP. I have no intentions of removing it for now

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
That's my concern, but I've taken the mindset that I used the rear left USB port as a power port, which is in similar location as the MagSafe was on my 2012 MBP. I have no intentions of removing it for now
Yes, same here, picked same port. If I ever have a need to charge via a regular USB-C cable, well, I have 3 other ports. :)

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
This is the one I went with (Elecjet). Magnet seems strong enough, and I appreciate that it's an L shaped plug instead of one that sticks straight out (would would make it more likely to get dislodged.

I should note that it was quite a struggle to fully insert the piece that goes into the USB-C port on the computer, enough to make me concerned about how the heck I'm going to get it out of there if I ever need to. However, I suspect this is intentional, to reduce the chances of the piece getting inadvertently pulled out (and I don't intend to ever remove it myself, so it's a relatively minor issue). Still, I thought it worth mentioning, just in case anyone is considering this one but does sometimes need access to all 4 ports (or would want to switch it to a different port in some circumstances).
Use dental floss or thin fishing line to remove.

spicy_guy

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2018
Home of Bears and Cubs
We have several options.... Not sure what people think of each of these.

-- Snapinator (People said its like scam)
-- Vinpok Bolt by Indigogo (https://www.vinpok.com/products/bolt-usb-c-magnetic-cable-for-new-macbook-pro). Seems to have descent reviews.
-- Baseus (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1234664819/baseus-worlds-fastest-magnetic-usb-type-c-cable)
-- Graffin (https://griffintechnology.com/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable)
-- ELECJET (https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Mac...qid=1533263218&sr=8-3&keywords=magnetic+usb-c)
-- Leonis (https://www.amazon.com/MagSafe-Adap...id=1533263218&sr=8-10&keywords=magnetic+usb-c)
-- MagC

I guess, I feel strongly about Vinpok. There are a few Videos on YouTube.
What do you guys think?

Elcompa

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
NC, USA
I bought 3 of the early distributed vinpoks. All 3 crapped out a couple months later. They replaced them with a much-improved product. All 3 of the new and improved ones are still going strong 4 months later and they get daily use. Still not quite as good as the original Magsafe from Apple, but a reasonable stand-in.

Update tothis: All 3 Vinpok cables still going strong on each laptop.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Leo Laporte mentioned one that was working well for him on this weeks MacBreak Weekly. “Line co” or something? Align Co? I could not make out what he was saying...it’s in the very beginning of the show. First 5 mins

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Do you think its worth the price?
They are $38.00 right now--pretty reasonably priced. I just ordered one. We'll see!
[doublepost=1533303955][/doublepost]
people need to get over MagSafe its old and isn't coming back
The wheel and fire are both also old and nobody is talking about getting rid of them.

A lot of people, myself included, find MagSafe to be a really useful feature. Perhaps Apple doesn’t bring it back, but there are third party ways to approximate it and I don’t think people exploring those options should need to “get over it.”

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its not old, its only a handful of years old, and it saved my laptop on a number of occasions. When staying at a hotel or a resort, there are times that the power cable is getting caught or tripped. It's an awesome feature, and thankfully we seem to have a number of options to bring back similar functionality.

You may not care, and that's fine, but people like me, are wanting to ensure that our laptops are not at risk.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
I was seeing on Reddit that most of these stop working after a few months or so. Is that true? I have a one year old and a six year old who are very active and I worry about using my 2017 12” MacBook and 2018 13” MacBook Pro around my kids in fear they will jerk the cord out and my laptop will go flying. For those of you who have had one for awhile, which one do you recommend me get that will last?

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
the first generation sucks but then they send me a replacement (i guess second generation vinpok) and i have no issue. i use it everyday for about 7 months.

Can you tell the difference between the 1st and 2nd generations? I can't tell which one that I have but it still works. I got mine at the very end of January.

LLCoolJ94

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2015
I ordered this today. It appears to be well built, and has really good reviews. A couple people posted videos in their reviews.

This is the only one I found with 87W good for 15” model.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075M2VV25/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Ksl8zbDT5ENAD

How has it held up?
[doublepost=1533841396][/doublepost]
I received my kickstarter backed MagNeo after a 8 month delay.

The good: It works (for now). Magnet seems strong enough. I have it connected to an Apple Digital AV Multiport connector that has 3 cables (USB-C power, USB and HDMI) connected to it. My MacBook Pro is on a Rain design mStand so entire adapter is floating off the desk. The magnet manages to support the weight of the adapter and the connected cables fine.

Coconut battery is reporting 55w which is the maximum supported by the Apple adapter. Working 1440p HDMI video output @ 60Hz. I have not tested USB transfer speeds with/without the MagNeo yet.

The bad: Big, looks ugly, cheap and unpolished. The part that connects to the MacBook's USB C port is chrome does not match MacBook Pro color. Unprofessional packaging and instructions. USB C part is also not reversible. The magnetic connector part is reversible as long as the other part is connected to the USB C port the right way. No indications to indicate which way is correct so you'll have to test it out. The instructions pretty much tells you to flip both parts around until it works.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to be the only one that supports data/video as well as power. Not sure that I would recommend it as of yet. We'll see how long it lasts.

Update us on this?

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
How has it held up?

The first one I got was crap and failed after 2 weeks, however their service is top notch and they replaced it right away. Second one also failed within a few weeks.

Then, between the 2nd and 3rd one I received they changed and has a whole new design which has lasted well this entire time. So I’d say it’s a good product.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001

Gotta love the "what works for me should work for everyone else."

Some of us have kids and/or dogs. MagSafe can be a life saver. It may indeed not be coming back, but that's not a reason for anyone to "get over" it. While these third party alternatives are imperfect, I for one am glad they exist.

LLCoolJ94

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2015

How's this one working out for you?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, that's interesting, While I didn't buy that model, I am curious to know why.

The funny thing is I saw I could "chat" with a rep on the site and here's what I got :p

I never got a notification that chat responses are within an hour

2018-08-24_07-01-49.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.