Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Funny, these guys at Pixar must be playing kids games:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-oculus-rift-virtual-reality-movie-henry.html

The sad reality is that the nMP is incapable of letting people do and entire category professional media work (ie VR). While the cMP will.

You might want to check with MVC with that, I think he stated even the classic Mac Pros can't handle it. That and probably 2/3 of the PC's out there that are either obsolete or need upgrades to use it.

ZombiePhysicist

Suspended
May 22, 2014
You might want to check with MVC with that, I think he stated even the classic Mac Pros can't handle it. That and probably 2/3 of the PC's out there that are either obsolete or need upgrades to use it.

Yea, I saw that. Basically no mac pros can do it. But he also said, between the nMP and the cMP, the cMP would likely perform better if you're trying to jerry rig them. That said, the sad state is the no professional mac will work with it.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Not saying you have to use multiple computers when running Apple at all. I was simply saying that you need to use the correct tool for the job that it is expected to do.

I have three computers which have different purposes, ALL of which exclusively run OSX.
When you drive on your own, the correct tool is a motorbike or a 1 seater car. Is that what you do? Bear in mind that the vast majority of people do not. All comes down to cost and at the premium charged by Apple I’d expect more.
[doublepost=1452583443][/doublepost]
Buying a Mac Pro to game on is like buying a tractor to race in nascar. Both have hundreds of bhp, but the tractor is designed for something entirely different. The race car vs rolls royce example above is silly, a 2.5 tonne rolls would need more than "minor changes" to work as a race car against real race cars.

Buying a Mac for heavy gaming is retarded, all macs save the Mac Pro have mobile gpus, and the Mac Pro has cards who are quite capable at OpenCL but not much else...
You know what though. The Mac wouldn’t. Quite frankly the Rolls Royce example isn’t like your tractor example at all. The tractors and Nascars have to be built to completely different regs. They are different vehicles.

You’re comparing two modes of transport, I’m comparing two cars. You know, ones that have to meet the same emissions regulations, same crash tests etc etc.
[doublepost=1452583536][/doublepost]
Apps are pro tools. Apps.

Anything about adopting server components and then calling it "pro" hardware is a tired gimmick and we knew that in the 90s. Server parts are not valid unless you need to scale to multiple CPUs and error correcting RAM (both are redundant in most uses). End of tired crusty discussion.
What happened to this part, you’re still here???

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
When you drive on your own, the correct tool is a motorbike or a 1 seater car. Is that what you do? Bear in mind that the vast majority of people do not. All comes down to cost and at the premium charged by Apple I’d expect more.
[doublepost=1452583443][/doublepost]
You know what though. The Mac wouldn’t. Quite frankly the Rolls Royce example isn’t like your tractor example at all. The tractors and Nascars have to be built to completely different regs. They are different vehicles.

You’re comparing two modes of transport, I’m comparing two cars. You know, ones that have to meet the same emissions regulations, same crash tests etc etc.

Since when does a track race car need to meet the same regulations as a road car? Race car in my mind isn't a road legal car, that would make it a sports car.

But the same can be said here, a decent pc is a general purpose machine, a gaming pc is built for gaming performance, a workstation is built for computational performance. People said they could build a pc just as good as the dual cpu cMP in 2011, for half the price! Only to end up using 3.5GHz quad core i7:s, never realizing a quad core 3.5GHz machine doesn't scale as well as a 2.9GHz (or whatever it was) eight core machine. Even though it stomped the Mac Pro in single thread performance.

Last edited:

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
Sure you're right to worry but there are several factors behind the varying frame rates on PS4. Think of it this way: when you're gaming on a PC and things start to lag, you can turn down some of the eye candy, drop the anti-aliasing, cut down the filtering and so on. It's quite possible that's what they'll do for VR. Or they could muck it up horribly as you're fearing.

Both the PS4 and XBone do this dynamicaly presently in games and they still struggle to keep a constant framerate...

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
Yes, the GPU's are old. Like I SAID, I agree with you on that. :rolleyes: Apple should feel bad about the GPU's in the nMP.
My problem is that you have now spent 3 G-DAMN YEARS crapping every thread on this board that has even the most tangential connection to this subject.
It's annoying and doesn't contribute to constructive discussions. It's a settled subject. Apple's wrong, you're right. Deal with it! :D

Don't even acknowledge him with your posts, he feeds off of attention. Report inflammatory people and move on.

p.l

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2015
I can't understand the problem. The computer is 3 years old.
Im sure the nnMP will be capable but then again everyone might complain that its expensive for VR. It seems Apple can't win in this forum.

3 years ago no GPU made the min req.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I can't understand the problem. The computer is 3 years old.
Im sure the nnMP will be capable but then again everyone might complain that its expensive for VR. It seems Apple can't win in this forum.

Apple doesn't deserve to "win in this forum" when it lets years go by without updating the Mac Pro. Not even a spec bump. And on top of that still charging the same price.

p.l

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2015
Don't take me wrong i understand the frustration.

But it's like saying i have a 7970 in my PC why doesn't it meet the min req for Rift.
You can build a VR PC for under 1600aud which is 1/3 the price of the Mac Pro quad.
If your serious about VR build one, because i don't see it coming to OS X unless the nnMP has a Nano.

I heavily depend on CUDA but needed better Single Core performance i came up with a workflow that worked for me with my nMP, If i was getting into VR i would be building a PC not whining that my 3 year old computer doesn't meet the spec when NO 3 year old computer meets the spec.

Maybe apple only want to release tock versions, Limits the upgradable aspect of the computer. ei. 2006-2007 and 2009-2012. Not unlike apple to think like that given there solder loving recently.
And the fact most of the computers would be leased for 3 years so the next nnMP will be perfectly timed for new leasing...
Apple always keep the same price, They dont care how old it is.. Its prob still selling so to them they are happy.

Apple doesn't deserve to "win in this forum" when it lets years go by without updating the Mac Pro. Not even a spec bump. And on top of that still charging the same price.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hmm, guess this is first Mac Pro to qualify.

Just took a Titan Black and BINGO !
Capture.PNG

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Considering that the PS4 APU has trouble delivering 1080p/60fps consistently I don't have that much faith in the PS VR delivering a good first impression of the tech.

Totally agree… I expect the PlayStation VR experience to be basically Wii level graphics.
No thanks.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Someone on Youtube claims to have upgraded to the D700 GPU's from the D300's. Is an upgrade path out yet?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Nice. So that makes the cMP the only machine that works with oculus? Or was that an nMP with a titan plugged into a cage via thunderbolt? What was the CPU on this?

That should be the nMP with eGPU, if a cMP can qualify, plenty of members here will have a qualify Mac.

bogg

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Sweden
That should be the nMP with eGPU, if a cMP can qualify, plenty of members here will have a qualify Mac.

Using an eGPU to qualify seems like a gamble for Oculus in my mind. Is really an eGPU using a single thunderbolt port (4x PCIE-lanes?) faster than the internal GPUs in real life when actually using the Oculus Rift, the Rift is really something that seems to use a lot of GPU<->CPU traffic and not only the raw rendering data to the GPU?

Have someone tested this? I know that in games some take no serious hit (-20%?) at all when going from PCIE3.0 x16 to PCIE 2.0 x8 even on a GTX980, but some, which use traffic back from the GPU to the CPU (for post processing or stuff like that) take a serious hit?

I guess it will depend on exactly what games one will play on the RIFT and how they use the bus.

Kim Sanka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Here’s a possibly solution for the outdated Bootcamp drivers.

http://www.remkoweijnen.nl/blog/2015/09/21/update-amd-display-driver-under-bootcamp/

I patched the Radeon-Crimson-15.12-Win10-64Bit drivers to work with my FirePro D500s. Ok, Windows 10 now thinks my computer has Radion cards now but all seems to work nicely. I’ve got Eyefinity so I’m back on three screens when gaming. I’ve got 106FPS in Cinebench and I’ve been playing Far Cry 4 which I couldn’t play with the official (current) drivers because of a bug. This driver also has LiquidVR so it's looking good so far.

Patching drivers is something I don’t usually do so with trial and error it took me a while to complete. However I was still surprised about how easy it is. For a developer at Apple or AMD it would not even take one hour of work. I don’t get it why they won’t provide good drivers.

armut

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2014
Here’s a possibly solution for the outdated Bootcamp drivers.

http://www.remkoweijnen.nl/blog/2015/09/21/update-amd-display-driver-under-bootcamp/

I patched the Radeon-Crimson-15.12-Win10-64Bit drivers to work with my FirePro D500s. Ok, Windows 10 now thinks my computer has Radion cards now but all seems to work nicely. I’ve got Eyefinity so I’m back on three screens when gaming. I’ve got 106FPS in Cinebench and I’ve been playing Far Cry 4 which I couldn’t play with the official (current) drivers because of a bug. This driver also has LiquidVR so it's looking good so far.

Patching drivers is something I don’t usually do so with trial and error it took me a while to complete. However I was still surprised about how easy it is. For a developer at Apple or AMD it would not even take one hour of work. I don’t get it why they won’t provide good drivers.

I updated my graphicscard d700 of my nMP this way successfull. System shows now that I have r9 290 but when I installed the Oculus Rift HardWare Checker, it says that my graphicscard are not supported.

I installed the latest Crimson driver.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Proprietary Graphics Driver

Umm I can read mate, not sure why you think you needed to enlarge the font and bold it. Pretty condescending really.

Theoretically because Linux and MacOs both come from the UNIX, it's possible though right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.