Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w4rm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Okay, how great would it be if Apple released a display with webcam. They should just throw a iPhone rear camera in the front and 120Hz. The ultimate display for remote work.

That’s the dream display. What’s y’all thoughts on Apple releasing something like this?

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I definitely think that the iPhone rear camera will not happen, I'm not even sure this display will come with a webcam at all, as the Pro Display don't have any webcam nor speakers (but Thunderbolt displays had a webcam, so who knows). I'd buy in a heartbeat a display with 120 hz if it's not too expensive.

Reactions: Sir Ruben

w4rm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
I definitely think that the iPhone rear camera will not happen, I'm not even sure this display will come with a webcam at all, as the Pro Display don't have any webcam nor speakers (but Thunderbolt displays had a webcam, so who knows). I'd buy in a heartbeat a display with 120 hz if it's not too expensive.
I think with remote work being so prominent nowadays it’s hard to see them not releasing a display without webcam. XDR display was before pandemic.

Unless they want all of us to have chin angle from our laptops.

But also if they want to sell more Mac mini’s they kinda have to.

They might introduce a new iSight but I doubt it.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
If they released the 24" iMac screen as a monitor for a reasonable price with the camera and expansion ports on the back I bet they could sell a bunch of them to people with Mac minis and MacBooks. If they can sell the iMac for $1,299 they should be able to get the display under $1k.

w4rm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
If they released the 24" iMac screen as a monitor for a reasonable price with the camera and expansion ports on the back I bet they could sell a bunch of them to people with Mac minis and MacBooks. If they can sell the iMac for $1,299 they should be able to get the display under $1k.
That would be amazing

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Just look at the evidence. If you ignore the Pro Display XDR because of its price and positioning, the last time Apple released an external display is over a decade ago, and almost six years since it last sold one. It’s obviously not something that Apple sees as important.

w4rm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Just look at the evidence. If you ignore the Pro Display XDR because of its price and positioning, the last time Apple released an external display is over a decade ago, and almost six years since it last sold one. It’s obviously not something that Apple sees as important.
That’s because they outsourced there display business to LG. But that failed so they’re returning to the display business.

See Mark Gurmans predictions for upcoming consumer and prosumer displays in the MacRumors podcast at 24 mins

He said they started working on it in 2019.

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
That’s because they outsourced there display business to LG. But that failed so they’re returning to the display business.

See Mark Gurmans predictions for upcoming consumer and prosumer displays in the MacRumors podcast at 24 mins

He said they started working on it in 2019.

No, they didn’t. They left the market to other manufacturers because they didn’t see it as important enough to design and manufacture a product themselves.

There have been rumours and conjecture about a new Apple display for years. Maybe this time it will turn out to be true. I hope so. But the fact remains that the evidence clearly indicates that Apple haven’t seen it as a priority.

(By the way, “outsource” doesn’t mean what you think it means here. You probably mean “partner”.)

Reactions: Hexley

hardwickj

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
I'm hopeful that the rumors regarding a new display that utilizes Apple silicon implies an 8k screen. That could make sense since 8k60 and especially 8k120 would require display stream compression (DSC), and it's possible that's what the Apple Silicon would be used for.

The dream right now is a 34" 4k Retina @ 120hz (effectively 8k120). But that's pushing the limits of DisplayPort 1.4 and Thunderbolt 3/4.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I hope they finally release a monitor so we can stop speculating about it.

Unfortunately for a huge range of their customers, whatever they release (if they do it) will still likely be at ridiculously unpalatable prices.

I expect a simple 27" 5k (basically an iMac minus the computer) to be $2499+

Not because it makes any sense at all - but just because "Apple" ??‍♂️

w4rm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014

Unfortunately for a huge range of their customers, whatever they release (if they do it) will still likely be at ridiculously unpalatable prices.

I feel like they will have some monitors priced lower than iMac, screens are essentially upsells. For the average consumer they're not going to buy a screen that costs more than their MacBook or Mac mini.

I think iPadOS 16 will support full screen mode, so essentially Apple will upsell iPad, MacBook, Mac mini users on the low tier display which will be iMac sans computer.

Throw in a webcam for good measure, maybe Face ID in the 2nd generation of those displays. They might even bring in Face ID sooner to the monitors than the laptops to incentivize more people to get the monitors.

They will sell like crazy.

$2400 will be the mid range monitors.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I feel like they will have some monitors priced lower than iMac, screens are essentially upsells. For the average consumer they're not going to buy a screen that costs more than their MacBook or Mac mini.

I think iPadOS 16 will support full screen mode, so essentially Apple will upsell iPad, MacBook, Mac mini users on the low tier display which will be iMac sans computer.

Throw in a webcam for good measure, maybe Face ID in the 2nd generation of those displays.

They will sell like crazy.

$2400 will be the mid range monitors.

You're applying logic to it.

For Apple, I think they look at things like monitors as a huge PITA (in terms of manufacturing them, getting proper QC, servicing them and dealing with them at stores, etc)

I suspect they will continue to cede the lower end of the market (the majority of it) and that mid-range of which you speak will be the "bottom" of the Apple range.

I just don't think they want to bother with it unless it's worth XXX to them.

There's too much data on them avoiding things that are objectively great for consumers, but a PITA and/or not super profitable. I just won't believe that has changed until I see it.

I hope you're right, but I expect you won't be.

Reactions: Lammers

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Take the current LG 27" UltraFine, since LG make Apple's displays anyway, put it in a nicer chassis and calibrate the display a little more. Maybe add MagSafe or Qi charging to the base of the stand. Job done. £1399 all day long.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
If they can sell the iMac for $1,299 they should be able to get the display under $1k.

Pricing of such an animal is an interesting thing because it's so easy for people to then assign a value to "the computer part." In your view that's $300 (if by "under $1k" you mean $999), which seems too low to me. Psychologically if not also from the stand point of the BoM. Feels like the delta needs to be along the lines of $500. Of course they could achieve part of that delta by raising the price of the iMac ;)

I've read your subsequent comments and you're way overthinking it IMO. The 5K iMac starts at $1799. In your wold the value of "the computer part" is negative $800. Never going to happen.

The only way a standalone 5K monitor will cost more than (or even the same as) a 5K iMac is if the standalone monitor is meaningfully better in some way(s), e.g. higher refresh rate/promotion, VRR, HDR, mini-LED, etc.

Reactions: staypuftforums

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
The old ACD had a webcam, so it's possible that this one will too. I hope it'll at least have 120hz with mini led.

Reactions: w4rm

forrestwhite

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Canada
Any recent updates on this? All we have to go on is that LG was making some panels - which they've yet to put their LG label on. Given this, doesn't it seem like a bit of a leap to think that new Apple monitor(s) are on the horizon?

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
Any recent updates on this? All we have to go on is that LG was making some panels - which they've yet to put their LG label on. Given this, doesn't it seem like a bit of a leap to think that new Apple monitor(s) are on the horizon?

Nothing, other than they may have been pushed back and many of us do not think they will ship till the imac pro 27" macs ship which now seems maybe an announce at WWDC but more likely announce and ship in Fall.

Of course there is the Mac pro that apple would love to show at WWDC. and if they show that model they have to show the imac pro right?

Reactions: forrestwhite

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Pricing of such an animal is an interesting thing because it's so easy for people to then assign a value to "the computer part." In your view that's $300 (if by "under $1k" you mean $999), which seems too low to me. Psychologically if not also from the stand point of the BoM. Feels like the delta needs to be along the lines of $500. Of course they could achieve part of that delta by raising the price of the iMac ;)

I've read your subsequent comments and you're way overthinking it IMO. The 5K iMac starts at $1799. In your wold the value of "the computer part" is negative $800. Never going to happen.

The only way a standalone 5K monitor will cost more than (or even the same as) a 5K iMac is if the standalone monitor is meaningfully better in some way(s), e.g. higher refresh rate/promotion, VRR, HDR, mini-LED, etc.
I would assume it would have features like the old Thunderbolt Display - camera, microphone, Thunderbolt ports, and power delivery for a laptop. At $200 for typical Thunderbolt hubs, that raises the computer part of the iMac to $500, inline with the price of a Mac Mini. Separate components always cost more than an integrated system.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
They must have seen our thread:

:)

I'm hoping prices for the 27" will be a bit lower, because that's the sweet to be honest.

Personally I'm looking forward to see if this happens or not at the end of the year.

Reactions: macsplusmacs

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I'm hoping prices for the 27" will be a bit lower, because that's the sweet to be honest.

I cannot see it at all. It's going to be at least LG UltraFine 27" money, since that is basically the exact LG panel we'll get in the 'Display' unless a Mini-LED one is used (in which case it'll be even dearer). Don't forget, Apple charged £999 for the Thunderbolt Display in 2011. I don't care really about cost, as the LG UF range is the only truly great external monitor for Macs these days and an  alternative would be welcome.

I always used to be an iMac guy for the extra horsepower but, now that there is true performance parity between their laptops and desktops, I'd go for a 14" M1 Pro (since it can be spec'd as highly as the 16" - another first I've longed for) and the Display. Truly the best of both worlds, and I'd probably not bother upgrading my iPad Pro at that point.

It's a bit surreal; after years of trying to seemingly kill the MacBook off with the iPad, Apple have now gone the other way with the M1 series of MacBooks. Yes you can get an M1 iPad Pro, but what can you do with it?

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I cannot see it at all. It's going to be at least LG UltraFine 27" money, since that is basically the exact LG panel we'll get in the 'Display' unless a Mini-LED one is used (in which case it'll be even dearer). Don't forget, Apple charged £999 for the Thunderbolt Display in 2011. I don't care really about cost, as the LG UF range is the only truly great external monitor for Macs these days and an  alternative would be welcome.

I always used to be an iMac guy for the extra horsepower but, now that there is true performance parity between their laptops and desktops, I'd go for a 14" M1 Pro (since it can be spec'd as highly as the 16" - another first I've longed for) and the Display. Truly the best of both worlds, and I'd probably not bother upgrading my iPad Pro at that point.

It's a bit surreal; after years of trying to seemingly kill the MacBook off with the iPad, Apple have now gone the other way with the M1 series of MacBooks. Yes you can get an M1 iPad Pro, but what can you do with it?
Yeah I have a pair of Huawei Mateviews and they are not the same quality as my old LG Ultrafine which I had to send back to Amazon due to a couple of issues with my M1 from last year.

I can't wait and honestly I'll be there regardless of the price.

Reactions: OS X Dude

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017

No, it's because they will price it to maximize profits in their target market. If their research indicates they will maximize sales profits at $1500, then they'll price it at $1500. If it's $2500, then they'll price it at $2500, etc. If people can't afford it, then they have other non-Apple options.

Reactions: Lammers

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
No, it's because they will price it to maximize profits in their target market. If their research indicates they will maximize sales profits at $1500, then they'll price it at $1500. If it's $2500, then they'll price it at $2500, etc. If people can't afford it, then they have other non-Apple options.
Mmm, partly true, they will also want to maintain a positioning of it being a premium product, which requires differentiating it from other offerings. The LG 5K is $1300, so I don’t think $1500 is a likely price point for an Apple display - it’s too close to the LG.

Reactions: turbineseaplane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.