Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
$1599 for the new 27" Studio Display and its onboard AV? Take my money!!!

(By contrast, the 23" Cinema Display from the early 2000s was like $2500. And al it did was display stuff.)
Man I'm so torn on this... the price is OK for me but the fact that it only has 1 Thunderbolt Port is ridiculous... I would've also hoped for at the very least HDMI 2.0 or DP4.

I really want this new display but I also have a kind of exotic setup right now:
- Desktop PC hooked up via DisplayPort to my dual-Monitor setup (daisychained DP)
- Macbook Pro hooked up to my dual-Monitor setup with 1 USB-C cable each (need to switch inputs)

Was hoping that the Studio Display would at the very least support TB DaisyChaining which is bust now with 1 Port only... and it also doesn't ship with any classic ports I could hook my desktop PC up with (and since only 1 TB I can't even go and upgrade my PC to have a TB port for display hookup).

Such a bummer

davvid97

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
Wonder if it will work with USB-C work Dell laptop (as it is specified that it works with usb-c iPads only... now my dell laptop works with LG 24MD4KL-B over usb-c but the charging is limited to below 27W)

Reactions: forrestwhite

fgengineer

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2018
Man I'm so torn on this... the price is OK for me but the fact that it only has 1 Thunderbolt Port is ridiculous... I would've also hoped for at the very least HDMI 2.0 or DP4.

100% this. I was hoping for at least two inputs. Would it have killed them to do this. The LG 5k was released 6 years ago. I would think that would be enough time to figure out how to add another input.

I still ordered one. I need to try it out for myself. The vesa option delivery date is already past March. I was too slow and got a delivery date of the 23rd. :confused:

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
100% this. I was hoping for at least two inputs. Would it have killed them to do this. The LG 5k was released 6 years ago. I would think that would be enough time to figure out how to add another input.

I still ordered one. I need to try it out for myself. The vesa option delivery date is already past March. I was too slow and got a delivery date of the 23rd. :confused:
I wish I could order one but that connectivity setup is really a gigantic dealbreaker for my workflow. Hope to read up on loads of reviews by you guys come march 18th.

Reactions: forrestwhite

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
So I am currently using an LG Ultra Fine 5K with the Webcam and speakers. I am wondering if this is a worthwhile upgrade. Wondering how much I could get for the LG monitor to off set the price of the Studio Display. Thoughts?

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
appears to be the imac 5k screen with the same connectivity of the lg ultrafine 5k (4 ports one tb 3 usbc) in a cheaper non cheese grater apple housing. The webcam and speaker upgrades are the only thing keeping this from being a completely lazy rubber stamp.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I ordered the new Apple 27"er + a Dell U3223QE.

I really wanted a bigger display than 27" from Apple at a reasonable price. Ideal would have been 32" at or below $2,000. Still - I'm sure it's well made and 5K while overkill for me, it is probably stunning.

I also ordered a Dell 32" U3223QE. Both should arrive around the same time - so the best display will stay and the loser gets returned.

I have a hard time believing that I will want to keep the $1600 27" Apple display over the sub-$1k 32" 4K display, but we shall see...

Reactions: hans1972

fgengineer

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2018
So I am currently using an LG Ultra Fine 5K with the Webcam and speakers. I am wondering if this is a worthwhile upgrade. Wondering how much I could get for the LG monitor to off set the price of the Studio Display. Thoughts?

I don't think it is a worthwhile update just for one monitor. I have two lg 5K's including an older version. I am hoping I can run both monitors off of two thunderbolt ports now. It would simplify my setup but the other 5k is starting to have issues. The other 5K will have to run at 39 Hz, but I am ok with that. I mostly stare at text. I still don't think it is that worthwhile an update, but this will have to tide me over until the 7K.

SpotOnT

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2016
Interesting. Nice price point. Big bummer no 120 hz.

Really wish there was someway to connect a 2013 Mac Pro to this thing......

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I'm with you guys on the disappointment of 120Hz (and mini-LED but moreso on the 120Hz).

That being said, I ordered one... Well, I ordered two. One height-adjustable and one not. If the upgrade was cheaper I would've only ordered the height-adjustable and called it a day, but $400 is a lot of money. I wish I had a way of checking whether the tilt-only display is going to sit on my desk at a good height without having to order one.

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
Pre-ordered one with the VESA adapter. I can't see any of the stands offered being as good. You can height adjust, pivot, move the screen back and forth and so much more with VESA. The basic stand is far too elementary, the height adjustable one crazy expensive. I have the arm already, so that's a bonus.

Reactions: ascender

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Wonder if Apple stores will stock the VESA mount option - delivery dates are already into April.

Reactions: ascender

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
At last....

An Apple display which we know will work reliably at all resolutions, no issues waking from sleep etc is not to be underestimated! Especially with the built-in webcam and speakers too.

I also went for one with the VESA adapter as once you get used to having a monitor on a good quality arm, I can't imagine going back to one which just sits in one place.

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
At last....

An Apple display which we know will work reliably at all resolutions, no issues waking from sleep etc is not to be underestimated! Especially with the built-in webcam and speakers too.

I also went for one with the VESA adapter as once you get used to having a monitor on a good quality arm, I can't imagine going back to one which just sits in one place.
What was your delivery date?

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I'm with you guys on the disappointment of 120Hz (and mini-LED but moreso on the 120Hz).

That being said, I ordered one... Well, I ordered two. One height-adjustable and one not. If the upgrade was cheaper I would've only ordered the height-adjustable and called it a day, but $400 is a lot of money. I wish I had a way of checking whether the tilt-only display is going to sit on my desk at a good height without having to order one.
They show the height of the display with each stand on the tech specs: https://www.apple.com/studio-display/specs/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.