Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
120hz is a must for me, and I would have liked a slightly larger ultrawide version. 5k is perfect though. Will likely wait for the second version.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
What was your delivery date?
23rd to 30th although I think at some point it then said 2-3 weeks, maybe on the last checkout page?

Stock anything seemed to be available for 18th March delivery for ages, but as soon as you started to configure stuff, it slipped the dates. I added a larger SSD to my Studio and it also slipped.

I didn't go for Nano as I just don't need that where I'll be using the monitor.

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
Assuming only 60Hz because they didn't mention ProMotion or anything... Sad. Would've bought if it were 120+.
I too would have liked 120Hz, but there is no Mac which outputs more than 60Hz. Even the top end new Mac Studio with M1 Ultra doesn't go beyond 60Hz. So I guess Apple hasn't found a way to get to 5K at 120 Hz (or even 4K, for that matter) within the confines of M1. Maybe M2 will do better, but the Studio just out at 60Hz doesn't bode favourably in this regard.

SomeMacGuy

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
Nova Scotia
What was your estimated delivery date? Also did you order Apple Care?

March 18th in Canada. No AppleCare ever. I'm cheap and in the long run it seems to be working way in my favour to not buy extended warranties. I ordered within 5 minutes of the store coming back up, (took a few minutes to research the ins and outs of nano texture), no idea if that made any difference.

Attachments

• display.jpg
    display.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: davvid97

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Looks like I was spot-on with my predictions! 27” 5K, basically an UltraFine in fancy clothes and a much-improved webcam. Amazing stuff, and the VESA adapter is a no-cost option! ?

cczhu

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2018
Pre-ordered one with the VESA adapter. I can't see any of the stands offered being as good. You can height adjust, pivot, move the screen back and forth and so much more with VESA. The basic stand is far too elementary, the height adjustable one crazy expensive. I have the arm already, so that's a bonus.
Do you have good arms to recommend? They (high-quality ones) don't seem to be much cheaper either.

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
Do you have good arms to recommend? They (high-quality ones) don't seem to be much cheaper either.
I have had this for several years now

Does the job, and is comfortably rated for the new Studio Display, which is around 1 KG less than the weight it can hold.
It does all the main tasks, you can pull the monitor up and down, back and forth and of course pivot it. In other words, its far more versatile than either Apple stand. Plus, the esthetics are OK. The arm hides behind the monitor, you do not see anything, and it is less cluttered in front, as the monitor appears to be 'floating'.

Reactions: cczhu

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Are you sure about this? The website does not say it is LED. It does not say at all what type of display it is.
Does anyone have hard info on exactly what type of display it is?
It is an LED...it does not support HDR and it's only 600+ nits. Apple only makes either an LED, OLED or MINi-LED. LED is the only one that doesn't support HDR.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
The new display is what I wanted, except the price. I ordered one with standard stand but I am not sure it is 1300€ better than my current Dell 27” display.

ataq

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Comparing Huawei MateView with its thin bezels and 3:2 aspect ratio agaubst 16:10 of the Studio Display.

tempImage4sg8WS.jpg
tempImageO9QRUM.png

Reactions: Amethyst1

hj8ag

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Disappointed the screen doesn’t support HDR; as a content creator I was hoping for this. Now debating whether to hold off and get the Pro Display, but I’m expecting that to be updated with Center stage along with the new Mac Pro… who knows when that will be though.

All I know is if I buy one now Apple is bound to announce it ASAP ?

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Yeah comparing to my dual Mateview it's hard to justify to upgrade...or downgrade per say
It’s an upgrade in terms of resolution and pixel density but a downgrade in terms of size and aspect ratio. Argh…

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
Looks like I was spot-on with my predictions! 27” 5K, basically an UltraFine in fancy clothes and a much-improved webcam. Amazing stuff, and the VESA adapter is a no-cost option! ?

I hope the speaker is also an improvement. The speaker on the LG Ultrafine 5K lacks base and does not sound as good as the speaker on the MacBook Pro. If the speaker on the Studio Display is similar, if not better, than the one on the MBP, it would be fantastic (by the description, the speakers seems to be pretty good).

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I hope the speaker is also an improvement. The speaker on the LG Ultrafine 5K lacks base and does not sound as good as the speaker on the MacBook Pro. If the speaker on the Studio Display is similar, if not better, than the one on the MBP, it would be fantastic (by the description, the speakers seems to be pretty good).

Going to be world's apart in performance - these will basically be the speakers and mics used in the 24" iMac I reckon.

odds

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles
I too would have liked 120Hz, but there is no Mac which outputs more than 60Hz. Even the top end new Mac Studio with M1 Ultra doesn't go beyond 60Hz. So I guess Apple hasn't found a way to get to 5K at 120 Hz (or even 4K, for that matter) within the confines of M1. Maybe M2 will do better, but the Studio just out at 60Hz doesn't bode favourably in this regard.
This isn't true actually. I personally have used an M1 Air and an M1 Pro 14" MBP to drive a 4K 144Hz 27" LG monitor. The M1 chips are capable of doing it, but **5K** at anything above 60Hz isn't doable, at least with only 1 Thunderbolt connection.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
It’s an upgrade in terms of resolution and pixel density but a downgrade in terms of size and aspect ratio. Argh…
And, if you're in the US, the Huawei Mateview sells for something between $1200-$1500 depending on which importer you use, so the cost difference is minimal.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.