Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
I cannot see it at all. It's going to be at least LG UltraFine 27" money

With emphasis on the “at least”.

The LG 5K has a mixed reputation. Yes, 5K at 27” makes for an excellent retina experience (like the iMac), and that is its primary value proposition, but in almost every other respect it’s a fairly mediocre product. The stand is poor, the materials feel cheap, the design is arguably unattractive, and some people have had image retention or other issues. So I think if Apple were to release another screen, it would have to be a substantially better product than the LG… and that will come at a substantially higher price.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Mmm, partly true, they will also want to maintain a positioning of it being a premium product, which requires differentiating it from other offerings. The LG 5K is $1300, so I don’t think $1500 is a likely price point for an Apple display - it’s too close to the LG.

And many, many people will still buy it because of the Apple brand-factor. But if this is going to be a more consumer-oriented display, I don't think it's going to be the same level of Veblen good as the Mac Pro wheels ?

Last edited:

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Okay, how great would it be if Apple released a display with webcam. They should just throw a iPhone rear camera in the front and 120Hz. The ultimate display for remote work.

That’s the dream display. What’s y’all thoughts on Apple releasing something like this?

You can use your old Canon, Sony, Nikon, Fujifilm, Panasonic and other brand's point & shoot, DSLR & mirrorless as a webcam.

You can see a sample of the video image quality on YouTube from multiple YouTubers for Canon, Sony, Nikon, Fujifilm & Panasonic cameras.

Or better yet search for your digicam's model # used as a webcam.

They will produce far superior image quality and audio quality than any smaller image sensor and cheaper lens webcam built-in or separate.

Wish these camera companies allowed for this as early as 2002 as it would add utility to their 1 trick pony.

Quantity and quality of the light and how it is positioned when used with the webcam will help further.

Even when I have this gear I still do not use them as webcams as I turn the video off to save bandwidth for other people with lesser internet connections. What's important to me is the speaker's words and the visuals (power point) they want to convey

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: OS X Dude

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
You can use your old Canon, Sony, Nikon, Fujifilm, Panasonic and other brand's point & shoot, DSLR & mirrorless as a webcam.

Honestly, that goes against a lot of the rationale for why many of us want a first party display.

We want something fully integrated, well designed and clutter free.

Hacking together some external "webcam from digital camera" thing is sort of the opposite of what I'd want anywhere near a nice clean and minimal first party Apple display/desk setup.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Honestly, that goes against a lot of the rationale for why many of us want a first party display.

We want something fully integrated, well designed and clutter free.

Hacking together some external "webcam from digital camera" thing is sort of the opposite of what I'd want anywhere near a nice clean and minimal first party Apple display/desk setup.
Apple's webcam implementation on any of their laptops or desktops still pales in comparison to the setup I am endorsing.

I know of no 1st party display with an integrated camera of a quality equal to the rear camera of the iPhone 13.

Rather than waiting nearly a decade for one why not work with what is available?

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Apple's webcam implementation on any of their laptops or desktops still pales in comparison to the setup I am endorsing.

I know of no 1st party display with an integrated camera of a quality equal to the rear camera of the iPhone 13.

Rather than waiting nearly a decade for one why not work with what is available?

All that is true --

It'd be nice though, in the context of this discussion of a hopeful upcoming product, to think they might finally knock it out of the park on a webcam.

All their usual excuses would be gone (ideally). "too thin" - "no room" , etc

Though, to your points -- Apple will probably roll out some screen that is way too thin for no reason other than to "look good from behind at the reception counter of a dentists office"

smh

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
All that is true --

It'd be nice though, in the context of this discussion of a hopeful upcoming product, to think they might finally knock it out of the park on a webcam.

Though, to your points -- Apple will probably roll out some screen that is way too thin for no reason other than to "look good from behind at the reception counter of a dentists office"

smh
Apple's industrial design create a distinct added value but I do not see a better built-in webcam will get pet more than 20% of persons to buy this display.

In theory the iMac 24" M1 would be thick enough to house a iPhone 13-class rear camera as a webcam but it did not materialize.

If Apple had a native implementation of using the rear iPhone's camera as a Mac/iPad's webcam then that would be nice.

Seeming I already have multiple Canon EOS EF bodies then that's what I would be doing if I am into video conferencing.

I am waiting for a 2022 iMac Pro to replace my 2012 iMac. I would never expect it will ever have a better than iMac 24" webcam.

Last edited:

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
All that is true --

smh
I don’t think they actually make excuses in the way you describe. Making excuses would require first acknowledging that the webcams aren’t great, and that’s typically not how they operate.

As you say it would be nice if they “knock it out of the park”, but IMHO they will most likely do what they have almost always done, which is provide a merely adequate webcam but say in the marketing that it’s amazing and leave it at that. And frankly that has always been enough.

And aside from that, personally I don’t believe that the webcams are poor because of the chassis size or thickness - I am very confident that if Apple wanted to put a better webcam they would, they’re just choosing not to.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
And many, many people will still buy it because of the Apple brand-factor. But if this is going to be a more consumer-oriented display, I don't think it's going to be the same level of Veblen good as the Mac Pro wheels ?
I’m not really sure what I think yet. You really think “many, many people” would buy a consumer-oriented monitor that costs upwards of $1,500 (and perhaps as much as $2,500 if the rumour of “half the cost of the XDR” is correct)? Some people will buy it, for sure (myself included probably), but I suspect that price puts it out of reach for the vast majority of people. Especially when Dell sell 4K 27” (retina-ish) screens from as little as $375.

The LG 5K is $1,300 and they’re still fairly uncommon in my experience.

• Love

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
And aside from that, personally I don’t believe that the webcams are poor because of the chassis size or thickness - I am very confident that if Apple wanted to put a better webcam they would, they’re just choosing not to.

I agree with you completely

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I’m not really sure what I think yet. You really think “many, many people” would buy a consumer-oriented monitor that costs upwards of $1,500 (and perhaps as much as $2,500 if the rumour of “half the cost of the XDR” is correct)? Some people will buy it, for sure (myself included probably), but I suspect that price puts it out of reach for the vast majority of people. Especially when Dell sell 4K 27” (retina-ish) screens from as little as $375.

The LG 5K is $1,300 and they’re still fairly uncommon in my experience.

I think maybe we just need to wait and see what actually happens and then discuss the facts rather than our imaginations.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I think maybe you might be on the wrong website.

Predictable response, but I think you knew what I meant. It's fun to speculate, but there comes a point where the horse is beaten to death and you move on to a different topic to speculate on ?

w4rm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
All that is true --

smh
Yeah I do think webcam is the feature that will really make the new displays extra sweet.

And they will likely be better than the iMac ones because Apple likes to give better features to different products to help differentiate.

Another option with the whole camera as webcam thread is at the very least they could offer a native solution like Camo in the next iOS / macOS. To use your iPhone rear camera as a webcam. Shouldn’t be too hard for them to implement. They could probably make it wireless too unlike Camo. This feature could also make them a ton of money in accessories on Apple certified MagSafe phone stands/tripod to keep your iPhone positioned as a webcam. Or something that cradles behind your laptop screen etc.

Ultimately the dream is to just fit the rear iPhone camera module on the front of a display. The monitor would sell like hotcakes as there’s an extra value add for people who might be on the fence in getting an extra monitor.

It’s like “want iPhone quality video in your remote work and FaceTime calls”?

I really hope this happens. We’re in 2022 we shouldn’t have potato webcams anymore.

staypuftforums

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2021
Seems clear to me that the LG displays, which were for all intents and purposes Apple monitors, were priced to make sure Apple’s corresponding iMacs (21.5” and 27”) remained a better value compared to the LG display + Mac Mini + magic keyboard + magic mouse.

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
And they will likely be better than the iMac ones because Apple likes to give better features to different products to help differentiate.

Another option with the whole camera as webcam thread is at the very least they could offer a native solution like Camo in the next iOS / macOS. To use your iPhone rear camera as a webcam. Shouldn’t be too hard for them to implement. They could probably make it wireless too unlike Camo. This feature could also make them a ton of money in accessories on Apple certified MagSafe phone stands/tripod to keep your iPhone positioned as a webcam. Or something that cradles behind your laptop screen etc.

Ultimately the dream is to just fit the rear iPhone camera module on the front of a display. The monitor would sell like hotcakes as there’s an extra value add for people who might be on the fence in getting an extra monitor.
I would be extremely surprised if they did any of those things. IMHO by far the most likely thing they will do is just use the same webcams as in the iMacs. Apple like to keep things simple.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I can fully believe the 'three displays' rumour going around - 32" 6K XDR 2 accompanied by a regular Display in both 27" 5K and 24" 4K variants. All would offer the same 218ppi Retina-grade quality and a consumer can easily determine between them even just by the 'number of Ks' it has (as my mum would say, who's a total novice at tech).

Note that the above Display models would both exactly match their respective LG UltraFine models on that basis, and it's similar to how Apple had a '4K' smaller iMac and the 5K 27".

Reactions: macsplusmacs

w4rm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
I would be extremely surprised if they did any of those things. IMHO by far the most likely thing they will do is just use the same webcams as in the iMacs. Apple like to keep things simple.
I feel this would be simplifying there line up. They sell more iPhones than iMacs and they already make a ton of iPhones. Soon they will have a ton of unsold iPhone 12/13 camera modules laying around once the new camera module for iPhone 14 comes out. They’d probably get more profit on that camera module by putting it in a 2k monitor than a 700 phone.

If they married their iPhone cameras with their webcams. That would be simplifying there manufacturing.

Apple likes reusing parts in other devices I feel there’s a strong economic incentive here.

But maybe I’m wrong

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
In dire need of a good display. Budget is around 2k CAD. Should I buy a new 5k LG (~1900CAD) or wait until WWDC latest?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
In dire need of a good display. Budget is around 2k CAD. Should I buy a new 5k LG (~1900CAD) or wait until WWDC latest?
I couldn't wait until WWCD. I ordered the new (or, more like finally shipping) 40WP95C directly from LG. 40" 5k2k for those who don't know it. Based on my delivery date, my return window will span March 8, the date of the presumed Apple event. Depending on what Apple announces then I can return the LG if I find the price/features compelling. Otherwise I'll stick with the LG.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I would love to see multiple Apple displays with webcams. I think there is a real benefit to integrated webcams (which Apple obviously has long recognized with the iMac line). However, expectations have changed in that webcams should be high quality and should have physical privacy shutters. Ideally, the webcam also should be able to tilt independently of the screen, as in this one by Dell: https://9to5mac.com/2022/01/04/dell-unveils-32-inch-4k-usb-c-monitor-built-in-4k-hdr-webcam/

Reactions: anthonymoody

rforno

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2017
$1599 for the new 27" Studio Display and its onboard AV? Take my money!!!

(By contrast, the 23" Cinema Display from the early 2000s was like $2500. And al it did was display stuff.)

Reactions: uller6

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
The new studio display is also 600 nits brightness! I can't wait!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.