Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
On the positive side, I tried the second NAND and this came off no problem. Increasing the hot air to 430 degrees C worked nicely. All pads intact. I'm not sure if I lost a resistor on the right or not though, they are so tiny I can't even be sure through the microscope!
View attachment 2379956
(It looks even worse here than in reality with the reflections...)

I presume there aren't any valid configurations for 'left chip only' for this Mini model? 😂

So if I want to save it I have my work cut out with the relife pad repair kit. I can see small copper bits under each pad. Perhaps I can do one a day for a month or so! Presume no-one has the schematic of which of the 110 pins are actually used?
Lucky, NAND0 (UN000) is fully in tact, so you can use a single NAND... But only for a single 128GB config. Unfortunately repairing ripped pads that utilize via-in-pad like these is pretty difficult, if not practically impossible without a microscope and very precise equipment. But now you see why I say to practice underfilled chip removal on a junk board first... Usually on the second attempt you get it right, as seen here.

There's also the possibility of getting some junk iCloud locked board, transferring over your M1 SoC, SEP EEPROM, and WiFi chip, then upgrading that board... But that is a lot of work.

Reactions: Queen6 and foft

foft

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2024
Switzerland
So single NAND 128GB is possible. For that I guess I'd need a completely blank 128GB one rather than putting back the 2nd one that I just took off, since its not blank so it won't restore without getting one of those NAND image flashing devices right?

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
So single NAND 128GB is possible. For that I guess I'd need a completely blank 128GB one rather than putting back the 2nd one that I just took off, since its not blank so it won't restore without getting one of those NAND image flashing devices right?
Yeah, you'd need to use either a blank NAND, or flash it with the correct firmware for a single 128GB config for that specific NAND model.

yasud

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2024
On the positive side, I tried the second NAND and this came off no problem. Increasing the hot air to 430 degrees C worked nicely. All pads intact. I'm not sure if I lost a resistor on the right or not though, they are so tiny I can't even be sure through the microscope!
View attachment 2379956
(It looks even worse here than in reality with the reflections...)

I presume there aren't any valid configurations for 'left chip only' for this Mini model? 😂

So if I want to save it I have my work cut out with the relife pad repair kit. I can see small copper bits under each pad. Perhaps I can do one a day for a month or so! Presume no-one has the schematic of which of the 110 pins are actually used?
This mirrors my experience too - I destroyed the first nand completely and the second one partially before jacking it all the way up to 430 F and removing the rest of the second pad easily. Damn that under-reporting hot air station!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.