Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citysnaps

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
And how many people kept them after the 14 day return period

There was a 1% return rate, similar to iPhone.

This and my previous post were widely reported.

As I said previously, this will bother a lot of people here. With many strongly coming up with reasons why it couldn’t possibly be true, even though they have no data.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Remember the introduction of that "useless" iPhone thing

You mean the thing with a game changing multitouch interface that converged multiple very useful day to day devices/functions?

Folks - a VR headset isn't even in the same GALAXY as the iPhone and what it was at launch

I can't believe anyone is even thinking for a nano second that is a good comparison to make

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
If people in the most developed nation on the planet (i.e. with the most disposable income) don't want this thing, what makes you think people in other, less developed countries will?

Sorry, but Australia, China, Germany, France, Japan, South Korea and Singapore (mentioned in the story) are hardly "less developed" countries where people lack disposable income. They all have plenty of tech-savvy consumers who have all kinds of disposable income. The AVP is exactly the kind of early-adopter device that plenty of people in some of the wealthiest markets in the world would snap up.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
As someone who has bought 99% of every single apple product ever released since the first iPhone, and who was excited to get the AVP, even to the point of travelling to another country to buy it as it's not available here, I now have zero interest in it.

Never thought this would be the case, but I guess like the apple watch we are at least 4 iterations or more away from it being a value-use product, so around 5-6 years. Surprised to hear myself speak this way as I'm a super hardcore apple appreciator. Hope apple still has some tricks up it's sleeve...

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Well, you're not wrong.

Apple Vision Pro hasn't even finished its worldwide rollout and Apple already ships a chip that's twice as efficient.

While the AVP is still sold as a company flagship, with a flagship price.

Outdated before it's even out in most countries. With real benefits that could be had with the new chip. Either double battery life or lighter battery.

Honestly, this just shows poor planning by Apple and a rush to get it out the door, almost to prove a point.

A new category of device like this needs to have the latest silicon for like a year. This device should have come out with the M4 and probably be the first at that.

See this is what I knew would happen with naming conventions. People like you would deem the processor old purely based on the name.

The iPad shouldn't even be using "M" as it's processor names. The M4 in the IPad is not the same M4 that'll end up in the MacBook Airs next.

The M2 Ultra is still the most powerful Apple processor by far and they're currently themselves putting them in data centres and yet you're on here going "but I want an M4 in everything".

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
And now Timmy & Co. will get to see just how much of a flop this thing really is 🤣

Think about it... If people in the most developed nation on the planet (i.e. with the most disposable income) don't want this thing, what makes you think people in other, less developed countries will?

People in the "most developed nation on the planet" did NOT want:
  • Phablet-sized phones while Apple spun 3.5" and 4" as perfect. Now 'they' don't want small phones ideal for "one handed use" and not requiring "pants with bigger pockets" and "man purses." They'll even ridicule the concept of smaller phones when it comes up around here.
  • NFC (pay with phone) while iPhone did not support it.
  • Lightning port replaced by USB-C (I'm still finding lint and still not one story about "wobbly" or "broken tongues"). There must have been 200 threads full of the certain global devastation to come from that change. Apparently global devastation is not what it used to be. ;)
  • EU-driven changes but then frothing in every new emulator thread, which probably owes at least something to Apple realizing that they have to loosen up before other GOVs decide to enforce EU-like changes.
  • Etc.
Besides, "the most developed market on the planet" has only about 5% of the planet's population. That leaves 95% of people who may be more open to "differing" products/policies/app stores/etc. For example, Apple still sells a whole lot of iPhones with a physical sim slot... just not in the market referenced.

Especially given the current economic environment, with all the disasters happening right now. We've got wars, climate events, and many people can't even eat...

There's always disasters. There's always wars. Climate has been a thing for many years now and will be a thing for next century+ until we globally change our ways or exterminate ourselves. Any product that must wait for ideal economic environments around the planet + world peace + climate perfection is a product that can probably never launch.

Another question: What will they price it at?

Will it stay at USD$3,500? -- Now do the conversion to other currencies and look at just how ridiculous this pricing strategy will be.

Try the same with iPhone vs. other choices available to them. Mac. iPads. Apple chooses to be expensive. It won't be so long until a next iPhone is rumored to be $3,500... maybe 5 years from now? I have to think an iPhone Fold will be close to that as soon as it hits. And then that "market" that detests folding phones will suddenly love them... just like phablet sizes were "abominations..." now being in all of those poster's pockets (or apparently man purses).

Apple wants big fat margin above all else. That "market" seems to fall all over itself to pay any price Apple asks for the established mix... and then even jump on bulletin board sites to rationalize it for others and/or rip into those who dare point out the "robbery."

For this product, I suspect version 2 several years from now may- in fact- be a little cheaper... not by offering all it does now, but by tangibly cutting some of what it offers now, which is pretty much the only path to cheaper within the walled garden. I see no path to the dramatic price targets those whining about it seek... just as I see no path to a $300-$400 (outright) iPhone, a $100 iPad or a $300-$400 MB. Historically, when Apple significantly cuts features & benefits to feed price whine, the whiners flip to griping about how it is not as good as the more expensive version (see the occasional cheaper iPhone they try as one very good example). I expect the same here.

Personally, I am no pessimist on Vpro... so glad they are rolling it out to more countries and thus continuing to invest in it and evolve it. I see a LOT of potential in it and would rather they keep trying to grow it vs. listening to loud whiners online and quit on it.

Last edited:

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
You mean the thing with a game changing multitouch interface that converged multiple very useful day to day devices/functions?

Folks - a VR headset isn't even in the same GALAXY as the iPhone and what it was at launch

I can't believe anyone is even thinking for a nano second that is a good comparison to make
...things evolve. The unthinkable keyless phone thing became reality everywhere. As I wrote: Dare to do it and see the results - including dare to fail - but there is always a chance to win.

To be honest: I recently tried one of these Meta Quest things, as they are just available for tryout here. I was impressed, at the same time thinking: do I want to wear this more than for a demo. The answer was no. But, you never know...

Infinity20001

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2024
I’d rather get this than the spyware infected Quest 3 from Meta, but at nearly 4000 euros, that’s not gonna happen.
meta quest 3 is no more spy than AVP. especially since for some time now, having a Facebook account is no longer obligatory. In addition, the Meta Quest 3 is an excellent headset with a huge number of games available and even exclusives. Is the 7 to 8x the asking price for the APV justified? Honestly, I don't think so. even if it's a very good headset too but it's more of a prototype than anything else.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

epox999

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
How many years did it take before the killer iPhone app appeared on the App Store? Did it ever? I use only about 2-3 apps (email, browser, maps) out of 100 on my phone so not sure what that even means?
Killer App meaning the core usage or value of the product, not downloadable app from the app store

The killer app of the iphone was the touch interface perfected vs smartphones of the era

epox999

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011

exactly, almost every single person who saw the demo of the iPhone 1.0 couldn't wait to get their hands on it and knew it was going to change interaction with the internet and mobile communication.

Almost every person who saw the AVP demo were thinking "this is a $3500+ VR headset"

barabba9174-bis

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
I live in the UK, I couldn't wait to buy it, but all this waiting is taking away my hype.
In the best case they will sell me a product that is already 4 months old at full price and they have completely taken away the pleasure of investigating what's new because others have already done it.

Reactions: AppleTO

vipergts2207

Suspended
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Remember the introduction of that "useless" iPhone thing, that made M$ CEO even laugh and that statement of Steve Jobs:

“Some people say, "Give the customers what they want." But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, 'A faster horse!'" People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page.”

There are things, that fail, but you only find it out, if you dare to launch them and maybe make them a success.
I don’t think people were generally calling the iPhone useless. And Ballmer’s chief complaint was that it was too expensive. And it was. Apple lowered the price within 3 months of launch if I recall. And as CEO of a company offering a competing product, I would expect him to critique the device.

Reactions: gusmula

Polinsky

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2023
I live in the UK, I couldn't wait to buy it, but all this waiting is taking away my hype.
In the best case they will sell me a product that is already 4 months old at full price and they have completely taken away the pleasure of investigating what's new because others have already done it.
This sentiment is completely beyond my ability to comprehend. I don't think you are the intended target for this product.

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland
If people in the most developed nation on the planet (i.e. with the most disposable income) don't want this thing, what makes you think people in other, less developed countries will?
You think the USA is the "most developed nation on the planet" and Australia, China, Germany, France, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore are "less developed countries"?

And you think people in the USA have "the most disposable income" compared to other countries?

You haven't traveled much, have you...?

barabba9174-bis

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2024
This sentiment is completely beyond my ability to comprehend. I don't think you are the intended target for this product.
It’s the tech enthusiastic sentiment.
I’m mad for technology and above all XR, this is the very first time I cannot buy VR headset at the day one.

Reactions: fatTribble
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.