Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
“Virtue signaling is not virtue. Athens signaled their virtues and murdered Socrates.” Bubba Satori
have the people who call virtue-signaling on these band releases ever considered that the idea is, a consumer who’s part of whichever community these represent can wear the band to show solidarity with people who have been marginalized for parallel reasons to them?

does anyone call virtue-signaling on companies that manufacture Pride flags? oh…crazy 🤪 I’m not gonna assume anything about your life (ie not making this comment about you) because I don’t know it—in general, this sentiment reeks of ignorance towards the idea of representation. the idea of seeing a symbol on someone else and feeling seen. that feeling is insanely valuable especially when the fight for true LGBTQ+ equality is far from over (and that’s only in the U.S., not even factoring other countries where homosexuality is a crime punishable by death). 🤷

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
If you implicitly think that “brown” is “ugly” then you really need to stop and think about that some more…
Ugh, y'all don't have to be offended by everything. The OP did not mean anything racist about it, he was only saying the color brown disoriented the flow of colors. As a Graphic Designer, I understand what he meant. My goodness, cancel culture is ridiculous.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Looks like they are seriously struggling to add all the colours. It is ridiculous how many colours keep getting added to this representation. Think it’s about time the community involved came up with something a bit simpler and just included everyone they want to represent. It was colourful at first, now it’s become a bit of a mess.
the attempted reach here gave me a chuckle, the queer community’s been using the same all-inclusive flag for about a decade now

IMG_2744.jpeg

hard-pressed to see how this doesn’t translate quite well to the Woven loops they’ve come out with but that’s just me I guess

Dopestdude2

Suspended
Apr 19, 2022
Ugh, y'all don't have to be offended by everything. The OP did not mean anything racist about it, he was only saying the color brown disoriented the flow of colors. As a Graphic Designer, I understand what he meant. My goodness, cancel culture is ridiculous.
Using the words cancel culture like y’all do on everything somebody disagrees with you on is also ridiculous.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
the attempted reach here gave me a chuckle, the queer community’s been using the same all-inclusive flag for about a decade now

View attachment 2375073

hard-pressed to see how this doesn’t translate quite well to the Woven loops they’ve come out with but that’s just me I guess

Hmm last I checked they have continued to add groups and colours, no ‘hard reach’ at all, that is entirely your incorrect personal opinion and assumption.
And case in point from 2021, your flag is outdated:

You should try and keep up with the flag changes.

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I am actually quite saddened by some of the exchanges in this thread; I would have assumed online tech sites skewed more open, but that wasn’t really based on anything.

My stance is - I look forward to the day where such bands and Pride Month won’t be needed because we’ve moved past discrimination on that front. Until such a time that being a part of the LGBTQ+ community is as unremarkable as being heterosexual then things like this are needed.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I am actually quite saddened by some of the exchanges in this thread; I would have assumed online tech sites skewed more open, but that wasn’t really based on anything.

My stance is - I look forward to the day where such bands and Pride Month won’t be needed because we’ve moved past discrimination on that front. Until such a time that being a part of the LGBTQ+ community is as unremarkable as being heterosexual then things like this are needed.
Most of the country is tolerant…..other parts of the world not so much. People have issue with stuff being singled out Constantly, hence the sarcasm in the thread. Everything was rainbow flag for decades. Until a few years ago now a new color and stripe etc keeps getting added because LGB got their full acceptance in recent years. Now a new letter and color gets added every couple months. Soon they will be out of colors and letters of the alphabet.

TL;DR. It’s becoming absurd And waters down the original movement.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
No one cares and no one needs your approval for anything.
Is this true? Isn’t the LGBT movement at least partly about getting society (including individuals) to care about and to be in favor of LGBT people? Or is it just about getting legal protections without regard to changing minds of individuals?

Reactions: gusmula

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Hmm last I checked they have continued to add groups and colours, no ‘hard reach’ at all, that is entirely your incorrect personal opinion and assumption.
And case in point from 2021, your flag is outdated:

You should try and keep up with the flag changes.
bro touch some grass I’m glad you did a Google search and found out there are in fact a billion flags for every subset of the queer community 🤣 I know it’s a stereotype that queer folks are super up-in-arms at all times about the right terminology, the right symbols, the right flags, so your goading of that stereotype is another appreciated chuckle. realistically most of us don’t care enough and wave the flag I pictured 95% of the time.

always dope to see one with a circle to represent ace people though!

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
ah… the wonderful comments of this thread…

anywho… thinking about getting one of these bands so other guys “know” and makes certain conversations in some places easier lol.
So now you gotta have a special band to talk to people of a certain group? This is quite literally becoming a circus complete with colored wrist bands 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.