Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
So now you gotta have a special band to talk to people of a certain group? This is quite literally becoming a circus complete with colored wrist bands 😂
I’m gonna take this question in good faith and give an answer…

One of the challenges of being gay is that there’s often no easy way to tell if someone you want to get to know (for either social or dating reasons) is also gay.

Saying “hey, are you gay?” might get one of several responses, many of them safe, but sometimes either verbal or physical abuse. And there’s no way of knowing which one you’ll get, until you ask. That’s the unfortunate reality of society as it is today.

So it’s genuinely helpful to have things like this, that signal that someone is probably LGBTQ+, or at least is someone open-minded enough to not get abusive if you ask.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I can not fathom why straight people would feel diminished by the existence of Pride watch bands. Nor, can I understand why they would want watch bands to celebrate acceptance for being straight.

I have two sons. One is gay and one is straight. That's just the way they were made from day one. They are young men now, and both turned out great. However, while my gay son had to deal with acceptance from family and friends, my straight son never needed to think about this stuff. My straight son will not have to worry about getting bullied for his sexual orientation. He won't have to avoid certain countries when he travels. He won't have to worry about discrimination in the workplace.

So, if Apple makes a Pride watch band, that's fine by me. Personally, I would not buy one because I prefer boring solid colors. This is because I simply can not mix and match colors for a damn. Zero fashion sense. But, if my son asked me to wear one to show support at a function or event, I would have no problem doing so.

If you like these watch bands, buy it and wear with pride. If it isn't your taste in colors, don't buy it. Simple as that.

Last edited:

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
Brown Zune™️ wants to know where all the color brown defenders were back in 2006. ;)

IMG_0105.jpeg

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Can we have straight pride bands as well? I mean if you need a band to call out what you like, isn’t that unfairly excluding others? Just saying….
The US is a weird place for the past couple of years. They favor certain groups but forget the rest of them don't fit their agenda.

Reactions: Razorpit

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I'm just glad it looks good and is legible this year. Celebrate what you want, but maybe on a watch face make it easier to read the time.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Ugh, y'all don't have to be offended by everything. The OP did not mean anything racist about it, he was only saying the color brown disoriented the flow of colors. As a Graphic Designer, I understand what he meant. My goodness, cancel culture is ridiculous.
I'm good. You can't cancel someone that doesn't give a **** if they offend others. lol.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
Can we have straight pride bands as well? I mean if you need a band to call out what you like, isn’t that unfairly excluding others? Just saying….

I'm quite certain you've heard this before and are just refusing to acknowledge it, but on the off chance you haven't—straight people don't need pride bands because straight people in general have no need to be proud of their identity. When LGBT people say we have pride, we mean it in the sense that "pride" is the opposite of "shame." Many/most of us grew up hiding a huge part of ourselves and being ashamed of who we are, so having pride is our way of rejecting those feelings and celebrating our identity. Straight people simply don't share that experience and thus don't need to celebrate their straightness.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
Ugh, y'all don't have to be offended by everything. The OP did not mean anything racist about it, he was only saying the color brown disoriented the flow of colors. As a Graphic Designer, I understand what he meant. My goodness, cancel culture is ridiculous.

Agreed at the overreaction, but nobody is being cancelled here lol people are just disagreeing with each other. That isn't "cancel culture" 😂

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
I know it’s a stereotype that queer folks are super up-in-arms at all times about the right terminology, the right symbols, the right flags, so your goading of that stereotype is another appreciated chuckle. realistically most of us don’t care enough and wave the flag I pictured 95% of the time.

This is so true. It's like 99% straight, cis, white women who are up in arms all the time about terminology that doesn't even apply to them 😂

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
the attempted reach here gave me a chuckle, the queer community’s been using the same all-inclusive flag for about a decade now

View attachment 2375073

hard-pressed to see how this doesn’t translate quite well to the Woven loops they’ve come out with but that’s just me I guess

No need to make things up—the 6-color Pride flag (i.e. the good one) has been in use for decades (since 1979). The one pictured there is the "Progress" Pride Flag, which was created in 2018. And that isn't even the latest! There's also the 2021 "Intersex-inclusive" Pride Flag, which added a yellow triangle and purple circle for the infinitesimal population of intersex people who apparently felt left out by the yellow and purple stripes on the 1979 flag.

I personally don't like the newer flags because the 1979 version already included everyone (hence the rainbow). I think the additional stripes completely undermine the flag, both literally and figuratively—none of them are actually in a rainbow (black isn't even a color, and white is all the colors), and separating out certain demographics is unnecessarily divisive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.