Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I've been thinking about an Apple Watch for a while now. But some questions for you seasoned pro's as I've never owned one.

I'm not a gym bunny, but am trying to increase my daily steps count using the health app on my iPhone. Beside this useful feature what are the top 5 things I'd get out of it.

Also I tend to update my iPhone every 2 years, and will again this September (presuming the refresh cycle is the same).

How long can you expect an Apple watch to last? Specifically the battery. My iPhone doesn't quite get through the day these days. When can I expect the Apple watch to do the same?

Lastly is the aluminium one okay after a few months or does it get scratched a lot? I just work in an office, but couldn't stand a scratched beaten up thing. Do you guys use cases or screen protectors?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Besides step count, it can monitor your heart beat and rhythm. It is good for helping with notifications from Mrs. AFB, as well as receiving and making calls, texts, along with weather, syncing with your phone, and a plethora of other useful features.

My series 5 easily last the day. I do charge it every night. I also have a series 3 that I use for sleep tracking.

My series 3 is aluminum and my series 5 is stainless steel. I prefer the stainless steel model as the screen has more durable glass, not to mention more scratch resistant.

If you won’t be using the watch for exercising, you could probably do fine with the aluminum model, seeing how you have an office job.

Once you get it, you will wonder how you went so long without it.

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
I've been thinking about an Apple Watch for a while now. But some questions for you seasoned pro's as I've never owned one.

I'm not a gym bunny, but am trying to increase my daily steps count using the health app on my iPhone. Beside this useful feature what are the top 5 things I'd get out of it.

Also I tend to update my iPhone every 2 years, and will again this September (presuming the refresh cycle is the same).

How long can you expect an Apple watch to last? Specifically the battery. My iPhone doesn't quite get through the day these days. When can I expect the Apple watch to do the same?

Lastly is the aluminium one okay after a few months or does it get scratched a lot? I just work in an office, but couldn't stand a scratched beaten up thing. Do you guys use cases or screen protectors?

I encourage you not to get an Apple watch. Read up on the watch and make the decision. It's not up to others to convince you to make that decision.

Good luck if you do bite the bullet with the watch.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I encourage you not to get an Apple watch. Read up on the watch and make the decision. It's not up to others to convince you to make that decision.

But you just encouraged him to NOT get the watch, which kinda defeats the purpose of your plea at the end.

@Apple fanboy: dog knows I'm no gym creature, that said I do like the step counter and the heart rate monitor.

I brought my Series 3 at launch - aluminium (and I'll thank you spell checker to not spell that word incorrectly!) and it is still going strong for me today.

I got the LTE version and, whilst I don't use that feature daily, I do like to run quick errands (more so these Covid days) and leave my phone at home.

I rarely use my phone notifications now, most of the time I use the Watch, and I also use the Unlock my Mac feature constantly.

Finally, I have found using the watches camera viewfinder feature extremely handy when I've wanted to take pictures of pipes etc. behind drywall where I can just about get the camera in a hole but not otherwise see what I'm looking for.

Naturally, YMMV, but both myself and the Missus both like our Apple Watches.

I actually have a series 1 as well that I've been using for sleep monitoring. If I do get a Series 6 this year I'll move the 3 into that task.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I've had my aluminum S02 for 3 years. I did a 60 minute walk today, got multiple alerts and notifications and at 5:30 pm it's still at 75% charge. I shake it and it gives me the time, and there are some really useful complications including the timer so I can track set and forget activities. I'd love to get a bigger one, but this currently serves all my needs.
YMMV.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I've tried various watches. Garmin Fenix, Fitbit and so on. I always come back to the Apple Watch as I'm very tied into the Apple system. It has also helped me at work as I can deal with a lot of things on my watch which saves me tons of time. The watch is not for everyone though. I say try one and if you don't like it return it within the return period. No harm done.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I’ve read up on it yes. Just looking for opinions from current watch owners. Obviously I’m not looking for people to make my decisions for me. Just the way I worded the thread title.
[automerge]1595399963[/automerge]
But you just encouraged him to NOT get the watch, which kinda defeats the purpose of your plea at the end.

@Apple fanboy: dog knows I'm no gym creature, that said I do like the step counter and the heart rate monitor.

I brought my Series 3 at launch - aluminium (and I'll thank you spell checker to not spell that word incorrectly!) and it is still going strong for me today.

I got the LTE version and, whilst I don't use that feature daily, I do like to run quick errands (more so these Covid days) and leave my phone at home.

I rarely use my phone notifications now, most of the time I use the Watch, and I also use the Unlock my Mac feature constantly.

Finally, I have found using the watches camera viewfinder feature extremely handy when I've wanted to take pictures of pipes etc. behind drywall where I can just about get the camera in a hole but not otherwise see what I'm looking for.

Naturally, YMMV, but both myself and the Missus both like our Apple Watches.

I actually have a series 1 as well that I've been using for sleep monitoring. If I do get a Series 6 this year I'll move the 3 into that task.
Hadn’t really thought about the camera viewfinder. Now if I could only tie that in to my DSLR I’d be ordering the new one at launch!
[automerge]1595400012[/automerge]
Don't buy one.
Were you captain of the school debating team? ;)
[automerge]1595400136[/automerge]
I've tried various watches. Garmin Fenix, Fitbit and so on. I always come back to the Apple Watch as I'm very tied into the Apple system. It has also helped me at work as I can deal with a lot of things on my watch which saves me tons of time. The watch is not for everyone though. I say try one and if you don't like it return it within the return period. No harm done.
I’ve not worn a watch for years. But if I did buy one I know enough that it would be the Apple Watch. I think the others, although cheaper won’t integrate into my Apple world either.

Reactions: TiggrToo

fridayxiii

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
From a new user.....

I got my first Apple Watch (S3 aluminum) a couple weeks ago, and am kinda sorry I didn't get one earlier. The age of spending 12+ hours/week in the gym are long gone, but I wanna try to get back in shape and be healthy for someone approaching middle age. To that end, I appreciate the AW reminders to at least get up & stand for one minute every hour. I'm a computer jockey, so getting a nudge from the AW to push away from the desk & move every hour is helpful. I end up doing more than just standing, and doing so for more than the suggested minute. I also like the reminders to breathe for one minute (I set my AW to prompt me 6x per day). Even thought I don't really meditate, focusing on my breath helps relax and clear my mind. I think both of these little features will help me be healthier overall, and the little steps will lead to more, better, bigger, habits.

I have the cellular/LTE model, so as another mentioned, it's nice to run an errand & leave the house without always toting my XR. Going for hikes or rucking and having music with me but not carrying the iPhone is another benefit. I also like having Apple Pay on my wrist and not using my phone for that function. In addition, reminders and notifications are nice. I've limited my AW notifications to messages, calls, email, etc. so I don't find myself wasting as much time on Instagram or Facebook after picking up my phone just to close a reminder or scan a message.

If you're on the fence about an AW, look for a Series 3. It has many of the features the S5 does but for a much lower price. I went this route as I wasn't 100% sure about wearing a watch full-time, or how much value I'd get from a smartwatch, so I wanted to spend a little less for the trial run. As it turns out I love my Apple Watch and have become a quick convert, a fast believer, and will definitely upgrade in 2021.

Reactions: TiggrToo

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I, too, am a new user (got my AW S5 on June 25th). I'm an active person for health reasons (I go to Orange Theory Fitness twice a week, run three times a week, and usually get a nice long hike in twice a month), but I do find the alerts on the AW to move and stand up nice, since I have a desk job and it is good to be reminded to get up/move around hourly. I also find myself wanting to complete my activity rings daily, so I have started using my OSHA rest breaks and the end of my lunch break to take a short walk where as before I did not. My move goal is pretty modest, since I do not use the AW to track my exercise, I have a Garmin Forerunner for this purpose (although I will eventually replace it with my AW).

Other health related features I like are the Breathe app and Heart Rate app. I agree with @fridayxiii , the breath app is nice and allows me to take a moment to re center myself. Even though it may not feel like a big thing, it does help my overall mood throughout the day. The heart rate app is helpful in seeing if I am getting worked up or tense and a good reminder to calm down (ie stop and use the breathe app).

I like the ability to gets texts when I am away from my phone (I have the GPS model, but I am usually somewhere that has a wireless connection). I also like the ability to get my texts on my wrist without having to fish my phone out of my pocket.

Other nice features I use are the weather app (mainly so I can glance at the temperature on the watch face) and the reminder app (again, so I can get my reminders without having to fish out my phone).

Just for perspective, I had been on the fence regarding an AW for over a year and while I could live without it, I am glad I do not have to.

Thank you @TiggrToo for pointing out the camera viewfinder feature, this looks very handy!

Reactions: fridayxiii

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020
Just looking for opinions from current watch owners.
I love my watch, for several reasons:
  • I have an office job so I am sitting (too) much. Whenever I sat down for 50 minutes of an hour, the watch reminds me to get up for a minute. (You can deactivate this feature but for me, it's great.)
  • Heart rate. After a certain time, I learnt, through the watch, about my resting heart rate. If I catch a virus or something, RHR will rise. The good thing for me is, when I am uncertain whether I develop a cold, I look at RHR. Very reassuring when its normal!
  • Usually I have my phone tucked away and put silent. I missed some calls and messages. Since I have the watch, it vibrates at my wrist and shows me calls and messages. Wonderful! (Maybe one needs LTE, which I got, for this feature.)
  • Great for exercising.
  • Great for slimming. The watch measures activity calories. I learnt what I burnt through activities and decided to burn more.
I got the small aluminum one just because I wanted the lightest watch around, don't like heavy watches. Battery was good for a whole day in the first year. Now, after 1,5 years, it dwindles. Will contact Apple Care (which I got) for help.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
From a new user.....

I got my first Apple Watch (S3 aluminum) a couple weeks ago, and am kinda sorry I didn't get one earlier. The age of spending 12+ hours/week in the gym are long gone, but I wanna try to get back in shape and be healthy for someone approaching middle age. To that end, I appreciate the AW reminders to at least get up & stand for one minute every hour. I'm a computer jockey, so getting a nudge from the AW to push away from the desk & move every hour is helpful. I end up doing more than just standing, and doing so for more than the suggested minute. I also like the reminders to breathe for one minute (I set my AW to prompt me 6x per day). Even thought I don't really meditate, focusing on my breath helps relax and clear my mind. I think both of these little features will help me be healthier overall, and the little steps will lead to more, better, bigger, habits.

I have the cellular/LTE model, so as another mentioned, it's nice to run an errand & leave the house without always toting my XR. Going for hikes or rucking and having music with me but not carrying the iPhone is another benefit. I also like having Apple Pay on my wrist and not using my phone for that function. In addition, reminders and notifications are nice. I've limited my AW notifications to messages, calls, email, etc. so I don't find myself wasting as much time on Instagram or Facebook after picking up my phone just to close a reminder or scan a message.

If you're on the fence about an AW, look for a Series 3. It has many of the features the S5 does but for a much lower price. I went this route as I wasn't 100% sure about wearing a watch full-time, or how much value I'd get from a smartwatch, so I wanted to spend a little less for the trial run. As it turns out I love my Apple Watch and have become a quick convert, a fast believer, and will definitely upgrade in 2021.
Thank you for the response. Sounds like no regrets then.
[automerge]1595434367[/automerge]
I, too, am a new user (got my AW S5 on June 25th). I'm an active person for health reasons (I go to Orange Theory Fitness twice a week, run three times a week, and usually get a nice long hike in twice a month), but I do find the alerts on the AW to move and stand up nice, since I have a desk job and it is good to be reminded to get up/move around hourly. I also find myself wanting to complete my activity rings daily, so I have started using my OSHA rest breaks and the end of my lunch break to take a short walk where as before I did not. My move goal is pretty modest, since I do not use the AW to track my exercise, I have a Garmin Forerunner for this purpose (although I will eventually replace it with my AW).

Other health related features I like are the Breathe app and Heart Rate app. I agree with @fridayxiii , the breath app is nice and allows me to take a moment to re center myself. Even though it may not feel like a big thing, it does help my overall mood throughout the day. The heart rate app is helpful in seeing if I am getting worked up or tense and a good reminder to calm down (ie stop and use the breathe app).

I like the ability to gets texts when I am away from my phone (I have the GPS model, but I am usually somewhere that has a wireless connection). I also like the ability to get my texts on my wrist without having to fish my phone out of my pocket.

Other nice features I use are the weather app (mainly so I can glance at the temperature on the watch face) and the reminder app (again, so I can get my reminders without having to fish out my phone).

Just for perspective, I had been on the fence regarding an AW for over a year and while I could live without it, I am glad I do not have to.

Thank you @TiggrToo for pointing out the camera viewfinder feature, this looks very handy!
Good to know. Sounds like everyone who bought one is finding it useful.
[automerge]1595434456[/automerge]
I love my watch, for several reasons:
  • I have an office job so I am sitting (too) much. Whenever I sat down for 50 minutes of an hour, the watch reminds me to get up for a minute. (You can deactivate this feature but for me, it's great.)
  • Heart rate. After a certain time, I learnt, through the watch, about my resting heart rate. If I catch a virus or something, RHR will rise. The good thing for me is, when I am uncertain whether I develop a cold, I look at RHR. Very reassuring when its normal!
  • Usually I have my phone tucked away and put silent. I missed some calls and messages. Since I have the watch, it vibrates at my wrist and shows me calls and messages. Wonderful! (Maybe one needs LTE, which I got, for this feature.)
  • Great for exercising.
  • Great for slimming. The watch measures activity calories. I learnt what I burnt through activities and decided to burn more.
I got the small aluminum one just because I wanted the lightest watch around, don't like heavy watches. Battery was good for a whole day in the first year. Now, after 1,5 years, it dwindles. Will contact Apple Care (which I got) for help.
Calories burned would be very useful. Is there an app that says how many cookies I can eat today? :)
[automerge]1595434604[/automerge]
Ideally I’d like to try the small and large one on, but I’m not sure that’s currently available given the restrictions.
However I will be waiting until the new one is announced and then either picking up the older one for less or the new one if it looks like it has a feature I like.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I've only used the remote shutter button when I first got the watch. Based on your post, I took a look a this again. Creeped my wife out, since you could use it to unobtrusively observe someone without their knowing.

Last edited:

iDaniel88

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2017
Norway
I’d say it’s worth getting the AW just for Apple Pay, but there are obviously tons of other benefits that posters have touched upon. I use the reminder app basically as a PA on my wrist all the time.

Reactions: Apple fanboy

Dingster101

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2015
I moved from a Fitbit to the S3 when they discounted it. I love it. I may move up to and LTE S5 soon. I’d say grab an S3 for now and evaluate your needs with that.

dsdevries

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Calories burned would be very useful. Is there an app that says how many cookies I can eat today? :)

Yes, there is! It's called MyFitnessPal by Under Armour. You can use the app on your iPhone to track your calorie intake and your macro/micro nutrients. So together with the activity tracker on your phone which tells you how much calories you burned, you can figure out how much cookies you may eat. If you want to loose weight, you should have a calorie deficit. You can set your weight goals and the app will calculate how much of a deficit you need and it has an Apple Watch app with a complication that shows you a nice ring on your watch face.

Only thing is, for this app to work you do need to track áll of the things you eat throughout the day, every day. So I sometimes use it for a set period just to see if no unhealthy habits have sneaked in and to get my back on track. But I wouldn't advise on using this app constantly, because you'll start to feel more like a robot. Unless you suffer from morbid obesity and need to loose a lot of weight over a substantial amount of time in a safe way.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA

I have a 1st Gen Apple Watch Sport (5 years old), and it lasts me almost all day most days, so you'll definitely get good battery life, especially with a newer watch. The aluminum of mine is a little scratched in the corner, but that's because my dog kept trying to chew on it. ? But even that isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it. I personally don't use a case or screen protector.

Top 3 features:
1. Activity (Soon-to-be-called Fitness) - This app is almost the core of Apple Watch. The Stand reminders in particular are very appreciated, and the coaching each day doesn't feel fake or computer-generated.
2. Customization - The watch is the most customizable device Apple makes, both with the watch faces and the bands.
3. Communication - Notifications and cellular, if you want it
4. Health Guardian - The high, irregular, and low heart rate notifications, etc.
5. Workout - The workout tracking is helpful, and the ability to see a summary of your previous workouts on your iPhone is one of my favorite features.

Reactions: limesmoothie

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I moved from a Fitbit to the S3 when they discounted it. I love it. I may move up to and LTE S5 soon. I’d say grab an S3 for now and evaluate your needs with that.

A cheapish $199 investment is a start if you’re unsure. Might be even cheaper in September with the arrival of the S6.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Prorege1

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2020
During a clearance sale today here in Denmark I found an Apple Watch Series 3 Nike+ 42mm (GPS & Cellular) for USD 244 - the price convinced me to give it a try :)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Avoid the aluminum one unless you plan on wear a watch case and/or screen protector with it. The display scratches super easily.

fbm3334

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2020
I was a bit sceptical about the Apple Watch before I bought my iPhone and Series 5 AW, but it is very handy to have and definitely something I am glad to have. The benefits for me include:
  • The activity tracking, which many people have mentioned before - the AW also gives you monthly challenges based on your activity deficiencies (I believe) which can give motivation.
  • The weather app is very useful if I am just leaving the house and want to check whether it will rain (useful in the UK ?).
  • The usefulness of the smaller apps, such as the timer/stopwatch apps - these are very useful when cooking etc.
  • Apple Pay is much more convenient on the AW - it is much quicker to access on the AW than on the iPhone, especially with Face ID.
  • The heart rate and ECG (on S4 up) features are a nice health safeguard.
  • I am not sure whether it has been mentioned before, but the AW can unlock your Mac - this is quicker than even using Touch ID on a compatible Mac.
In terms of battery life, I get around a day and a half's use on a full charge with always on display turned on on my S5. The charging is pretty quick, so while the AW may not have the best battery life, you can for example just give it a 30 minute charge while getting ready in the morning to top up the battery.

I have the Space Grey aluminium AW, and after 9 months, the metal is in excellent condition with no chips or scratches. The display has some light surface scratches and a couple of deeper ones, but these do not bother me that much.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I have really come to love the watch. For many of the previously stated reasons. One of the main reasons I got my first S4, last year, was for fall detection. While I am older, young people can also fall. Apple Pay is much easier on the watch. I use the Stopwatch feature every morning for timing coffee brewing and the timer for cooking at night.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.