Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Plus disappointing Aluminium only for GPS so not only would you need to pay the SS premium, you need to pay the extra $100 for Cellular and the extra monthly to have it on your plan.
I’d not go cellular. I’m not looking to pay another monthly bill.
[automerge]1595617249[/automerge]
I know, that sucks. But you should be perfect fine with a good screen protector. I personally hate screen protectors, so I might spend more next time.
Definitely worth a screen protector. I always use them on my iPhone.

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
I've been thinking about an Apple Watch for a while now. But some questions for you seasoned pro's as I've never owned one.

I'm not a gym bunny, but am trying to increase my daily steps count using the health app on my iPhone. Beside this useful feature what are the top 5 things I'd get out of it.

Also I tend to update my iPhone every 2 years, and will again this September (presuming the refresh cycle is the same).

How long can you expect an Apple watch to last? Specifically the battery. My iPhone doesn't quite get through the day these days. When can I expect the Apple watch to do the same?

Lastly is the aluminium one okay after a few months or does it get scratched a lot? I just work in an office, but couldn't stand a scratched beaten up thing. Do you guys use cases or screen protectors?

1. Siri works surprisingly well.
  2. Weather widget, at least in my case with Carrot, was really nice.
  3. You can use it as a phone. It's nice when you are laying on the bed and the phone rings from another room.
  4. The reminders app can be a bit awkward but creating and checking them is handy.
  5. Apple Pay is really convenient, especially these days.
  6. The breath app is good
  7. The ring are OK, for what you are describing, they'll probably help.
I never managed to scratch mine and I bashed it fairly hard. The battery will get through a day, just not two.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Avoid the aluminum one unless you plan on wear a watch case and/or screen protector with it. The display scratches super easily.

I've had a series 4 for about a year now, and I use a screen protector named "IQ Shield", and have nary a scratch on my watch. The body is fine too, but then, I don't go around using the watch as a hammer either.. :D

Reactions: millerj123

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have really come to love the watch. For many of the previously stated reasons. One of the main reasons I got my first S4, last year, was for fall detection. While I am older, young people can also fall. Apple Pay is much easier on the watch. I use the Stopwatch feature every morning for timing coffee brewing and the timer for cooking at night.
Fall detection is a wonderful feature. I was running a Ultra Marathon a couple months ago in the mountains, and took two hard falls. And each time, the watch asked if I had fallen, and did I need medical attention alerted. All alone at 3:30am in the mountains and I didn’t feel overly concerned since the watch alerted like it should have.

zkap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2019
I had been contemplating getting an Apple Watch for more than a year. I am aware it is not a necessity, but at some point I decided to give it a go because I feel like it's one of those things that you have to try to know what it is. It can be irrelevant for some, but for others it may be the best gadget they own. So I figured I'd buy one and see for myself because other people's experiences won't necessarily translate to mine.

I bought the Series 4 44mm (I never go for the newest top tier model when I buy Apple products) and it hasn't even been a full week so I can't really say much, just that at the end of the day buying one is the only way to know for sure what kind of use you'll get out of it and if it'll fit you.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I had been contemplating getting an Apple Watch for more than a year. I am aware it is not a necessity, but at some point I decided to give it a go because I feel like it's one of those things that you have to try to know what it is. It can be irrelevant for some, but for others it may be the best gadget they own. So I figured I'd buy one and see for myself because other people's experiences won't necessarily translate to mine.

I bought the Series 4 44mm (I never go for the newest top tier model when I buy Apple products) and it hasn't even been a full week so I can't really say much, just that at the end of the day buying one is the only way to know for sure what kind of use you'll get out of it and if it'll fit you.
Yes I'm sure that makes a lot of sense. I was just trying to get a feel for some of the things people use them for (especially those who are not massive keep fit fanatics).

If my funds allow I shall look for a good price on the series 4 when the 5 drops later this year. But its also the year I upgrade my iPhone typically, so there is that as well.

JCCL

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2010
Why would we need to convince the OP? Is not like we are Apple sales people. If you like it and are compelled enough by the features buy, if not then don’t. Features are well document in Apple’s site and several other sites.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I also have an aluminium AW S4 and, like @fbm3334, I have no scratches. I don't go out of my way to be careful and I swap which arm I put it on every now and again.
I have an aluminum S02 I've worn just about every day since I got it in 2017. I have a tiny scratch on the left upper corner. I tried a screen protector for about a week and hated it. It was just not for me. No protector, no bumper, NBD.

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
I'm not a gym bunny, but am trying to increase my daily steps count using the health app on my iPhone. Beside this useful feature what are the top 5 things I'd get out of it.
The watch will provide more accurate data - including an estimate of calories burned.

How long can you expect an Apple watch to last? Specifically the battery. My iPhone doesn't quite get through the day these days.
Ballpark expect your watch battery to last twice as long as a phone, both in terms of single charge use and long term battery health.

Generally it needs about 30 minutes on the charger to last something like 40 hours depending on your usage pattern.

Lastly is the aluminium one okay after a few months or does it get scratched a lot? I just work in an office, but couldn't stand a scratched beaten up thing. Do you guys use cases or screen protectors?
I wear my aluminium watch while painting, using angle grinders including with sparks directly onto the watch, working with greasy engine parts, gardening... after a couple years it still looks great. I don't use any protection at all and just minor cosmetic scratches but you have to look very close.

I'm suspect the steel watch is worse but haven't owned one to compare. But a polished surface would surely highlight tiny scratches?

The bands deteriorate much faster than the watch... until I dropped a small fortune on a DLC coated band and it has lasted nearly two watches and is still near perfect.

I know a few people who take better care of their watch than me who have smashed the screen, and it's a very expensive repair. I regret not buying AppleCare+ even though I'm towards the end of my second watch and have never needed repairs.

As for wether you should get one... It tells the time. The date. The weather. your calendars and reminders. It's the best way to use Siri by far. The best way to do timers. The best alarm clock (can wake you up, and not another person sleeping in the same bed). You can read messages and answer (or reject) phone calls without getting your phone out. It will warn you if you're exposed to dangers like noise or detect a fall and offer to call for help. It's a surprisingly good flashlight. Apple Pay aifh a double press of the side button and no biometrics required. It types passwords into your Mac (in a few places, but not enough of them yet). The list goes on and on. But don't forget it tell's time - that is the most useful part of all.

I would never go without it.

Last edited:
Reactions: compwiz1202

SOG1969

Suspended
Jul 7, 2020
I've been thinking about an Apple Watch for a while now. But some questions for you seasoned pro's as I've never owned one.

Also I tend to update my iPhone every 2 years, and will again this September (presuming the refresh cycle is the same).

How long can you expect an Apple watch to last? Specifically the battery. My iPhone doesn't quite get through the day these days. When can I expect the Apple watch to do the same?

No need to convince anyone. Buy it, use it for < 14 days - love it or return it.

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
No need to convince anyone. Buy it, use it for < 14 days - love it or return it.
Not possible in many countries if purchased from an authorised Apple reseller. Products can only be returned if they don't work or have a problem.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yes I could buy it and return it if it’s not for me. But I’m just not the sort of guy to do that. That’s what’s pushes the price up for the rest of us!
Going to wait until the new one is released and make my decision then.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy

Used my AW sport silver series 2 since august 2017 when I bought it (one apple care + claim for a chink glass at work, hit the screen with a Mayfield head clamp) : no problem at all with aluminium body (no scratches or similar), it's vey light with sport loop, sport band and similar. I use it every day for push up notification (especially at work), timer, alarm clock, calendar and reminder. Less for activity but it's nice that it could remember me to walk after one hour sitting or to track my movement at work and during walk with dog. During lockdown I performed a little bit of workout at home and I appreciate it.

My suggestion is to try it: it's your decision about pick the newest model or new series 3 or a second hand series 4/5. All of this could be resell well if you don't like it.

pollycat

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2004
Not possible in many countries if purchased from an authorised Apple reseller. Products can only be returned if they don't work or have a problem.

In Hong Kong, you can't return anything at all you buy from Apple's own online store, no returns / refunds at all!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You can in the U.K. to. Anything you buy on line can be returned. But as I said earlier, I’m not really the sort of person who does that.

Well very.co.uk you can’t. As soon as you open it there it you can’t return it unless it’s faulty

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well very.co.uk you can’t. As soon as you open it there it you can’t return it unless it’s faulty
Incorrect. Under the distance selling act you can return goods regardless. There are some exceptions like earrings or built to order items, but U.K. law had you covered. If a seller lists different T&C’c it’s irrelevant.

I work for an e-commerce company so I know even if we don’t want to we have to!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Incorrect. Under the distance selling act you can return goods regardless. There are some exceptions like earrings or built to order items, but U.K. law had you covered. If a seller lists different T&C’c it’s irrelevant.

I work for an e-commerce company so I know even if we don’t want to we have to!
What has Mrs. AFB advised on the matter with the watch? That is what is truly important. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.