Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjcharlton71

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I've been thinking about an Apple Watch for a while now. But some questions for you seasoned pro's as I've never owned one.

I'm not a gym bunny, but am trying to increase my daily steps count using the health app on my iPhone. Beside this useful feature what are the top 5 things I'd get out of it.

Also I tend to update my iPhone every 2 years, and will again this September (presuming the refresh cycle is the same).

How long can you expect an Apple watch to last? Specifically the battery. My iPhone doesn't quite get through the day these days. When can I expect the Apple watch to do the same?

Lastly is the aluminium one okay after a few months or does it get scratched a lot? I just work in an office, but couldn't stand a scratched beaten up thing. Do you guys use cases or screen protectors?

Currently using an S5 cellular on EE with my iPhone 11.

I'm a phone hopper, and tended to go between Pixels and iPhones, but after getting the S5 last year it's going to be very difficult to do that now, as I'm so attached to the Watch!

Exercise tracking - just great, even if you're not a gym bunny. I started up an exercise regime again around November, with the obvious COVID break earlier this year, but I'm back on it again with a 106 day streak being slave to the 3 rings. It's pretty much set to annoy me if I've sat on my backside, and I always end up taking the dog out for a few laps of the estate if the rings aren't complete.

Battery - depending on how I'm doing through the day, I'll normally charge it overnight then hit the exercise between 7-8am, give the watch a quick charge while I'm getting showered/changed and on with the rest of the day... Since getting it in October, I've only killed the battery in daily use twice, both times due to phone calls via the watch when I've not had my phone with me.

Apple Pay - yes, it's on the phone, but with the watch you're not gonna need to whip your mask off or hammer a six digit PIN into the phone to activate it... tap the button twice as normal, there it is. Already authenticated because it's attached to you. COVID safe!

Remote control of music/volume with phone in a bag - a simple one, but something I do regularly. Just convenience.

Scratches etc - black watch, so shows a couple of dings here and there (al-you-min-ee-um watch), and the glass has the odd microscratch... I just use it now and don't bother babying it. I did have a screen protector on for about a day, and a TPU bumper, but they just made the watch (for me) a bit unwieldy. I've got thin wrists as well, and went for the 40mm, as the 44 looks like a clown watch on me, and the extra protection of these would have looked and felt more daft.

I've got AppleCare+ on it, but hopefully won't need to use it really.

It's just a damn good bit of kit for me, and I'd wager you'd get good use out of it as well really... even with SWIMBO her SAF (Spousal Acceptance Factor) brought into the equation! (Mrs herself has a Samsung Watch, it's back in the box, it sucks).

Reactions: Apple fanboy

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I love my S5 SBSS with SBML. Fall detection is very important and YES young people fall too. Love taking a call on the watch when my iPhone is not handy. I too try and close the rings every other day as I am on an every other day stationary bike routine. At bedtime, I am usually about 50% and charge over night. I have the Belkin charging unit, which allows me to charge both the watch and phone together.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Currently using an S5 cellular on EE with my iPhone 11.

I'm a phone hopper, and tended to go between Pixels and iPhones, but after getting the S5 last year it's going to be very difficult to do that now, as I'm so attached to the Watch!

Exercise tracking - just great, even if you're not a gym bunny. I started up an exercise regime again around November, with the obvious COVID break earlier this year, but I'm back on it again with a 106 day streak being slave to the 3 rings. It's pretty much set to annoy me if I've sat on my backside, and I always end up taking the dog out for a few laps of the estate if the rings aren't complete.

Battery - depending on how I'm doing through the day, I'll normally charge it overnight then hit the exercise between 7-8am, give the watch a quick charge while I'm getting showered/changed and on with the rest of the day... Since getting it in October, I've only killed the battery in daily use twice, both times due to phone calls via the watch when I've not had my phone with me.

Apple Pay - yes, it's on the phone, but with the watch you're not gonna need to whip your mask off or hammer a six digit PIN into the phone to activate it... tap the button twice as normal, there it is. Already authenticated because it's attached to you. COVID safe!

Remote control of music/volume with phone in a bag - a simple one, but something I do regularly. Just convenience.

Scratches etc - black watch, so shows a couple of dings here and there (al-you-min-ee-um watch), and the glass has the odd microscratch... I just use it now and don't bother babying it. I did have a screen protector on for about a day, and a TPU bumper, but they just made the watch (for me) a bit unwieldy. I've got thin wrists as well, and went for the 40mm, as the 44 looks like a clown watch on me, and the extra protection of these would have looked and felt more daft.

I've got AppleCare+ on it, but hopefully won't need to use it really.

It's just a damn good bit of kit for me, and I'd wager you'd get good use out of it as well really... even with SWIMBO her SAF (Spousal Acceptance Factor) brought into the equation! (Mrs herself has a Samsung Watch, it's back in the box, it sucks).
Thank you for your lengthy response. Very useful review! When you say small wrists, how small (what a weird question I’m asking a stranger on the internet!). I hadn’t thought of getting the smaller one until you mentioned it. I’d always assumed that I’d need the big one.

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
Thank you for your lengthy response. Very useful review! When you say small wrists, how small (what a weird question I’m asking a stranger on the internet!). I hadn’t thought of getting the smaller one until you mentioned it. I’d always assumed that I’d need the big one.
Pic of both watch sizes on my wrist for comparison (smaller one for the Missus).....gives an idea of how they look.

S4 Watches.jpg

As you can, I don't have big wrists!! Much prefer the larger size.

Collywobbles

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
Still need convincing?

Consider this, these figures were achieved by a 60 year young woman on a series 5 just replaced by Apple due to the current (non disclosed and therefore deniable) battery issues these watches are suffering from. The watch issued an "Are you running?" request to which the person "replied", NO! It still started logging. She then managed to get it to cancel and it recorded these figures, which I have condensed down to this. With an average heart rate of 73 beats per minute, she achieved a run of 24 minutes and a distance of 9.33 miles in around 6 minutes. This was achieved through the use of temporal fluidity (non binary) at an average speed of 93.3 miles per hour.. During this time she consumed 716 cal of which she managed to gain back 26 of them by the close of business reducing them to 690. We surmised this was again down to the fluidity of time during the purported 'burn'.

For this well earned achievement, Apple awarded her with a "Running workout record"! Thank you Apple!

1597311717745.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 10.29.23.jpeg
    Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 10.29.23.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 10.04.05.jpeg
    Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 10.04.05.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 10.30.30.jpeg
    Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 10.30.30.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 144

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2018
Hello all.

Was just wondering why I’d want an Apple Watch?

I’m not into fitness, so fitness tracking isn’t important to me.

What features are now “must have“ reasons to own an Apple Watch?

I have an iPhone 11 & 2020 11” iPad Pro, if that means anything.

Thanks in advance.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Kind of a broad question.

I'd suggest spending some time here reading threads and seeing what different sorts of stuff people do with their watches.

Generally speaking, the Apple Watch is an extension of the phone and allows you to not have your phone glued to you all the time. With two floors and a basement, that's kinda nice. I can see who's calling and answer on the watch long enough to go get my phone. I can see a text and do a short reply. I get calendar notifications and reminders I wouldn't hear with my phone upstairs. Easy to check weather. I can unlock my truck and even start it. I can control the music playing and the volume without touching my phone. Lots of other stuff.

I also use mine for heath/fitness, but focused on the other stuff above.

Best thing really is go get a watch from somewhere you can easily return it to and use it for ten days.

Edit - couple things to add....

Charging -- I'm simply in the habit of putting my watch on the charger puck on my dresser when I go to bed and grabbing it when I get up in the morning. Watch lasts all day until I go back to bed. When travelling for work or pleasure, I've had a "charge all my stuff" ditty bag with multiport charger and various short cables - I bought the 0.3m charge cord/puck and put it in that bag.

I've been a habitual watch wearer for decades. Wore times / casio / Citizen for years, wore a Polar watch for a while, switched to a Garmin watch through several models, then switched to Apple.

I'd suggest thinking about all the reasons why you carry your phone around with you and then explore whether those things can be managed with a watch that connects to your phone via bluetooth or your home wifi.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Hello all.

Thanks in advance.

I think that there is no reason that you should get one unless you really want one.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
If only there were a dedicated for him to discussing the merits of this particular device.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I was reluctant to get an AW as I really dislike watches and the AW seemed so bulky and large.

Aesthetically, I do not like the squared look of the AW and thought If I did get a watch, I would prefer a round face.

Another potential issues I thought prior to buying the AW was that I wouldn't of like to charge it daily.

I ended up getting one back in Feb or March of this year for health tracking reasons.

I got the smaller Series 3, that way if I didn't like it, I wouldn't be out so much money. All of my concerns end up being valid, but I got used to it.

Even with the smaller model, the size is annoying and I occasionally hit the watch on things.

The look of the watch isn't ideal for me, but I am not really into the aesthetics of tech, so not that big of a deal.

I do hate having to charge it so often, and I often forget it on the charger and realize when I am not at home.

But it is worth if for the health related things.

Some non-health things I like is being able to make phone calls on it.

Unlike almost every person I know, I do not carry my iPhone around with me all the time when at home. I place it some where, and it pretty much stays there until I leave my home unless I get a phone call. Having my watch to answer calls makes things a little more convenient and quicker. I just wish that the quality of Siri was a little better.

What is important to you?

Last edited:

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
For what I use my Apple Watch for, it is a pleasure that I am not tethered to the iPhone as much anymore. With the phone, I had to put that somewhat bulky item in my pocket and remember that I have it there. As with the watch, it’s always on my wrist and I can make those phone calls. I can respond to text, Walk or run exercise without having that darn phone with me. And if I forget the phone, which I’ve done three times now in the last few years, now I don’t have to worry as much being without it to make those emergency calls. Before I didn’t think I would ever need an Apple Watch but today with my first one I’m kind of glad I got one.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I laughed at the Apple Watch when it first came out... I laughed at the iPad too. I now use my iPad more than any other device in my house... and I have been wearing an Apple Watch for 3 years now (just got an LTE watch yesterday for my 3rd Apple Watch).

I'm a fat, sedentary, balding middle aged man who spends most of his day at a computer. The watch has really helped me get off my feet and go jogging on a regular basis. Health wise it has done a lot of good for me, keeps me from breaching 300+ pounds. The achievements, the monthly goals, the ability to share workouts / exercise with family... worth it.

Why do I like the watch? Sleep stats, heart/health stats, weather information (sunrise/sunset/5 day forecast - all from a single glance at my watch), accurate time --- when I traveled the world for work over the last few years, I saw countless people setting their watches when we got off the plane - my Apple Watch was updated the instant I turned Airplane Mode off on my iPhone (in other countries too), this list could go on and on for pages.

I now have an LTE watch - just opened it up yesterday. Being able to call my wife while I'm jogging - or call 911 if I need to is an amazing feeling. Streaming music / access to a map / ability to do Apple Pay without my phone is such a liberating feeling - I read people explain it, but once I experienced it .... wow.

My watch allows me not to miss super important calls. I'm a manager where I work and ... sometimes super important people need to talk to me yesterday and ... being able not to miss their calls is very important. Yes, I unashamedly admit, I've taken a few calls sitting on the .... in the restroom.

The ability to not use an audio wake-up alarm. I have not had an audio based alarm for 3 years now. The haptic alarm on the watch means I can leave my iPhone on 100% silent, pop in earplugs, and sleep super heavy. This is huge for me.

I've been saved by having a flashlight on my wrist ... when the power has gone out - several times.

I've used this thing to board airplane flights (showing a scannable ticket code), to pay for drinks/food, to bring up notes/reminders/to do lists, set timers, set calendar dates before I forget, etc.

The watch really compliments the phone. I have notifications turned off on most apps - except for the notifications I want (my wife, my boss, family) - so when I'm away from my desk, it'll let me know when the most important people in my life want to reach me - but not bother me for anything else.

I could go on and on. Hope some of this was useful.

Last edited:

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I laughed at the Apple Watch when it first came out... I laughed at the iPad too. I now use my iPad more than any other device in my house... and I have been wearing an Apple Watch for 3 years now (just got an LTE watch yesterday for my 3rd Apple Watch).

I'm a fat, sedentary, balding middle aged man who spends most of his day at a computer. The watch has really helped me get off my feet and go jogging on a regular basis. Health wise it has done a lot of good for me, keeps me from breaching 300+ pounds. The achievements, the monthly goals, the ability to share workouts / exercise with family... worth it.

Why do I like the watch? Sleep stats, heart/health stats, weather information (sunrise/sunset/5 day forecast - all from a single glance at my watch), accurate time --- when I traveled the world for work over the last few years, I saw countless people setting their watches when we got off the plane - my Apple Watch was updated the instant I turned Airplane Mode off on my iPhone (in other countries too), this list could go on and on for pages.

I now have an LTE watch - just opened it up yesterday. Being able to call my wife while I'm jogging - or call 911 if I need to is an amazing feeling. Streaming music / access to a map / ability to do Apple Pay without my phone is such a liberating feeling - I read people explain it, but once I experienced it .... wow.

My watch allows me not to miss super important calls. I'm a manager where I work and ... sometimes super important people need to talk to me yesterday and ... being able not to miss their calls is very important. Yes, I unashamedly admit, I've taken a few calls sitting on the .... in the restroom.

The ability to not use an audio wake-up alarm. I have not had an audio based alarm for 3 years now. The haptic alarm on the watch means I can leave my iPhone on 100% silent, pop in earplugs, and sleep super heavy. This is huge for me.

I've been saved by having a flashlight on my wrist ... when the power has gone out - several times.

I've used this thing to board airplane flights (showing a scannable ticket code), to pay for drinks/food, to bring up notes/reminders/to do lists, set timers, set calendar dates before I forget, etc.

The watch really compliments the phone. I have notifications turned off on most apps - except for the notifications I want (my wife, my boss, family) - so when I'm away from my desk, it'll let me know when the most important people in my life want to reach me - but not bother me for anything else.

I could go on and on. Hope some of this was useful.
Pretty much all of this. Anyone who thinks the only benefit is as a fitness tool is mistaken. It actually took me the 3rd time owning an Apple watch to realize I couldn't go back to a "traditional" non smartwatch. Now there are other smart watches out there, but nothing works with Apple as well as Apple. So for me, yup it's worth it just to be able to respond to texts, make a call, etc just from my wrist.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

sixtydashone

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
Notification management is what initially drove me to a smart watch, with the Samsung Gear S2 being my first. With two personal email accounts and anywhere from 2-4 work mail accounts depending on how many projects I'm managing, pings from Google chat and dozens of Slack channels throughout the day, calendar event notifications throughout the day, incoming texts, 2 factor auth apps, etc., I purchased the smart watch first and foremost as a tool for work. It's somewhat more discreet to casually glance down at my watch during a meeting to determine the priority of an incoming notification. With the watch, I can leave my phone in my pocket all day, or even leave it at my desk and still be "connected". Being able to reply to texts, skip music tracks, unlock my Macbook, etc. are a bonus as well. Now that I'm working from home due to covid-19, I am appreciating the health features even more as I'm cycling every day before work and on my breaks, when the smokey California air allows.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hello all.

Thanks in advance.
So I got my first AW SE yesterday.
So far I’m using it for
Notifications (handier than I thought it would be).
Apple Pay (never bothered to set it up before).
Unlock my Mac (useful for work more than home).
Tracking steps and fitness etc. Not a massive fitness person but more reliable than my iPhone.
I’m sure there will be other things.
Why not give it a try for a week. If it’s not for you, return it.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Hoping it does. I’ve completed 2 rings today. Is that good?
Sure it is a good start. Goal is to close all three. At the bottom of the activity app on the watch, you change the goal for each ring. That is new in Watchos7, previously only the red could be adjusted, while the green was fixed to 30minutes and the blue to 12. The important part is that you become aware about them and keep an eye on them. Each month Apple will give you a challenge and award you badges for your progress.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Sure it is a good start. Goal is to close all three. At the bottom of the activity app on the watch, you change the goal for each ring. That is new in Watchos7, previously only the red could be adjusted, while the green was fixed to 30minutes and the blue to 12. The important part is that you become aware about them and keep an eye on them. Each month Apple will give you a challenge and award you badges for your progress.
Good to know. Still a lot to learn.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So I got my first AW SE yesterday.
So far I’m using it for
Notifications (handier than I thought it would be).
Apple Pay (never bothered to set it up before).
Unlock my Mac (useful for work more than home).
Tracking steps and fitness etc. Not a massive fitness person but more reliable than my iPhone.
I’m sure there will be other things.
Why not give it a try for a week. If it’s not for you, return it.
You are off to a excellent start, AFB. Good for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.