Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fridayxiii

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
Real test will be next week when I’m back at work.
Working in IT, I'm a desk-bound computer jockey, staring at multiple monitors 8+ hours each day. I've found the reminder to stand up & move every hour quite beneficial. I rest my eyes, stretch, and walk around the house or yard for a few minutes. I also like the Breathe reminders. It's not meditation but it does help me focus, empty the detritus from my immediate conscious mind and start fresh on whatever task is at hand.

Reactions: Night Spring

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
I do not just like my series 4 Apple watch, I see it as indispensable. The key feature for me is the EKG, which detects atrial fibrillation. It's worked for me several times, and the recording itself is saved as a PDF on your phone so you can show your doctor. It is FDA approved and is said to be quite accurate.

The series 4 can function as a phone without the iPhone, and I find this invaluable. As well, it does texting and email (with the LTE version). Voice recognition is actually very good -- I've used it under a variety of conditions, such as driving with the windows down, and the error rate is low. Because of this, third-party apps like Evernote function very well.

The watch has Apple Maps on it and can provide turn-by-turn directions. I've tested this before but don't use it regularly, as I prefer to use the iPhone for that.

The main thing is: The watch is an excellent value. It does a lot of things and does them well; it's expensive but not exorbitantly so. And for those that buy the watch via ATT or Verizon, the interest-free monthly payment is relatively modest. Read about the watch and try it out; if you don't see the potential, it is easy to return it.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Working in IT, I'm a desk-bound computer jockey, staring at multiple monitors 8+ hours each day. I've found the reminder to stand up & move every hour quite beneficial. I rest my eyes, stretch, and walk around the house or yard for a few minutes. I also like the Breathe reminders. It's not meditation but it does help me focus, empty the detritus from my immediate conscious mind and start fresh on whatever task is at hand.
Yes 8 hours plus at my desk is my big downfall as well!

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2018
I've been thinking about an Apple Watch for a while now. But some questions for you seasoned pro's as I've never owned one.

I'm not a gym bunny, but am trying to increase my daily steps count using the health app on my iPhone. Beside this useful feature what are the top 5 things I'd get out of it.

Also I tend to update my iPhone every 2 years, and will again this September (presuming the refresh cycle is the same).

How long can you expect an Apple watch to last? Specifically the battery. My iPhone doesn't quite get through the day these days. When can I expect the Apple watch to do the same?

Lastly is the aluminium one okay after a few months or does it get scratched a lot? I just work in an office, but couldn't stand a scratched beaten up thing. Do you guys use cases or screen protectors?

I popped into my “local” Apple Store today.

Tried on watches, and decided on the 40mm aluminium. At the end of it, they never had stock!

Just ordered one, via the Apple Store app.

Did you order, or buy one after all? If you already have one, what do you think of it?

Has it met your expectations?

I ordered mine with the white sport band. I asked if the new stretchy bands were covered under warranty, if they stretched. The answer was no.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I popped into my “local” Apple Store today.

Tried on watches, and decided on the 40mm aluminium. At the end of it, they never had stock!

Just ordered one, via the Apple Store app.

Did you order, or buy one after all? If you already have one, what do you think of it?

Has it met your expectations?

I ordered mine with the white sport band. I asked if the new stretchy bands were covered under warranty, if they stretched. The answer was no.
Yes I bought an Apple Watch SE with black sports loop. The size 9 was a tad too lose, so went to the Apple store and swapped it for a size 8. In green this time which I prefer.
As for meeting my expectations my favourite things are seeing how much my step count has gone up since I got it! The watch obviously monitors it better than the phone.
Apple Pay works really well. Never bothered on the phone as I couldn’t see the point.
Notifications are useful from Outlook, Mail, Teams and iMessage. Didn’t think I’d find it that much more convenient just looking at my wrist.
Used the directions once so far. Very handy. Especially if you are walking in a shady part of town.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2018
Yes I bought an Apple Watch SE with black sports loop. The size 9 was a tad too lose, so went to the Apple store and swapped it for a size 8. In green this time which I prefer.
As for meeting my expectations my favourite things are seeing how much my step count has gone up since I got it! The watch obviously monitors it better than the phone.
Apple Pay works really well. Never bothered on the phone as I couldn’t see the point.
Notifications are useful from Outlook, Mail, Teams and iMessage. Didn’t think I’d find it that much more convenient just looking at my wrist.
Used the directions once so far. Very handy. Especially if you are walking in a shady part of town.

Thanks for letting me know.

Glad you’re enjoying it. Do you think it’s a keeper?

You have two weeks to decide.

Ok, I simply must ask ... Have you showered, or bathed with it on? That must be a very convenient thing to do, in case a call comes in. Or do you reckon the soaps would cause issues?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks for letting me know.

Glad you’re enjoying it. Do you think it’s a keeper?

You have two weeks to decide.

Ok, I simply must ask ... Have you showered, or bathed with it on? That must be a very convenient thing to do, in case a call comes in. Or do you reckon the soaps would cause issues?
I’ve only had it three days so not had my weekly yet! :eek:

Seriously we only have a shower. But I’d not wear it in there. I don’t get that many calls and I’m only in for a few minutes.

But yes a keeper I’d say.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
I have been getting aluminum AW every year. I never get any scratches. I work indoors. But I never got scratches on the hesalite crystal on my moon watch either....

Alanaaaaa

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
I always feel that the main reason I use my watch is for fitness. Notifications are great but you still need to use the phone for most apps.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2018
I cancelled my order.

I don’t think I have much use for an Apple Watch. I would have bought it simply due to the “Apple lure.”

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It is good you came to that realization now, versus after the fact, even though you could have easily returned it.
Another first use for me was using the cross trainer with my music but not having to have my iPhone near by.

And yes I know I've had it since Wednesday and its my first workout! What can I say?

I'll try and do better!

Reactions: fridayxiii

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Another first use for me was using the cross trainer with my music but not having to have my iPhone near by.

And yes I know I've had it since Wednesday and its my first workout! What can I say?

I'll try and do better!
Your first workout is a great start. Make time (30 minutes if you can) during the day that works the best for you and add that time to your calendar and reminders. And if need be, get Mrs. AFB to cheer you on.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
@Apple fanboy Good on ya! As someone who has started, stopped, and resumed more workouts than one can imagine, I can testify that getting started is the hardest part. Getting Day One under your belt is no small feat. Consistency is key, so I hope you'll use the tips that @BasicGreatGuy provided to complete Day Two, then conquer Day Three.
Another thing to try, is creating an accountability thread and hold each other accountable for logging your workouts as planned. Friendly accountability works for those who may struggle.

Reactions: fridayxiii

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Finding a time of day that suits is the hard part. First thing before breakfast and a shower worked well for a while, but another 10 minutes in bed always has more appeal.

I used to do it when I got home from the office, but that's all out the window. Might try lunchtimes as I'm mostly working from home.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Finding a time of day that suits is the hard part. First thing before breakfast and a shower worked well for a while, but another 10 minutes in bed always has more appeal.

I used to do it when I got home from the office, but that's all out the window. Might try lunchtimes as I'm mostly working from home.
Before work works well for me. That way, I know my workout is done and if something unplanned happens during the day, I don’t have to try and rearrange everything else to get the workout in, or rush through a workout and risk injury.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Before work works well for me. That way, I know my workout is done and if something unplanned happens during the day, I don’t have to try and rearrange everything else to get the workout in, or rush through a workout and risk injury.
Yes I can see the thought process. Its just stay in the warm cosy bed with the lovely Mrs AFB or go out to the cold garage to use the cross trainer. My 6:30 brain isn't always as good at making the right decision!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.