Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its "Scary Fast" event, Apple announced new 14-inch MacBook Pro, 16-inch MacBook Pro, and 24-inch iMac models with M3 series chips. It was a very quick and tidy 30-minute event, with no other products or surprises revealed.

Apple-Event-October-2023.jpeg

Below, we have listed some rumored products that were not announced at the event.

Magic Accessories With USB-C

iMac-Magic-Keyboard-and-Mouse.jpg

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reported that Apple's event would likely include updated versions of the Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Trackpad for the Mac with USB-C ports for charging, but the accessories are still equipped with Lightning.

iPads

iPad-mini-6-orange-BG.jpg

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Gurman both ruled out new iPads for the rest of 2023, and this event indeed lacked any iPad announcements.

MacRumors had discovered that an Apple supplier resubmitted a sixth-generation iPad mini battery filing in a Chinese regulatory database last week, but this ultimately did not relate to a seventh-generation iPad mini at the event.

Gurman said Apple does not plan to introduce new iPads until March 2024 or later.

iMac Pro

iMac-Pro-2022-27-and-24-iMac.jpg

While the Intel-based iMac Pro was discontinued in 2021, there have been rumors about an eventual Apple silicon replacement ever since.

Earlier this month, Gurman said Apple still has plans to release a larger pro version of the iMac with a 32-inch display in either late 2024 or in 2025. It's unclear which chips this Mac would be equipped with. On a speculative basis, it could use the M3 Pro and M3 Max chips announced yesterday, or perhaps even an upcoming M3 Ultra chip, but Apple might be on to the M4 series of chips by time the new iMac Pro is announced.

Kuo said the new iMac Pro will feature mini-LED backlighting.

MacBook Air and Mac Mini

MacBook-Air-15-Inch-Feature-Teal.jpg

To be clear, new MacBook Air and Mac mini models were not expected to be announced at this event, but they are worth mentioning given that they will likely use the same M3 or M3 Pro chips that were announced yesterday.

Gurman expects updated 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Air models with the standard M3 chip to be released in the first half of 2024. He also said Apple is already working on a new Mac mini, but he did not provide a launch timeframe.

AirPower

airpower.jpg

Just kidding.

Article Link: Apple's Event Was Missing These 4 Announcements

McKodiak

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
I'd expect Apple to update the Magic Keyboard, Mouse and Trackpad when they update the iMac Pro.

Reactions: johnmarki

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
iPhone X - I have never owned one but now I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max which is way better...

So no iPad 11th gen and iPad mini 7 until sometime next year... I am now thinking of either getting iPad mini 4 [iOS 15.x does not have a time limit for AirDrop on Everyone] or iPad mini 5... I still prefer the classic design for the iPad than what Apple calls an all-screen design...

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
Would Apple even bother to announce their accessories moved to USB-C. It could just show up with the new iMac when they start shipping.

It feels like they will keep lightning on life support for as long as possible.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Good updates for the MBPs, and still think not releasing new iPads at this time of year is a big missed opportunity…

And yea, AirPower… that would have been a scary surprise…

Reactions: Chuckeee

gk_brown

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2020
It does make sense for them to switch at some point, but it's not like a keyboard is going to work any better with USB-C. I have the Lightning version and it still works fine...

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
That last bit got me. 😃

Was really hoping for a USB-C trackpad for my Studio. Might just bite the bullet and get the lighting anyway. It's staying at my desk and only needs to be charged every few weeks; no data transfer. No advantage to USB-C other than being able to get rid of one more cable.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reported that Apple's event would likely include updated versions of the Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Trackpad for the Mac with USB-C ports for charging, but the accessories are still equipped with Lightning.

So he was wrong.

Earlier this month, Gurman said Apple still has plans to release a larger pro version of the iMac with a 32-inch display in either late 2024 or in 2025.
Kuo said the new iMac Pro will feature mini-LED backlighting.

John Ternus made it pretty clear there's no larger iMac coming and that Apple sees the current model as the sole one going forward.

Gurman also said Apple was working on a new 13" MBP for 2024, but it was discontinued. They also both said no new Macs or events this year, but both were wrong.

I'm not seeing how their track record is any better than randos spitballing by throwing darts at a wall.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
I think that Apple would have been better off releasing this video as a “surprise” rather than announcing an “event”. “Events” raise the expectations to unrealistic levels. If this would have been released in the middle of the day as a surprise with no announcement before hand I believe there would be more excitement about the upgrades.

The reason I point this out is that it feels like something was missing from the “event”, like there was some announcement they had planned that didn’t happen. I’m probably wrong, but that’s how it felt.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Updated Magic accessories with USB-C? In this economy??? 🤡

Jokes aside, it's a little weird that Apple has stuck with the "turn the mouse upside down to charge it" design for a full EIGHT years now, and it's not even a particularly comfortable mouse to use for long periods of time either. You can get cheap Bluetooth mice off of Amazon that charge in a more reasonable way, use USB-C and are actually comfortable to hold.

I personally suspect that Apple genuinely just does not care about accessories like keyboard and mice. Which I suppose would make sense since it seems like laptops are the Macs that sell the most, and those already come with their own built-in keyboard and trackpad.

(also, consider how underwhelming the 2023 iMac is. 256 GB storage / 8 GB of RAM to start, in 2023? Apple really is unconcerned about desktops.)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Would Apple even bother to announce their accessories moved to USB-C. It could just show up with the new iMac when they start shipping.

It feels like they will keep lightning on life support for as long as possible.

Just work Lightning inventory down and USB-C takes over in replacement. No need for a big show, video or even press release. It's only a port. Whoever unboxes the last Lightning keyboard will use Lightning to charge it. The very next buyer will use USB-C. Neither will notice or care unless they are very deeply following this topic and it is a big deal to them. If it IS a big deal to that last Lightning buyer, he can exchange it for a USB-C version.

While I'm all for "one cable to rule them all" myself, this is- IMO- a mountain out of a molehill topic... much like the dreaded lint magnet/wobbly/broken tongue issues if new iPhones go USB-C. Those seemingly thousands of poor souls must be trapped under all that lint because I haven't seen a word from them since the launch. ;)

I doubt most people would care or even notice unless someone very passionate about the topic made it seem like a big deal.

Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
You'd think - but the tech specs literally say there's a USB to Lightning cable in the box.

I think that Apple would have been better off releasing this video as a “surprise” rather than announcing an “event”.
Launching the M3, M3 Pro and M3 Max chips was actually quite a big deal.

SRQrws

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2020
The only "non-announcement" that surprised me was the lack of new USB-C accessories. Seems long overdue and I'd like to get rid of the USB C-to-Lightning cable dangling out of my Studio Ultra. Otherwise, despite many negative comments in other threads, I enjoyed the presentation last night. I thought 30 minutes was perfect and it eschewed much of the "fluff" in other presentations. Also really enjoyed the shots of the Apple campus at night. It must be an amazing work environment.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
John Ternus made it pretty clear there's no larger iMac coming and that Apple sees the current model as the sole one going forward.

I think Apple now sees the iMac as the “family” computer. It’s the thing people buy and either put in their kids room or in a living room that everyone can use. With beefier Mac Minis people who need something more than a basic machine are better off buying a mini and a separate monitor. Like others, I think Apple could sell a ton of Apple brand 32 inch monitors that come in at $500-$600 that people could pair with a Mac Mini or Studio. That’s a much better option than a 32 inch iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.