Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H_D

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
If you think about it, it's pretty amazing to have come up with all three standard iterations of the M3 so soon after the iPhone-variant of the chip. This shows the potential for the route Apple has taken and the fruits of this tighter integration for the brand. It's super okay that Studio will come later, and iMac were always going to come out in Early-Mid-24. It is interesting to see that Apple is brutally slow when it comes to other Updates to the machines except the M3-SpecBump, it will be interesting to see if they are going to be a bit more bold when it comes to the iPads, which really need a shot in the arm, being overpowered and underpowered at the same time.

iSteveo

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023
I am happy for those that need a new Macbook Pro. However, I am disappointed that they did not release new iPad Pros Yet. I personally think it would be nice to get a M3 Max chip in the next iPad. I am to the point that I am ready for a new iPad. However, I’m not upgrading my iPad until the next update. It is odd that Apple waited till 5 PM to start the event. I was thinking, the event was going to be more gaming related. It still seems odd to me that Apple updated the Macbook Pros in 9 months.

Fandroid killer

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2017

At its "Scary Fast" event, Apple announced new 14-inch MacBook Pro, 16-inch MacBook Pro, and 24-inch iMac models with M3 series chips. It was a very quick and tidy 30-minute event, with no other products or surprises revealed.

Apple-Event-October-2023.jpeg

Below, we have listed some rumored products that were not announced at the event.

Magic Accessories With USB-C

iMac-Magic-Keyboard-and-Mouse.jpg

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reported that Apple's event would likely include updated versions of the Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Trackpad for the Mac with USB-C ports for charging, but the accessories are still equipped with Lightning.

iPads

iPad-mini-6-orange-BG.jpg

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Gurman both ruled out new iPads for the rest of 2023, and this event indeed lacked any iPad announcements.

MacRumors had discovered that an Apple supplier resubmitted a sixth-generation iPad mini battery filing in a Chinese regulatory database last week, but this ultimately did not relate to a seventh-generation iPad mini at the event.

Gurman said Apple does not plan to introduce new iPads until March 2024 or later.

iMac Pro

iMac-Pro-2022-27-and-24-iMac.jpg

While the Intel-based iMac Pro was discontinued in 2021, there have been rumors about an eventual Apple silicon replacement ever since.

Earlier this month, Gurman said Apple still has plans to release a larger pro version of the iMac with a 32-inch display in either late 2024 or in 2025. It's unclear which chips this Mac would be equipped with. On a speculative basis, it could use the M3 Pro and M3 Max chips announced yesterday, or perhaps even an upcoming M3 Ultra chip, but Apple might be on to the M4 series of chips by time the new iMac Pro is announced.

Kuo said the new iMac Pro will feature mini-LED backlighting.

MacBook Air and Mac Mini

MacBook-Air-15-Inch-Feature-Teal.jpg

To be clear, new MacBook Air and Mac mini models were not expected to be announced at this event, but they are worth mentioning given that they will likely use the same M3 or M3 Pro chips that were announced yesterday.

Gurman expects updated 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Air models with the standard M3 chip to be released in the first half of 2024. He also said Apple is already working on a new Mac mini, but he did not provide a launch timeframe.

AirPower

airpower.jpg

Just kidding.

Article Link: Apple's Event Was Missing These 4 Announcements
"Downgrading" Is a new apple stamped feature part of the Apple inNOvation initiative

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I think that Apple would have been better off releasing this video as a “surprise” rather than announcing an “event”. “Events” raise the expectations to unrealistic levels. If this would have been released in the middle of the day as a surprise with no announcement before hand I believe there would be more excitement about the upgrades.

The reason I point this out is that it feels like something was missing from the “event”, like there was some announcement they had planned that didn’t happen. I’m probably wrong, but that’s how it felt.

You are right. And wrong. Yep, judging by historical standards this left a lot of the puff out, something 'missing.' But I give credit to Apple for breaking out of the mold, keeping us on our toes, and injecting a 'no telling what they will do next' feeling that's been missing for a long time. So yeah, resetting expectations can be a good thing, especially if it means more small events spread out over the year.

I also think its apple really showing how useless the rumor mill is. a whole event. 3 new chips. 3 new computers. and not one leak. pretty darn impressive.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Was not expecting to see a new MacBook Air. Surprised with no USB C on the Magic keyboard and mouse

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I still want a 27" or larger iMac because I don't like the clutter of a Mini sitting on the desktop with a Studio Display which is just a reworked iMac body without the guts.

• Angry
Reactions: Chuckeee

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Yeah I didn’t see this coming. Except for the iMac I feel like none of this was entirely necessary. And some things that seemed a bit more urgent like usb-c accessories were missing. Weird event all around.

And I didn’t miss anything, these new Macs do not support ray tracing, correct?

iSteveo

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023
I wonder if they released them this soon because they see something about to happen in the near future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.