Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
They do require USB-C on mices and keyboards. But Apple is only required to add a USB-C port if they release a new version of these products after December 2024. They still have a lot of time
Honestly, you'd be forgiven for thinking that USB-C was some abomination dreamed up by Apple-hating EU bureaucrats who smelled of elderberries, rather than a technology that Apple themselves helped to develop and promote...

Why was Lightning ever used in Mac accessories that launched after Apple had adopted USB-C for the 12" MacBook?

Why wasn't USB-C rolled out over the whole iDevice range the moment iPads started to outgrow the bandwidth of Lightning?

Why does Apple have to be dragged kicking and screaming by the EU into finishing the USB-C rollout that they started - when for the rest of the industry the EU mandate is simply pushing at an open door?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
EU regulations do require USB-C on mices and keyboards. But Apple is only required to add a USB-C port if they release a new version of these products after December 2024. They still have a lot of time

And if there was a LOT of Lightning inventory to work down- which I doubt- Apple could comply by selling USB-C accessories in the EU while only Lightning for the rest of the world... much like there ARE still SIM-card iPhones being sold in the world even if they are not for sale in the USA. The EU will also have an open iDevice App Store as opposed to the rest of the world who must all buy from Apple and deal with Apple making all decisions about what you can buy for you. Regional accommodations are no big deal if the company is motivated to comply.

I actually think this is simple inventory management and as each accessory with Lightning thins down to "need to make more" levels to not lose a sale, they will quietly become USB-C versions. No need for a big show, no need for even a press release: one guy will purchase the last Lightning keyboard and the very next guy will purchase the first USB-C keyboard.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
I guess I’ll wait for the updated mini. I wish Apple would come down on the price of the Studio Display or upgrade it. I’d love to pair a mini with an Apple monitor but their price is just too high, especially if you want a height adjustable monitor.

Reactions: class77

GadgetVirtuoso

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2018
Fort Worth, YX
I've got the M2 Air, and I think I'm good until they start supporting dual monitors on the Air (natively). And since the M3 doesn't support dual monitors (unless you upgrade to the pro or max), I don't see the M3 Air supporting dual monitors... Seems so simple. Also, they can keep the Space Black. Starlight is 💯💯
Probably not going to happen, that's a very clear product distinction. If you need dual-monitors then you need a pro computer.

• Haha
Reactions: freedomlinux

BorisDG

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Bulgaria, EU
The delay is good. I'm hoping for let's say

iPad Mini 7 with A17 Pro (binned) or M2
iPad Air 6 with M3. I don't want Air with M2
iPad Pro with M3/Pro and all the rest Pro goodies like Pro motion.

All supporting RT and modern features.

Will be huge win.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I thought there were rumors that this event would have an emphasis on games? I don't remember anything about any games during this event at all.

Was this event worth having at all? My biggest takeaway is how complete Apple indifference about desktops has become - it certainly doesn't care about the iMac or its "Magic" Accessories. Which is the opposite of caring about games.

Reactions: bumblebritches5

BorisDG

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Bulgaria, EU
No, it just proves that the least important bit of equipment in a video production like this is the camera. Lights and your audio gear matter more. Notice that while they used the iPhone for video, they were NOT using it to capture audio.
Yeah same thing can be achieved even with 13 Pro.

God of Biscuits

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
That last bit got me. 😃

Was really hoping for a USB-C trackpad for my Studio. Might just bite the bullet and get the lighting anyway. It's staying at my desk and only needs to be charged every few weeks; no data transfer. No advantage to USB-C other than being able to get rid of one more cable.

Just to throw something away that works perfectly well, where you’d be also be throwing away a keyboard or trackpad that also works perfectly well just to switch to a connector which you’re doing just to throw a cable away?

God of Biscuits

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
No, it just proves that the least important bit of equipment in a video production like this is the camera. Lights and your audio gear matter more. Notice that while they used the iPhone for video, they were NOT using it to capture audio.

Yeah, that’s not true. It’s a big deal.

Sarafay

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2019
Yes, and how you move the camera. Gimbals and cranes. All this can be very expensive. And separates amateurs from pros.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
I think Apple now sees the iMac as the “family” computer. It’s the thing people buy and either put in their kids room or in a living room that everyone can use. With beefier Mac Minis people who need something more than a basic machine are better off buying a mini and a separate monitor. Like others, I think Apple could sell a ton of Apple brand 32 inch monitors that come in at $500-$600 that people could pair with a Mac Mini or Studio. That’s a much better option than a 32 inch iMac.

Exactly this. I don’t think Apple quite knew where to go with the iMac in the mid to late 2010s but with the launch in the new iMac in 2021 this is now firmly a consumer device for the home. Going back to its roots really.

Any prosumer or professional use is for the Mac mini, Studio or Pro to cover, attached to a monitor.

That being said a larger screen size would still be a nice option. And I’m surprised we didn’t see a black version at the ‘scary’ event last night.

ChelseaDrew

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2023
Why not add Powerbook G5?
Oh geez. lol. I rememberall the threads and post on this site back in the day.. I can't get into my original account but I used to post a lot from my Aluminum PowerBook G4 15" and everyone wishing, waiting and wanting the G5 powerbook.... Good times then. And I miss my G4 PowerBook. Still waiting for that announcement to be honest. :)

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
The title confused me a bit, when I saw "Missing Announcements" I thought, oh cool, new products, they didn't announce, as in the announcement was missing.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
I reckon there’s a decent chance the Air and Mini will never get the M3 and will wait on M4 on the revised 3nm production node. Same as the non pro iPhone quite possibly skipping A17 entirely.

Apple have made the best out of a tricky process node and will be keen to be back at full volumes on the refreshed node. M4 launching first in the Airs, then scaled up to other variants as in previous years.

• Wow
Reactions: Chuckeee

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Only the two main prognosticators can be trusted. All other rumors are wishful thinking...

Which two?!

Kumo & German keep getting things wrong, the latter especially has egg on his face over the last month. (Using there what some have reported are their auto-corrected names.)

Many of their predictions are incredibly vague or non-specific, or open-ended. They include so many caveats as to make them worthless. The words “may” or “could” typify their prognostications — along with long, long time frames.

The collective MR community does a much better job!

Reactions: Chuckeee

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I would have liked to see MacBook Airs get the plain Jane M3, and then MacBook Pros only get the Pro and Max versions.

For iMacs, get all three, plus the brighter screen as well. Like others, I'd love to see it lose the chin, and maybe get thicker to be able to put the ethernet port in it rather than the power cord.

For both, maybe add an M.2 slot for *additional* storage for those who want it (not as a replacement for the storage on the SoC). But I'm sure Apple won't do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.