Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
platypus63 said:
I went out exploring the town where my university is located two days ago, and snapped this picture of the abandoned steel factory. It's a big metal part of the factory with all the furnaces. Looks like a pretty sinister place too.

(pic of steel factory)

great pic. i like it very much. great lights and shadows.

i just have the feeling it's leaning a little bit to the right or is my monitor tilted?;)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
FritzTheWonderM said:
Clix Pix, um, nice rack. :)

LOL! Took me a minute there.... :D

This guy has the most amazing audio setup -- the items in my photos are only a small part of the entire thing. On the floor he has these big boxes -- amplifiers? --and about four enormous speakers. He's a real audiophile and puts a lot of energy into his setup. He's always fussing with some new part and adding or subtracting from the gear. He plugs his iPod into it and just enjoys....

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
jared_kipe said:
Not if they are really really big, those kind of speakers never really make good base, so there's no reason to make them too big.

I don't have the foggiest idea of what kind of speakers they are and don't know what electro-static ones are. All I can tell you is that they're quite large and stand about 4 feet high. Obviously he wouldn't be able to turn them up too high because this is in an office building and during the day could be disturbing to other occupants of the building.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Abstract said:
@Platypus16: Nice photo, man!

He's a real audiophile who listens to music using his iPod? Hope those aren't mp3s he's using.... :eek:

Guess I should have clarified that! Most of the time he listens to music with the regular CD player that is part of all of those bits and bobs in there, but sometimes he will just plug his iPod and listen to that if a particular CD isn't available in the office (left at home) but he has it on the iPod. Normally he listens to the iPod when he's traveling or away from home. Apple can thank me for that -- I was the one who convinced him that he needed to get an iPod before one of his trips to Europe. Showed him mine, let him listen to it, assured him that he'd love being able to have his music with him on the plane... and he did indeed go out and buy a 60 GB one. When he came back from the trip he commented on how much nicer it made the whole usually lengthy and tedious flying experience.

Now he's waiting for Apple to hurry up and bring out the new intel version of the 17" MacBook Pro. He's been wanting a 17" for quite a while but decided not to go with the PB version once the intel 15" MBPs started shipping. Trouble is Apple is certainly taking its sweet time about releasing those 17" MBPs!

FritzTheWonderM

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2003
Planet 10
I went with Metal, (it's a drum carder for wool).

Attachments

• Image_0043.JPG
    Image_0043.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 153

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
platypus63 said:
I went out exploring the town where my university is located two days ago, and snapped this picture of the abandoned steel factory. It's a big metal part of the factory with all the furnaces. Looks like a pretty sinister place too.

dude, thats awesome. Where is it?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
This is the first photo I took with my Holga 120 CFN.
I didn't intend on it being a double exposure but I quite like it.
It's a shame my scanner adds a fair amount of noise to images.

I rarely look through viewfinders of cameras, I prefer to leave it to chance.

Metal:
holgadx1.jpg

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Crossing the Murray

I actually have three shots that I think are good candidates, of very different places. All three are in the "Metal" group (haven't had a chance to take the shot I want for "Insanity" yet; it'll happen later this week). I'm not too clear if there's a limit on how many shots a given person can enter; if I'm limited to one, I'll pick "Crossing the Murray" (the first one attached to this post).

The first one:

This is a photo of the bridge that crosses the Murray River at Swan Hill, Victoria, Australia. It's a very old bridge, dating back to the early 20th century (maybe earlier?) The part in the middle is actually designed to allow paddle steamers through; it can be raised to let them through, or lowered once they've passed to let the traffic through. Note the underside of the bridge, where you can see part of the metal supports have corroded from the river water (although I don't think they're structurally all that important.)

The second shot:

is of an old railway turntable, also taken in Swan Hill. I believe that it's still in use -- certainly, it's in far too good condition to not be -- although I've never witnessed this myself. The far end (the end from which the shot was taken) is overgrown with weeds and grasses; it was quite a trial to get down the slope and kneel in the weeds to get the shot through the grasses you can see at the bottom of the picture. All sorts of rather spikey seeds were in the area, and believe me, my legs knew about them. :eek:

Third and final shot is from my home city of Melbourne:

The bridge is the old Sandridge rail bridge, long since disused for rail purposes, and the rails pulled up. It has since been turned (at least in part) into a pedestrian walkway; I gather that there's more that the Powers That Be intend to do with it, but I'm not too sure what. I actually took that shot without using the tripod -- the joys of resting the camera on a handy fence nearby. :cool:

Hope you all enjoy them; there's some really good shots up already, so I doubt I'm a serious contender, but hey -- hardly the point, right? :D

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Clix Pix said:
These are very nice, sjl! I especially like the first one and the night-shot one of Melbourne....
Thanks. It's funny -- the first one is now irritating the heck out of me, because I've noticed that the uprights aren't parallel to each other, and for some reason that's offending me (it's more easily noticeable if you look at the large sized image.) Still, that's what happens when you tilt the camera up a little bit to get the framing you want. Anybody want to loan out a TS-E lens for a few weeks? :D

The night shot is nice; the only thing that really annoys me in it is the Flinders Street Station clock tower (the really brightly lit yellow tower near the top right corner). It would be nice if it wasn't so grossly (in my opinion) over-exposed; trouble is, it's so brightly lit, getting a balance between it and the bridge is near impossible. Maybe I should look into getting a filter that would cut that down a bit ... I'm guessing a polariser might do the trick, or failing that, I seem to recall there are graduated neutral filters out there. Too bad the only polariser I have is a 58mm diameter, and it doesn't fit any of the lenses I usually use these days.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
how many pics are we actually allowed to submit? i thought that was limited to one? is it different this time because we have two topics?

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
andiwm2003 said:
how many pics are we actually allowed to submit? i thought that was limited to one? is it different this time because we have two topics?

Yeah, i thought the rules laid out were clear enough ... apparently some of us are not reading/following them. Or maybe we've completely misunderstood them?

I can't remember my picture setting on my photo; i'll have to post those later. I did some RAW processing on the front end ... and softened it up a bit with a composite layer. Slightly cropped and a rotated ... just slightly. :)

peace | neut

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
andiwm2003 said:

Oops!:eek: :eek:

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
There's naught too insane out here in pittoresque Western Massachusetts, so this picture is of metal. This picture is from the Athol Historical Society, on April 11th. The smaller one in the front is a salesman's model of the larger unit in the back.
My camera of choice is a Casio Exilim p550.

9c09.jpg

Also, a request from someone working with a 12" Powerbook screen: can we not quote large pictures in comments?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
andiwm2003 said:

I'm not sure we ever said it was limited to a single picture. I don't think we'd want 10 versions of the same subject with very slightly different lighting - but I think entering multiple subjects is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.