Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
July's assignment is Yellow. The idea is that members will go out and try to find their own way of interpreting the monthly theme thus improving their photographic eye. Posting is open to all MR members, and encouraged.

You must have taken the picture yourself between 8 and 31 July 2006. If you took a picture that fits the assignment but was taken earlier, then post it in the Gallery: Yellow thread instead (unlikely, but possible!)

Anyone can enter from those with (D)SLRs from P&S to cameraphones although they should be pictures that you think are good rather than just snapshots. The goal is not to 'win' but to share the enjoyment of taking pictures and learn from others.

Some basic rules on commenting (basically be nice!) are listed. Changes to the rules should be discussed there just as remarks about the topic(s) chosen should be kept in the poll thread. Let's keep this thread just pictures and comments on them if possible

Post your pictures in this thread by the end of July with a title and we'll start commenting (make sure you title your comments referencing the pic you are commenting on)

in portugal

Attachments

• yellow-wall-and-doorway.jpg
    yellow-wall-and-doorway.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 348

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
I call it "The Yellow Flower"

yellow_flower.jpg

Taken with a 350D.

Exif data:
Shutter 1/50
Aperture f 5.6
Focal length 49mm
ISO 100

B

BigMäc

Lake of Zürich

attachment.php

Camera: Canon EOS 30D
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 50 mm
Shutter/Aperture: 1/125 @ f5.6
Lens: EF 50 mm f1.8 II

Attachments

• IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 1,185

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
Soggy Pale Yellow

Really like the yellow pictures thus far, but there should be more, what's the hold up?

Last month would have been better for me, but here is one from last night, a few more from last night are here...I think...just testing the web thing with Aperture.

http://homepage.mac.com/jbg007/Yellow Album/index.html

Canon 20D
135 F2.0 L with 12 ET and 500D
F5.0
1/800
ISO 400

Attachments

• s_yellow_9203.jpg
    s_yellow_9203.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 262

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Can a color be conveyed in B/W?

Yellow.jpg

The subject was my 14-yr-old son's idea. I played around with it in Aperture, but all the color versions were so garish, they looked more like digital art than a photograph. Then I got intrigued with the idea that a color perhaps could be conveyed in black and white. It's still over-processed, what I really wanted was a clean B and W, with high contrast that showed the filiments in the bulb, but enough glow/spreading light to give a strong association to yellow.

Canon 350D
Sigma 18-125 3.5-5.6
Shutter/Aperture 1/4 @ f36
Focal length 87 mm
ISO 800

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
annk said:

The subject was my 14-yr-old son's idea. I played around with it in Aperture, but all the color versions were so garish, they looked more like digital art than a photograph. Then I got intrigued with the idea that a color perhaps could be conveyed in black and white. It's still over-processed, what I really wanted was a clean B and W, with high contrast that showed the filiments in the bulb, but enough glow/spreading light to give a strong association to yellow.

Canon 350D
Sigma 18-125 3.5-5.6
Shutter/Aperture 1/4 @ f36
Focal length 87 mm
ISO 800

very interesting idea. i thought about doing a shot at a parking lot at night where they have the energy saving yellow flood lights. it didn't occur to me that a color can be represented in black and white as well. cool idea!

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
annk said:
It's still over-processed, what I really wanted was a clean B and W, with high contrast that showed the filiments in the bulb, but enough glow/spreading light to give a strong association to yellow.

being a light bulb, you also get the idea that it's giving off a yellow'ish light.. or could be. white, or yellow.... so despite being more B&W, we're still thinking 'yellow'... cool :)

I'm struggling to get any yellow pics.. I get up when it's dark, go to work, and get home when it's dark.

This morning I tried to get a photo (in the dark) of the concrete factory which is about 1km back from my house. It's a big towering place, with yellow lights all over it, looks pretty cool. Infortunately with the wind, and lack of remote shutter I couldn't get the camera still enough for the shot, I didn't even attempt to snap one off...

I guess I'm looking out for something thats NOT a flower. haha

B

BigMäc

Little yellow left

attachment.php

Camera: Canon EOS 30D
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 50 mm
Shutter/Aperture: 1/160 @ f4
Lens: EF 50 mm f1.8 II

Attachments

• IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 1,010

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
annk said:
It's still over-processed, what I really wanted was a clean B and W, with high contrast that showed the filiments in the bulb, but enough glow/spreading light to give a strong association to yellow.

i would try to improve it at the object level. that means, put the bulb on a dimmer and see if you get a light intensity that you camera can handle. then you might be able to see the glowing spiral itself.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
bigmac, are you in love with your 50mm lens? :)

I have one, and havent had a chance to really use it yet... i could learn a thing or two from you...

nice pic btw.

James

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
andiwm2003 said:
i would try to improve it at the object level. that means, put the bulb on a dimmer and see if you get a light intensity that you camera can handle. then you might be able to see the glowing spiral itself.

Oooh, good idea. I won't have time this week to try it, but maybe at the weekend next week. Thanks for the idea!

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
farmbus.jpg

This was taken with a Canon EOS 30 Pro Body with a 28-35 USM (yes thats a 35mm body because some of us still prefer oldskool), 200 Speed Fuji film, scanned in on a PIE PrintFilm 1800 35mm Scanner... then a little P-Shop here and there and voila....

Kevin

DBAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
Still don't know whether the colours are over the top in this one... I edited this from a black and white photo in photoshop... Taken with a cheap point and shoot on Kolios Beach, Skiathos, Greece. :)

yellow5np.jpg

EDIT: Hopefully im allowed 2 submissions... Heres my second, from the same area just a bit to the right...

yellow27ni.jpg

Ok one last one before im called obsessive... :p

yellow37ld.jpg

BTW, Can anyone give me C+C on these?

Without C+C I can't improve...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.