Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
:)
Aperture: f5.6
Focal Length: 55mm (35mm = 82mm)
ISO400
Nikon D50
75-300mm lens
yellow.jpg

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
Fuji Point and Shoot 3.2mp
Outside my house in Trenton, FL

Attachments

• DSCF0014_small.jpg
    DSCF0014_small.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 130

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
SpAtZ said:
Are you going to put a gallery up with your photos from your trip?

Yes, and hopefully "sooner" rather than later.

My free time has been a bit lacking, and much of what I've had over the past two weeks since we got back got sucked up by a change in the Service Provider for my domain. In the meantime, with over FOUR THOUSAND :eek: new images from this trip to sort through, I'm also stumbling my way through creating a good, solid workflow; I've just gotten a Pantone HUEY to get set up to get the color spaces aspect of things sorted out.

So its becoming a typical Home Owners Project of: "while I'm doing A, I may as well also do B, C, D, E, ..." and I don't want to mess anything up too badly. I have all of my originals (30GB worth) still on my digital wallet, so its not that I'm going to lose anything...yet!

-hh

PS: I'll also move this over to the assignment gallery when I get the EXIF data.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
My Photo entry:
attachment.php

Taken with a Canon Powershot SD400
Shutter speed i believe is 1/500

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 550

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
Hope you don't mind me posting twice. Same flower as my first. This is my first try with b&w background with color foreground. Did I do okay for my first try? It was actually pretty easy to do.

Attachments

• flower_small.jpg
    flower_small.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 136

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
bowens said:
Hope you don't mind me posting twice. Same flower as my first. This is my first try with b&w background with color foreground. Did I do okay for my first try? It was actually pretty easy to do.
How do you do that? i used an option on my camera to take my picture. the option makes it so that the camera only picks up one (or a range) of wavelengths of light, but i can only do one color at a time. i didnt use a photo-editing program. How did you do yours? in Photoshop?

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
Xander562 said:
How do you do that? i used an option on my camera to take my picture. the option makes it so that the camera only picks up one (or a range) of wavelengths of light, but i can only do one color at a time. i didnt use a photo-editing program. How did you do yours? in Photoshop?

Using photoshop or Gimp (I used Gimp) create a duplicate layer of your picture, make the duplicate black and white, and then erase the parts of the b&w photo that you want to be color. Pretty simple actually. I thought there would be a lot more to it.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Thanks for all the comments about my copenhagen bus. Sorry I haven't replied sooner but I have been on a long weekend break and therefore without my beloved ibook:)
Yeah it is a panning shot. You should select a shutter speed between 1/15s and 1/60s and as dr maybe says keep your point of focus tracking the moving object. Here is the exif if anyone is interested:

ISO 100
f/18
1/20s
50mm

Cheers

bep207

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2006
Yellow Bow

Taken with a Nikon D50, 50mm 1.8, Apple Aperture for color correction. Photoshop CS2 for selective coloring

Attachments

• color_1.jpg
    color_1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 148

bep207

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2006
bowens said:
Using photoshop or Gimp (I used Gimp) create a duplicate layer of your picture, make the duplicate black and white, and then erase the parts of the b&w photo that you want to be color. Pretty simple actually. I thought there would be a lot more to it.

another good way to do it is to use Photoshop (or Gimp i assume). You make your photo black and white by de-saturating it. Then you use the history brush and paint over the area you want to revert back to the original. Fairly easy and not too time consuming.
Another more professional way to do it is to use masks. I am not sure how to do this and if anyone else knows how to, i would be interested in learning.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I thought the intent of this project was to shoot something yellow, not to play games in PS or other editing programs with post-processing? When I saw the first couple of these black-and-whites-with-a-shot-of-color I thought, "gee, how neat!" but now it is getting a bit repetitious and tiresome..... But this trend, too, will pass...

I'll admit, I'm pretty much of a purist and a photojournalist at heart, preferring to shoot my photographs "straight" and present them with minimal post-processing, showing the world as it is rather than tricked-out with excessive post-processing. When someone gets into extreme manipulation of an image in post-processing, it (IMHO) no longer is a photograph, it has become something else, a different art form. Not to say that this is good or bad, it's just that it is different from photography. I have seen some wonderful examples of digital art or digital art photography, but to me this is not the same as photography per se.

I love the yellow bus shot and I love Gekko's shot of the yellow socks sharply contrasted against the blue sky.

I have an idea for my "yellow" shot but just haven't gotten out there yet to do anything with it.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
I have to agree... the assignment 'yellow' in my mind, is to shoot something that is actually obviously yellow. (what you see with your eye is yellow). Or a subject that's not normally yellow, but due to it's surroundings or nature, it's become yellow at that point in time (for example)..

hrmmmm

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Taken a few days ago in front of an historic hotel in Øye, Norway. Purists who don't like post-processing in this thread, look the other way - - I've sharpened and toned down the saturation. I may even have used a few other adjustments in iPhoto, I didn't make a note of them as I went along.

It was a shame there was a woman standing such that I couldn't crop her out without sacrificing some balance, but the car was so nice, has such an exclusive license plate number (here, anyway) and fit the "yellow" billing. If I had more PS expertise, I would just fill out the background with the leaves.

1/500
f 11.0
ISO 400
109 mm

YellowII160.jpg

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
it happened in my bathtub.....

Sony A100
Minolta Maxxum 50mm F/1.7 (crossed X for the older people here;) )
1/125
Flash

Attachments

• yellow duck.jpg
    yellow duck.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 148

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Cybix said:
I have to agree... the assignment 'yellow' in my mind, is to shoot something that is actually obviously yellow. (what you see with your eye is yellow). Or a subject that's not normally yellow, but due to it's surroundings or nature, it's become yellow at that point in time (for example)..

hrmmmm

One of the interesting aspects of these assignments, is the fact that people do have different interpretations. I hope people keep on interpreting the theme in different ways and surprising us all....;)

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Been reading these threads for a while, and there's been some great shots. I thought I'd chance my first entry - with a Canon 350D on holiday in Croatia...

IMG_3243.jpg

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
My first submission :)

Probably not going to win any contests, but I had fun taking it..

yellow.jpg

Lomography colorsplash (yellow flash), long exposure, 35mm Agfa 200 film. Taken on 14th July, processed a couple of days after.

I have better ones but I'm between scanners at the moment ;)

:edit: oops.. dont know if I'm allowed to enter, as its technically not digital... well it is now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.