Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
DBAlex said:
Still don't know whether the colours are over the top in this one... I edited this from a black and white photo in photoshop... Taken with a cheap point and shoot on Kolios Beach, Skiathos, Greece. :)

BTW, Can anyone give me C+C on these?

Without C+C I can't improve...

I especially like the last one in terms of the colorized effect and the composition. However, I think that the idea for this assignment is that we actually photograph something that we see which IS the color yellow, not create it in PS or some other program. Also, only one entry is allowed....

DBAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
I especially like the last one in terms of the colorized effect and the composition. However, I think that the idea for this assignment is that we actually photograph something that we see which IS the color yellow, not create it in PS or some other program. Also, only one entry is allowed....

Thanks, Ill take that on board... Maybe tommorrow ill take some pictures of yellow flowers in out garden, dunno if the macro mode on my camera is up to much though... I have an old Praktica 35mm SLR camera my dad gave me with about 3 lenses including a fisheye a telephoto and some 3x zoom kit (iirc) only problem is getting the pictures onto the computer, i was thinking of trying one of those film to cd services, although usually the quality is horrendous...

Anyone tried those services?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Clix Pix said:
However, I think that the idea for this assignment is that we actually photograph something that we see which IS the color yellow, not create it in PS or some other program. Also, only one entry is allowed....

I think that we finally came to the conclusion that you could have several entries but they should be of entirely different subjects. So you could shoot a yellow flower in week one and a yellow boat in week 3 and submit both.

Interesting use of filters though... I don't think I'd have used yellow though since I don't think it adds much to them. Perhaps a warmer sunset feel?

You might be better asking the Film to CD question out in the main forums as its own thread to get better responses.

B

BigMäc

Cybix said:
bigmac, are you in love with your 50mm lens? :)

I have one, and havent had a chance to really use it yet... i could learn a thing or two from you...

nice pic btw.

James

Thanks. Yes, I really like the image quality of that lens. And because
comparable zoom lenses are really expensive, feet-zooming will have
to suffice for now.

DBAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
I tried my own light picture like annk!

I think it worked out quite well, i didnt really have the room to fit the camera into the lampshade to get the same effect as annk but something similar...

light7uf.jpg

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
DBAlex said:
I tried my own light picture like annk!

I think it worked out quite well, i didnt really have the room to fit the camera into the lampshade to get the same effect as annk but something similar...

image snip

I like yours better, the yellow reflection is more elegant, and you managed without all the post processing. :)

DBAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
I like yours better, the yellow reflection is more elegant, and you managed without all the post processing.

Heh, Thanks, I did do a bit of light editing in Photoshop though (only colour correction, does that even count?) :p

I tried some flower pictures too, but the macro mode is crap, it focuses on the leaves behind the flowers! (This is what i get for using a £35 point and shoot I guess... :eek: )

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
It's really great to see some pictures that arent of flowers...

I'm yet to post, mainly because I just havent come across anything that I can shoot (that isn't a yellow flower) hehehe.. working all day means getting up in the dark and getting home in the dark, leaving w'ends to find something to shoot! (boo)..

Still, some great shots thus far! :cool:

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
I went out on a "colour yellow" shoot this afternoon. This shot wasn't my originally intended shot but it was my favourite from the shoot. C&C welcome.

Copenhagen Bus; CPH, DK; 14/07/06

yellow-3.jpg

Attachments

• yellow-3.jpg
    yellow-3.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 138

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
A yellow cat

You know how cats get that "high minded" look in which you just know that they want to climb something?

We waited for it.

lioness_leap(1717).jpg

Unfortunately, she didn't make it up onto the first branch.

Katavi National Park, Tanzania.
25 June 2006 at 08:51:58 local (GMT+3)
Canon 20D, with 70-200 f/2.8 IS and 1.4x teleconverter

EDIT:
EXIF data: 280mm, ISO 100, f/5.6 @ 1/500 sec.

-hh

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
NY
-hh said:
You know how cats get that "high minded" look in which you just know that they want to climb something?

We waited for it.

http://www.huntzinger.com/photo/2006/tanzania/lioness_leap(1717).jpg[img]

Unfortunately, she didn't make it up onto the first branch.

Katavi National Park, Tanzania.
25 June 2006 (morning)
Canon 20D, with 70-200 f/2.8 IS and 1.4x teleconverter
280mm, ISO __, f/__ @ 1/xx sec.
EXIF data at home...again (argh). Will have to edit it in later this weekend.

-hh[/QUOTE]

Are you going to put a gallery up with your photos from your trip?

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Canon Powershot G6
!/2350
f/4.5

The original was edited in Photoshop to remove the colour from the background and just leave the Yellow sign.

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 120

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
normal_lovers.jpg

1/20
F/3.2
50mm F1.8
ISO 100

I was walking around the house/garden today mucking around with my new camera.. and looking for something yellow, when I noticed this table feature my wife has setup on our dining table. The wood carving was a wedding gift from a friend, the frangipani (sp?), rocks and candle in the dish is one of the actual features we had on each table at our wedding... It's been sitting right there for quite some time now, so I decided to take a few shots of it

This lens (50mm f/1.8) takes far better quality photo's than the kit lens that came with the camera! (18-55mm EF-S 3.5-5.6 II) perhaps due to less glass inside, no telephoto, etc.

Unfortunately I dont have the time to travel to somewhere exotic or interesting to get a 'yellow' pic (tigers, lions, old buildings, etc) so pottering around the house will have to suffice!

having fun :)

Attachments

• lovers.jpg
    lovers.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 127

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
cookie1105 said:
I went out on a "colour yellow" shoot this afternoon. This shot wasn't my originally intended shot but it was my favourite from the shoot. C&C welcome.

yellow-3.jpg

I love this one, but I have a n00b question - how did you focus the bus, but let the blur occur elsewhere? It's a great effect.

Dr_Maybe

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
South America
annk said:
I love this one, but I have a n00b question - how did you focus the bus, but let the blur occur elsewhere? It's a great effect.

It looks like a panning shot. Basically you follow the moving object with your camera, while the shutter is open.

For instance set the shutter to 1/60 (just an example, shouldn't be too high). Pull the trigger while moving the camera. The movement will cause blurring. But because you follow the subject with the camera, it won't be blurred - or at least less blurred, than everything else.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Dr_Maybe said:
It looks like a panning shot. Basically you follow the moving object with your camera, while the shutter is open.

For instance set the shutter to 1/60 (just an example, shouldn't be too high). Pull the trigger while moving the camera. The movement will cause blurring. But because you follow the subject with the camera, it won't be blurred - or at least less blurred, than everything else.

Yeah, but the difficult thing to do is to point your camera at the same spot on the bus the entire time, which means you need to move your camera at the same speed as the bus, while not shaking your camera horizontally or vertically by more than a 1mm or 2.

And sorry folks. I've been busy writing a paper recently and haven't had any time to shoot. I'll likely do so later...........if I find time. :eek: :(

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
cookie1105 said:

This image brought back fond memories of my stay in Reykjavik this past February.

Can you explain perhaps the Nordic fascination with yellow buses?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Chip NoVaMac said:
Can you explain perhaps the Nordic fascination with yellow buses?
I think it's more of a coincidence than a Nordic fascination with yellow busses. In the three cities in Norway that I've lived, the busses had different colours; Oslo has red busses, Trondheim has white busses and Tromsø has blue.

I'm also a beginner and would love comments, but remember to take it one step at a time.

(Click for larger image)

Untitled
Østensjøvannet, Oslo, Norway 17.07.2006
Camera: Canon PowerShot S3 IS
Exposure: 1/640 @ f2.7
Focal length: 8mm

Photoshop: Selected and copied focused parts to new layer, gaussian blur 4.0 on background, reduced saturation on background, slight vignett on background using a brightness adjusting layer with a circular gradient layer mask. Original (Cropped).

Clix Pix said:
Also, only one entry is allowed....
I thought the rules said 5 images for an assignment, but only 1 of a particular subject.

2nd Edit: So here's another subject from me:

(Click for larger image)

"I love my green socks"
Linderud, Oslo, Norway 18.07.2006
Camera: Canon PowerShot S3 IS
Exposure: 1/500 @ f3.5
Focal length: 6mm

Photoshop: Removed a hair with clone stamp, adjusted levels separately for socks and sky. Original

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.