Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
Okay, another report. I haven't been working today so most of the time my MBP has been in sleep mode. I did the SMC reset and at full charge it was predicting 10 hours of battery, which was way more than before the reset. Through about 1:15 on battery (with several long sleeps throughout that period) it was still predicting 9+ hours. But just now I woke from sleep and it's 1:35 on battery and Apple's prediction is 6:22 remaining, for a total of a little over 8 hours.

Battery Logger says battery is at 81%. 95 minutes is 19% of 500 minutes, which would be about 8:18. So definitely better than the 6-6.5 hours I was getting before, but not at the 9-hour mark which is what I was hoping for.

Then again, it's been asleep for a good portion of the day, so I imagine that drains some battery too? Maybe it would get 9 hours with continuous use.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Just wanted to add I have similar results with an SMS reset... first day test (after letting indexing and such run overnight), I got a real 6.5-7 hours (I actually measured it over the course of the day). The original estimate at 100% was pretty accurate. The estimate never was over 7 hours. After the SMC reset, the initial estimate is now 11:30! I suspect I will get less, but there has definitely been an improvement.

Many thanks guys! I will report back if actual run time is significantly less...

(15" Pro with 16GB RAM)

EDIT: Just lowered the brightness down to the minimum in a dark room, and estimate jumped to 16+ hours!

Last edited:

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Then again, it's been asleep for a good portion of the day, so I imagine that drains some battery too? Maybe it would get 9 hours with continuous use.

I think the sleeps skewed your metrics and yes I agree with the above that you might get 9 with less sleeps and more consistent (light) use.

cdecker15

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
So did the SMC reset fix the 13" battery issue? I'm afraid to order it if there's an existing issue.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
So did the SMC reset fix the 13" battery issue? I'm afraid to order it if there's an existing issue.

why you can always return it...I think it may have adressed some of the issue. Try it out, it's an awesome laptop. Just go in with low expectations on the battery. Although the machine I am on now is doing really well. I think this one is working as it should. Lasted all day basically on and off, sleeps etc.

titleistman18

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
This seems problematic...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 10.38.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 10.38.26 PM.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 293

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
Here's the question on my mind: how did these things come out of the factory needing a SMC reset? Are they defective? Are we going to need to continue to do this (i.e. will the battery life shorten again progressively, at which point we'll have to do it again)?

Obviously something isn't right with at least a good number of these. Just concerned that I'll keep it past the return period and find out that this is an ongoing issue.

Reactions: idunn and m-a

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
The SMC reset definitely did something for me... The battery time remaining meter seems to not be fluctuating as wildly as before, and now from 100%, it's reading 11:21. Hmm. Maybe there is something to this reset thing after all. Will have to see how it holds up.

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
SMC Reset here...and i'm seeing a huge difference. It's been at 100% battery for about 20 minutes, saying I have 7 hours 40 minutes remaining (and has been going up in the last 20-30 minutes) and looking WAY better than before.
13" TB 3.3Ghz
[doublepost=1479528394][/doublepost]
Here's the question on my mind: how did these things come out of the factory needing a SMC reset? Are they defective? Are we going to need to continue to do this (i.e. will the battery life shorten again progressively, at which point we'll have to do it again)?

Obviously something isn't right with at least a good number of these. Just concerned that I'll keep it past the return period and find out that this is an ongoing issue.
I didn't think to do the SMC because it was out of the factory...

I don't think we'd need to do it frequently...sometimes a mac just needs to have it done...

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
im sure it's not something we will have to repeat (at least any more than usual. I think I've only done smc resets three times in 9 years). Seems like these things got a little goofed up coming out of the factory is all.

Reactions: tjleonard

javiergenesisx

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Afterwards...
yea the smc reset save my life i mean i don't know if will exactly get 10 hours however its better then what it was , my laptop still got 25% and its been like 9 to 10 hours since that last post but i didn't use it for like 2 hours, also may i ask how exactly you did the smc reset to make sure u didn't do it wrong?

titleistman18

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
yea the smc reset save my life i mean i don't know if will exactly get 10 hours however its better then what it was , my laptop still got 25% and its been like 9 to 10 hours since that last post but i didn't use it for like 2 hours, also may i ask how exactly you did the smc reset to make sure u didn't do it wrong?

Sure:
  1. I turned off my computer.
  2. Plugged in the power cord into the port
  3. Held shift+control+option+power button simultaneously
  4. Screen turned over again
  5. Then clicked power button to start
[doublepost=1479529603][/doublepost]
Quit Chrome for about 10-15 minutes and web browse with Safari?

Chrome is horrible for memory and battery...granted, i'm not telling you to not use Chrome...i'm simply trying to rule out the program that is using significant usage.

So... this now got more interesting. Now it shows 7:30 remaining?!? I'm so confused...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 11.23.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 11.23.13 PM.png
    176.4 KB · Views: 184

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Sure:

So... this now got more interesting. Now it shows 7:30 remaining?!? I'm so confused...

One problem is you plugged in after turning off. That should turn it on (the new way this works).

Turn it off (keeping it plugged in) and run through the steps again (but don't mess with the power cable).

javiergenesisx

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Sure:

yea u did the smc correct since its showing that now , when i did it i actually didn't connect the charging cable at all so it don't turn on the computer but i can tell it work for you so now jus charge it to 100% and then go from there.

titleistman18

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
One problem is you plugged in after turning off. That should turn it on (the new way this works).

Turn it off (keeping it plugged in) and run through the steps again (but don't mess with the power cable).

Just did so as you suggested. Lemon? Here's what it's showing now:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 11.54.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 11.54.53 PM.png
    158 KB · Views: 196

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Just did so as you suggested. Lemon? Here's what it's showing now:
I don't think you have a lemon (more so than anyone else). Charge your computer to 100%, pull it off the charger. Use it for about 20 minutes and then look at how long it estimates.

Mine was saying 7.5 hours for like 2 hours straight so i just need to calibrate the battery again. I'm actually optimistic that it's just a small oversite and a software update or clearing the smc fixes it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.