Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
There was a time these guys had hit a very sweet spot in terms of battery and performance. But their quest is what fuels them and that quest is probably going to burn them if they don't see that customers are getting disgruntled because it is no more working for them, it is just a visually pleasing device and they can't trust it while on the move. Thinner and lighter is **** if you got to carry 800g worth of chargers and battery packs along with it.

On the other hand, I think, the iMac will resurface as seeing that they are killing the battery life of MacBooks so bad, people would rather get the iMac and be done with. You get the MacBook to take it along with you, and that is something they are making slowly and slowly impossible to do. :p
Reasonable prediction. I would add that Apple is probably taking heat now because of the expectation of it "just works". Past MB's had consistent, decent battery life (smaller variance) because of a more consistent power draw from the CPU and just a bigger battery. These new CPU's clearly require a little more care and create a much bigger power variance. This would explain why some people have watts used in multiples of my watts used. These new CPU/battery combos no longer "just work". There are now big caveats with these MBP's and "work IF". Apple definitely should have been better prepared for this both in software and message, but consumers may need to a adjust to the new world of these "energy efficient" CPU's. Just my take reading this ridiculously long thread.

Epicberry

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2016
For some off reason, my 13" TB base charged to 100% and drained to 76% in about 15 minutes and the keybaord was very warm to the touch. Looked at the activity monitor and noticed windowserver CPU usage at 136%? Time remaining was 2:26 hours so I tripped out so I shut it down and turned it back on. Everything was normal again.. Not sure what happened but I tried the NVRAM reset by pressing Command - Option - P - R when I turn on the macbook. I didn't hear any noises but i held it down for 30 seconds, it keeps cycling the grey screen and brings me to the start up utility screen. Not sure what happened but that's when my macbook was behaving weird.

Reactions: mahcus36

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
comparing to my 2010 mbp, that has a 7200mAh battery and this one has a 6670mAh.

So that's probably part of the reason for my issue. I'm getting 500 less mAh per charge.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
comparing to my 2010 mbp, that has a 7200mAh battery and this one has a 6670mAh.

So that's probably part of the reason for my issue. I'm getting 500 less mAh per charge.
Sorry to chime in even though I don't know much about the 15", but your battery size is not the issue. People will bemoan the decrease in battery size, but the issue is your CPU and maybe dGPU are running hotter than what is considered "normal light use" in Apple's eyes. The CPU power efficiency gains are supposed to offset the smaller battery in theory. It is valid depending on what you use and if you have other "issues". To achieve the quoted battery life, your watts need to be somewhere around 9 or 10 watts from what I remember about the 15". Apple tested conditions that achieved this so for some reason (not your fault obviously) something is making your system run higher. Just wanted to clear up that the battery size in and of itself is not really the issue.

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Sorry to chime in even though I don't know much about the 15", but your battery size is not the issue. People will bemoan the decrease in battery size, but the issue is your CPU and maybe dGPU are running hotter than what is considered "normal light use" in Apple's eyes. The CPU power efficiency gains are supposed to offset the smaller battery in theory. It is valid depending on what you use and if you have other "issues". To achieve the quoted battery life, your watts need to be somewhere around 9 or 10 watts from what I remember about the 15". Apple tested conditions that achieved this so for some reason (not your fault obviously) something is making your system run higher. Just wanted to clear up that the battery size in and of itself is not really the issue.
To add to this, I think most of the power savings is coming from the new LCD panel. Apple claimed 30% reduction from the previous generation which is huge considering how much of the battery is taken up by the power draw of the display.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Reinstalling MacOS from unboxing would be the right thing to do anyway, factory builds usually contain a few bugs where as fresh install is the most up to date. Ive done that, SMC reset. Spotlight takes up most of my battery at the moment while its indexing things but i hope it'll settle down so i can get 7/8 hours out of one charge
Factory 'builds' are no different from what you download from the App Store (either as a new install or an update). These comments are incorrect and misleading.

Reactions: Weaselboy

oscarabilleira

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
I think I solved my "problem" increasing my battery life to the "double" using this "old article" that talks about a corrupt fille after migration.

http://www.mactrast.com/2012/07/cou...double-your-retina-macbook-pros-battery-life/

I used the migration system and I try the steps from the previous link and I get a "normal" battery life ... (I don't know if this was the reason or the normal life of the battery, but if someone wants to try)

Cancelled
Feb 27, 2014
Hi All,

I just received my new 2016 15" MBP (2.9 GHz, 1TB, 460) this week and am comparing it to my late 2013 15" MBP (2.6 GHz, 512 GB). I have been attempting to do comparisons operating them similarly (battery in the 2013 is only 6 months old). My impression is that both have similar battery life and power draw as shown by Coconut Battery monitor.

However, my impression is that the fan runs more on the 2016 as I can hear it. However, on the 2013 I can not hear the fan at all. I also think the 2016 runs warmer to the touch than the 2013.

Anyone else been able to make comparison with previous but similar devices/

Cheers,

Donald Barar

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008

Yeah my idling wattage at half brightness with all apps closed is like 20w.

Reactions: kwandrews

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France
Currently: 34% battery left. 12.8 Watts power drain and only 1.5 hours left! That equals 4.5 hours of usage. I am only browsing Macrumors and have nothing else open. 70% display brightness. 15" MBP 2016

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I think I solved my "problem" increasing my battery life to the "double" using this "old article" that talks about a corrupt fille after migration.

http://www.mactrast.com/2012/07/cou...double-your-retina-macbook-pros-battery-life/

I used the migration system and I try the steps from the previous link and I get a "normal" battery life ... (I don't know if this was the reason or the normal life of the battery, but if someone wants to try)

So I did this and my coconut battery went from showing 2:11 to 3:40 at about 83%. Hmm

I may do a total wipe and only copy over loose files - otherwise install my programs and settings fresh.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
In my opinion, people would be better served to just use your Macs and wait for the next update. Doing multiple resets and installs, along with constant Coconut battery watching is (essentially) a waste of time. As some have recently realized, the aforementioned doesn't really solve the battery drain problem.
I'd say the best thing to do with a new MBP purchase is:

Reinstall Sierra Immediately
Reset SMC
Reset P/VRAM
Install Coconut Battery
Diligently monitor power usage
Only install Apple apps
Set your display at the lowest brightness possible - around 1 or 2 clicks
Turn off all keyboard backlighting
Kill all processes you don't recognize
Disable as much of the Touch Bar as possible
Turn off Spotlight
Reinstall Sierra again
Reset SMC again
Reset P/VRAM again
Invoke one or two command line options to change sleep/hibernate times

These are clearly reasonable and normal things to do with a new computer. I'm surprised Apple hasn't compiled this list and put it on their MacBook Pro homepage.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France
Reinstalled Sierra. Deactivated Spotlight. Nothing else is draining power. I have ONLY Safari open and surfing Macrumors. No flash, nothing. I get only 8 hours of battery by doing ONLY that. 15" MBP with 75% display brightness. 10 Watts of power drain which is consistent with my 13" MBP of 2014. The battery is just too small, that is the issue here.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Reinstalled Sierra. Deactivated Spotlight. Nothing else is draining power. I have ONLY Safari open and surfing Macrumors. No flash, nothing. I get only 8 hours of battery by doing ONLY that. 15" MBP with 75% display brightness. 10 Watts of power drain which is consistent to my 13" MBP of 2014. The battery is just too small, that is the issue here.
50% brightness is plenty for me for indoor use. Then, you've probably earned yourself 10 hours up from the 8. And Apple rates it at 10 hours wireless web. You can't expect 10 hours from doing anything that requires above-minimal CPU time.

Reactions: JohnnyGo

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France
50% brightness is plenty for me for indoor use. Then, you've probably earned yourself 10 hours up from the 8. And Apple rates it at 10 hours wireless web. You can't expect 10 hours from doing anything that requires above-minimal CPU time.

I do the same stuff as Apple advertises!! 75% display brightness. And I get 8 hours. With absolute MINIMAL use. Absolute minimal. Once I start to fire up Music and Mail, it drops to 6-7 hours very very quickly. That is just very bad and thats also why I am returning this piece of (very expensive) crap.

I get 30% less batterylife on this one when compared to my old one, when doing the same stuff. That is not acceptable.

pixor

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2010
Austrlalia
I'd say the best thing to do with a new MBP purchase is:

Reinstall Sierra Immediately
Reset SMC
Reset P/VRAM
Install Coconut Battery
Diligently monitor power usage
Only install Apple apps
Set your display at the lowest brightness possible - around 1 or 2 clicks
Turn off all keyboard backlighting
Kill all processes you don't recognize
Disable as much of the Touch Bar as possible
Turn off Spotlight
Reinstall Sierra again
Reset SMC again
Reset P/VRAM again
Invoke one or two command line options to change sleep/hibernate times

These are clearly reasonable and normal things to do with a new computer. I'm surprised Apple hasn't compiled this list and put it on their MacBook Pro homepage.

I have to disagree. The only reasonable and normal thing to do with a new computer is to turn it on and use it! As for reinstalling Sierra - why? What do you hope to accomplish? All you are doing is replacing the OS with another copy that is the same. If there are any updates since it left the factory you will be prompted to install them.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Factory 'builds' are no different from what you download from the App Store (either as a new install or an update). These comments are incorrect and misleading.
I didn't do a reinstall so take this with a grain of salt. I wouldn't say it's misleading. People have confirmed positive results. What it could be doing is resetting all your settings during the reinstall. For whatever reason in testing or if data migrated, things were not optimized. Again this is speculation, but I'm not calling the people who this worked for liars. After all, people are just throwing darts to see what works, and after 42 pages of this, some things have, and some have not. YMMV. Doesn't mean it's bunk just because it may not work for any individual. I'm not accusing everyone of being liars since I'm getting 8-9 hours regularly. For everyone, YMMV. This is Apple dropping the ball for sure, but people like me, just want our s**t to work, not just wait for an update.

Reactions: b_scott

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I did a reinstall of 10.12.1 (not beta) which kept all my stuff (just wiped/installed MacOS). Now my battery remaining is in the bar, and it's saying 5:57. Coconut is saying 10hours. Which is way more than it was saying before. Also watts are only 5.7 in Chrome. I recommend making a boot USB and reinstalling MacOS to see what it does for you. Can't hurt.

edit - keeps going up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 4.32.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 4.32.56 PM.png
    132.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 4.46.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 4.46.39 PM.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 5.02.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 5.02.55 PM.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
My tbMBP 15" said at one point I had 6 hrs left but it was honestly more like 3. Just using Keynote really. Very disappointed. Thought I wasn't going to have to buy another £160 power adapter for work.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
So, now I'm on my third 13" i7/16GB/512GB.

And this is real and totally accurate... 9h 27m ON BATTERY with 25% remaining. The remaining time makes no sense but the 9h 30m is confirmed from a stopwatch.
You can see in the chart this included well over an hour of what appears to be standby time?

titleistman18

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
Nope, been using it the entire day.

For about an hour+ my battery % didn't change whatsoever, including Coconut Battery... seems like a software glitch far more than hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.