Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deleon

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
Safari for now. Supposedly next version of Chrome will be much better optimized for power efficiency. Sometime this month I've read.

Chrome 55 is already out. When I checked the version I was running yesterday, it downloaded the new version.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
those having problems - are you in the beta program? I was and I left and reinstalled straight 10.12.1. Problems solved. Tons of battery life.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France
those having problems - are you in the beta program? I was and I left and reinstalled straight 10.12.1. Problems solved. Tons of battery life.

No we are not. It does not matter what you install. The battery is smaller and the power consumption is still the same under moderate use --> less battery life. It is very simple.

H-B0mb

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
I received my maxed out MBP 13 TB the other day. I like it but the battery life seems ridiculous. Currently on 98% charge and 60% brightness and it's reporting 4.35 hours remaining. For something I spent over £2k on that's pretty bad. I think I'm going to return it.

Reactions: mahcus36

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
No we are not. It does not matter what you install. The battery is smaller and the power consumption is still the same under moderate use --> less battery life. It is very simple.

It's not simple. I was losing 15-20% in 30 minutes. This is after migration. I then reinstalled 10.12.1 from scratch and I have long long battery life. Please don't try to state a fact that is not fixing anyone's issue. My solution actually fixed my issue and I want to pass it along.

I feel like there is something wrong with the migration assistant, pulling in old files that are possibly causing the Radeon to work all the time, dropping battery life like crazy. My mac was super hot before and now it's very cool, doing the same things.

Reactions: creamz

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009

The software is mostly to blame in the battery fiasco. Sierra is not helping (beta or not). Some people are having "real" problems probably due to one or more software processes.

Glad to hear your problems have been fixed!

Reactions: b_scott

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I received my maxed out MBP 13 TB the other day. I like it but the battery life seems ridiculous. Currently on 98% charge and 60% brightness and it's reporting 4.35 hours remaining. For something I spent over £2k on that's pretty bad. I think I'm going to return it.

Batter estimates are not accurate. Please read various posts with tips about:
- Sierra reinstall
- PRAM / SMC reset
- Safari vs chrome
- ad blocks (different software can yield lower/higher power usage)
Etc

In any event follow the first rule of battery operated hardware: fully charge overnight and give its first use until it runs all the way down the battery. Then plug it back again overnight for a full charge.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France
It's not simple. I was losing 15-20% in 30 minutes. This is after migration. I then reinstalled 10.12.1 from scratch and I have long long battery life. Please don't try to state a fact that is not fixing anyone's issue.

Well, if you read the last 5 pages you can see that I tried everything :) I reinstalled everything, did every reset at my disposal, and its just worse. :)

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Well, if you read the last 5 pages you can see that I tried everything :) I reinstalled everything, did every reset at my disposal, and its just worse. :)

Sorry to hear that. I've been reading for awhile but can't keep everyone straight. If you're running the factory Sierra from scratch and having abysmal battery life, return it. If I'm getting 10-12 hours of screen time with my migration (plus Sierra reinstall) then you should too unless your system has a problem.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 10.08.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 10.08.03 AM.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 218

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
How many times are people going to take their 'time remaining' estimates as gospel before they realise it's totally meaningless?

At least try using a full charge to see how long it actually lasts!

Man on the moon

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
So i have not read all 44 pages.

I am scheduled to get the new 2799 model for 1999 (amazon price error) and i wondering how much worse is the battery compared to 2015 model?

15'' model 2015 VS 2016 Touchbar

stephenvis

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
Not liking this at all.. What could I be doing wrong? This is no 10 hours at all... How do you guys feel about returning it for the non tb version? Less ghz, cheaper, removable ssd and 300 euros.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2016-12-03 om 18.43.13.png
    Schermafbeelding 2016-12-03 om 18.43.13.png
    459 KB · Views: 252

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Not liking this at all.. What could I be doing wrong? This is no 10 hours at all... How do you guys feel about returning it for the non tb version? Less ghz, cheaper, removable ssd and 300 euros.

A) Did you use Migration Assistant or is this stock?
B) If you did the above, have you tried reinstalling 10.12.1 from a USB thumb drive?

Reactions: stephenvis

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Sorry to hear that. I've been reading for awhile but can't keep everyone straight. If you're running the factory Sierra from scratch and having abysmal battery life, return it. If I'm getting 10-12 hours of screen time with my migration (plus Sierra reinstall) then you should too unless your system has a problem.

Two hours later:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 12.14.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 12.14.50 PM.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 241

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
I ended up going with a 15" and I set it up as new and I'm getting decent battery life with web browsing and probably a little worse battery life than the 13" when I'm pushing it because of the GPU I guess. So what I would say when comparing the two is 13" was about 9 hours web and 6.5 hours when pushed. 15" seems to be about 10 hours web and 5 hours when pushed (though I imagine there are people pushing it harder than that). To me it seems like there is an issue when people migrate, I just set both machines up as new and turned off auto brightness put my display at about 75% and keyboard at about 50%.

My 13" started at about 6 hours web then I made those changes and it got to about 9 I made the changes immediately to the 15" and it was getting about 10 right off the bat. I did notice my 13" came with the keyboard backlight all the way up and I turned it down to about half to get to 9 hours and my 15" came at halfway out of the box. Not sure how big of a difference that would make just something I noticed.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I ended up going with a 15" and I set it up as new and I'm getting decent battery life with web browsing and probably a little worse battery life than the 13" when I'm pushing it because of the GPU I guess. So what I would say when comparing the two is 13" was about 9 hours web and 6.5 hours when pushed. 15" seems to be about 10 hours web and 5 hours when pushed (though I imagine there are people pushing it harder than that). To me it seems like there is an issue when people migrate, I just set both machines up as new and turned off auto brightness put my display at about 75% and keyboard at about 50%.

My 13" started at about 6 hours web then I made those changes and it got to about 9 I made the changes immediately to the 15" and it was getting about 10 right off the bat. I did notice my 13" came with the keyboard backlight all the way up and I turned it down to about half to get to 9 hours and my 15" came at halfway out of the box. Not sure how big of a difference that would make just something I noticed.
I assume you're talking tb versions of both? Also, what made you go 15" out of curiosity? Congrats on your as-advertised battery life.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
I assume you're talking tb versions of both? Also, what made you go 15" out of curiosity? Congrats on your as-advertised battery life.

Yep I had TB versions of both and I'm really mainly using safari so maybe that's why. I also don't really have hubs or displays plugged into it and those are the numbers without the speakers but seem to be replicable with headphones. I was getting about 4-7 watts browsing on the 13" and about 7-10 watts browsing with the 15". If I start processing photos or anything that they both start eating through battery but I personally get about their usage for web.

I have been getting into photography recently and the screen on the 15" is just a lot better for going though images and it seems to be great for processing. The portability of it kind of surprised me, the 13" does seem like the perfect size for portability but with how sleek these are the 15" isn't that much worse to carry around, like I really don't notice that much of a difference honestly and the tradeoff is really worth it. I'd have no problem bringing the 15" out or using it while traveling so it's great for me.

Last edited:

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2013
After the current beta drained my 15' (standard config) by 10% every 15 minutes, another clean install (non-beta) did the trick. This time I left out Chrome and the entire Adobe CC stuff. And the battery is absolutely fine. Getting about 9-11 hours on almost max brightness, one bar below maximum. Doing some light MS Office stuff, Safari browsing, YouTube and Netflix.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
About 1.5 hours mixing audio- but I mix heavy (15-30 tracks, 2-3 AAX each track, 7-10 VST's) and use a bus powered DAC (Groove).

3.5 hours watching Hulu/HBO.

5-6 hours connected to wifi with light browsing and using MS office programs.

9 hours wifi off, using MS Office and playing music through speakers or headphones.

FileVault was never activated, I didn't migrate, everything is updated. I often have several background things running when on wifi, (Avid Manager, gobbler, flux).

Edit: All seperate cycles. 15" 2.9/460/1tb.

Last edited:

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Yep I had TB versions of both and I'm really mainly using safari so maybe that's why. I also don't really have hubs or displays plugged into it and those are the numbers without the speakers but seem to be replicable with headphones. I was getting about 4-7 watts browsing on the 13" and about 7-10 with the 15". If I start processing photos or anything that they both start eating through battery but I personally get about their usage for web.

I have been getting into photography recently and the screen on the 15" is just a lot better for going though images and it seems to be great for processing. The portability of it kind of surprised me, the 13" does seem like the perfect size for portability but with how sleek these are the 15" isn't that much worse to carry around, like I really don't notice that much of a difference honestly and the tradeoff is really worth it. I'd have no problem bringing the 15" out or using it while traveling so it's great for me.
I get similar watts on my 13, I think that's what Apple had in mind. Your 15" watts seem appropriate for the bigger battery and faster processors. I can imagine that the 15 would be nice for mobile screen real estate. Honestly, going 15 never crossed my mind. I've always used 13's exclusively, and they fit the laptop definition for me, especially since I am usually attached to a monitor. Enjoy your sweet MBP.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
After the current beta drained my 15' (standard config) by 10% every 15 minutes, another clean install (non-beta) did the trick. This time I left out Chrome and the entire Adobe CC stuff. And the battery is absolutely fine. Getting about 9-11 hours on almost max brightness, one bar below maximum. Doing some light MS Office stuff, Safari browsing, YouTube and Netflix.

Excellent! Glad this solution worked for you as it did for me :)

Reactions: mahcus36

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
I get similar watts on my 13, I think that's what Apple had in mind. Your 15" watts seem appropriate for the bigger battery and faster processors. I can imagine that the 15 would be nice for mobile screen real estate. Honestly, going 15 never crossed my mind. I've always used 13's exclusively, and they fit the laptop definition for me, especially since I am usually attached to a monitor. Enjoy your sweet MBP.

In a lot of ways I agree the 13 just seems like the perfect size for a laptop which is why I really thought about it. If it was any other generation I may have gone that way too. The 13 was really great to use the combination of power and size is really amazing. I feel that way with either really they both just pack a hell of a lot into a small package. If it wasn't for the photography and how much easier it made comparing images I may have stuck with it. Thanks and enjoy the 13 those are really beautiful machines.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France
Excellent! Glad this solution worked for you as it did for me :)

I did it too. And it did NOT work for me. 6-7 hours with only webbrowsing. Spotlight disabled. Siri disabled. Only browsing on sites like macrumors.com without flash, without any plugins. 6-7 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.