Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RanbirA

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
New Jersey
Below is my stats and my usage;

Starts 100% with 13 hrs left (Started at 4:45pm) to 72% with 3:37 hrs left (Laptop to sleep @ 6:52pm)
- Brightness: 50%
Apps used:
- Safari (twitch - watching game live, few tabs opened for reading)
- Terminal - Opened at 5:45pm
- Sublime Text - Opened at 5:45pm
- XAMP server

72% (Wake Laptop @ 7:10pm) to 33% @ 9:25pm
- Brightness: 50%
Apps used:
- Safari(Twitch only)

33% @ 9:25pm to 10% @ 11pm
- Brightness 50%
Apps Used:
- Safari(reading)

knihc2008

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
My battery appears to be on the decline. When I first picked the laptop (15" 2.7 455) up I was getting around 10 hours on regular usage (Safari, Messages, Word, Powerpoint). Yesterday I did my first "labor intensive" task (editing quite a few large photo files). First time I've heard my laptop fan whirr and the laptop got quite hot. Now back to regular tasks (Safari, Messages) and 1 hour has me down from 100% to 60%. Fairly concerned about battery life now...

DB4AW

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
Apple wants to help with battery related issues. Here is their tweet:

Let's pair up and work as a team. Please DM (Direct Message) us and we'll continue from there: https://twitter.com/messages/compose?recipient_id=3309375033

So let's see what Apple can do. Better than continually griping about it amongst ourselves. But make it clear with Apple that even though you are willing to spend some time with them in trying to resolve your MBP battery life issues that you may still return it if the issue is not resolved to your satisfaction. And any time spent working with them should not impact any time you have left to return the MBP.

Last edited:
Reactions: mahcus36

marcel500

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
Apple wants to help with battery related issues. Here is their tweet:

Let's pair up and work as a team. Please DM (Direct Message) us and we'll continue from there: https://twitter.com/messages/compose?recipient_id=3309375033

So let's see what Apple can do. Better than continually griping about it amongst ourselves. But make it clear with Apple that even though you are willing to spend some time with them in trying to resolve your MBP battery life issues that you may still return it if the issue is not resolved to your satisfaction. And any time spent working with them should not impact any time you have left to return the MBP.

Totally support this... Let's get them involved...

Reactions: Balaamsdonkey

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I guess people just quit trying to fix their battery issues ? I just got my new 13" tbMBP and battery seems fine. Granted more like 8h and not 10h but from everything I read this was expected. Still in my first cycle trying to run down the battery so we'll see after one week of actual use.

Reactions: mahcus36

technoholic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
I guess people just quit trying to fix their battery issues ? I just got my new 13" tbMBP and battery seems fine. Granted more like 8h and not 10h but from everything I read this was expected. Still in my first cycle trying to run down the battery so we'll see after one week of actual use.
8 hours, I dream of 8 hours!

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
8 hours, I dream of 8 hours!
So far I have not run Mail and have not installed dropbox... my Power usage shows 5-8 Watts with current usage showing 400-700 mAh
[doublepost=1481546326][/doublepost]
So far I have not run Mail and have not installed dropbox... my Power usage shows 5-8 Watts with current usage showing 400-700 mAh
Turned on Mail and can report that it does affect battery usage significantly at first. Changed the setting from "automatically" getting new emails to "check every 5 minutes" and that lowered the power usage.

fodaveg

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2016
Valencia, Spain

8 hours with normal use?

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
8 hours with normal use?
Normal use ? not yet. Just trying out the new MBP, setting up as new, copying some files.

Observations:
- USBC/TB3 port usage: anything plugged generates a lot of power draw / heat... I guess there is a price to pay for the new tech (USB3.1 / TB3)
- Spotlight does run in battery mode, not only plugged in... so for everyone setting up a new laptop with new files from onedrive/dropbox they have to wait for the initial setup to go through before testing battery life

My 8h estimate was based on power draw / watt usage from Battery Health 2. Basically just surfing the web with 5-6 tabs open.

manuchis

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Spain
Normal use ? not yet. Just trying out the new MBP, setting up as new, copying some files.

Observations:
- USBC/TB3 port usage: anything plugged generates a lot of power draw / heat... I guess there is a price to pay for the new tech (USB3.1 / TB3)
- Spotlight does run in battery mode, not only plugged in... so for everyone setting up a new laptop with new files from onedrive/dropbox they have to wait for the initial setup to go through before testing battery life

My 8h estimate was based on power draw / watt usage from Battery Health 2. Basically just surfing the web with 5-6 tabs open.
Yes, it took me almost a day to sync everything (I didn't have an ethernet adapter) and get the spotlight ready, so, battery estimate was 2hs and a lot of heat. But now is fine. having around 8/9 hs.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
8 hours with normal use?

My history:
  • Received in mid-November (I pre-ordered minutes after the announcement)
  • Got 6-6.5 hours out of the box
  • Did SMC reset, no effect
  • Reinstalled Sierra, got 8-8.5 hours for 2-3 cycles
  • After those cycles, am down to 6-6.5 hours again
Normal use for me includes Safari, Chrome (I have to use it because our clinic's telemedicine platform doesn't run on Safari), Slack, Polymail, Fantastical 2, Messages, 2Do, Evernote, Dropbox, and occasional use of MS Office and Apple iWork. I am typically between 35-55% brightness.

Note that with my 2013 MBA (which I still have), I can get 9-10 hours on battery using these apps—even three years after I bought it. So please don't tell me the solution to this battery problem is to just use Safari with no other apps open.

gnyf

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
Coming from a 2014 model and use to have juice for like 8+ hours.
My new machine lasted for only 5,5 hours today with only very light office work :(
What strikes me is that the GPU is not fired down even when machine is idling and I seldom have below 12-15w drained and often peaks in the 55W+ range.
Been using battery logger and sees that it's the CPU that's eating up the juice.

Reactions: Queen6

sprockett

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
My history:
  • Received in mid-November (I pre-ordered minutes after the announcement)
  • Got 6-6.5 hours out of the box
  • Did SMC reset, no effect
  • Reinstalled Sierra, got 8-8.5 hours for 2-3 cycles
  • After those cycles, am down to 6-6.5 hours again
Normal use for me includes Safari, Chrome (I have to use it because our clinic's telemedicine platform doesn't run on Safari), Slack, Polymail, Fantastical 2, Messages, 2Do, Evernote, Dropbox, and occasional use of MS Office and Apple iWork. I am typically between 35-55% brightness.

Note that with my 2013 MBA (which I still have), I can get 9-10 hours on battery using these apps—even three years after I bought it. So please don't tell me the solution to this battery problem is to just use Safari with no other apps open.

IM getting similar usage.

I'm heavy on chrome, and run dropbox, box AND google drive as well. Multiple chat apps (telegram, hipchat), and spotify.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Coming from a 2014 model and use to have juice for like 8+ hours.
My new machine lasted for only 5,5 hours today with only very light office work :(
What strikes me is that the GPU is not fired down even when machine is idling and I seldom have below 12-15w drained and often peaks in the 55W+ range.
Been using battery logger and sees that it's the CPU that's eating up the juice.

Same here my own 2014 13" high tier rMBP, still easily hits over 8 hours of real world use. Apple chose to depreciate the 13" MBP battery capacity by 34%. Direct result the replacement to my 2014 rMBP easily exceeds 10 hours with comfort, no battery monitors needed, no user concern, no fruit on the lid. Personally I expect far more of Apple not just an 1/8" inch shaved off (3mm) that`s absolutely of no use to me when the battery is dead. Single most important aspect of a portable device is battery runtime...

Q-6

Sohappy

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2016
Nearly a week since I received my MBP 15". I don't seem to have battery problems. Safari and mail, a little of Pages and I have consistently more than 10 hours.

When I am on Affinity Photos, FCP X or motion, I plug in.

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
My battery appears to be on the decline. When I first picked the laptop (15" 2.7 455) up I was getting around 10 hours on regular usage (Safari, Messages, Word, Powerpoint). Yesterday I did my first "labor intensive" task (editing quite a few large photo files). First time I've heard my laptop fan whirr and the laptop got quite hot. Now back to regular tasks (Safari, Messages) and 1 hour has me down from 100% to 60%. Fairly concerned about battery life now...

That doesn't sound like "on the decline". Just sounds like when the laptop is using the graphics card it uses a lot more power. Which is to be expected. I don't think anyone should be surprised when graphically intensive tasks take 3-4x as much power. That's normal. Plug it in if you're doing that.

greenhut

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Ive owned over 20 Apple computers going back to the Apple II+. Prior to purchasing 13" TB/256/8, have been using and loving MBA for years (most recent for me MacBookAir 6,2). I just returned my first Apple product ever (and I even owned a Newton!). My reasons:

1. Battery Life. Was somewhere around half of my heavily used battery in my MBA.
2. Accidental Escape. My left pinky from years of MBA use, naturally rests on ESC TB key. Have lost countless work.
3. (DISTANT) 100% USBC. Would have lived with this, but already had cases where I couldn't present at work. At the premium charged for these machines, they should have included some dongle or combo.
4. (MORE DISTANT) Magsasfe - Missed, but no big deal. However cost for additional charge block, power cord, and USBC cable is ridiculous.

Loved the screen. TB was OK and likely to get better. ESC key a killer, but maybe a SW fix possible for people like me. Improved speed was nice, but I use this laptop for web, email, word, ppt, etc, and only occasionally for high perf requirements.

Maybe next year...

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Ive owned over 20 Apple computers going back to the Apple II+. Prior to purchasing 13" TB/256/8, have been using and loving MBA for years (most recent for me MacBookAir 6,2). I just returned my first Apple product ever (and I even owned a Newton!). My reasons:

1. Battery Life. Was somewhere around half of my heavily used battery in my MBA.
2. Accidental Escape. My left pinky from years of MBA use, naturally rests on ESC TB key. Have lost countless work.
3. (DISTANT) 100% USBC. Would have lived with this, but already had cases where I couldn't present at work. At the premium charged for these machines, they should have included some dongle or combo.
4. (MORE DISTANT) Magsasfe - Missed, but no big deal. However cost for additional charge block, power cord, and USBC cable is ridiculous.

Loved the screen. TB was OK and likely to get better. ESC key a killer, but maybe a SW fix possible for people like me. Improved speed was nice, but I use this laptop for web, email, word, ppt, etc, and only occasionally for high perf requirements.

Maybe next year...
Apologize for asking, but how come your pinky rests on the ESC key ??? Mine (left pinky) always rest on the "A" key !!!

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008

1. Battery Life. Was somewhere around half of my heavily used battery in my MBA. Hard to believe. My wife has an air and my MBP TB lasts longer than hers - and she mostly uses the web browser.
2. Accidental Escape. My left pinky from years of MBA use, naturally rests on ESC TB key. Have lost countless work. I'm not sure what you're talking about. Your pinky goes up higher than all keys and just sits on the touch bar? Also the ESC key is now offset to partly account for this possibility.
3. (DISTANT) 100% USBC. Would have lived with this, but already had cases where I couldn't present at work. At the premium charged for these machines, they should have included some dongle or combo. I'll give you this, except when paying $3000 for a luxury item, complaining about $50 more is a bit ridiculous.
4. (MORE DISTANT) Magsasfe - Missed, but no big deal. However cost for additional charge block, power cord, and USBC cable is ridiculous. Magsafe would force you to buy a whole new block as well, except with USB-C you don't need to buy a new cable, too - you can use any USB-C cable and just get a second block.

Maybe next year...

Comments above in red.

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
I'm still debating which version to buy (TB or NTB) and considering the number of complaints out there regarding battery life, I'm curious, why aren't people returning/exchanging them in favor of the NTB version?

greenhut

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Comments above in red.

Maybe there was something wrong with my MBP battery? Believe me - I WANTED to keep it. Loved the screen and performance. Nothing scientific at my claim of half, but without a doubt, my heavily used MBA easily was beating battery life on the MBP TB.

The people have mentioned the accidental escape issue, but it is personal based on hand size and typing style. My left pinky would frequently want to sit on the virtual ESC button. With a real button, no problem cause it wasn't pushed. with the touch button, I would frequently lose work cause ESC often maps to cancel. Would have adjusted eventually I am sure. Force touch on the touch bar even better.

Agree Magsafe means you need a new block too. Really two complaints here (and as stated not that big a deal). First magsafe was easier and safer :). Second, the cost of a genuine Apple USB Power Block ($69), power cord ($19), USBC cable ($19) is ridiculous. $117 for a second charging setup.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Agree Magsafe means you need a new block too. Really two complaints here (and as stated not that big a deal). First magsafe was easier and safer :). Second, the cost of a genuine Apple USB Power Block ($69), power cord ($19), USBC cable ($19) is ridiculous. $117 for a second charging setup.
Extra power block pricing + lack of cable was a big faux-pas by Apple IMO.
1) Apple should include the cable with the power brick
2) Apple could have granted the initial buyers a coupon for an extra power block + cable on each box (in order to avoid waste, just in case someone did not have any use for a 2nd block), or
3) Apple should at least a 50% discount on a 2nd power unit (w/ cable of course).

I know there will be plenty of usb-c cables in the future... but not at present. I don't know anyone with a spare usb-c to usb-c cable for me to borrow.

Reactions: Queen6 and greenhut

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
TRY THIS to measure your battery accurately! It will require $2.99 for the Mr Stopwatch app, but it's worth it. It runs in the menu bar (when you hide the main window). It will pause automatically when you put your Mac to sleep, close the lid, etc. So, it's really only tracking when you have it in actual use. This will let you really measure REAL usage vs. guessing and or taking Apple's word for it. Then you can look at the activity monitor for time on battery, which includes sleep, etc.

UDDATE on 13" TB base model. I reverted back to 10.12.1 from beta. Clean install from disk. Before I was getting 2-4 (maybe 5 if lucky) hours, usually with just Safari, light mail work and being very conscious to conserve power. Now? It's improved with the real measurements as noted above. Yesterday, I had 3:45 min on the clock, 59% remaining, so I would probably be able to hit around 7-8 hours. I can be okay with that. This was Safari, a couple YouTube videos, email, installing a few apps from the fresh setup, etc. Screen at 12 clicks, keyboard light off (or sometimes 2 clicks). This is the best I've seen.

I just went off battery on my other Mac profile on this machine for business use. I'm connected to VPN (Cisco AnyConnect), have Skype for Business running (presence right now, not active meeting...that sucks battery hard), Spark (I'm loving this vs. Outlook as I can blow through the 300-500 emails I get a day in about 25% of the time in Outlook) and a Fantastical 2 trial running...both connected to Exchange. Then Safari with 3 tabs, Mr StopWatch and Activity Monitor. I've been on battery for 20 minutes, still at 99%. I DO NOT pay attention to the time estimate from the Mac (it's never accurate...almost seems random). What I do look at now is the % and time in Mr Stopwatch. I'll be the judge of estimate time. Right now, with minimal activity, I'm guessing I'll be no less than 90% at 1 hour. That would be 10 hours of life. My best guess is that when I actually use it more, it will be more like 7-8, which I'm good with. I'll update later.

Reactions: JohnnyGo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.