Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
Did you migrate your App`s & data or is it a clean install? Migration Assistant can cause some issues, and something I never touch on OS X. To me the early adopters are gong to have to sit and wait on Apple getting the power consumption of Sierra down.

I think that you can see 10 hours of runtime however only if you strictly mimic Apple`s testing, not average use. Previously Apple was always conservative on battery runtime, to me they are setting up the new MBP for Kabylake, not Skylake, yes CPU efficiency is improved, equally there is more hardware onboard; TB-3`s Alpine Ridge controller & the new Touch Bar. The new display may or may not be more efficient at 100% brightness, also faster SSD`s.

Might be interesting if not telling, if an owner with Windows 10 installed can look at power consumption with say Battery Bar Pro, then again with Coconut Battery in macOS, if there is a significant difference then likely a software fix will work. Just a thought...

Q-6

I never migrate. Clean install x 3

Redirected

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
Some of you need to try this :

Keep your system plugged in 4-5 hours extra even after it is charged 100%.

i did this few times, my battery indicator shows 15 hours of remaining now lol.

right now i am at 78% with heavy photoshop and chrome usage, and 5.25 hours remaining.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
Some of you need to try this :

Keep your system plugged in 4-5 hours extra even after it is charged 100%.

i did this few times, my battery indicator shows 15 hours of remaining now lol.

right now i am at 78% with heavy photoshop and chrome usage, and 5.25 hours remaining.
Um...ya. I charged overnight, starting at 60%. I'd say it was plugged in at least 5+ hours at 100%
[doublepost=1481335284][/doublepost]Noticed something interesting. I have a 13" TB sitting in front of AND a 2016 12" MB m5. Running Coconut on both. We all know the TB has a smaller battery that the Non-Touch 13", no surprise. However, this did!

Battery Design Capacity per Coconut Battery:
2016 MBP 13" TB base: 4315 mAh, discharging with 12.7w
2016 MB 12" m5: 5474 mAh, discharging with 3.53w

Ummmmmm.....thoughts?

mahcus36

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Today I unplugged, did an hour of work on the internet (google docs, social media, reading some articles), and then i spend about 20 minutes finding a stream for the game I wanted to watch. I then watched a live stream of an NBA game for around 2 and a half hours, while checking twitter and Reddit during timeouts and halftime. 75% brightness the whole time, playing audio through headphones.

Ended with around 30% battery. It does the job, but having more battery would be nice too.

Also, my "P" key is stuck I think. Doesn't register my type on it most of the time. I should take it to the Apple Store right? Can they fix it for me, or do I have to get a replacement?

Xhakaology

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2016
Does anyone think that apple will respond to the problems? I must say I'm now 2 weeks in and no improvement. With medium-light use (music and safari, many WhatsApp and some pages) I'm constantly getting 5-6 hours. More than 7 hasn't really happened and I think I could only be reading a ebook or something to get such a performance.
I emailed Craig Federighi and he got back to me, asked for sys diagnostic report and told me it looks software based they hope to have fixed

Leaf.

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2016
I get about 5-6 hours listening to youtube music videos via headphones, microsoft word and simple web browsing using safari.

Pretty dissapointed tbh at the battery life.
[doublepost=1481372078][/doublepost]Screen brightness is about 50%
[doublepost=1481372169][/doublepost]
Does anyone think that apple will respond to the problems? I must say I'm now 2 weeks in and no improvement. With medium-light use (music and safari, many WhatsApp and some pages) I'm constantly getting 5-6 hours. More than 7 hasn't really happened and I think I could only be reading a ebook or something to get such a performance.
Im having the same issue

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
I have a late 2015 MacBook Pro 2.5, 512GB with AMD R9 370. Had it about a month. Wife is using it now. My new MacBook Pro Touch Bar 15" 512GB 455 does not get as good battery life as the 2015 under similar circumstances. Surfing, email, some photos work. In my playing around the last few weeks I would arbitrarily say about 20% less on the 2016. For my use it is fine say 8-9 hours on average. I can see why some people are disappointed though.

mfarben

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
I am back to 10.12.1 now... battery performance is indeed better than the beta 6.

It's alarming that the 12" MB has a bigger battery than the TB MBP.... wtf is going on at Apple??
If the MBP would just be consuming the same watts... okay. But it doesn't seem like it...

A reason for the small battery could be that they plan to include a bigger battery next year... because they know they can't change much space-wise in the chassis.

Best explanation so far for the high watts this thing is consuming is the "Turbo-Happiness" of the processors.... maybe they really respond to small tasks with a bis increase of performance...

After downgrading to 10.12.1 , SMC reset, NVRAM Reset and the deletion of cache ... my drain is much better !! (5-9 Watts compared to 12-15 Watts with beta 6)

Last edited:

Xhakaology

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2016

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    410.2 KB · Views: 366
  • image.png
    image.png
    184.3 KB · Views: 338

drvelocity

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
I just reinstalled Sierra 10.12.1 over top of Beta 6 (no format) and my battery life is the best I've had yet by FAR. What the ****? I'm averaging 5-10 watts with lots of stuff going on and 50% brightness now, and have 8 hours left with 92% remaining. In any case I'll take it!

Reactions: leon771

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
It's a beta-of course it's going to have issues, some with power consumption. If you want good battery life, I'd stick with either a gold-master beta or the final release.

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
I'm in kinda the same boat. 3 and a half hours with nothing more than light Safari work and a pdf open in preview (15 inch fully loaded). Fresh install of Sierra/no Beta. On a 4500 bucks device advertised to last 10 hrs.
Sorry Cupertino, you messed this one up tremendously. I could - just barely - swallow the lackluster graphics card (seriously. Get over nVidias failures of the past. Team green's graphics adapters are just vastly superior these days, both performance wise as well as efficiency-wise).

The fastest, slimmest, most beatiful laptop in the world is worthless just sitting there after it ran out of juice.

Return procedure with Apple initiated... my first Apple return ever, dating back to the iBook G3. I am kinda sad, as Windows is no option. Frankly, dunno what to do now.

Btw: Out of curiosity, I did it all again later, using my Powerbook G4 (final edition). Coarsely, it lasted 90 minutes longer than the 2016 15-incher. Moreover, incidentally even my venerable Clammy (Key Lime, having installed a one year old battery) still usually lasts longer on a single charge than the latest "Pro" device. A bit embarassing, isn't it, Mr. Schiller?

Last edited:

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
The more I use this machine and occasionally check the battery, the more convinced I am that there's a software-related power management issue. Otherwise, we wouldn't we seeing wildly variable battery life even on our own units.

I just used my 13" TB for 75 minutes straight, non-stop with screen at 50% brightness. Browsing various websites, using iMessage and Notes. Nothing heavy, but very constant usage. Battery dropped 11% in that time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 11.23.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 11.23.57 PM.png
    363.7 KB · Views: 155

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
2 hours iTunes video playback. Batter down to 'bout 40 %. Switched over to windows, 30 minutes of gaming (Arma III). Battery 15 % left.

You may have a point there, since battery life under macOS once was significantly better than under Windows. As it seems not any more

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.