Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
Still, 8 more gigs shouldn't reduce battery by hours.
I absolutely agree, it shouldn't. But a lot of the people on this thread who are complaining about 5 hour battery life have the 16GB model. I'm just throwing that out there as an asterisk for the "it's all because chrome!" people. Chrome might be a factor + brightness might be a factor + 16GB might be a factor, rather than one of those things alone.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I absolutely agree, it shouldn't. But a lot of the people on this thread who are complaining about 5 hour battery life have the 16GB model. I'm just throwing that out there as an asterisk for the "it's all because chrome!" people. Chrome might be a factor + brightness might be a factor + 16GB might be a factor, rather than one of those things alone.

That's a good point, but the size of the effect is probably pretty small. If you're heavily using the 16 GB RAM, it might make a difference of a couple watts, which would be noticeable over a day's use, but for ordinary use it's probably negligible. That extra 8 GB usually sits idle.

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
That's a good point, but the size of the effect is probably pretty small. If you're heavily using the 16 GB RAM, it might make a difference of a couple watts, which would be noticeable over a day's use, but for ordinary use it's probably negligible. That extra 8 GB usually sits idle.

I absolutely agree. It should. That's why I find the coincidence-or-correlation so alarming. This thread is full of people with 16GB machines saying "my battery is really bad!" And people with 8GB machines saying "I dunno, mine's doing okay. What are we doing differently? Must be chrome."

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Personally I'm very happy with the new model over the 2015 version. Size, speed and battery life are all good.
Can you please share your system specs?

Sadly, I'm planning to do a return of the machine today. I'm so bummed about this. I am going to give it a go with another machine. If that does not work, I'll probably return again and buy a 2015 11" MBA off ebay.

Here are two great examples of how the battery has performed for me:

3nzaJ40.png

This is from yesterday, where I used only Safari opening chrome only twice to test two URLs. This is actually probably the best battery life I have gotten since buying the machine. The green lines are when the machine is plugged in at 100% charge, the yellow are charging and the red are when the battery is running down.

You can't see it from this image but the total time before I reached ~2% battery was 6 hours and 19 minutes. Note the total on the image includes some battery time from the previous session. I was actually quite heartened by this, as I hoped it was maybe the start of a better run.

However, I did it again starting this morning:

iVqdcrO.png

I had an early start on the day. The first red line is where I started using the machine for my normal web dev and business related uses. This time it did include video conferencing for about 40 minutes. But I do that on my MBA and it does just fine. This was not an early morning gaming session.

The total time here is about 3.7 hours before it hit critical battery with the warning from the OS to plug in the machine. I know not to trust the battery calculator, but frankly every time this has happened it is usually at 10 minutes on my Battery Health tool. I have run it down to death to be sure.

This machine costs $2700. I need it to perform like a machine that costs that much. If this was getting 8 hours or within 30 mins of 8 hours regularly, I wouldn't even be posting here.
[doublepost=1486758403][/doublepost]
I absolutely agree. It should. That's why I find the coincidence-or-correlation so alarming. This thread is full of people with 16GB machines saying "my battery is really bad!" And people with 8GB machines saying "I dunno, mine's doing okay. What are we doing differently? Must be chrome."
FWIW, if there is a true correlation, this would help explain why Apple isn't offering 32GB of RAM on this series.

Last edited:

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
[doublepost=1486758403][/doublepost]
FWIW, if there is a true correlation, this would help explain why Apple isn't offering 32GB of RAM on this series.[/QUOTE]

It's enough people (on this thread, specifically 13" 16GB) that I have held off on buying the computer. And I've been following (insanely, obsessively) since day 1.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
this would help explain why Apple isn't offering 32GB of RAM on this series.

Apple has said they don't offer 32 GB because it would require using desktop RAM that uses too much power. (That's different from the issue of merely having more RAM of the kind designed for laptops, which doesn't use nearly as much extra power as using desktop RAM.)

If you're considering an MBA, why not look at the 2016 without the touch bar? It reportedly has great battery life, and I'd guess it's got more power than an MBA.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
It's enough people (on this thread, specifically 13" 16GB) that I have held off on buying the computer. And I've been following (insanely, obsessively) since day 1.

I see. Glad someone is watching the trends.
Apple has said they don't offer 32 GB because it would require using desktop RAM that uses too much power. (That's different from the issue of merely having more RAM of the kind designed for laptops, which doesn't use nearly as much extra power as using desktop RAM.)
Okay. I think I knew that, and should have thought it through before posting. I want my posts here to reflect reality as much as possible.
If you're considering an MBA, why not look at the 2016 without the touch bar? It reportedly has great battery life, and I'd guess it's got more power than an MBA.
I will have to think about that. I think the reason is you can get a 2015 8GB 256 for about $900 and I trust it more than the new MBP.

Based on what I'm hearing about the battery design issues on this version of the MBP, I'm just assuming that whatever next version that comes out is going to have the form-fitted version. I'm assuming that this is just going to perform a lot better--or at least as it was originally intended.

As a result, I figure I'll want that one. And to own a MBP now and upgrade I'll could up paying maybe up to $8-900 in lost value selling what may end up looking like a stinker release on craigslist etc. I may be overestimating depreciation here, though.

If I buy a MBA, I can keep that machine for $900 versus sort of 'leasing' a MBP.

The crazy thing about all this is I never really wanted a MBP. I wanted a more beastly, retina MBA 11". The MacBook isn't powerful enough and the MBP is big and heavy compared to the 11". I've been trying to make this compromise because Apple has basically forced my hand. I ended up liking this machine. The display is nice and I want to run dual 4k's in clamshell and replace my cinema display. It travels well, has a nice keyboard and the touchbar is occasionally useful.

It just isn't performing battery wise, and so far it is very hard to justify the price tag.
[doublepost=1486766342][/doublepost]
Can you clarify if from your observation if it is just an 8GB vs 16GB issue or if it is also a touchbar related issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanpete

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Can you please share your system specs?

Mine is 2016 13" TMBP 2.9 512 SSD 8 Gig memory Running OS X 10.12.4 Beta 2 Build 16E154a

I set the screen on auto dim, do not use keyboard lighting except when dark and not ambient lighted.

I noticed whenever WIFI is on and a signal is available the machine will use substantially more power while it is searching or downloading something. Slow Internet connections seem to keep the radio working a whole lot harder and therefore less battery time.

When using Safari I have the "Develop" menu turned on.

I also use iCloud for storage and again with a slow WIFI internet connection file transfers and syncing seem to cause greater battery drain.

Personally I'm starting to think the WIFI radio and how the OS and software interacts with it is a potential huge power hog, something the Consumer Reports article seemed to substantiate.

Reactions: macintoshmac

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Mine is 2016 13" TMBP 2.9 512 SSD 8 Gig memory Running OS X 10.12.4 Beta 2 Build 16E154a
Thanks for this and the other details.

I had planned to replace my tbMBP 13" 3.1/16/1tb machine with an exact copy, however Apple says it has no obvious hardware issues. So it may be a waste of time to stick with what does not work. I spend considerable time configuring a MacBook for various dev environments I need to participate in.

I'm curious what you guys think I should replace this machine with to try and achieve the 8-10 hours. My original purpose was to get something that would last 3 years and hold value. I also wanted to upgrade from the Cinema Display to a single 5k or dual 4ks. Hence the high specs, but now I'm more interested in something I can easily re-sell and upgrade from that just works well in the meantime.

I am considering dropping the touchbar, as I miss the esc key more than the value of the TB. And I would even drop the ram down to 8gb, though it seems like such a shame given it will never be upgradeable.

The Apple Store near me said I could still bring it in Monday for return, which is what I'm planning to do. I'm going to collect more battery data this weekend until I bring it in.

I can not help but stare at this article about how the upgraded models are already in Sierra betas, hold it up to this article by Bloomberg and speculate says to me this machine was rushed to market.

"Apple engineers wanted to use higher capacity battery packs shaped to the insides of the laptop versus the standard square cells found in most machines. The design would have boosted battery life.

In the run-up to the MacBook Pro's planned debut this year, the new battery failed a key test, according to a person familiar with the situation. Rather than delay the launch and risk missing the crucial holiday shopping season,"
The holidays do not influence my computer purchasing habits, I've been in need of a great new MacBook. It is a bummer to think that these battery problems are the result of Apple wanting computers ready for people who think gifts are a motivator to buy.

Reactions: vddobrev

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I'm curious what you guys think I should replace this machine with to try and achieve the 8-10 hours. My original purpose was to get something that would last 3 years and hold value. I also wanted to upgrade from the Cinema Display to a single 5k or dual 4ks. Hence the high specs, but now I'm more interested in something I can easily re-sell and upgrade from that just works well in the meantime.

I am considering dropping the touchbar, as I miss the esc key more than the value of the TB. And I would even drop the ram down to 8gb, though it seems like such a shame given it will never be upgradeable.

The non-TB reportedly gets the best battery life of all the new MBPs, well over ten hours for light use. Officially it will drive two 4Ks or a 5K, but I don't know how well. You already mentioned the price is an issue, so there's that.

If you want to go to 8 GB for battery life, it's not worth it. You won't notice any difference in normal use. If you can use 16, get 16. Resale value might be better with 16 too. A maxed out non-touch-bar might become a thing of desire among those who like you miss the escape key, and the other function keys. But I don't know much about how well they perform.
[doublepost=1486778292][/doublepost]

It occurs to me that those who get 8 GB may not be as picky as those who get 16.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Thanks for this and the other details.

I had planned to replace my tbMBP 13" 3.1/16/1tb machine with an exact copy, however Apple says it has no obvious hardware issues. So it may be a waste of time to stick with what does not work. I spend considerable time configuring a MacBook for various dev environments I need to participate in.

The Apple Store near me said I could still bring it in Monday for return, which is what I'm planning to do. I'm going to collect more battery data this weekend until I bring it in.

I can not help but stare at this article about how the upgraded models are already in Sierra betas, hold it up to this article by Bloomberg and speculate says to me this machine was rushed to market.

"Apple engineers wanted to use higher capacity battery packs shaped to the insides of the laptop versus the standard square cells found in most machines. The design would have boosted battery life.

In the run-up to the MacBook Pro's planned debut this year, the new battery failed a key test, according to a person familiar with the situation. Rather than delay the launch and risk missing the crucial holiday shopping season,"
The holidays do not influence my computer purchasing habits, I've been in need of a great new MacBook. It is a bummer to think that these battery problems are the result of Apple wanting computers ready for people who think gifts are a motivator to buy.
I would get the non-TB or a 2015, but the 2015 will not drive a 5K display.

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I get 6 hours on a 2012 MacBook Pro retina with 80 percent capacity. So it would suck hard to get less on a brand new machine without a dedicated gpu. Also have 16GB right now. If the battery on my new 13" is worse I'll return it and keep using the 2012 longer I guess.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
If that does not work, I'll probably return again and buy a 2015 11" MBA off ebay.

I don't think you will find the 2015 11" Air anything near what you have now.

I went from 2014 11"Air to the 2015 12" rMB and now 2016 13" and everything about the 13" is hugely improved over those past models. My current battery life alone is much better because I could hardly get 3-4 hours with the previous two while now I certainly get more.

If you are set on getting an Air I would recommend the 12" over the 11" Air for the screen quality alone. Speed, battery life are about the same and the only real negative for many is the single port on the 12".

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
The non-TB reportedly gets the best battery life of all the new MBPs, well over ten hours for light use. Officially it will drive two 4Ks or a 5K, but I don't know how well. You already mentioned the price is an issue, so there's that.

If you want to go to 8 GB for battery life, it's not worth it. You won't notice any difference in normal use. If you can use 16, get 16. Resale value might be better with 16 too. A maxed out non-touch-bar might become a thing of desire among those who like you miss the escape key, and the other function keys. But I don't know much about how well they perform.
It occurs to me that those who get 8 GB may not be as picky as those who get 16.

Price is not really an issue except in considering whether to keep a different machine or resell a MBP from this gen. Can you clarify your RAM comments? I had thought discussion here was centering around 8 vs 16gb ram impact on battery. I'd prefer 16 but if 8 is the magic number to lasting battery well I will def resell the machine this time next year.
As in, you think they are possibly also getting low battery performance but don't realize / don't report?

I get 6 hours on a 2012 MacBook Pro retina with 80 percent capacity. So it would suck hard to get less on a brand new machine without a dedicated gpu. Also have 16GB right now. If the battery on my new 13" is worse I'll return it and keep using the 2012 longer I guess.
You mentioned previously people in your area getting 6 hours plus easily on the 13". I see you have a 13" tbMBP 2.9Ghz with 512SSD and 16GB RAM. Have you been getting 8-10 hours on your machine?

I don't think you will find the 2015 11" Air anything near what you have now. If you are set on getting an Air I would recommend the 12" over the 11" Air for the screen quality alone. Speed, battery life are about the same and the only real negative for many is the single port on the 12".
I guess I'm not really set on it. I just have been relying on that model for so long I know what I'm going to get from it.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
As an update for today:

I'm just using three programs, Safari, a library of books known as "Logos" and screen set on about 70% the battery life is about 12 hours.

My 12" rMB would have been about 5-6 hours.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Can you clarify your RAM comments? I had thought discussion here was centering around 8 vs 16gb ram impact on battery. I'd prefer 16 but if 8 is the magic number to lasting battery well I will def resell the machine this time next year.

8 isn't the magic number. For ordinary tasks like browsing and watching video, half or more of the 16 GB sits idle and uses very little power, so 16 GB usually doesn't use significantly more than 8 GB. (If you actually use more than 8 GB, that will cost you a watt or two, but then you need it anyway.)

As in, you think they are possibly also getting low battery performance but don't realize / don't report?

Well, most people are getting better battery life than you are, but yes, those who don't max out their machines are probably less inclined to worry about performance of all sorts, including battery life. And probably less likely to end up at a place like this.

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City

Possibly. And possibly those who choose to pay for 16 are doing heavier tasks and burning through battery. But again, based on the anecdotal observations anecdotally observed in this thread, a lot of owners with the 8gb model are saying they're happy with their 9-10+ hours, and 16GB models are complaining about 4-6 hours. That sounds like a big difference to just not be noticing, because you're less picky. Especially since everyone on this thread came to this thread because they're picky about, or concerned about, battery life.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
And possibly those who choose to pay for 16 are doing heavier tasks and burning through battery.

Good point.

But again, based on the anecdotal observations anecdotally observed in this thread, a lot of owners with the 8gb model are saying they're happy with their 9-10+ hours, and 16GB models are complaining about 4-6 hours.

I see. I didn't see that in your earlier comments. Your point above may apply, then.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I wonder if I should just get another exact same version of this machine.

Could try that. I don't think a very clear picture of where your battery power is going ever emerged here, so it's hard to say if there's a hardware issue with your machine or if your use will get the same results on a replacement.

I don't recall if you tried some of the common things that work for some people, such as an SMC reset. There's no strong evidence there's any problem with your SMC, but it does control battery management. If you're thinking you're going to send it back anyway, then it may be worth it to try first:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
For the sake of it, which battery manufacturer and how old, with respect to laptop? I have a Simplo make battery made on 23 October 2016, laptop manufactured 31 October 2016. Battery life is decent, 5 hours up, battery down 40-50%, maybe some times 60%. tbMBP 2016 13" base with 10.12.3 release version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.