Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IsaiahL

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
I'm on iOS 10.0.2 and I'm still having battery problems. Just because people don't keep on posting, doesn't mean their problems have been solved. I stopped posting because there's really no point. There is no obvious solution.

Update your phone. That's the obvious solution.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Update your phone. That's the obvious solution.
That's certainly worth a try for sure ..but it may not be the solution unfortunately for some
[doublepost=1477907705][/doublepost]
I'm holding back on updating because it might make things worse.
I don't think 10.1 will be worse than 10.0.2 from my own experience updating on a 5s and a 7 but it may not fix your problems either.

Reactions: dianp

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
People posting battery starts of iPhone 7 or 7+ make me laugh. Of course your battery will be the best because Apple doomed other devices with iOS 10 :) really there is no point of posting your stats - people like me who stay on 9.3.5 are curious how iOS 10 changes - good or bad way. For sure it's not as good as 9.3.5 now. Animations are faster so you judge that whole update is great. Fine but your battery also drain faster because of "features" you can't disable

imex99

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Ohio
iphone 7 plus?

Yes, 5 email accounts syncing and no restrictions on background sync, etc...I just use my phone and use it all day!

Best smart phone battery I've ever had! From the HTC EVO, nexus 5/6/6p, S7 Edge and now iPhone 7+.

This is my first iPhone to use full time and really enjoy it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
People posting battery starts of iPhone 7 or 7+ make me laugh. Of course your battery will be the best because Apple doomed other devices with iOS 10 :) really there is no point of posting your stats - people like me who stay on 9.3.5 are curious how iOS 10 changes - good or bad way. For sure it's not as good as 9.3.5 now. Animations are faster so you judge that whole update is great. Fine but your battery also drain faster because of "features" you can't disable
Yes, the other devices are "doomed" with iOS 10...right.

Roque1128

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011

I'm not having any issues on 10.1 with 6s Plus. I'm getting over 8-9 hours of usage with over 26 hours of standby. I guess everything is case by case and how you use your phone. I consider myself a pretty heavy user, and some days are better than others lol.

SamVilde

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
New York City
Was moderately happy with my battery yesterday, which did 9.5h of activity over almost 2 days of standby use. Got down to 1%, plugged it in, went to sleep, woke up, came to work, put phone on shelf.

Phone has been actively doing something while on shelf, dropped from 100% to 79% over two hours of sitting on shelf. Battery stats in settings say "safari audio" has been working non-stop. I am not using Safari audio (what is that?). Between waking up (100%) and checking phone (79%) I have not used Safari at all - I did not start something which is left playing on a loop.

What is that????

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I was one of the people who went back to iOS 9.3.5 to see if it would get better battery life. To some extent, I did, but, it wasn't as much as I thought. Both OS' were set up as new, and not restored from backups, so it's as fair as possible. Usage time on 9.3.5 was around 30 mins more than 10.0.2. Not a whole lot better. I was getting around 7 hours of usage on 10.0.2. With 9.3.5, I was getting around 7 hours and 20 mins. For all the new features you get with iOS 10, 20 mins seem like a fair price. If you're experiencing FAR worse battery life on 10.0.2 compared to 9.3.5, then try setting it up as a new iPhone. I always set up my phones as new. Never restore from backups.

roneylirio

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
Was moderately happy with my battery yesterday, which did 9.5h of activity over almost 2 days of standby use. Got down to 1%, plugged it in, went to sleep, woke up, came to work, put phone on shelf.

Phone has been actively doing something while on shelf, dropped from 100% to 79% over two hours of sitting on shelf. Battery stats in settings say "safari audio" has been working non-stop. I am not using Safari audio (what is that?). Between waking up (100%) and checking phone (79%) I have not used Safari at all - I did not start something which is left playing on a loop.

What is that????
mine is also happening this, the battery is drained by audio Safari

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I've officially confirmed that my 6S Plus battery issues are simply due to all the crap iOS 10 constantly runs in the background. The other night I went to sleep and my phone had drained 20% by morning. The good news is I think I've found a solution that works for me: low power + airplane mode.

For my usage, low power mode has never impacted speed or performance, so I'll just leave it on. And when I'm done using my phone and know it'll be sitting idle for extended periods of time (as it often does), airplane mode is going on. All my messages still go to my other devices, and most of the calls I get can be returned later.

Right now I'm looking at 5 hours and 47 minutes of usage (which may still be a little inflated) and 49 hours and 11 minutes of standby with 62% battery remaining.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've officially confirmed that my 6S Plus battery issues are simply due to all the crap iOS 10 constantly runs in the background. The other night I went to sleep and my phone had drained 20% by morning. The good news is I think I've found a solution that works for me: low power + airplane mode.

For my usage, low power mode has never impacted speed or performance, so I'll just leave it on. And when I'm done using my phone and know it'll be sitting idle for extended periods of time (as it often does), airplane mode is going on. All my messages still go to my other devices, and most of the calls I get can be returned later.

Right now I'm looking at 5 hours and 47 minutes of usage (which may still be a little inflated) and 49 hours and 11 minutes of standby with 62% battery remaining.
If it's due to iOS 10 running things, why aren't many others with iOS 10 seeing the same type of battery drain?

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
If it's due to iOS 10 running things, why aren't many others with iOS 10 seeing the same type of battery drain?

I can't speak for everyone else, but what else would it be but background processes when my phone is simply "sitting on the shelf" draining 20-30% in 8 hours and has even gone dead overnight. For the record, low power mode on its own didn't solve the standby drain, and this is my first cycle using airplane mode when idle, but this seems to be the fix I needed until Apple hopefully addresses it with an update.

Last edited:

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
iOS 10 does a lot more stuff in the background than prior versions. The whole "Siri" experience where it recommends apps, places to go, etc requires processing time. Not to mention the CPU time it takes to index all the search data and photo memories.

It's supposed to do a lot of those things when the phone is plugged in overnight. If the phone isn't plugged in often it will likely start doing them when the phone isn't charging. That will drain the battery.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
My wife's 6s, and my father in law and brother in laws phones (either 6 or 6s - not totally sure) are all on iOS 10 and suffer from having the phone shut down at 40% or some other night battery level. Then they plus it in and henphone powers up back to where it was before it shut down. The all use Verizon. Anyone with this same problem use Verizon?

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
My wife's 6s, and my father in law and brother in laws phones (either 6 or 6s - not totally sure) are all on iOS 10 and suffer from having the phone shut down at 40% or some other night battery level. Then they plus it in and henphone powers up back to where it was before it shut down. The all use Verizon. Anyone with this same problem use Verizon?

My mother mentioned experiencing this same issue with her 6S a couple days ago, saying when she turned her phone back on it was at 30%. She's with a different carrier, though.

Well..I think I'm about to charge my phone and download the next beta. This is the best cycle I've had since iOS 9.

IMG_8839.PNG

Airplane mode will definitely be used more often (especially when I'm sleeping) until these standby drain issues are solved.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
My mother mentioned experiencing this same issue with her 6S a couple days ago, saying when she turned her phone back on it was at 30%. She's with a different carrier, though.

Well..I think I'm about to charge my phone and download the next beta. This is the best cycle I've had since iOS 9.

View attachment 669539

Airplane mode will definitely be used more often (especially when I'm sleeping) until these standby drain issues are solved.
Airplane mode at night is a must (even while you charge) for me personally and you can probably also improve your battery life even more disabling some of the system services (if you didn't do that already) and some other stuff, which I found out to improve battery life and which is not needed at all.

I explained it in the iPhone 7 battery life thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-7-battery-life.2000318/page-13#post-23831957

Standby drainage is the single most important thing you have to manage, and apart from the super useful low-power mode (which I still am wondering why Apple disables it at 80% charge, when it effectively preserves my battery and prolongs my device's life) you cannot do anything about SoC usage under medium to heavy use. Standby when completely idle (no user input) will define how much battery life you will get out of your iPhone, nothing else.

I always recommend to people that when you have good battery life with a specific iOS release and specific settings, then you should use that as a base and do a reference backup and preserve that state as long as possible and that has never failed me personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: CE3

IsaiahL

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
Why don't you guys just drain your batteries before you go to sleep so it can charge over night. Every night I got to sleep with my phone 20% or below. Then I just plug it in and go to sleep. Simple. Standby drain overnight solved. And don't think you're gonna "expand" your battery. The iPhone is intelligent enough to know when to stop receiving power.

Reactions: imex99

roneylirio

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
here iphone 7 plus battery is a drug, boot shot and 6:30 pm and at noon, the battery is 80 and the cell is stopped.

Someone noticed that Safari is spending more battery than normal

IsaiahL

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
10.1.1 Battery Life update

aa6f12367eb4ab2694d178cfbfa83b4a.png

Doing pretty good so far. Noticing minimal Standby battery drain. I told you guys I leave my phone charging overnight. I turned over @ 5:15 and unplugged my phone. Woke up @ 6:30 and it was still @ 100%. On 10.1 I would've lost about 3%. Mind you have I have the sleep cycle app running in the back so to not see any drain @ all is an improvement in my book.

roneylirio

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
10.1.1 Battery Life update

aa6f12367eb4ab2694d178cfbfa83b4a.png

Doing pretty good so far. Noticing minimal Standby battery drain. I told you guys I leave my phone charging overnight. I turned over @ 5:15 and unplugged my phone. Woke up @ 6:30 and it was still @ 100%. On 10.1 I would've lost about 3%. Mind you have I have the sleep cycle app running in the back so to not see any drain @ all is an improvement in my book.
your iphone is normal or Plus?

I leave carrying all night, but the battery is despecando from 100% to 85% in a matter of three hours with 1 hour of use

I have an iphone 7+

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.