Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loicfc

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
Paris
Hello DaleTheRave and others with the problem of iPhone shutting itself about 30% of battery remaining.

Go to the nearest Apple Store and have it replaced, why I am saying that? Because like you I had this problem on my 6S. I thought it was software related, so I restored it, set up as new phone. I tried almost everything but it was the same. About 20 to 30% the iPhone was shutting down. When I tried to restart I could type my passcode, then the sim passcode and right after that it was shutting itself down again. After 20min or so sometimes it was restarting and I was able to use it until 1%. During the normal use sometimes it was jumping from % to % like staying at 70% for 10min during browsing then 69% for a minute or so and then 68%. I went to the Louvre's Apple Store in Paris (I'm French) and the Genius made a diagnostic and I got it replaced. He told me the battery is fine, it's more likely to be the mother board.

Anyway it's a hardware issue, so got it replaced. The funny thing before I had a 6S with Samsung chipset, now it's a TSMC one. The phone doesn't become hot as before and in normal use 1-1/2 to 2 days of battery life, if I don't use it so much 3 days. If I use it from morning to evening it's hard to have it drop to 20%.

yungskeeme

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Happy with my 7+ Plus so far. I've had it for a week now. Think the most I've gotten in 24 hrs is 10 hours of usage. Haven't charged my office since Monday night and here are my stats.

4b32e188f0ba4ddf0f3a624f8e039ab6.png
232370f9f7de420af10533550153a793.png

dianp

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
São Paulo, Brazil
Hello DaleTheRave and others with the problem of iPhone shutting itself about 30% of battery remaining.

Go to the nearest Apple Store and have it replaced, why I am saying that? Because like you I had this problem on my 6S. I thought it was software related, so I restored it, set up as new phone. I tried almost everything but it was the same. About 20 to 30% the iPhone was shutting down. When I tried to restart I could type my passcode, then the sim passcode and right after that it was shutting itself down again. After 20min or so sometimes it was restarting and I was able to use it until 1%. During the normal use sometimes it was jumping from % to % like staying at 70% for 10min during browsing then 69% for a minute or so and then 68%. I went to the Louvre's Apple Store in Paris (I'm French) and the Genius made a diagnostic and I got it replaced. He told me the battery is fine, it's more likely to be the mother board.

Anyway it's a hardware issue, so got it replaced. The funny thing before I had a 6S with Samsung chipset, now it's a TSMC one. The phone doesn't become hot as before and in normal use 1-1/2 to 2 days of battery life, if I don't use it so much 3 days. If I use it from morning to evening it's hard to have it drop to 20%.

I've tried this with my iPhone 6S.
I visited the apple store and also sent my iPhone to the assistance / warranty, but the apple has not replaced it.
Apple sent me back my iPhone and said that the 'iPhone is ok'.
My iPhone 6S has the same issue > the battery lasts less than 6 hours of use! (even in low power mode!!)
The issue can only be software, because there are many people with the same issue on iOS 10.
But the strange thing is that this issue seems to hit more iPhone 6S. Search on twitter for "iOS 10 battery"...

loicfc

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
Paris
I've tried this with my iPhone 6S.
I visited the apple store and also sent my iPhone to the assistance / warranty, but the apple has not replaced it.
Apple sent me back my iPhone and said that the 'iPhone is ok'.
My iPhone 6S has the same issue > the battery lasts less than 6 hours of use! (even in low power mode!!)
The issue can only be software, because there are many people with the same issue on iOS 10.
But the strange thing is that this issue seems to hit more iPhone 6S. Search on twitter for "iOS 10 battery"...

You should ask them to test it more carefully, cause they replaced mine and from this day no more issue ;) I can really use it without fear of being out of battery. The guy made a test "not in front of me" and came back telling me "we will replace it" but the battery was fine in the diagnosis. Then he showed me something in diagnostics&usage, "lowpower" was there many times. On his iPad he saw "3 shutdowns issues" etc.

Reactions: dianp

IsaiahL

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2014
sorry, I'm from Brazil and my English is not good, I'm using google translator.

I leave my iphone 7 plus carrying all night.

images showing my cell phone use

That's on par with what I'm seeing with overnight charging. I didn't over night charge and I woke up with 80% because of my sleep app which recommends that you leave it charging.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003

Thanks for the reply. I now have a coworker who is complaining that her 6s is having the same problem. I find it hard to believe that Apple isn't aware of the problem, even if they are not acknowledging it right now.

masciam

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
7+ here on 10.1.1 and my battery life is phenomenal. I have close to 0 battery drain on standby. I unplugged this morning at 8AM and when I unlocked my phone at 11AM it went from 100 to 99%.

Attachments

• IMG_8427.PNG
    IMG_8427.PNG
    564.5 KB · Views: 228

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
7+ here on 10.1.1 and my battery life is phenomenal. I have close to 0 battery drain on standby. I unplugged this morning at 8AM and when I unlocked my phone at 11AM it went from 100 to 99%.

You can't go by the 100-99% as it is not representative of how your battery is. Just look at my iP7 screenshot below.

IMG_0151.PNG

And after a full charge today.

Attachments

• IMG_0239.PNG
    IMG_0239.PNG
    269.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Reactions: Nisaja

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
10.1.1 on iPhone 6 and the battery life is MUCH improved over 10.0.1

My phone was draining so hard after the 10 update that I had to keep a charger with me at work for a full midday charge. Now I finish out the day's average use at about 40-50% battery (where 10.0.1 saw me draining the battery nearly twice in a single day).

Reactions: dianp and IsaiahL

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
As if what would make a difference or could make things worse?
Resetting settings. Why it could in fact make things worse is - take for example you has set location services to "never" for some apps. or you had set background refresh off for some apps. now after resetting settings, those values will be set to the default state, which may be contrary to what you set manually. hence may actually harm battery life.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Resetting settings. Why it could in fact make things worse is - take for example you has set location services to "never" for some apps. or you had set background refresh off for some apps. now after resetting settings, those values will be set to the default state, which may be contrary to what you set manually. hence may actually harm battery life.
Well, surely you'd review settings to set them the way you want to after resetting them, that's kind of part of the point. So that part of it is kind of neither here nor there.

As for resetting settings itself, while it might not always make a difference, it's certainly worth trying if someone is experiencing some issues, if some simpler things have been tried unsuccessfully. There's a decent enough chance it can help, and it's simpler than a full restore (which might still be something to go with if the settings reset doesn't help).

Reactions: JemTheWire

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Well, surely you'd review settings to set them the way you want to after resetting them, that's kind of part of the point.

haha..ideally yes. However, most non-tech minded people don't. Most believe that just resetting settings somehow works magic. or that dragging the app out of the MRU list in ios is same as stopping it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
haha..ideally yes. However, most non-tech minded people don't. Most believe that just resetting settings somehow works magic. or that dragging the app out of the MRU list in ios is same as stopping it.
I think most people that actually go down the route of resetting settings have a decent understanding that they would need to set up their settings again as they would be reset. As for closing the app from the app switcher, that generally does stop the app from running.

Reactions: dianp and XT550

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Just a thought could the SIM card be the cause of standby battery drain?

Quite a few links come up on google about battery drain after swapping/changing SIM cards or the other way round fixing the problem after a swap .. mainly android but some are older iPhone posts too from years ago!

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
I think most people that actually go down the route of resetting settings have a decent understanding that they would need to set up their settings again as they would be reset. As for closing the app from the app switcher, that generally does stop the app from running.

It stops the app from running if it is running yes. But the apps in that list are not necessarily running. you have people say "I closed all apps from app switcher" - which doesn't make any sense.

TheDoubler55

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2011
It stops the app from running if it is running yes. But the apps in that list are not necessarily running. you have people say "I closed all apps from app switcher" - which doesn't make any sense.
I am getting about 8 hrs usage on my 7+, pretty impressed.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
10.1.1 on iPhone 6 and the battery life is MUCH improved over 10.0.1

My phone was draining so hard after the 10 update that I had to keep a charger with me at work for a full midday charge. Now I finish out the day's average use at about 40-50% battery (where 10.0.1 saw me draining the battery nearly twice in a single day).

Interesting, i would love to give it a try but once installed it there's no go back to 9.3.5.....i'm on a 6s though.

OGPrince

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2016
Florida, USA
I have a 7 and after moderate to heavy usage on my 1st cycle I have 6 hours and 30 min of screen with 40% of battery left. I'm on 10.1.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.