Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Well it's not that bad but I have a lot of things disabled and low power mode was in use half the time but maybe I just got a better battery than what normally comes in the 7
yours is decent but the other iPhone 7 we have here will do 9 hours+ usage and 50 hours standby from a full charge. (This is roughly how it should be if it's not faulty either software or hardware)

This phone would do 9 hours usage if it didn't lose 2% per hour on standby idling (which nothing can prevent it seems)

OGPrince

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2016
Florida, USA
yours is decent but the other iPhone 7 we have here will do 9 hours+ usage and 50 hours standby from a full charge. (This is roughly how it should be if it's not faulty either software or hardware)

This phone would do 9 hours usage if it didn't lose 2% per hour on standby idling (which nothing can prevent it seems)
Wow I've pretty much only seen those numbers on the plus models

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Wow I've pretty much only seen those numbers on the plus models

It looks like yours could come close with ideal conditions ;)

I'm going to try another SIM card in this one with the standby drain issue .. just a hunch I've got ., cus there's absolutely no reason it should be draining idle and battery is fine when I'm actually using it.

OGPrince

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2016
Florida, USA
It looks like yours could come close with ideal conditions ;)

I'm going to try another SIM card in this one with the standby drain issue .. just a hunch I've got ., cus there's absolutely no reason it should be draining idle and battery is fine when I'm actually using it.
Try putting it in airplane mode and low power mode while in standby

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Try putting it in airplane mode and low power mode while in standby
Tried this no difference 2% per hour drop

DFU restore set up as new phone no change

Turn everything off you can possibly think of no change

But if the battery was faulty wouldn't it drop quicker while I'm actually using it too? But it competes with the super 7 we have here when the screens on so it's quite perplexing why it drains on idle for no reason. It's either faulty hardware somewhere in the phone or the SIM card now, that's all that's left. When you eliminate everything whatsevers left is the answer no matter how improbable.

OGPrince

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2016
Florida, USA
Tried this no difference 2% per hour drop

DFU restore set up as new phone no change

Turn everything off you can possibly think of no change

But if the battery was faulty wouldn't it drop quicker while I'm actually using it too? But it competes with the super 7 we have here when the screens on so it's quite perplexing why it drains on idle for no reason. It's either faulty hardware somewhere in the phone or the SIM card now, that's all that's left. When you eliminate everything whatsevers left is the answer no matter how improbable.
Man that's pretty tricky, yeah it might be the modem as well which may be causing a issue or the CPU isn't switching on the lower power cores as much

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Man that's pretty tricky, yeah it might be the modem as well which may be causing a issue or the CPU isn't switching on the lower power cores as much
I did consider the cpu being faulty and not switching down yes

As you can see though with screen on time it works how it should
IMG_0012.PNG

That 2 hours 15 mins is pretty much all screen on time .. the battery only falls down on standby/idle

OGPrince

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2016
Florida, USA
I did consider the cpu being faulty and not switching down yes

As you can see though with screen on time it works how it should
View attachment 670506
That 2 hours 15 mins is pretty much all screen on time .. the battery only falls down on standby/idle
Depends how much of that was in airplane mode? Usage time certainly looks very good ..your on for 10 hours + there out of a full battery .. nice!
well I put it in airplane mode around 50 same with low power mode.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
well I put it in airplane mode around 50 same with low power mode.
If you want to test standby drain leave it switched on (not in airplane mode) with a decent cellular signal (connected to wifi though if you wish) over night while your asleep and see how many % the battery drops.
This one drops around 12 - 15% over night idle .. the one that works correctly drops 3 or 4%
I reckon yours looks ok

OGPrince

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2016
Florida, USA
If you want to test standby drain leave it switched on (not in airplane mode) with a decent cellular signal (connected to wifi though if you wish) over night while your asleep and see how many % the battery drops.
This one drops around 12 - 15% over night idle .. the one that works correctly drops 3 or 4%
I reckon yours looks ok
I'll test it tonight and report back

zosokm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
My 6 plus shows erratic battery readings . There will be a sudden drop from 50 to 30% and I start gettting worried that the phone will lose charge soon but then it will stay at 30% for several hours . Sometimes the charge drops down to 10% and when I plug into the charger it will immediately jump by 20%. I have tried to run the battery down to zero and recharge and also set up the phone as new . Even though my charge runs through the day - the readings are rather erratic and not sure wheat to trust

OGPrince

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2016
Florida, USA
I reckon yours looks ok
I only lost 4% leaving it from 11-7

Second

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2016
Usually I can get 2 days on a charge on my iPhone 6, now im at 30% at the end of the day.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Superb .. this is the best I can do with my launch day rotten apple
View attachment 670488

Can you show the apps that used the most power in your next full drain? Some are more demanding than others and some may be inefficient (like Facebook was for ages but I see you have low usage on that).

I'm satisfied with my 7 but I've only done a couple of full drains. I'm going to try again just for curiosity.

Last edited:

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Can you show the most used apps in your next full drain? Some are more demanding than others and some may be inefficient (like Facebook was for ages but I see you have low usage on that).

I'm satisfied with my 7 but I've only done a couple of full drains. I'm going to try again just for curiosity.
IMG_0016.PNG

That's my current drain .. safari is top of the list but that is actual screen on time no background. There's enough battery left to get way over 8 hours usage (this doesnt go up much really with the screen off) out of it .. but I need to charge it now for work later.

I've tried uninstalling Facebook and messenger and using the website instead but I didn't notice any difference at all and as you can see it's not showing that much background activity for it really.

TBH I think my battery is pretty decent considering it strangely drains 2% per hour idle, as it's still capable of over 8 hours usage in a full day. I reckon it would do 10 without the drain issue. When I get chance I'm gunna try a different SIM card out of curiosity .. it's either the sim or a faulty part in the phone now.

Reactions: dianp

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
View attachment 670625
That's my current drain .. safari is top of the list but that is actual screen on time no background. There's enough battery left to get way over 8 hours usage (this doesnt go up much really with the screen off) out of it .. but I need to charge it now for work later.

I've tried uninstalling Facebook and messenger and using the website instead but I didn't notice any difference at all and as you can see it's not showing that much background activity for it really.

TBH I think my battery is pretty decent considering it strangely drains 2% per hour idle, as it's still capable of over 8 hours usage in a full day. I reckon it would do 10 without the drain issue. When I get chance I'm gunna try a different SIM card out of curiosity .. it's either the sim or a faulty part in the phone now.

That idle drain is a problem but likely software I'm guessing. Apple knows batteries pretty well.

Just out of interest, are you using any Safari content blockers and if so how many/which ones?

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
That idle drain is a problem but likely software I'm guessing. Apple knows batteries pretty well.

Just out of interest, are you using any Safari content blockers and if so how many/which ones?

Do Apple/subsidiary make batteries?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.