Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
That idle drain is a problem but likely software I'm guessing. Apple knows batteries pretty well.

Just out of interest, are you using any Safari content blockers and if so how many/which ones?

No content blockers at all only the built in safari settings to block pop ups etc.
I really think it's hardware related now .. but not the actual battery as that drains slow when I'm using the phone doing something

DFU restore set up as new made no difference, no difference with 10.0.2, 10.0.3, 10.1, 10.1.1 and now 10.2 beta 1 .. 2% per hour idle standby drain average.

I'll try another SIM card when I get chance as that's the only thing left to rule out now other than a faulty part in the phone such as cpu not powering Down To the low power cores when idle enough or faulty modem or something drawing too much power.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Instead of using the Apple Music app, I used Spotify to listen to music today. I have gotten better battery life thus far listening to streaming music, versus music that is already on my iPhone 6 with the Apple app. Will test again this week and see if I get the same kind of results. I have a feeling, that the main culprit of my battery drain when playing music on the phone is the Apple app, which seems to drain my battery in 3.5 - 4 hours max.

finnbar

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
Nantes, France
Hello DaleTheRave and others with the problem of iPhone shutting itself about 30% of battery remaining.

Go to the nearest Apple Store and have it replaced, why I am saying that? Because like you I had this problem on my 6S. I thought it was software related, so I restored it, set up as new phone. I tried almost everything but it was the same. About 20 to 30% the iPhone was shutting down. When I tried to restart I could type my passcode, then the sim passcode and right after that it was shutting itself down again. After 20min or so sometimes it was restarting and I was able to use it until 1%. During the normal use sometimes it was jumping from % to % like staying at 70% for 10min during browsing then 69% for a minute or so and then 68%. I went to the Louvre's Apple Store in Paris (I'm French) and the Genius made a diagnostic and I got it replaced. He told me the battery is fine, it's more likely to be the mother board.

Anyway it's a hardware issue, so got it replaced. The funny thing before I had a 6S with Samsung chipset, now it's a TSMC one. The phone doesn't become hot as before and in normal use 1-1/2 to 2 days of battery life, if I don't use it so much 3 days. If I use it from morning to evening it's hard to have it drop to 20%.

Hi, I would not be so sure this is a hardware issue : ever since I have installed iOS 10 on my iPhone 6S, battery is random - it shut's off at 50%, or 38% or 5% just randomly. I have done a hard reset, restore as new and ofcourse done all the updates (iOS 10.1.1 currently) but the problem is still there. Why would I say that this is not a hardware issue ? Well my partner has an iPhone 5C with the exact same issue and both my parents have also the same issue with their iPhone 6...Would be a bit weird if all 4 iPhones have the exact same hardware issue that coincides with the latest iOS update. Don't really know what to do though, none of the phones have Apple Care + but I mean they're only 1 to 2 years old...
[doublepost=1478511142][/doublepost]Hi everyone,
As I had replied to an earlier post, my iPhone 6S, my wife's iPhone 5C and my parent's iPhone 6 all have the same battery issue : the phone randomly power's off and indicates it needs charging.
Some people indicate that this is a hardware issue but as all the phones around me are affected, this seems to not be hardware related. I have done a hard reset, restore as new and updated to iOS 10.1.1 but the issue is still there.
I then decided to contact Apple, and one of their advisors confirmed to me that this is a known issue and that their engineers are working on an update to address this within the next couple of days (hereby attached the chat in French):

"iOS advisor" : "this is a bug related to iOS 10, our enginners are working on an update that will soon be available";
"iOS advisor" : "this is a know issue, our engineers are working on it, there will be an update within a couple of days/weeks to solve this problem".

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2016-11-07 à 10.31.32.png
    Capture d’écran 2016-11-07 à 10.31.32.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 188
Reactions: simonmet and dianp

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
No content blockers at all only the built in safari settings to block pop ups etc.
I really think it's hardware related now .. but not the actual battery as that drains slow when I'm using the phone doing something

DFU restore set up as new made no difference, no difference with 10.0.2, 10.0.3, 10.1, 10.1.1 and now 10.2 beta 1 .. 2% per hour idle standby drain average.

I'll try another SIM card when I get chance as that's the only thing left to rule out now other than a faulty part in the phone such as cpu not powering Down To the low power cores when idle enough or faulty modem or something drawing too much power.

This is really strange. For the record, I just did a brief test on my 7 with 10.1.1 and after 4 hours of standby it's still on 100%. I'll post back again (or update post) but I'm guessing after 8 hours it won't have used more than 1% on standby if that.

But I do disable a few things, not because I feel I have to to save battery like on the 5s, but because I simply don't use them. For example, I disabled motion and fitness tracking. I also disable as many location services as I don't need or want (particularly the advertising-related ones) and I haven't enabled "Hey Siri" yet. I do have background apps enabled (and all apps on) but I don't have Facebooks. Does Facebook have access to your location? If so, perhaps try disabling location services for that app.

Try disabling the things I've mentioned above and see if it makes a difference. The problem you'll find is Apple will have a hard time confirming or diagnosing this issue and my gut feeling is that it isn't a hardware fault. There are just too many software things that can cause this. The best method would be to disable as much as you can and see if it makes a difference. If it does, then selectively re-enable features (or apps) until you identify the culprit. I'm sceptical of Facebook because of the problems they've had with battery life in the past.

I'll post a full list of my settings later but I don't want to interrupt the test by playing with the phone too much right now.

The other thing I did (and I recommend for all new phone owners) is I did at least two drains to shutdown from full charge to help calibrate the software. If you haven't done this then maybe the calibration is out of whack, but that seems unlikely in your case since you say the problem is only with idle drain and not regular use.

Finally, when your phone is idling, are you walking around and looking at the screen a lot because I know the home screen does turn on from time to time because of the raise-to-wake feature, which can be disabled in Settings.

Edit: So after nearly 11.5 hours of standby it did even better than expected and was still sitting on 100%!

Attachments

• Battery life@2x.png
    Battery life@2x.png
    244.9 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
This is really strange. For the record, I just did a brief test on my 7 with 10.1.1 and after 4 hours of standby it's still on 100%. I'll post back again (or update post) but I'm guessing after 8 hours it won't have used more than 1% on standby if that.

But I do disable a few things, not because I feel I have to to save battery like on the 5s, but because I simply don't use them. For example, I disabled motion and fitness tracking. I also disable as many location services as I don't need or want (particularly the advertising-related ones) and I haven't enabled "Hey Siri" yet. I do have background apps enabled (and all apps on) but I don't have Facebooks. Does Facebook have access to your location? If so, perhaps try disabling location services for that app.

Try disabling the things I've mentioned above and see if it makes a difference. The problem you'll find is Apple will have a hard time confirming or diagnosing this issue and my gut feeling is that it isn't a hardware fault. There are just too many software things that can cause this. The best method would be to disable as much as you can and see if it makes a difference. If it does, then selectively re-enable features (or apps) until you identify the culprit. I'm sceptical of Facebook because of the problems they've had with battery life in the past.

I'll post a full list of my settings later but I don't want to interrupt the test by playing with the phone too much right now.

The other thing I did (and I recommend for all new phone owners) is I did at least two drains to shutdown from full charge to help calibrate the software. If you haven't done this then maybe the calibration is out of whack, but that seems unlikely in your case since you say the problem is only with idle drain and not regular use.

Finally, when your phone is idling, are you walking around and looking at the screen a lot because I know the home screen does turn on from time to time because of the raise-to-wake feature, which can be disabled in Settings.

Edit: So after nearly 11.5 hours of standby it did even better than expected and was still sitting on 100%!

Thanks for that,
I already disable a lot of the stuff you have, motion and fitness tracking is off, Handoff is off, Location services is disabled for most stuff, only find my phone under system is on and a few apps that need to be are set to while using such as maps, yahoo weather etc. Background app refresh is currently off completely while I trouble shoot (usually I have it on for selected apps), raise to wake is off (don't like that), Siri is enabled but 'Hey Siri' is currently off. Facebook doesn't seem to be causing any problems, as I mentioned before I uninstalled it along with messenger just to test and nothing changed at all really, there doesn't seem to be excessive background activity and standby drain is identical with or without it.

I've had the phone since launch day and probably done 4 or 5 full drains, none since I installed 10.2 beta 1 last week though, I think around 5% is as low as I've let it get.

Its puzzling because my old 5s is set up exactly the same with the same apps installed on ios 10 yet with 29% battery wear (shown in battery life app) it only drains about 3% over night where the iphone 7 drains about 15%. However the iphone 7 battery is considerably better.. 1 hour solid safari browsing and it might drop 10% where the 5s would drop at least 15% with its smaller worn battery!

Cheers

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Thanks for that,
I already disable a lot of the stuff you have, motion and fitness tracking is off, Handoff is off, Location services is disabled for most stuff, only find my phone under system is on and a few apps that need to be are set to while using such as maps, yahoo weather etc. Background app refresh is currently off completely while I trouble shoot (usually I have it on for selected apps), raise to wake is off (don't like that), Siri is enabled but 'Hey Siri' is currently off. Facebook doesn't seem to be causing any problems, as I mentioned before I uninstalled it along with messenger just to test and nothing changed at all really, there doesn't seem to be excessive background activity and standby drain is identical with or without it.

I've had the phone since launch day and probably done 4 or 5 full drains, none since I installed 10.2 beta 1 last week though, I think around 5% is as low as I've let it get.

Its puzzling because my old 5s is set up exactly the same with the same apps installed on ios 10 yet with 29% battery wear (shown in battery life app) it only drains about 3% over night where the iphone 7 drains about 15%. However the iphone 7 battery is considerably better.. 1 hour solid safari browsing and it might drop 10% where the 5s would drop at least 15% with its smaller worn battery!

Cheers

Then I don't really know where to go from here as you seem to be doing a good job trying to diagnose the issue yourself. A couple of things you might like to try (if you haven't already but you probably have) is to completely erase the phone and choose the set up as new phone option rather than restoring from an iCloud or iTunes backup. Go through the set up steps until the home screen appears, charge it full then do another idle-power-draw test (hint, don't log in to iCloud or iTunes/App Store during the setup to rule out anything Apple service-related too). You don't have a big photo library that it's uploading or lots of out-of-date apps that it's uploading/updating in the background?

If the problem still exists when doing that I would suggest booking a Genius Bar appointment. Demonstrate to them that you've completely erased the phone, then leave it with them for a couple of hours. Come back and if it's drained a significant amount of power on stand-by you must have a broken phone.

I'm very surprised but who knows, if you got an early-batch A10 maybe they had some issues and you were unlucky enough to get a dud.

Last edited:

bls550

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2016
France
Please deano1972 keep us posted. I'm having the same issue on a iPhone 7 128gb bought on release day. Battery is draining between 2 to 3% per hour in standby, and I haven't been able to identify the culprit. Even in standard usage, I've noticed that my 2y old iPhone 6 lasts much more. Phone was set up as new and is currently running ios 10.1.1.

Edit: what encourages me to think that the problem is hardware-related is that Instruments (Xcode Mac App) shows nothing abnormal when listening to the phone in standby mode.

Last edited:

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Then I don't really know where to go from here as you seem to be doing a good job trying to diagnose the issue yourself. A couple of things you might like to try (if you haven't already but you probably have) is to completely erase the phone and choose the set up as new phone option rather than restoring from an iCloud or iTunes backup. Go through the set up steps until the home screen appears, charge it full then do another idle-power-draw test (hint, don't log in to iCloud or iTunes/App Store during the setup to rule out anything Apple service-related too). You don't have a big photo library that it's uploading or lots of out-of-date apps that it's uploading/updating in the background?

If the problem still exists when doing that I would suggest booking a Genius Bar appointment. Demonstrate to them that you've completely erased the phone, then leave it with them for a couple of hours. Come back and if it's drained a significant amount of power on stand-by you must have a broken phone.

I'm very surprised but who knows, if you got an early-batch A10 maybe they had some issues and you were unlucky enough to get a dud.
I originally set the phone up from a back up of my 5s and thought that was the problem so to be absolutely sure I did a DFU restore set up as new a couple of weeks ago .. right pain in the ass and time consuming having to go through everything getting the phone set up exactly the way I like it again and sadly it made no difference at all. I've also tried logging out of iCloud and iTunes and running it with no account with no difference to standby drain. This is why I'm starting to think it could be a launch day rotten apple with a faulty part drawing too much power when it should be idle rather than software related. If the battery wasn't so good when I'm actually using the phone doing something (which kind of masks the problem as I get a full day out if it) I'd have sent it back to apple by now. Would telephone support do a swap do you think? as it's very difficult for me to find time to get to an Apple Store due to work and distance from nearest store.

There are a few more things I'm gunna try though and I'll report back if anything works

Cheers
[doublepost=1478602158][/doublepost]
Please deano1972 keep us posted. I'm having the same issue on a iPhone 7 128gb bought on release day. Battery is draining between 2 to 3% per hour in standby, and I haven't been able to identify the culprit. Even in standard usage, I've noticed that my 2y old iPhone 6 lasts much more. Phone was set up as new and is currently running ios 10.1.1.

Edit: what encourages me to think that the problem is hardware-related is that Instruments (Xcode Mac App) shows nothing abnormal when listening to the phone in standby mode.

Sorry to hear that. Does your battery do well while actually using the phone to do something? Mine is excellent while I'm using the phone and drains slowly exactly how it should do ..it's just the 2% per hour idle drain which is baffling me, like something isn't shutting down on the phone properly, with no clues under battery as usage time doesnt increase while the screens off. I don't have Xcode but using an app which shows cpu usage it seems to idle normal dropping as low as 3% with all apps closed, where my 5s which doesn't suffer from idle drain only drops as low as 7% cpu use when idle with all apps closed.

I'll certainly update if I find a solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonmet

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I originally set the phone up from a back up of my 5s and thought that was the problem so to be absolutely sure I did a DFU restore set up as new a couple of weeks ago .. right pain in the ass and time consuming having to go through everything getting the phone set up exactly the way I like it again and sadly it made no difference at all. I've also tried logging out of iCloud and iTunes and running it with no account with no difference to standby drain. This is why I'm starting to think it could be a launch day rotten apple with a faulty part drawing too much power when it should be idle rather than software related. If the battery wasn't so good when I'm actually using the phone doing something (which kind of masks the problem as I get a full day out if it) I'd have sent it back to apple by now. Would telephone support do a swap do you think? as it's very difficult for me to find time to get to an Apple Store due to work and distance from nearest store.

There are a few more things I'm gunna try though and I'll report back if anything works

Cheers
[doublepost=1478602158][/doublepost]

Sorry to hear that. Does your battery do well while actually using the phone to do something? Mine is excellent while I'm using the phone and drains slowly exactly how it should do ..it's just the 2% per hour idle drain which is baffling me, like something isn't shutting down on the phone properly, with no clues under battery as usage time doesnt increase while the screens off. I don't have Xcode but using an app which shows cpu usage it seems to idle normal dropping as low as 3% with all apps closed, where my 5s which doesn't suffer from idle drain only drops as low as 7% cpu use when idle with all apps closed.

I'll certainly update if I find a solution.

Yes please keep us posted. There are some good people in the community here that like to help others.

I thought of something else that could be an issue. Apple supposedly switched to Intel modems for some markets, so maybe there are bugs with the new modem drawing way too much power. Perhaps the issue is also worse if you live in an area with weaker reception (my reception is consistently 4 or 5 strength). You'd have to check which modem you have. I'm in Australia so I don't know if that means I got one with the Intel modem or not.

Secondly, yes you absolutely can call Apple support. I kind of assumed that since you're in the UK you might live or work in a city that has an Apple shop. I live in inner Sydney so I'm lucky enough to be able to walk to the nearest one in 15-20 minutes. There are 4 in or near the city so we're kind of spoilt, unlike in Melbourne. It sucked living there from an Apple-user's perspective (and in other ways). :p

I've found they're generally pretty happy to help, especially when you have a new product. I had pretty terrible battery drain issues on the iPhone 5 when it first launched (I also got a launch day phone) so I called to report it but eventually decided to send it back. I waited 3 months then bought it again, by which time it seemed better. But that was within the 2 week? returns period, which I'm guessing you're past now.

Telephone support will likely want (or ask you) to perform certain tests over the phone. They have remote tools they can run. But make sure to explain everything you have here, that it's not an issue with battery drain under load but when idle, even when it's completely erased and not signed in to anything and when no third-party apps are installed. Try deleting all third-party apps if you haven't because maybe there's one (that isn't Facebook) that is causing issues.

I'm curious about the change in modem and how that's affecting things.

Last edited:

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
I then decided to contact Apple, and one of their advisors confirmed to me that this is a known issue and that their engineers are working on an update to address this within the next couple of days (hereby attached the chat in French):

"iOS advisor" : "this is a bug related to iOS 10, our enginners are working on an update that will soon be available";
"iOS advisor" : "this is a know issue, our engineers are working on it, there will be an update within a couple of days/weeks to solve this problem".

I'm surprised no one has responded to this yet. If true, nice to know that Apple is aware and working on a fix.

Potus325

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
255de906fdb5fe7d87fa3acd3a2614d0.png
new update

Don't bother downloading it. I'm at 65% after 1 hour 29 mins usage. Absolutely pathetic. Apple have lost their place in innovation. Sloppy updates. I now it's 10.2 is beta but the iOS 10 GM was no better. Am now looking around for a better phone with a dependable operating system.

imex99

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Ohio
Don't bother downloading it. I'm at 65% after 1 hour 29 mins usage. Absolutely pathetic. Apple have lost their place in innovation. Sloppy updates. I now it's 10.2 is beta but the iOS 10 GM was no better. Am now looking around for a better phone with a dependable operating system.

I have no battery issues....love my battery compared to the many android phones I've had!!!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's unfortunate you are having some sort of issues. It seems that many people aren't. But, as you mentioned, for a variety of reasons, it seems like perhaps going with Apple products might not be something for you.

Potus325

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
It's unfortunate you are having some sort of issues. It seems that many people aren't. But, as you mentioned, for a variety of reasons, it seems like perhaps going with Apple products might not be something for you.

Ha. It's not just me having issues. Plenty of others on this forum and other forums too it seems. Apple have been loosing their edge for the past while it seems and I for one have almost had enough. My iPhone was usable (not greet) until 10 came along and it has been pathetic since.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I'm surprised no one has responded to this yet. If true, nice to know that Apple is aware and working on a fix.

I'm a natural-born cynic but that sounds like a standard delay-the-user response tactic to me.

The annecdotal evidence does suggest a software problem in this case, but if it weren't for that I wouldn't be happy with that response because they haven't actually resolved the problem as far as the user is concerned or made any promise or guarantee of when it will be resolved.

Always beware when companies tell you to wait. It's usually a deliberate strategy to slow, limit or discourage the user from pursuing their rights, not least a speedy resolution. It's in their interest to limit and reduce the rate of returns and replacements. You shouldn't have to wait if you've got a malfunctioning product, especially a high-end, premium phone from one of the world's richest companies.

Apple receives enormous benefit from the confidence and good-will of its customers, and some of this was rightfully earned, but I'm concerned about Apple becoming increasingly user-hostile in the search for profits. My confidence in the company is faltering and as such I'm less willing to accept vague, non-committal responses like that. My follow-up question would've been "when will the fix be released"?

Remember, Apple doesn't even allow you to downgrade to iOS 9 so they've denied that potential resolution from the user. If the problem was enough to seriously affect my use and confidence in the product (and random shutdowns would certainly do that) I'd be seeking an immediate fix. If that amounts to a replaced handset then so be it.

Last edited:
Reactions: finnbar

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ha. It's not just me having issues. Plenty of others on this forum and other forums too it seems. Apple have been loosing their edge for the past while it seems and I for one have almost had enough. My iPhone was usable (not greet) until 10 came along and it has been pathetic since.
Sure, there are others too of course, as is usually the case (and not just with iOS or Apple). But plenty more that are just fine as well.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
So stay on 9.3.5 till 10.2 or later ? iPhone SE.
Faster does not mean better battery. From what I read and see on YouTube tests 10.2 vs 9.3.5 it's more like the same battery life on 5s.

Any more reviews?

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
Well it's official, ios 10 definitely decreased the SE's battery life. Haven't gone past 7 & a half hours yet while i was averaging 8.5-9 prior.

I also disabled a lot of **** I had enabled with ios 9 but no difference.

Last edited:

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Well it's official, ios 10 definitely decreased the SE's battery life. Haven't gone past 7 & a half hours yet while i was averaging 8.5-9 prior.

I also disabled a lot of **** I had enabled with ios 9 but no difference.
If you've only just recently installed it give it a few days to settle down because it indexes a lot of stuff in the background at first so you might find battery life improves.
[doublepost=1478721607][/doublepost]
View attachment 671027 View attachment 671026
I have all location services off (apart from sos/share my location)

6s+ on 10.2 Beta 1

Absolutely shocking IMO
That is poor battery performance .. have you tried a DFU restore set up as new?

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
When I was using iOS 10 for a week (enough time for settle it up ? ) it was worse in idle and usage time than now on 9.3.5 set as new.

iOS 10 was updated via iTunes

Reactions: dianp

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
When I was using iOS 10 for a week (enough time for settle it up ? ) it was worse in idle and usage time than now on 9.3.5 set as new.

iOS 10 was updated via iTunes

You don't seem to be alone with battery issues on ios10
However, my old 5s easily does as well on the iOS 10.2 beta as it did on 9.3.5
I did get a few issues with it suddenly dropping from around 30% to 1% occasionally initially on iOS 10.0.1 but it's sorted itself now out over the following updates since

Cheers

Reactions: dianp and addamas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.