Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Decided not to use my watch anymore. And look at this ridiculous battery life that I now get.
IMG_0004.PNG

Compared to with a watch:

IMG_0163.jpg

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Running 10.2 (14C92) on iPhone 7 Plus.

As of this post...
Standby Time: 84 hours
Usage: 8.5 hours
Battery percentage left: 18%

Before I upgraded to the iPhone app 7 plus, I was getting terrible battery life with the iPhone 6 running iOS 10, regardless of what I tried.

Gabrielanicolao

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2016
I'm using iPhone since 2012 and my opinion is different from those who say that latest series of iPhone 6 and 7 battery life is bad.

Currently I'm using iPhone 7 and its battery is working perfectly.

Reactions: imex99

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
mind sharing how you've achieved that? any disabled features/tweaks?
Sure...
1)Set up as a new phone not from a backup.
2)Turn background app refresh off for most apps.
3)Turn off location services for anything that doesn't need it. For example The only thing under system services I leave on is find my phone. Apps such as maps that need it set to 'while using' not 'always'.
4)Turn off notifications for any apps that don't need it on/you don't want notifications from.
5)Turn off handoff unless you really need it.
6)Turn off spotlight search for anything you don't think requires it on.
7)I don't use Siri so I've turned that off.
8)I don't like raise to wake so I've turned that off.
9)I don't get notifications on lock screen that's turned off. I don't want someone at work picking up my phone and reading something private on the lock screen.
10)Display auto brightness off. Manually set quite low.

Off the top of my head that's everything I've tweaked. If you want me to check any other particular setting let me know. I'm getting great battery life out of this replacement iPhone 7 (my launch day one was faulty).

Cheers

Reactions: deep1

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Sure...
1)Set up as a new phone not from a backup.
2)Turn background app refresh off for most apps.
3)Turn off location services for anything that doesn't need it. For example The only thing under system services I leave on is find my phone. Apps such as maps that need it set to 'while using' not 'always'.
4)Turn off notifications for any apps that don't need it on/you don't want notifications from.
5)Turn off handoff unless you really need it.
6)Turn off spotlight search for anything you don't think requires it on.
7)I don't use Siri so I've turned that off.
8)I don't like raise to wake so I've turned that off.
9)I don't get notifications on lock screen that's turned off. I don't want someone at work picking up my phone and reading something private on the lock screen.
10)Display auto brightness off. Manually set quite low.

Off the top of my head that's everything I've tweaked. If you want me to check any other particular setting let me know. I'm getting great battery life out of this replacement iPhone 7 (my launch day one was faulty).

Cheers

PREPARE FOR WAR.... I posted this a while ago and I was told why even have an iPhone anymore with everything off?

Cause you never know when you need that GPS compass calibration! /s

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
PREPARE FOR WAR.... I posted this a while ago and I was told why even have an iPhone anymore with everything off?

Cause you never know when you need that GPS compass calibration! /s
TBH I only turn stuff off that I don't need on, nothing I turn off makes any difference to my experience using the phone that I've noticed except improving battery life a little.

Why have an iPhone? Simple .. I need a smart phone for the features I do use a lot and I prefer it to Android :)

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
TBH I only turn stuff off that I don't need on, nothing I turn off makes any difference to my experience using the phone that I've noticed except improving battery life a little.

Why have an iPhone? Simple .. I need a smart phone for the features I do use a lot and I prefer it to Android :)

Hey I agree, but the smartasses here seem to think turning off iAd location is going to impact their phone's capabilities. I had a 26 step list of things to turn off or change when iOS 9 was out which I used daily and it had no ill effects on the phone.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Hey I agree, but the smartasses here seem to think turning off iAd location is going to impact their phone's capabilities. I had a 26 step list of things to turn off or change when iOS 9 was out which I used daily and it had no ill effects on the phone.
I don't worry about smartasses .. and.. never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience :D
Seriously though, none of the location services I've turned off have had any noticeable impact on my user experience as of yet, and I get better battery life than a lot of people on here with the bigger battery plus models!
Set your phone up as you like, and as far as my above post goes, a forum member asked how I achieved good battery life stats so I posted my tweaks ;)
Cheers

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
I don't worry about smartasses .. and.. never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience :D
Seriously though, none of the location services I've turned off have had any noticeable impact on my user experience as of yet, and I get better battery life than a lot of people on here with the bigger battery plus models!
Set your phone up as you like, and as far as my above post goes, a forum member asked how I achieved good battery life stats so I posted my tweaks ;)
Cheers

I reported my post to a mod to delete it so nobody could use the guide to get better battery life since I had well over 3 pages of people telling me I might as well not have a phone at that point...

I don't know, I've always run my phone with features I don't use or I find pointless turned off and I never lost out on anything. My phone can still call, email, text, download, apps, navigate, etc without a problem.

Reactions: deano1972

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Still, so many hours. Even on a case +10 percent is amazing. Do you also get that amount from just the phone charge?

The case has a larger battery and get's a bit more longevity than just the phone - it was £99 but I have peace of mind about my battery life now.

r0aritsieuan

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
Is this good or bad battery for a iPhone 7? Mostly everything has been turned off and screen is on auto!? Anyone able to give me a opinion on whether this is normal or bad?

Attachments

• IMG_2354.PNG
    IMG_2354.PNG
    277.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2353.PNG
    IMG_2353.PNG
    258.6 KB · Views: 167

r0aritsieuan

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
It's not very good if I'm honest, looks more like an iPhone 5 battery stats.
Snapchat has way too much background activity going on there and so does messenger

Do you think I should demand a new one then? I bought it within the christmas return period so I have until Jan 8th?

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Do you think I should demand a new one then? I bought it within the christmas return period so I have until Jan 8th?
Depends, firstly that background activity in your battery stats is software related not hardware. Did you set your new phone up from a backup of an older model iPhone? If so try restoring the iOS on iTunes and setting it up as a new phone. Make sure background app refresh is off for those apps showing background activity as well, then if they still show background activity that's quite high close them in the app switcher after use (only the apps showing high background activity).
I also notice no network Coverage listed on your battery stats so that would also give your battery stats a hit.
If you still aren't happy with your battery life try a simple test.. make a note of the battery percentage and turn the phone off for 5 hours, if it drains almost 10% in 5 hours switched off you have a faulty iPhone 7 So send it back

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
By only switching off auto brightness, my battery life has vastly improved. Have everything on ie raise to wake, hey siri etc.
Location is while using for most apps.
I was always getting great battery on 6s plus and then new 7 plus, suddenly some update ( don't remember version) effected battery ( may be introduced auto brightness bug).
It can be pain to manually set up brightness but i am getting more than 3 hrs extra usage so will keep it off for time being till next update.

Attachments

• IMG_3001.PNG
    IMG_3001.PNG
    512.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
It's not very good if I'm honest, looks more like an iPhone 5 battery stats.
Snapchat has way too much background activity going on there and so does messenger
You can't say that... iPhone 5 battery stats... I have the same and i'm super happy. Just try to use on high brightness and on LTE, you'll see that you'll get same stats maybe worse. No one is using phone only in dark rooms with low brightness and wifi.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
By only switching off auto brightness, my battery life has vastly improved. Have everything on ie raise to wake, hey siri etc.
Location is while using for most apps.
I was always getting great battery on 6s plus and then new 7 plus, suddenly some update ( don't remember version) effected battery ( may be introduced auto brightness bug).
It can be pain to manually set up brightness but i am getting more than 3 hrs extra usage so will keep it off for time being till next update.
Yeah you could test it on again after the next update, I just prefer the brightness set manually anyway .. guess I'm oldskool :D

With
You can't say that... iPhone 5 battery stats... I have the same and i'm super happy. Just try to use on high brightness and on LTE, you'll see that you'll get same stats maybe worse. No one is using phone only in dark rooms with low brightness and wifi.
who said anything about wifi? It makes hardly any difference if mines on cellular data or wifi if I'm honest, as long as the cell signals reasonable.. I use a mixture of both throughout the day. Auto brightness makes very slight difference to battery life for me, but I preferred manually set brightness anyway by choice.
Those battery stats are poor for an iPhone 7 ..just look at the battery stats on the Apple site, many forum members are getting closer to the predicted stats, and my launch day 7 which had a hardware fault had poor stats like that.. guess what? It's been replaced and now I get 10/11 hours usage over 48 hours with the replacement that's not faulty..but as long as your happy ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.