Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
You can't have those stats... Only on 7+. We are taking on basic 7. So those who don't get ~10 hours of usage and ~40 of standby have faulty batteries? Everyone have different firstly carriers and signal reception, apps, usage, brightness... I would love to have your device for couple of days and I would prove you what I'm saying.

Soooo if it is true what are you saying I have faulty battery and I should get new phone?

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
You can't have those stats... Only on 7+. We are taking on basic 7. So those who don't get ~10 hours of usage and ~40 of standby have faulty batteries? Everyone have different firstly carriers and signal reception, apps, usage, brightness... I would love to have your device for couple of days and I would prove you what I'm saying.

Soooo if it is true what are you saying I have faulty battery and I should get new phone?
I would love you to be here as witness so I can prove what I'm saying too.
No I'm not saying you have a faulty battery if you don't get 10 hours usage over 40 hours, a lot of factors come into play here. Mainly how strong your cell signal is and if an app is draining your phone on standby in the background etc. However if you mainly have a reasonable cell signal all day and your phone isn't set up from a corrupt backup from iTunes/iCloud and there's no apps draining your phone in the background you should get more than 6 or 7 hours usage over 20 hours out of an iPhone 7. That's more like what I get out of 5s with a new battery!

My launch day 7 which turned out to be faulty would drain 2% per hour on standby or 15% over night. I tried everything to fix this, dfu restore, set up as new rather than from backup, but nothing changed this standby drain. I finally realised it's faulty hardware and gave up trying to fix it when I noticed it also drained almost as much while switched off. The battery itself wasn't faulty it passed all the apple tests but some hardware fault in the phone was causing a slow drain of 2% per hour. This faulty iphone 7 with the 2% per hour drain problem would do 6 or 7 hours usage over 20 hours roughly before the battery was really low.
The replacement phone I got 8 days ago drains 1 or 2% over night at most and will do 10 hours+ usage over 2 days before the battery gets really low. Wifi or cellular data makes hardly any difference, auto brightness might reduce it a little but not by much (maybe knock 30 mins usage off?).
The only thing that really has an effect on battery life is if I'm in a really bad signal area for a long time (between no signal and 1 bar) then the usage time is significantly lower!

Maybe you spend time in a poor signal area or your backup is a bit corrupt? Or maybe you have a standby drain issue I can't tell why your phone will only do 6 hours or so from here. Cheers
IMG_0341.JPG

Last edited:

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Still can't make it through a day.

Yesterday I did not use the phone, only to reply to some whatsapp messages. I didn't use the Watch at all, just to look at the time. However the Watch claims usage stats of 3 hours. Meh. It was also down to 46 percent after 9 hours.

The iPhone 7 (4.7") Was down to 34 percent at that point. I let both devices off the charger during the night, where the iphone dropped to 26% and the watch dropped to 29. Few hours later they both died.

Today I used the phone without the watch again; unpaired the watch because I'm sick and tired of it. After 13 hours I'm still at 87 percent and I used the phone WAY more (even some youtube).

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
Must admit I feel as though my 7 is using more juice since updating to 10.2. Whilst it's using no more power than normal whilst idle (it can go all night and drop 1-2% max) browsing on wifi (with the screen fairly dim) seems to chew through the battery at a rate of 1% per 3-5 mins. I'm sure it was never this noticeable before.

Reactions: JemTheWire

r0aritsieuan

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2016
Must admit I feel as though my 7 is using more juice since updating to 10.2. Whilst it's using no more power than normal whilst idle (it can go all night and drop 1-2% max) browsing on wifi (with the screen fairly dim) seems to chew through the battery at a rate of 1% per 3-5 mins. I'm sure it was never this noticeable before.

How much usage and standby tim do you get overall?

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
I would love you to be here as witness so I can prove what I'm saying too.
No I'm not saying you have a faulty battery if you don't get 10 hours usage over 40 hours, a lot of factors come into play here. Mainly how strong your cell signal is and if an app is draining your phone on standby in the background etc. However if you mainly have a reasonable cell signal all day and your phone isn't set up from a corrupt backup from iTunes/iCloud and there's no apps draining your phone in the background you should get more than 6 or 7 hours usage over 20 hours out of an iPhone 7. That's more like what I get out of 5s with a new battery!

My launch day 7 which turned out to be faulty would drain 2% per hour on standby or 15% over night. I tried everything to fix this, dfu restore, set up as new rather than from backup, but nothing changed this standby drain. I finally realised it's faulty hardware and gave up trying to fix it when I noticed it also drained almost as much while switched off. The battery itself wasn't faulty it passed all the apple tests but some hardware fault in the phone was causing a slow drain of 2% per hour. This faulty iphone 7 with the 2% per hour drain problem would do 6 or 7 hours usage over 20 hours roughly before the battery was really low.
The replacement phone I got 8 days ago drains 1 or 2% over night at most and will do 10 hours+ usage over 2 days before the battery gets really low. Wifi or cellular data makes hardly any difference, auto brightness might reduce it a little but not by much (maybe knock 30 mins usage off?).
The only thing that really has an effect on battery life is if I'm in a really bad signal area for a long time (between no signal and 1 bar) then the usage time is significantly lower!

Maybe you spend time in a poor signal area or your backup is a bit corrupt? Or maybe you have a standby drain issue I can't tell why your phone will only do 6 hours or so from here. Cheers
View attachment 679011

I have good signal strength in entire city for LTE. Except when I'm at work, I turn on airplane mode. At home or where I go with friends at coffee shop, I have almost full signal 4 or 5 dots.

I was long time android user and I was expert for app called BBS (better battery stats) watching logs and knowing if some app went berserk or maybe some hardware fault. On iOS there isn't such app because of closed system. There even isn't awake or screen on time bars or percentage. It would make life easier.

8b199a7c2e776f879e09565f164e0f1b.jpg

This is my working day. 7 hours airplane max brightness, before job used for viber, WhatsApp, half an hour call time. There isn't drainage because I turned off background app refresh (well I think that there isn't). It's cold here in Serbia, maybe there is something with it too. I don't know.

For about corrupted backup I didn't heard. Can you explain me some basics?

And for standby drainage, I lose for about 2-3 sometimes 4 percent overnight.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
I have good signal strength in entire city for LTE. Except when I'm at work, I turn on airplane mode. At home or where I go with friends at coffee shop, I have almost full signal 4 or 5 dots.

I was long time android user and I was expert for app called BBS (better battery stats) watching logs and knowing if some app went berserk or maybe some hardware fault. On iOS there isn't such app because of closed system. There even isn't awake or screen on time bars or percentage. It would make life easier.

8b199a7c2e776f879e09565f164e0f1b.jpg

This is my working day. 7 hours airplane max brightness, before job used for viber, WhatsApp, half an hour call time. There isn't drainage because I turned off background app refresh (well I think that there isn't). It's cold here in Serbia, maybe there is something with it too. I don't know.

For about corrupted backup I didn't heard. Can you explain me some basics?

And for standby drainage, I lose for about 2-3 sometimes 4 percent overnight.
Well 2-4% drain over night is certainly within the normal iOS range so there's no problem with standby drain on your phone ;)

Cold certainly could be a factor I guess, and certainly having max brightness will give you lower battery usage times. Could you not manage with it on auto brightness at least? I think you might see an improvement then. Auto brightness only gives slightly lower usage times than setting it quite low manually I find, but max brightness kills the battery much quicker. Auto brightness will only ramp it up full outside in bright sunlight etc when it's needed.

Backup.. yes it's better to set a new iPhone up as a new device rather than from a backup from you previous iPhone. It doesn't always cause problems but sometimes something that gets transferred over from the older devices backup can cause battery drain problems on your new phone if you set it up from a backup from an older iPhone model. Generally there's less chance of problems with a clean iOS install set up as a new phone rather than as a backup, that's why Apple will advise you to try a DFU restore and set up as a new phone not from a backup if your having battery drain problems on a new iPhone.
Cheers
[doublepost=1482278591][/doublepost]
1% drop every 3-5 mins browsing on wifi with a dim screen is bit excessive for an iPhone 7. I'm sure mines more like 1% every 6 or 7 mins. Did you update ota? Maybe try reinstalling 10.2 over iTunes?

This is typical battery usage for my iPhone 7 on 10.2
IMG_0336.PNG

It's always connected to data either cellular or wifi and never in airplane mode
Cheers

Last edited:

daniell85

Suspended
Dec 18, 2016
Please. Keep lied how many hours you used. More standby hours you got more usage hours you will get. Real usage time depend on your brightness and what app you use. I can hit 13 hours usage time when set brightness 20%. But who do that. So think about this.
Myself set 50% brightness
Surfing browser will like be 1% 5-6 minutes
Facebook 1%-4 minutes
YouTube 1%-5 minutes
Honest if you run straight using it non stop using 50% brightness will never exceed 10 hours.

Just like my pic show close 6 hours used. But the standby every 7 hours will add 30 minutes on yours usage. So basically I'm only used 3 1/2 hour on screen after 40 hours standby. So that not mean you got 6 hours people. If you really want to proof please upload picture standby not more than 2-3hours different from usage with 11 or 12 hours usage.

Attachments

• IMG_0273.PNG
    IMG_0273.PNG
    489.7 KB · Views: 143

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Please. Keep lied how many hours you used. More standby hours you got more usage hours you will get. Real usage time depend on your brightness and what app you use. I can hit 13 hours usage time when set brightness 20%. But who do that. So think about this.
Myself set 50% brightness
Surfing browser will like be 1% 5-6 minutes
Facebook 1%-4 minutes
YouTube 1%-5 minutes
Honest if you run straight using it non stop using 50% brightness will never exceed 10 hours.

Just like my pic show close 6 hours used. But the standby every 7 hours will add 30 minutes on yours usage. So basically I'm only used 3 1/2 hour on screen after 40 hours standby. So that not mean you got 6 hours people. If you really want to proof please upload picture standby not more than 2-3hours different from usage with 11 or 12 hours usage.
firstly no one is a liar.
Secondly my usage time Doesn't go up 30 mins every 7hours of standby like yours does, if I leave my phone for 7 hours on standby usage time probably goes up a few minutes at most.
Thirdly I use my phone indoors mainly and 30% brightness is about right for the lighting indoors, 50% brightness is way too bright unless your in sunlight!
Next time I need to use my phone for 10/11 hours straight out of 13/14 hours I'll post you a screen shot as evidence ok ;) .. until then I couldn't care less if you believe the usage Im getting or not fella.. it's just doing slightly less than Apple says it can do :)
Cheers
Ps it's not a competition :D .. so don't feel threatened
IMG_0340.PNG

IMG_0341.JPG

Last edited:

daniell85

Suspended
Dec 18, 2016
firstly no one is a liar.
Secondly my usage time Doesn't go up 30 mins every 7hours of standby like yours does, if I leave my phone for 7 hours on standby usage time probably goes up a few minutes at most.
Thirdly I use my phone indoors mainly and 30% brightness is about right for the lighting indoors, 50% brightness is way too bright unless your in sunlight!
Next time I need to use my phone for 10/11 hours straight out of 13/14 hours I'll post you a screen shot as evidence ok ;) .. until then I couldn't care less if you believe the usage Im getting or not fella.. it's just doing slightly less than Apple says it can do :)
Cheers
Ps it's not a competition :D .. so don't feel threatened
View attachment 679153
View attachment 679154

that what misleading people before talk about how much usage, first determined by the brightness and app been using. my friend set 20% brightness for 13 hours. for god sake, i really don't know why he uses color screen cell phone. so it just misleading people believe how far the usage last before telling what brightness you set. talk about standby time I had a trick to make it 15 hours before a drop to 99%. so is not a battery defected if your phone doesn't last that long? you just need to know what is running and close all it permanently not even on background anymore or show at battery status.
[doublepost=1482296788][/doublepost]
that what misleading people before talk about how much usage, first determined by the brightness and app been using. my friend set 20% brightness for 13 hours. for god sake, i really don't know why he uses color screen cell phone. so it just misleading people believe how far the usage last before telling what brightness you set. talk about standby time I had a trick to make it 15 hours before a drop to 99%. so is not a battery defected if your phone doesn't last that long? you just need to know what is running and close all it permanently not even on background anymore or show at battery status.
BTW i mean 1/2 usage count after 7 hours is in your pocket not on your table. from my guess you don't have a job that why you alway at indoor or at home.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
[doublepost=1482296788][/doublepost]
BTW i mean 1/2 usage count after 7 hours is in your pocket not on your table. from my guess you don't have a job that why you alway at indoor or at home.
Your not very good at guessing then, I work indoors like a good many people do
.. doh!

As I've already said my phone doesn't rack up insane amounts of usage time when the screens not on like yours does .. mine works correctly and usage time only Goes up by the odd few minutes occasionally when it's not actually being used to do something.

Also there's nothing wrong with around 30% brightness, hell even on auto brightness it usually auto sets to below 50% brightness indoors a lot. Interestingly my phone is recommending I save battery by selecting auto brightness now too :D
IMG_0342.PNG

Have a nice day

Last edited:

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
How much usage and standby tim do you get overall?
Hard to say as I've only been running 10.2 for a few days.

I'm finding that the usage stats can be misleading.

As I type this I'm on:

Remaining: 64%
Usage: 2h 54m
Standby: 34h 14m

This all sounds great, because aside from a couple of 15min bursts of browsing and a couple of texts I've either been at work or asleep.

But I've been browsing, replying to emails and forum threads for the last 30mins and used 6-7%! So by that reckoning would burn through a full charge with no standby in 5-6 hours!

(BTW, I updated via iTunes for what difference it makes)

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
My usage when I'm not using phone is maybe couple of minutes. I don't have background app refresh turned on, so it's only push that is in the background.

So when I have usage 4h then 3 an a half hours is screen on time.

b077a1b16020cada3dff05970d092293.jpg

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
My usage when I'm not using phone is maybe couple of minutes. I don't have background app refresh turned on, so it's only push that is in the background.

So when I have usage 4h then 3 an a half hours is screen on time.

b077a1b16020cada3dff05970d092293.jpg
Viber has a lot of background activity logged, I would probably close that app in the app switcher when you've finished using it to see if it improves things.

Those battery stats aren't bad anyway, try the screen on auto brightness If you've got it manually set very high ;)

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
I'll try

Know I see what's going berserk in the background. I was yesterday or maybe two days before set the backup, but obviously it stucked.
20ce3aeaacd1e9ef3690d23bd932e837.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: deano1972

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Backup is stucked, progress bar. I can use app normally but I think there is drainage in the background because it can't finish backing up.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I don't tweak anything, background refresh is on for all apps, same with notifications. I did buy the official Apple smart battery case though, effectively giving me a full 200%. I charge every 2 or 3 days.

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Solved issue of Viber backup. I sent email to Viber support (they were really quick) and after couple of minutes we solved the case. Problem was in iCloud. It stucked on upgrading, then I sign out, sign in again, everything came to place. Viber backed up and i think standby time should be better now.

Reactions: deano1972

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I appreciate not everyone wants a chunky smart battery case; with mine, though, I've effectively doubled the phone's battery life.

I think of it as having 200% when fully charged; after the case battery dies I still have 100% on the phone and I needn't recharge every day or even every 2 or 3 days - worth £99 to me.

st9qkSQkW1ONI5vcmmtxB88afp7OwXJ8taBlzDABiwZ07bmJ3vPXpiybzc6NdkuMn1IaMWj3oUxx1STi2dcN7AreTP0TmlevOOu0MvLmKPvKeN6kc3XvXldjMLzGWlZeucxJ-sBXoC489oeE5TD7jhIDd6bfSr4S6NdnW7aw-ZisEWb43arzQdZOllC7j-BZumf2NM-myiFF_TiIADS3sCNPtBdo4FkyNqxn-9halBKJqJwR-jCtagR7f42iAGPYxAbUcsTi5ItwaqNLcIhg9GX3ef6FiGVUzEK0jlJXR2EEPqcjS5M_drcf53e3EE9JHBa__EDwEtQ9ezJj_5OeTz-whEo3ttIqfXMZGZRh7hnjhJRDjDcqjW2kGLnLWrgRexbDPsaXmV-RGIM-9B3CMKwcA1xfJMgm1kaKdl6P7FZXxhoYmyKEpDNciWV141fASCVmxicuxWeZ41luTrLLrAKp_MbUA6zIQnCxzleyd5bzpG2s7wnQ7ceHrlIdC9BnipOfaV70CI59AaVu7bImTo1zhHJR-1q43bXPw5FEmceco3qFmGwC6XXeO201XMTHFxDbsZlWUy3L0dV2fVjFGfWLuPsga2GYeNgNjyAFFBgrL3CxnusfHw=w608-h1080-no

tjCJfxxkw0TsmAXla3SnFJf59TZwXETCgpxiDK6QucwodAIM1gdjF-TYiDczYygI5B5t7fRM-MiMvl64PfNcGqAPzVkDLF36Ay9BZ96FKqSQHf-NRZ8mtsEFTbQSdoMriDQ4QUIbTiy5X0_HYGIflYnphTfPnk5kcFBvytJ6LUQcXYRL6SqehiNQ3-eP4h8Xjc897xn6uSrOGTpPEGm-4HkmD430tF6oqDYmLlXSwUB7OwcO6xB7aJFoaON2MTyB_k7Bx-pT1_R6v7w7OytQlmDAn_unsx3nurS975FZ2nYIdbvpuEYSIzXgRZO6hmnigOC7u9SRqrA7lEztBa-pzBb3hB3z445EhFTGHL25Ma9ZaynobK9lNzOB5zxmiLfP8ySzF68Nw5z0rlRz2stLbofziZOAHJXwRjWE_lbJm4kLov1VP6zFwf3CUjhI1hA0ZIlwQAteWCDymACGtVbze3SvzBXvgF7ifwmvJUmWOWfUmG0IqLy0y3iv2b2fX7zruu7Stobwn2EfaVna6ieDSwiEzhHxurzpGghip3wfxaxRVyjjCZCabVX5RwGovkXKcFDA3ogUaxkZRUh_nl1u1Ph8eV9AvUjAFJj7uHkVdSHz6R1UWZVqTw=w608-h1080-no

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.