Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Thank you for the testing and the great app. So according to Intel's document, the maximum temperature for that CPU is 91 °C (measured by the digital thermal sensors). In the test with the fans at unmodified speed the temperature became very close to that, up to 87 °C. Since that is still below the max it's probably fine though, especially if they don't reach that temp most of the time. The fan is quite loud at 1500 rpm, so personally I would prefer to keep the fan speed at the lower unmodified speeds.

The original CPUs give more headroom. The max for the stock 8 core is 102 °C.

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 1.48.25 PM.png

crystalidea

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
Belgium
Thank you for the testing and the great app.
Thank you.

In the test with the fans at unmodified speed the temperature became very close to that, up to 87 °C
83°C actually.

The fan is quite loud at 1500 rpm, so personally I would prefer to keep the fan speed at the lower unmodified speeds.
I'd say it's a matter of personal preference: i don't feel comfortable knowing that it's already 80°C and the fan spinning at its min. 2667-v2 Tjmax is indeed 93°C but I'm not planning to allow 80+°C. GPU overheat and failure is unfortunately possible on MacPro6,1. GPU prices on GPU are ridiculous, good Apple fans last long and (personally) 1200-1500 rpm is fine for me when doing some HEVC encoding. Plus regular dust cleaning.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Now that I have an 8-core system (E5-1680 V2) I can do some benchmarks. :) I'm happy with the Geekbench result. Single thread is almost as good as the quad-core. 871 (single) and 5923 (multi.) It's very close to the E5-2667 V2 overall (tpivette89's benchmark). The E5-1680 V2 actually pulled a little ahead in multi-core text rendering.

My E5-1680 V2 result: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2437299

Comparison to tpivette89's E5-2667 V2: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/1926467?baseline=2437299

New result with 64GB RAM, firmware 426.0.0.0.0 on Big Sur 11.0.1, 872 single, 6139 multi: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5162412

Last edited:

ek9max

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
Sometimes it's hard to discern Trashcan scores from the Hackintosh ones. Would like to have actual results from forum members.

I have the 2667 CPU and haven't come close to 6500 in multi-core scores in Geekbench 5 (I have 32gb of RAM). Mine are in the 6200 range. So something in the 7000+ area would be a decent improvement for a 12-core.

The cost for 64gb of RAM (4x16gb) is about the same, if not a little more, than the 10-core CPU. Which one would be the better upgrade?

Being that I'm bored and have money to burn, I will be ordering a 2690 10-core CPU and testing it vs the 2667 that's currently in my machine. Will determine if the increase in multi-core scores is worth the trade-off in single-core performance.

Did you ever order this?

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
I did not. I was watching an eBay BIN auction a few months ago and at the time was what I considered to be a good price from a seller I had purchased CPUs from before. Other things took my attention away, and the auction was won by someone else. I have not since found this CPU for anywhere near that price, so it's been on the back burner for now.

Current pricing has the 64gb RAM kit for $95 on eBay. The E5-2690 V2 is around $165. The auction I was looking at awhile back had the 2690 at around $140.

Last edited:

LineNoise

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2020
I know this thread has been sleeping for a couple months, but I've read through it and I want to make sure I'm making the right decision for my upgrade.

I currently have a 6-core. Just upgraded to 64GB of RAM in my studio. It helped with Sample library cache type of stuff, but I really need more CPU performance, which I knew anyway. So my next step is processor. I'm using it in my pro music studio in Nashville, and I find myself running out of resources due to the number of plugins I like to use.

I'm not really schooled on reading benchmarks enough to know what I'm looking at, but what I seem to be gathering, is that I'd be better off getting an 8-core than a 12-core. Correct?

That's a little counter intuitive for me, but I think I might understand why you guys are saying that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you all have pointed out is; aside from applications that are specifically designed to utilize multicore featured processors, I'm more or less relegated to single core performance for most applications that are not multicore oriented in their programming. Correct? I'm assuming that's why you all are saying that the 2667-v2 is a better performer than the 12 core. Correct?

I'm not so worried about speed like a gaming system, etc., but more concerned with the ability to load more mixing plugins without it effecting audio and video performance.

Just asking for a friend who might be buying a CPU upgrade for a Mac Pro trash can ASAP. ;) :apple:

LineNoise

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2020
I just saw this video and the guy in it points out that the 12-core rendered video twice as fast as the 8-core. But I gather the other normal functions were a nominal. He did say that after the upgrade, it was worth it.

Here's the link:

He posts the performance Cenibench scores at the end.

Last edited:

crystalidea

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
Belgium
If I upgraded the CPU once again, I'd went for 12 core this time.
1. It's official CPU that was installed
2. Best multi-core results in tasks where you would't want to wait
3. For single core: we can wait those 0.000....1ms :) e.g. when launching apps. People don't play games on this computer.

LineNoise

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2020
Is there anyone else here who elected to go with the 12 core for similar use case as what I described above?

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Is there anyone else here who elected to go with the 12 core for similar use case as what I described above?

Upgraded to the 10 core myself but have a 12 core in the studio as well. They perform quite similar.
I prefer the 10 core for the better single performance and the better R/W speeds of the internal drive.
The 12 core is a little better in real time performance with plug-ins, the 10 core a little faster with bouncing.
(Pro Tools Ultimate)

Edit:
Have a look at this thread. Some benchmarks including 10c vs. 12c, mind that the 10c had half the RAM.

Last edited:

ek9max

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
Upgraded to the 2667 today. Decent results I suppose over the 6-core I had before.

Repasted the GPUs while I was in there and they seem to be running a little cooler. Here are my results.

This is on a computer that's been on for a couple hours and my wifes profile open and programs all running on top of everything I have open. Maybe I can score higher on a cold boot and closing everything.

Reactions: LineNoise

LineNoise

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2020
Excellent info guys! Thanks. I saw a good deal on a 12 core and ordered it. flygbuss, thanks for the thread link. I'll look at that as well!

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Excellent info guys! Thanks. I saw a good deal on a 12 core and ordered it. flygbuss, thanks for the thread link. I'll look at that as well!

Let us know your opinion after the upgrade. I went from a 6-Core to 12-Core and pleased with the results. Did not notice any single core hits in real world useage... but I use mainly for video production (with some logic pro x work).

Debated going with the 10-core instead, but like the extra cores and speed for rendering.

SamPotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Sydney, Australia
What temps are people getting with the 12-core? I have the 2667 8-core and even after re-applying the thermal paste I now get ~60c when just browsing the web and lightly using the machine (apps open but unused) which seems on the high side. I remember someone claiming that this might be due to the fact it was never speced for use in the Mac Pro. I can get a brand new 12-core chip for reasonable money and thought it might be worth a try?

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
My temps were never that hot from my 2667 in my 6,1. Did you do a NVRAM reset? Have you installed Macs Fan Control to raise the fan speeds? What GPUs are in your 6,1?

When just lightly browsing the web/checking emails/etc, my temps were only in the mid-low 40s. E5-2667 V2 has the same TDP as the E5-2697 V2, so temps should be about the same.

SamPotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Yep, I've reset everything. Just using stock fan profile so most of the time it's sat at 750-800rpm. I guess I could raise it but it didn't seem to make a big difference other than noise. GPUs are just the base D300. I did have them both replaced at Apple due to the freezing issues. Perhaps they didn't apple enough thermal compound or something?

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
Yep, I've reset everything. Just using stock fan profile so most of the time it's sat at 750-800rpm. I guess I could raise it but it didn't seem to make a big difference other than noise. GPUs are just the base D300. I did have them both replaced at Apple due to the freezing issues. Perhaps they didn't apple enough thermal compound or something?

With Macs Fan Control, I had my fans set to come on at 30C, and max out at 70C, based on CPU Diode temp. This bumped my rpm to about 1000rpm and I noticed no noise increase at all. Your results may vary.

You could tear down the machine and replace ALL the thermal paste. Who knows what the Apple techs did and didn't do when they replaced the GPUs. At least that would eliminate that possibility. But I would try the free fan control software first if it were me.

ek9max

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
What temps are people getting with the 12-core? I have the 2667 8-core and even after re-applying the thermal paste I now get ~60c when just browsing the web and lightly using the machine (apps open but unused) which seems on the high side. I remember someone claiming that this might be due to the fact it was never speced for use in the Mac Pro. I can get a brand new 12-core chip for reasonable money and thought it might be worth a try?

I'm usually around 60-65 degrees on my 2667 with light browsing and usually a 4k youtube video playing in the background on chrome

It was about the same on my 6-core 1650 V2.

Is this something to worry about? I always thought if you're under 80-85 on a cpu you're ok.

SamPotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I'm usually around 60-65 degrees on my 2667 with light browsing and usually a 4k youtube video playing in the background on chrome

It was about the same on my 6-core 1650 V2.

Is this something to worry about? I always thought if you're under 80-85 on a cpu you're ok.

I guess the question is, how much longer would the CPU last at ~50-55c (with the fan cranked to 1,400rpm) rather than ~60-65c? The fan noise is a little annoying as it's next to me on the desk (who'd hide this thing away?).

Reactions: ek9max

Vitamine

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2020
Hi,

I'm in the same situation as LineNoise in that I have a Mac Pro 6,1 with a E5-1650 V2 processor, 16GB RAM and have upgraded to a 64GB RAM but kept the same CPU. I work mainly with Pro Tools as a sound designer/editor so there is some moderate/heavy-lifting done by the processor managing the very problematic "Video Engine" and plugins.
I'm wondering whether there would be any sizeable benefit upgrading the CPU. I'm a total informatics noob by the way.
Please share any advice. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.