Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Yeah. The guy that recorded it obviously made it louder than it actually sounds. Everyone's freaking out over this.

The A10 is much more powerful and is now quad-core, it's going to make some noise!!
Oh so then the A9 would have been fine too if it made noise as it is more powerful than the A1-A8, so it can be as loud as all of them together. And your display is also fine with light bleeding as you now have 3D Touch which is more advanced. - Really?!?

Reactions: netnative

mfldmike

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
I just picked mine up today and can hear a "hiss/clicking" sound under heavy load. Especially recording and uploading video.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Well I had enough today....it was clearly heard during some HD calls so the phone is packed up back in the box and going to be returned tomorrow. Fired back up the 6S+ and quite frankly felt/looked the same once back in the case (aside from the camera). I will more likely try one more time but refuse to keep playing the return game.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
iPhone 6 has this also. When you turn the screen on, there's a rapid clicking sound, and when you open an app, there's a faint buzz.

Edit: I'm able to reproduce the clicking on the 6 when I put my finger on the home button.

Last edited:

Animalk

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Montreal Canada
Add me to the list of those that have a hissing device. I can hear the sound through the apple logo but only when I bring my ear close to it. I cannot notice it it otherwise but I have yet to really push the device. I am not sure yet if it is affecting the sound in video recordings. I will test further.

GSM North American 7 Plus 256GB

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007

I get the same sound as his 7 plus on my 7 (ATT). As I mentioned in my prev post, the household 6 and 6S also have noise but not as loud by far.

Tried recording video in as silent a room i can get with all three models (6, 6S, 7) and a 9.7 inch ipad pro for 30 seconds. My results were the following (no, Im not going to go through the hassle of posting to youtube, Im sure many of you have multiple generations in the household and can do the same test yourself).

7: audible constant regular sound, whine heard
6s: audible clicking sound, much faster in beat almost to point its constant, no whine heard
6: no clicking no whining
Ipad pro: no clicking no whining

To reiterate, all models above except ipad exhibit some clicking/whine when holding your ear to the back; none of them are loud enough to notice in real world usage.

FWIW even though its audible in a 7 recording, its definitely not loud enough to be noticeable in day to day recording. Still not sure whether im going to bother to return

Last edited:
Reactions: metsjetsfan

Barrett85

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2015
I can notice a very faint noise when holding it up to my ear. It doesn't come in through video or calls that I can notice, so I think I am going to keep my phone. If I return it I'll be possibly getting a phone with other issues like others are reporting. I'm happy with my 7plus, and as long as this isn't going to cause a long term problem or proven to be a big issue from apple, I'll just keep enjoying my new phone :) I honestly wouldn't have even noticed it if I hadn't come across this thread.

Reactions: TechnicallyTee

Rogo117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I've noticed that it does it all the time, though I have to make an effort to hear it, I can't really hear it through a phone call. I went to the apple store and they're going to replace it for me when they get more in stock.

Might call verizon to see if they'll send me a new one in box.

Animalk

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Montreal Canada
I have had an iPhone 5 since it was launched over 4 years ago and I just found out it also makes the processing crackle/hiss though it is quite a bit fainter than my new 7 Plus.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
Words of hope from The Verge: "We haven’t heard the noises on our own devices, and both iMore and Engadget tested their own iPhones under heavy load and couldn’t reproduce noises that gave them any worry. So we’re left to guess that the people hearing the hissing noise are just unlucky and drew the short straw in the lottery of tiny, inevitable manufacturing variances."

Reactions: metsjetsfan

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
Yes I called Apple since I purchased it from them directly. They are sending me a brand new one and I'm sending this one back in a box they are supplying me with. I don't wanna go into a store and deal with the lines bc right now it's still crazy.

And your new one will be the same. Not sure I understand why everyone jumps the gun and starts exchanging. Give it a few days/weeks and see if apple addresses it.
[doublepost=1474247464][/doublepost]

I despise that man. If ever there was a douche, it would be him.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
Words of hope from Engadget: "The issue doesn't appear for everyone. I tested an iPhone 7 using 3DMark "Ice Storm Extreme," a performance benchmark that puts the processor under serious strain, and heard no hissing at all. That suggests that the noise may stem from a manufacturing issue instead of an inherent design quirk. Not that this will make you feel any better if you're affected, of course."

GaryLiao

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Here's my take. As long as the sound that is produced is not significant enough to actually affect things such as call quality and audio recording in general then this shouldn't be a concern. It's rare that you'll ever shove the apple logo into your ear unless you're just trying to hear this noise.

If it does become loud enough to demonstrably affect the basic functioning of phone related functions then of course by all means go document the evidence and get it replace at the genius bar.

amps

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
Not that anyone uses a case for their phone but just curious if it blocks the hiss.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
And your new one will be the same. Not sure I understand why everyone jumps the gun and starts exchanging. Give it a few days/weeks and see if apple addresses it.
[doublepost=1474247464][/doublepost]

I despise that man. If ever there was a douche, it would be him.

Well why wouldn't i want to get this taken care of before i'm out of the return period?

Reactions: netnative
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.