Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfldmike

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
Well I called Apple and they gave me device replacement options...I told them it doesn't really solve the problem with multiple people having the issue. I was then told by a senior advisor that their "engineering team" wanted to look at the logs of the device and they would inform her on further options.

I really only heard it when I was downloading multiple apps and trying to record HD Video. I wonder how bad this is actually taxing the new fusion A10 because I really don't experience it any other time. I have two 6S plus's and I cannot replicate the noises.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
All we can do now is wait to see if Apple makes a statement about it if enough people complain. No need to ask for replacement since multiple people are having issues with it.

mfldmike

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
All we can do now is wait to see if Apple makes a statement about it if enough people complain. No need to ask for replacement since multiple people are having issues with it.

Exactly the way I seen it...I'll wait on Apple's engineering team to review my device logs and see what they have to say.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Exactly the way I seen it...I'll wait on Apple's engineering team to review my device logs and see what they have to say.

Yep so ill keep my ears open and wait until I hear something solid. I probably would never have heard it if I didn't read the thread.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have only heard it by putting my ear up to the back near the top. Is it audible on every phone if you listen hard enough with your ear pressed in the back?

If I never hear it outside of this I'm fine with it.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I have only heard it by putting my ear up to the back near the top. Is it audible on every phone if you listen hard enough with your ear pressed in the back?

If I never hear it outside of this I'm fine with it.
I hear it during my video recordings
[doublepost=1474254717][/doublepost]Spoke too soon. Sales sent me to tech support which was processing an AppleCare replacement.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I don't think it's any real issue here, my 6S also makes this buzzing sound under heavy load, e.g. when running a benchmark. But you need to have the phone up to your ear to hear it.

This sound is actually very typical, just google "Macbook Cpu buzzing sound".

Rogo117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I don't think it's any real issue here, my 6S also makes this buzzing sound under heavy load, e.g. when running a benchmark. But you need to have the phone up to your ear to hear it.

This sound is actually very typical, just google "Macbook Cpu buzzing sound".

It's actually doing it almost all the time. Quick text response etc.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
It's actually doing it almost all the time. Quick text response etc.

Yes, the 7 does make this sound more often, probably has something to do with the 4 CPU cores. But even just holding it in your hands and using it, the sound can't be heard (and I'm in a silent room). You'd literally need to put the back of your phone right next to your ear to hear it.

I do agree that it would be an issue if you can hear during a call, video recording or some other activity.

Rogo117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Yes, the 7 does make this sound more often, probably has something to do with the 4 CPU cores. But even just holding it in your hands and using it, the sound can't be heard (and I'm in a silent room). You'd literally need to put the back of your phone right next to your ear to hear it.

I do agree that it would be an issue if you can hear during a call, video recording or some other activity.

Agreed, it doesn't seem like a big issue. I tried recording a video and didn't hear it, same with a phone call.

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
Just thought I should chime in with a couple of data points :

• I purchased Geekbench 4 for this test
• Devices : iPad Pro 12.9 (wifi only, 128GB), iPhone 7 (Verizon, 256GB)

1) Running Geekbench 4
• iPhone 7 - can hear when ear is very close to the back area between the camera and the logo
• iPad Pro - can hear when ear is pressed to the area just above the logo

2) Device in rest mode (screen off, home screen)
• iPhone 7 - can hear when ear is very close to the back area between the camera and the logo
• iPad Pro - can hear when ear is pressed to the area just above the logo

The sound is similar to a very mild, high-pitch noise that is patterned; that is, it makes high-pitch noises in consistent and constant intervals.

If my iPad Pro makes a similar noise, I don't think I'm worried. It (iPad) has held up well for me since February.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
When I record a video and watch what I recorded it is audible just listening to what was recorded
But you will always be able hear some noise when recording a video - especially when turning the volume up.

The thing that I don't get is that most people can hear the "noise" if they press the back of the phone to their ears - but that it is also there on older 5/6 models. Wouldn't that mean that the "noise" has always been there?

I get that some might have a real problem with that "noise" if it can be heard from normal use, but I think that in most cases the problem has been blown way up if people can only hear the "noise" by pressing the back of the phone to their ear in a quiet room...

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but the noise that is coming from the phone is the power circuit. This noise occurs in all electronics when more power is being used, in the iPhone's case, the CPU is drawing more power. If you put you laptop charger to your ear you will hear an audible hum. It is a similar occurrence as that in the iP7. This does occur inside of the actual laptops though, I have seen this happen on my early 2011 MacBook Pro, along with my Late 2005 PowerBook G4, and even old radios have this phenomenon.

Don't worry, your phone isn't going to explode, and Apple really can't do anything about it. The device isn't faulty, just a tad bit of poor engineering. However, the hum seems to be more prevalent in the 7+, probably because of the larger screen (draws more power). I guess we shall see what Apple does in the next few months regarding this.

Stanick

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
All we can do now is wait to see if Apple makes a statement about it if enough people complain.

They never make statements (even after bendgate which was a widspread quality issue), and the media do not talk about the Apple problems as much as they do with other manifacturers, so chances are there will not be a fix or recall...

Reactions: maxsix
According to 9to5Mac the problem is real. Add a hissing or buzzing noise to the list of potential issues to check during the return period. This is the first time I hear of such an issue with a smartphone. Some have claimed that all iPhones make some noise but I ran Geekbench 3 on my 6s Plus while holding the device to my ear and heard nothing.

The problem you see is that you will likely be without a device if you return it within 14 days unless Apple makes some sort of concession extending the return to when they have stock.

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but the noise that is coming from the phone is the power circuit. This noise occurs in all electronics when more power is being used, in the iPhone's case, the CPU is drawing more power. If you put you laptop charger to your ear you will hear an audible hum. It is a similar occurrence as that in the iP7. This does occur inside of the actual laptops though, I have seen this happen on my early 2011 MacBook Pro, along with my Late 2005 PowerBook G4, and even old radios have this phenomenon.

Don't worry, your phone isn't going to explode, and Apple really can't do anything about it. The device isn't faulty, just a tad bit of poor engineering. However, the hum seems to be more prevalent in the 7+, probably because of the larger screen (draws more power). I guess we shall see what Apple does in the next few months regarding this.

Well, some people report this hiss, while others do not. I would say it's rather presumptuous to assume Apple can't do anything about it. Personally, if I was affected, I would see the device as faulty and any judge in a class action lawsuit would too ;)

They never make statements (even after bendgate which was a widspread quality issue), and the media do not talk about the Apple problems as much as they do with other manifacturers, so chances are there will not be a fix or recall...

Your comment is partly true. While Apple may not do a recall or publicly discuss any issue of this "light" magnitude, they will fix the issue...in the next version at the latest or even in subsequent productions, say, later on in the year.

Last edited:

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Oh so then the A9 would have been fine too if it made noise as it is more powerful than the A1-A8, so it can be as loud as all of them together. And your display is also fine with light bleeding as you now have 3D Touch which is more advanced. - Really?!?

Chips make noise! Get over it!

And I don't have bleeding on my screen...

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Tampa, FL
Like so many others here, I have this problem too. It's like a sizzling sound. Others have said it sounds like static, which I'd also say is accurate. I swear I almost hear some faint beeps to, but I don't believe it's coming from the speaker. It almost sounds like a faint dial up modem. It doesn't sound right to me.

From what I gather from reading this thread, I get the feeling mine is even louder than what others are experiencing. Sometimes I can hear it above videos when the volume is about a fifth of the way up. I tried recording a video with my iPad, but the microphone in the iPad isn't good enough to differentiate between the video playing and the sizzle sound on my iPhone 7 Plus (128).

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
iPhone 7 32GB matte black.

Ran GeekBench 4, held back of the phone to my ear, can hear what sounds like a very faint modem pattern noise (or Spectrum loading sound if you're a mid to late 30's gamer).

Doesn't concern me, the phone works as it should and I don't hear it unless I plaster the back of my phone to the side of my head.

Reactions: KimHansenDK

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
I compared 7 vs 6s side by side. I could hear a very faint noise when doing speedtest or running geekbench if I put my ear on the apple logo. 6s also has the exact same sound. I'm ok since there will not be any chance I put my ear on the logo ever again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.