Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Lets try to figure this out.

What models do the hissin/static iPhone people have? Verizon, ATT? THe ATT/T-Mobile is Intel and Verizon/Sprint is Qualcomm, so could there be a difference there somehow?

I have AT&T and hiss

chrizzz09

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Germany
My iPhone 5S does the same noise when I put my ear on the back of my phone. It does this even in standby, when the screen is off. Should I return it?

I don't know but I get the feeling that this year people try their hardest to find a "-gate" worthy fault in the iPhone 7. It gets ridiculous at this point. When something like this was even present in older models...

That said, if you could hear the noise when your phone is on the table a few feet away in a case, thats a different matter...but then again, on Laptops or power bricks you can hear those noises too at a few feet away from them..

Last edited:
Reactions: TurboPGT!

yashz

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
USA
I can hear the noise even when my phone that's in a case is lay flat on the desk which is how I usually use my phone. And I was just using a news app and an email app...and I never notice the noise before in any of my previous iPhones. I may just call apple support tomorrow to see what's going on.

Edited: mine is AT&T

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
But you will always be able hear some noise when recording a video - especially when turning the volume up.

The thing that I don't get is that most people can hear the "noise" if they press the back of the phone to their ears - but that it is also there on older 5/6 models. Wouldn't that mean that the "noise" has always been there?

I get that some might have a real problem with that "noise" if it can be heard from normal use, but I think that in most cases the problem has been blown way up if people can only hear the "noise" by pressing the back of the phone to their ear in a quiet room...

If the noise that people are hearing while recording a video is just constant white noise, that's not an IC.

The chip noise is going to be buzzing, chirping, clicking or a real whine. Some of the videos I've looked at on YouTube that supposedly show chip noise are nothing more than the mic picking up ambient noise and have nothing to do with whether there's chip noise.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
They never make statements (even after bendgate which was a widspread quality issue), and the media do not talk about the Apple problems as much as they do with other manifacturers, so chances are there will not be a fix or recall...

Yeah so personally I'm going to really worry about it. Can't make assumptions to say it's going to be an issue or not. None of us really know. So I'll hold on to mine and see what comes out of it.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
Yeah so personally I'm going to really worry about it. Can't make assumptions to say it's going to be an issue or not. None of us really know. So I'll hold on to mine and see what comes out of it.

You mean, you're "not" going to really worry about it.

Personally, I'm going to not mention the issue to my wife and see if she notices it on her new phone. If she doesn't, then it's a non issue. She usually a good indicator of if something is important or not. Haha.

Reactions: lyngo

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
You mean, you're "not" going to really worry about it.

Personally, I'm going to not mention the issue to my wife and see if she notices it on her new phone. If she doesn't, then it's a non issue. She usually a good indicator of if something is important or not. Haha.

I sure half of us wouldn't have noticed it on everyday use. I know I'm sure I wouldn't have put the rear of the phone to my ear. Lol.

Reactions: frozencarbonite

trparky

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Basically I think this issue is coming about because of the high frequencies that today's smartphone CPUs are running at.

maxlind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
Iowa
Nope that's definitely the noise, it's just amplified by the mic that's recording.

Definitely not fake... seems silly to think someone would even make this up... from my experience reaching out to Apple on Friday, they hadn't heard of the issue, but it seems with others running into the same, it's only a matter of time before it's addressed.

I'll get a replacement or Apple will figure it out... fret not from my end.

jamminj606

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2009
My att 7+ 128 has the buzz too.
Maybe all 7's have it? Will wait and keep a close eye on this issue.

Can really only hear it if I put my ear within an inch of the upper back of the phone. it's not constant. seems to get louder/more intense as the phones workload increases. It gets fairly loud using gps map directions, for example.

Probably wouldn't have even noticed if I didn't read these forums.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
That is definitely fake.

Surely that is not what people are hearing. That sounds like a distorted/broken speaker, coming from some other source.
nope thats it, but its amplified in the video, it is not nearly that loud at all. You have to stick your ear to the back of the phone, like plaster it there to hear it.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014

Yeah I'm sorta split. I feel like I should care because... buzzing isn't really good. But I just don't lol. Like you said, I'll hold onto mine for now and see what Apple has to say, if anything.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I can hear something if I put my ear to the back apple logo. I tested with the octane bench mark and san andreas. But unless we hear anything from apple is this even an issue though?

If it is an issue then would it be covered under warrenty or would now be a good time to purchase apple care +?

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
nope thats it, but its amplified in the video, it is not nearly that loud at all. You have to stick your ear to the back of the phone, like plaster it there to hear it.
Then the video is indeed disingenuous, to the point of being a fake representation. If you have to do that with the human ear, than even a very sensitive microphone is not going to pick it up the way the video demonstrates. The video is altered, to create a different impression. So my original assessment that the video is fake is indeed correct.

Reactions: chrizzz09

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
You guys should have gotten an iPhone 7 muahahahahahahahahaha!

No buzzing noises on mine. It's perfect lol

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I can hear it on the 7 Plus when there are applications open, which makes me think it's from the CPU.
Not hearing it at all on iPhone 7.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA

Listening again to the crackling noise on the recording I was suddenly reminded of Kellogg's Rice Krispies. I remember commercials where a kid would put his ear close to the cereal bowl to listen to the "Snap, Crackle, Pop" sound.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Listening again to the crackling noise on the recording I was suddenly reminded of Kellogg's Rice Krispies. I remember commercials where a kid would put his ear close to the cereal bowl to listen to the "Snap, Crackle, Pop" sound.

Frosted Flakes, ftw...... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.