Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
iMore is stating that the sound are perfectly normal and similar to every other previous device. Seems like reports have been largely exaggerated.

http://www.imore.com/no-hiss-buzz-not-unique-not-iphone-7-problem
My iPhone has never hissed. If you want to take video recordings or audio recordings without hiss, iPhone 7 is an issue. No underplaying this one, get a replacement.
[doublepost=1474444856][/doublepost]
iMore is stating that the sound are perfectly normal and similar to every other previous device. Seems like reports have been largely exaggerated.

http://www.imore.com/no-hiss-buzz-not-unique-not-iphone-7-problem
Imore don't know what they're talking about. They can't speak on behalf of everyone's experience with iPhone 7.

garymontague

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
So I've been using my phone for the past almost twelve hours. Jet Black 7+, the sound doesn't interfere with normal use, but it's the loudest when downloading apps and installing many at the same time. At those moments if you record a video or audio recording you will here the hissing noise given that the environment you're in is sufficiently quiet (<30dB ambient noise).

I hope we get an official statement regarding this soon.

Likewise mine has the sound when downloading apps. Noticed it straight away on setting up last night as I was re-installing most of my apps. Even downloading one app (just now) I have the sound (the phone isn't even doing anything intensive).

Thinking I may return and buy again at a later date in the hope that it is resolved.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Likewise mine has the sound when downloading apps. Noticed it straight away on setting up last night as I was re-installing most of my apps. Even downloading one app (just now) I have the sound (the phone isn't even doing anything intensive).

Thinking I may return and buy again at a later date in the hope that it is resolved.

Similar instance...heard during video recordings and HD calls. Hearing that in the background during calls was a deal breaker for me. I want to try one more time so I ordered online (2-3 week window). I figure if there is anything to sort out during production and this turns out not to be normal that it should be corrected by then. Otherwise I will return the phone and back to the 6S+ which I am fine with until next year. Last year I wasted so much time playing the return/repurchase lottery and will not go through it again.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Another issue is that the Mac Geniuses at the Apple store claim that they can't hear the buzzing at all. But this has more to do with the fact that they are in a place with loud background noise.

Either way it seems to only happen when there is some processing going on, but if you can hear this while taking a video then I would get it replaced.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
I am going to have a wild guess but the issue is related to the rubberization to make the iPhone waterproof. the pressure which is created because of the vaccuum, the air is trying to escape and every hiss means its trying to get out

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
Is it suggested that I return for another phone if I can hear it in video recordings slightly?

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
another theory is that Apple made the A10 processor extremely thin. ifixit especially mentioned it was oddly thin, could this result in a hiss?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I experience the hiss on my 7 Plus, but in my camera tests there was no discernible sound when recording with my 7 plus over my 6s Plus but I can totally see how this could be an issue for some.

Moac

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2012
What can I test to see if I have this issue?
I got my iPhone 7 (regular) Black version today and i hear nothing strange as of yet.

zhugzug

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
No hissing or buzzing for me (IPhone 7 Plus 128gb Verizon, I must be one of the lucky one's I hope you guys that do have it get it resolved to your satisfaction.

limey91

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
I found I could pic this noise up in video if I recorded at 4k in a quite room. There is a very audible hiss in the video, let me know if you want it uploaded to youtube.

oodi

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2015
I dont own an iPhone 7 yet. But I feel somewhat I'll like this sound :) It feels like a machine, somehow adds a character IMO.

By the way it doesnt exist in all iPhone 7 s. I remember techcrunch review where they tried to produce the sound with some heavy benchmark tests.

IFortWorth

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
I've been setting up my new iPhone 7 Plus for a couple hours now, so it has been busy updating and downloading apps, etc. From the front, (holding it up to my ear) I cannot hear the hiss. From the back I can hear it with no problem. With the back facing me I can hear it up to a foot away. It's not annoying or distracting, but it is concerning.

Reactions: BrightCanon

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
This sounds to me like the solid state storage being written to. I am hearing it on my 7+ while it is restoring, but not on my wife's - which is idle waiting for her 6 to backup to iCloud.

I don't think it's an issue at all. Once my ear is 1 cm or so away, I can't hear it anymore. I can't hear it from the same area on the front or when my ear is at the earpiece.

I can already hear the ghost of Steve Jobs saying, "You're listening to it wrong."

Non issue.

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
I've been setting up my new iPhone 7 Plus for a couple hours now, so it has been busy updating and downloading apps, etc. From the front, (holding it up to my ear) I cannot hear the hiss. From the back I can hear it with no problem. With the back facing me I can hear it up to a foot away. It's not annoying or distracting, but it is concerning.

I have the same issue with my 7+. Mine is like a faint coil whine. Mine gets louder when I swipe. I can't hear it with the screen facing me but if the back of the phone is facing me you can hear it over a foot away when swiping or recording video. Normally I wouldn't worry about it, but the mic is picking up the sound when I record videos. I have an appointment with Apple tomorrow, hopefully to get a replacement.

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
I have the same issue with my 7+. Mine is like a faint coil whine. Mine gets louder when I swipe. I can't hear it with the screen facing me but if the back of the phone is facing me you can hear it over a foot away. Normally I wouldn't worry about it, but the mic is picking up the sound when I record videos. I have an appointment with Apple tomorrow, hopefully to get a replacement.
Been on the phone all day with a Senior Advisor at apple. Sent him video showing the noise. He is working on getting me a replacement asap. Said that is definitely isn't normal and that today alone, more and more people are calling in about it.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
Been on the phone all day with a Senior Advisor at apple. Sent him video showing the noise. He is working on getting me a replacement asap. Said that is definitely isn't normal and that today alone, more and more people are calling in about it.

I wish that Rene Ritchie at iMore had the benefit of reading this thread before dismissing the processor noise issue as being "not only normal but expected."

MG999

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016

Please do let me know once youve received your replacement and if it does infact no longer have the issue. Thank you. Appreciate it.

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
I wish that Rene Ritchie at iMore had the benefit of reading this thread before dismissing the processor noise issue as being "not only normal but expected."
They are thinking it is two separate issues. They believe it could be a mic issue for the static in a video.
[doublepost=1474486868][/doublepost]
Please do let me know once youve received your replacement and if it does infact no longer have the issue. Thank you. Appreciate it.
It's probably going to be a while. I have to wait for the store to have one in stock. They couldn't express ship me one. I have an appointment for Saturday.

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
I would like to ascertain if there is a correlation between the various noise problems reported here and the factories at which the affected devices were manufactured. The first two letters or numbers in the serial number of an iPhone represent the factory. The serial number of my soon to be delivered iPhone 7 Plus begins with F2 which stands for the Foxconn factory at Zhengzhou.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.